F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Gauge cluster variations & steering wheels
Studio RSR

05-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Gauge cluster variations & steering wheels

I was looking over my 3 series brochure to find some information on the gauge clusters used in the 3 series.

It looks like there are at least 4 different gauge clusters.

In the base model the gauges are typical, nice and uncluttered, BMW style.
That cluster appears similar to the 'luxury' cluster, but something is a bit different, like the inner numerals are darker in comparison.

In the 'modern' line it's called "oyster", and has a lighter colored grayish circular area right in the middle where the needles sit inside.

In the 'luxury' line the gauge background is all black, at least in the day time mode, and overall appears much like the base cluster.

Then there is a slightly different cluster for the 'sport line' and Msport that adds red rings around the speedo and tach.

The last type is the "Extended" cluster that uses additional colors used for different readouts of the LCD.

I posted a thread indicating that the 'extended' cluster is unique when one orders NAV, Tech pkg, or adaptive cruise control.

The picts in the brochure weren't large enough to make out other differences.

Can people who have their 3's take a picture of your gauge cluster in day and night/lit mode? Then we can compare what they look like and get a better idea of what's what.
It would be great to see the 'luxury', 'modern', 'sport', and 'extended' versions.
I'd like to see what I may be missing out on as I don't intend to get any of those options that include the 'extended' cluster.
But, I may still get NAV, just not positive.

Also, there are at least 2 steering wheels sizes.
It appears that the base, luxury, and modern lines get the largest size, perhaps an inch or more in diameter.
The brochure states that the 'sport line' gets a smaller diameter wheel, and the Msport wheel is completely different in appearance but looks to be the same diameter as the sport line wheel.
The Msport is also thicker than the others, and I like that.
My 135i has a nice beefy wheel and it looks like the Msport wheel will be the same diameter.
I find the sport line wheel to be very nice, but it needs to be thicker, well at least in my opinon.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
not a good pic but here u go

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
OrangeDeep
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive

Bump

Anybody have a picture of a luxury line gauge cluster? Thanks!
Appreciate 0