F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Below Minimum Oil Level......
Extreme Powerhouse

06-25-2018, 05:39 AM   #1
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 320d ED F30

Below Minimum Oil Level......

Hi folks....

Quick history; approx 2 weeks ago, I inadvertently drove over a small traffic cone island (the cone was missing, and I was waved into a right turn by an oncoming motorist). This happened in Ely, and I live in Manchester.

Yes, I should've waited until I could see where/what I was turning into, but everything is better in hindsight. Expensive mistake!

The resultant injury was a cracked oil sump. I had to call the AA, and they were great. Took me to a local garage in Ely, and the repair was carried out the next day. The garage managed to find a refurbished sump, and then put fresh oil in, together with a new oil filter.

This took place on a Wednesday, and I had my car booked in for a full service on the following Monday (at a different garage, back in Manchester). The car did not receive a full oil change, as it has clearly just been done after the sump replacement.

Fast forward 2 weeks, and I'm driving to Cambridge from Manchester today (I do about 750-800 miles a week). I'm around 50 miles into a 177 mile journey, and the oil warning message comes up 'Oil level is at the minimum level, please top up with one litre asap'.

Okay, strange I thought, as I have had the car around a year, and it's never once gave me this warning. Ever, and that's after doing 35,000 miles in 10 months!

As I'm pulling off the M11 into the Park & Ride, the warning light comes on again, and it says that I am now below the minimum level and to add oil as a matter of urgency.

Is this normal? I'm guessing it's not.

I called the garage who did the repair (he's a respected garage, and an ex-AA man, who also races a BMW. He was a friend of the AA man. I checked the garage online too, and he is very reputable) and told him my woes. He explained that I needed to actually check the oil level with the dip stick to confirm the level reading was correct and it wasn't a faulty sensor (I should've thought of this myself, but I'm thinking the worst already).

Checked the oil level with the dipstick, it's low. It's on the bottom line, as per the warning message.

I called the garage back, and he said, that it could possibly be that as the sump was off, and replaced, that the car actually needed more oil than stated, and the amount he put in the engine. He recommends putting oil in (obviously), and reporting back to him.

Does this sound possible? I'm putting oil in later when I get back to the car. So, I will be able to find out.

Car is F30 320d ED 2014.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

The first thing to do will be to top up the oil to the max mark on the dipstick then go from there.

Try and find a large piece of cardboard or similar and leave under car to see if anything's dripping
Appreciate 1
PFC6.00
      06-25-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Its entirely possible as the garage has said that it didn't have enough in when the sump was done.

There is a definite difference in amount of oil needed for a standard oil change than a full engine strip so it's plausible that it may need a bit extra now the engine has been run.

As has been said, top it up to max and see where you go from there.

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13293.00
      06-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Agree with above ^
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I'm topping it up tonight, and will see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep

I know it's been some time since I posted my OP. But, the saga is still going on....

I topped the oil up, and eventually managed to drop it off at the garage that did the repair (I was on holiday, so couldn't get it back for a little while).

** I can prove it's leaking, as I left cardboard underneath, and there were oil spots the morning after. The leaks stop once the engine is off, suggesting the leak was from the seal, as the oil drops to the sump once the engine is not running. The engine leaks more oil when driving, and driving fast and for longer distances. I think this is pressure based, as leaving the engine running (idling), there does not appear to be any leaks. **

The garage said they couldn't see any obvious leaks coming from any where, so they took the sump off again, and put it back on. Filled it up with oil, and left the sealant to go off for 24 hours.

I picked the car up, and drove it.

I checked the oil level after each journey, and it didn't move for a couple of days. I think this was based on mileage. After day 4, I had lost a quarter of a litre (approx).

Anyway, it's still losing oil, and I've spoken to the garage and arranged a courtesy car, as I cannot keep doing this.

They need to identify the leak, which can be hard, as it only leaks when the car is being driven, and the engine is providing enough pressure to force the oil out of wherever it seems to be coming from.

I will update once they hopefully locate the problem.

Feel free to suggest things/places they should be checking.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

Surely there will be some signs on the engine where it has been leaking from ?

The oil pressure will be proportional to engine speed rather than road speed so with the car on a ramp and the undertrays removed and revved to say 4000 rpm the leak ought to be evident if it's losing as much as you say.

I'd be concentrating on checking anything that might have been damaged in the accident, possibly it was not just the sump that was damaged although any half decent garage ought to have checked things over when the sump was being replaced
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #8
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
Surely there will be some signs on the engine where it has been leaking from ?

The oil pressure will be proportional to engine speed rather than road speed so with the car on a ramp and the undertrays removed and revved to say 4000 rpm the leak ought to be evident if it's losing as much as you say.

I'd be concentrating on checking anything that might have been damaged in the accident, possibly it was not just the sump that was damaged although any half decent garage ought to have checked things over when the sump was being replaced
Use a chalk developer spray and coat the underside of the engine and pipe joins. Any leak will show up clear as day. It will completely remove the guesswork from finding the leak.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
Use a chalk developer spray and coat the underside of the engine and pipe joins. Any leak will show up clear as day. It will completely remove the guesswork from finding the leak.
Thanks for this... this is what I will be saying to the garage.

As previous poster to you said, any decent garage should of checked the area for other damage.

It's a huge inconvenience to the both of us now.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Sounds like a lot of oil to put in. If he is that good then the job should have been done properly. How much do you trust your dipstick? Drain it and start over I say. Easiest way. That way you can add the correct amount.

I agree with checking for damage.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 04:54 AM   #11
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Could the refurbished sump be warped and leaking?

The other day I was watching a Wheeler Dealers where a refurbished gearbox sump had been over-torqued on fitting and was leaking as it was slightly warped. To much for the gasket to cope with as the oil warmed and became less viscous.
      07-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #12
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

Thought the sumps were plastic on the non-x-drive models ?

Not sure how one could be warped.

Also don't understand how a sump can be 'refurbished' ? Surely you'd just buy a new one ?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #13
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
Thought the sumps were plastic on the non-x-drive models ?

Not sure how one could be warped.

Also don't understand how a sump can be 'refurbished' ? Surely you'd just buy a new one ?
Fair point, I've never looked to see what it is made from.

However, sump on Tv was metal and the retaining bolts had been over torqued, compressing the gasket and warping the sump pan. So, just a thought. It was a classic car, so refurbished was a real option here. Not so sure why on an F3X though...

Funny that xDrives would have metal vs plastic on sDrives. To go with that extra 15mm you get a proper off reader... lol

I've never looked under the car properly, but most of what I can see is an abundance of plastic cladding on my sDrive.
      07-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #14
Sasquartch
Major
Rep

I'm guessing the Wheeler Dealers you mentioned was the one with the blue Camaro

Quite a cool car, think they did a decent job unlike some of the other American cars
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #15
alex1992
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series f30

Hey man did you find the source of the leak?

Alex
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #16
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep

Just a small update (well there is no update really).....

Car is in the garage now, and I have to wait and see.

For the questions....

Refurbished sump was a lot cheaper than a new one, which is only available from BMW. The sump is made from metal.

I have mentioned this to the mechanic (small cracks, sump plug gasket, etc), as well as the interfaces with the oil pump, oil gauge, etc.

The car is in, and I requested he give me a courtesy car, as I this is a massive inconvenience to me (and him, as it's now unpaid work).

If he identifies something which he should of spotted originally, then I'll happily pay for the parts. But it has taken me multiple visits, oil top ups, taxis, etc just to get to this stage. I know it doesn't help that I'm working away from home, and also my digs are 25 miles away from my project.....

Hopefully, he can find it. He still didn't believe it's physically leaking. Until I showed him where my car was parked after dropping it off. The small amount of oil on the ground outside his garage proved it, as well as the fact I'm losing a litre in 10-12 days (approx 1600 miles in my case).

Will update this week, when I get it back, hopefully.......
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:00 AM   #17
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep

So, if anyone's after an update.....

I'm picking my car up tonight, and the garage have replaced a gasket/seal in the dipstick tube.

He had it on the ramp, running at 2500RPM, for over 2 hours. He couldn't see anything from anywhere until he ran his mirror around the engine.

Apparently, he saw some small bubbles coming from the area where the dipstick tube enters the engine, and chose to replace the seal/gasket here. The part was ordered directly from BMW.

Hopefully, this is it. I'll let you all know in a few days, after I've put some mileage on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #18
CL53
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokka9 View Post
So, if anyone's after an update.....

I'm picking my car up tonight, and the garage have replaced a gasket/seal in the dipstick tube.

He had it on the ramp, running at 2500RPM, for over 2 hours. He couldn't see anything from anywhere until he ran his mirror around the engine.

Apparently, he saw some small bubbles coming from the area where the dipstick tube enters the engine, and chose to replace the seal/gasket here. The part was ordered directly from BMW.

Hopefully, this is it. I'll let you all know in a few days, after I've put some mileage on it.
Looking promising, hopefully nothing further leaks!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #19
shokka9
United Kingdom
Rep

After picking up my car on a Thursday, the Friday drive back to Manchester would of been the biggest test...... or so I thought.

I lost oil, well the computer told me I had. It's been accurate so far, so no need to doubt it.

I thought nothing had changed, and was honestly annoyed as this was becoming a repetitive pattern that I wasn't enjoying. I was actually going to call the garage that evening and have it out with them.

But I decided not to for some reason. I continued to read the oil measurements for another 8 days, over 1100 miles. It hasn't moved (dropped) since that Friday drive.

I've purposely parked in different places to ensure that I wasn't leaving oil patches, and I haven't.

So, it seemed to be fixed, finally! Thank god.

I drove back to the garage this week, and he saw me pull up, and walked out to meet me, looking all sheepish. I got out the car, and shouted 'Do you want the good news or the bad news?'. He put his hands on his head in despair..... then I told him it seemed to be fixed. The relief on his face proved to me that he was as annoyed about this as I was.

To add to this, I took a new job back in Manchester, which I start next week, so I wouldn't of been able to leave my car with him again.

Drama over, and I can enjoy my car again.
Appreciate 0