F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > WTB: Winter tires / wheel set
proTUNING Freaks

07-20-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Deli
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

WTB: Winter tires / wheel set

Hi Everyone,

Before I go buy new on Tirerack.com. I'm wondering if anyone in the area is selling their winter tire setup for the GT since this is different than the standard 3 series. I'm looking for 18 in wheels to be able to fit over my Msport brakes. Does not need to be runflats.

Cheers,

Adam
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This is a good source for used OEM rims:
http://www.originalwheels.com/bmw-wh...gt2015rims.php
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
G20t99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 GT

I'm looking for winter tires too.

I was considering getting a set of steel wheels and some thick winter tires for when I inevitably hit pot holes.

Is this even possible? I know I have the staggered set-up but I don't have the M-brakes.

Where should I look to order this wheel/tire combo?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #4
Deli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G20t99 View Post
I'm looking for winter tires too.

I was considering getting a set of steel wheels and some thick winter tires for when I inevitably hit pot holes.

Is this even possible? I know I have the staggered set-up but I don't have the M-brakes.

Where should I look to order this wheel/tire combo?

Thanks
I've been told you don't need staggered for winter wheels and that it's actually better to have square stance if you can, but I could be wrong. I have the Msport brakes so I need to go with 18s, but I agree that the more rubber the better. I'll most likely be looking at tirerack since I've looked for used without much luck. Otherwise I'll buy a used set of f30 rims and head to the local tire shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
G20t99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
I've been told you don't need staggered for winter wheels and that it's actually better to have square stance if you can, but I could be wrong. I have the Msport brakes so I need to go with 18s, but I agree that the more rubber the better. I'll most likely be looking at tirerack since I've looked for used without much luck. Otherwise I'll buy a used set of f30 rims and head to the local tire shop.

Thanks for the reply. Guess ill head over to a tire store and see what kind of steel wheels and winter tires I can put on.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #6
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Winter wheels

I had Staggered wheels on my 2002 M3; 2011 1m Coupe and never had staggered wheels.I'vew had winter tires and wheels on all my cars since 1992. I just feel more secure. I'm opting for the BMW package for the following reasons.

1. Tire rack uses centering rings on the hubs. this means that the wheel is not actually made for the car and they are making it fit. I've never trusted that .

2.For my 1m I had a wheel without the tire monitor and hads to cover the Tire sensor light on the dash so as not to drive myself crazy.

3. You don't have to worry if the wheel rubs the wrong way or have to use spacers which rust to the hub and are just awful to get off in the spring.

4. I priced out Tirerack and by the time I priced out BBS wheels which fit he car and tires the price was the same. Also if I buy from the dealer they store the tires I'm not using and do the swap for me. I still have 6 race tires and wheels from my 1m days and am tired of storing wheels and tires. I'll be glad when my son comes and gets the stuff I am giving him from the 1m.

I guess since I come from a competition backgroung I just dont trust centering rings and spacers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deli View Post
Hi Everyone,

Before I go buy new on Tirerack.com. I'm wondering if anyone in the area is selling their winter tire setup for the GT since this is different than the standard 3 series. I'm looking for 18 in wheels to be able to fit over my Msport brakes. Does not need to be runflats.

Cheers,

Adam
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
Deli
Rep

hollysmac Thank you for the response. Very good things to consider. I've used center rings in the past, but agree they aren't ideal. I'm not searching forums and craigslist to find a set of used rims that I can put tires on separate since I know the diameters are different between the F30 and the F34. Just to confirm, there isn't a difference in offset or anything between the rims of the F30 and F34, correct? They should all be interchangeable and only the tires themselves are different? Any difference in TPMS between the two?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #8
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
I had Staggered wheels on my 2002 M3; 2011 1m Coupe and never had staggered wheels.I'vew had winter tires and wheels on all my cars since 1992. I just feel more secure. I'm opting for the BMW package for the following reasons.

1. Tire rack uses centering rings on the hubs. this means that the wheel is not actually made for the car and they are making it fit. I've never trusted that .

2.For my 1m I had a wheel without the tire monitor and hads to cover the Tire sensor light on the dash so as not to drive myself crazy.

3. You don't have to worry if the wheel rubs the wrong way or have to use spacers which rust to the hub and are just awful to get off in the spring.

4. I priced out Tirerack and by the time I priced out BBS wheels which fit he car and tires the price was the same. Also if I buy from the dealer they store the tires I'm not using and do the swap for me. I still have 6 race tires and wheels from my 1m days and am tired of storing wheels and tires. I'll be glad when my son comes and gets the stuff I am giving him from the 1m.

I guess since I come from a competition backgroung I just dont trust centering rings and spacers.
my bbs-sr came with a centering ring. i was hesitant at first but it seems like just a 2mm thick metal round coil/wire much less of a deal than i expected. i almost feel like it would be okay if the ring wasnt even there because the rest of the metal seems pretty flush.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #9
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I would consider 225/55-17 for snow tires on 17"wheels

I have michelin x3 snow tires on the base GT M Sport model 17" take off wheels. The main advantage is their ability to handle pot holes and rough pavement without flats. They are also more comfortable, and less expensive. If you have good roads 18" 225/50-18 are ok but if you have frost bumps, pot holes etc consider 225/55-17. cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:32 AM   #10
Deli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwhmts View Post
I have michelin x3 snow tires on the base GT M Sport model 17" take off wheels. The main advantage is their ability to handle pot holes and rough pavement without flats. They are also more comfortable, and less expensive. If you have good roads 18" 225/50-18 are ok but if you have frost bumps, pot holes etc consider 225/55-17. cheers
I would like to go with 17's but was told with the Msport brakes that I have, that 18's are the minimum I should go. I have 19's now, so any extra sidewall during winter will help. I'm also leaning towards the Michelin X3's as I've heard they ride better than Blizzaks and have better tread life.

Just to confirm with people that know BMW much better than me, there is no difference in the rims between the GT and a standard 3 series, right? Just the tire sizing is different? I looked online and this appears to be the case, but I want to triple check before buying a set of extra 3 series rims online.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I will try to get you photos. My car is a 2014 328 GT M Sport package. I was told the same but saw photos with my same car with 17" 225/55-17 tires. That is the stock size for the base model. Its also the stock size of the base 5 series. I put the base model GT wheels which I bought on ebay and had the Michelin X3 snow tires mounted on them. The ride is plush and I prefer the 17" wheels to my 18" wheels with 225/50-18,s. Mind you its because the roads and pot holes are rough near me. The 18's look good but the 17's ride great.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep

also the GT rims are different to the standard 3 series wheels. I think its the offset
primarily.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #13
Deli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwhmts View Post
also the GT rims are different to the standard 3 series wheels. I think its the offset
primarily.
Thanks for the feedback. I actually was doing more research last night on wheel-size.com and it says that there isn't any difference between the 3 series wheels and the 3 series GT wheels. It makes sense that these are massed produced so having the only difference be the tire dimensions makes sense from a bean counter standpoint. I actually found some lightly used set of wheels off a 335i on craigslist so I'm going to go look at them tonight. Then I can put whatever tire I want and still be cheaper than ordering new from tirerack. Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0