F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Lowering suspension on sport + mode?
Studio RSR

06-25-2018, 07:14 PM   #23
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by torkles View Post
guys. i'm not claiming there's an overboost function. the reason the car feels faster in sport mode with the gas pedal pushed less than in comfort is because the computer is asking for more boost/fuel at that throttle position than it does in comfort mode. this is how cars work.

do yourself a test - on a private highway somewhere, in comfort mode, push the throttle in so that you are slightly accelerating. then, without moving your foot or downshifting, push the button in to sport mode. you'll feel the car start accelerating faster. and if you log it, you'll see there's more boost. throttle position has to translate to actual engine parameter changes in order for there to be 'more throttle response'.

Two things some BMW's has/had the overboost function. My 335is was factory rated at normally at 332ftlbs & 370ftlbs during overboost for short intervals about 10 seconds.

Second you are confusing throttle position vs throttle opening for more boost due to the button push.

In comfort (example numbers not specific) your pedal position might be at 50% of its range but the engine is only seeing 25%. When you push the button the throttle mapping program changes now both the pedal & engine are in sync at 50% so the car accelerates.

There is no change in the engine parameters it just now sees the throttle pedal at 50% not 25%. The engine is just reacting to the new throttle position, not changing its parameters.

No difference then taking a normal car from 25% throttle to 50% throttle. You step on the gas it goes faster.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      06-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #24
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Quote:
guys. i'm not claiming there's an overboost function. the reason the car feels faster in sport mode with the gas pedal pushed less than in comfort is because the computer is asking for more boost/fuel at that throttle position than it does in comfort mode. this is how cars work.

do yourself a test - on a private highway somewhere, in comfort mode, push the throttle in so that you are slightly accelerating. then, without moving your foot or downshifting, push the button in to sport mode. you'll feel the car start accelerating faster. and if you log it, you'll see there's more boost. throttle position has to translate to actual engine parameter changes in order for there to be 'more throttle response'.
That's like saying sports mode makes it inject more fuel, or changes the timing. Throttle position is the main input, and that's what's being manipulated. All of the other variables are adjusted based on throttle position.

Instead of logging boost when switching modes, log boost when comfort mode shows 50% throttle vs when sports mode shows 50% throttle. You'll see what we are talking about. Boost request for a given throttle position at the same rpm is the same.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
torkles
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i MSport 6mt

interesting. thanks for the lesson. i guess i thought the system was more sophisticated than just retarding throttle input in comfort mode.
kern4174442.00
      06-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #26
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by exl_ent_v6 View Post
A prior vehicle i had, a Grand Cherokee Overland had that feature. It would drop 2" in sport/highway mode... was pretty cool!
That actually is there as a fuel saving feature!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #27
metallicpea
Major
Rep
Drives: 320i ZSP & E46 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scostu View Post
Not making fun of you or disrespecting...…...just educating.....

http://www.boston-bmwcca.org/referen...er-beemer.aspx
I just don't use either term in reference to a car. You can't win.

I have been aware of this difference for a fairly long time, but to be honest only BMW geeks like us are aware or give a shit, so using the term is more trouble than it's worth. Either someone tries to correct you, or they don't know what you are talking about, or you sound like a pedantic tool. In any event, you can't win. I almost never hear it used with other BMW enthusiasts in my neck of the woods.

You might even get in a fight with this guy. According to the movie he sells cars not motorcyles. Not suggesting the film industry is correct, just that in common use it is the wrong way around much more often than not.
Attached Images

2016 F30 320i ZSP
2003 E46 325it ZSP 5MT
Appreciate 1
scostu1619.50
      06-29-2018, 08:22 AM   #28
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:

With the shift that occurs from Comfort into Sport mode on the TPS, the outcome will always be more boost, as the car's throttle is further engaged, which will lead to higher revs and also higher boost - but this doesn't necessarily correlate one with the other. Though I do know exactly what you mean about switching modes with the throttle engaged ever so slightly. It's a placebo effect power-wise, but there's fundamental logic behind why it occurs, no doubt.
      07-17-2018, 07:44 PM   #29
Crjetlife
United_States
Rep
Drives: Activehybrid 3 M sport package

Quote:
how do you think they get the pedal to be more "sensitive"? your fuel maps and boost maps change.

check your vin and see if you have adaptive suspension. you can be m-sport and adaptive.

https://www.bmwvin.com/

yes, that's true. sport+ relaxes some of the stability control, but that's fairly obvious.
Thank you!!
Appreciate 0