F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > quick coilover install question
GetBMWParts

07-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

quick coilover install question

I have just fitted KW V3 on my 335i F30 RWD sedan.

I can't figure out if the brake line has to run behind the coilover, or in front?

both ways seem to work, im not sure if it even matters? Behind seems to make sense but with the long sway bar end link I am second guessing myself....

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by quick_335i; 07-04-2018 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick_335i View Post
I have just fitted KW V3 on my 335i F30 RWD sedan.

I can't figure out if the brake line has to run behind the coilover, or in front?

both ways seem to work, im not sure if it even matters? Behind seems to make sense but with the long sway bar end link I am second guessing myself....

Thanks!
I ran mine behind as you have in the first picture
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Run it in the stock location with the stock bracket. The KW bracket is somewhat arbitrary and doesn't align with all the lines on our cars. That's my experience with my KW V1 and what I've seen others do as well.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Run it in the stock location with the stock bracket. The KW bracket is somewhat arbitrary and doesn't align with all the lines on our cars. That's my experience with my KW V1 and what I've seen others do as well.
Yea exactly, it tripped me out at first I thought the left/right coil overs were mislabeled because the bracket looks just like the OEM one but it's sticking out on the wrong side.
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      07-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Is your car still under factory warranty? Running the brake line in the original location will reduce questions from the BMW dealer when performing inspection and repairs under warranty.
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

No warranty, but I don't want any loose lines.

I don't remember how I removed that factory bracket but will look it up and do it this way, behind the coilover.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #7
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

If anyone has photos of how the bracket goes on that would be helpful!

This is the only way I see it going, but It gets really close to the body of the car, Doesn't help I mixed up L and R, I didn't think I would be re-using them.
Attached Images

Last edited by quick_335i; 07-05-2018 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

You see the bolt hole at the top of the knuckle? The one that clamps down on the bottom of the strut/coilover? The bolt that goes in there should thread through the hole in the bracket.

The OEM bracket should be pointed to the rear of the car. Same side of the shock as your brake caliper. The KW bracket will point to the front.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks so much! Got all the brackets on and it looks great.

Only thing I’m concerned about is the driver sway bar endlink faces the rear of the car and the passenger faces the front?

The driver endlink has the nut on the rear, and the passenger has the nut on the front.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal, or if my coilover spun in the knuckle and needs adjusting. (There is a locking pin on kw coilover but mine were used and one was broken off, did my best to align it when fitting them).

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #10
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found this thread same issue I’m having, I might have the wrong coilovers......

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1083596

photos showing the box, coilovers part number, and the passenger sway bar end link that seems to be facing the other way.

I hope I don't have to put the stock struts on after all this....His issue was the coilers were for EDC car and his car was non EDC.

My car is EDC and the coilovers came with the EDC modules.

I tried calling KW and I keep getting a voicemail with no return call.
Attached Images

Last edited by quick_335i; 07-06-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

confirmed my car is in fact non EDC, these won't fit.

Im going to see if KW can sell me just the front coilover body and I can change everything over.

If not looks like these will be up for sale and Ill be hunting for KW coilovers or take the easy route with H&R springs.

My stock sport shocks have 120,000km so I was leaning away from springs to avoid killing the struts (anyone have experience with this? how long do stock struts last with springs?)

thanks everyone hope this thread helps someone else. EDC and non EDC coilovers are completely different and are not just sensors like I thought!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #12
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

That doesn't make sense to me. The shock part number in your pics is 200 1034, and according to their documentation that is the shock for cars without EDC.

Link: http://www.kwsuspensions.com/extras/...Q/3522000F.pdf

Also, both end links will face opposite ways. It doesn't make a difference for operation. It's because there's one part number for the end links so they are all 90* turned in the same direction.

For reference, I have "EDC" coilovers on my non-EDC car. It works fine. I actually double checked before hand and the shocks for both systems are in fact the same. This is my driver's side. No pic of the passenger's side but I remember it being like yours, although your alignment may be pushing it farther back then it should be.

Last edited by kern417; 07-07-2018 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:02 AM   #13
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
That doesn't make sense to me. The shock part number in your pics is 200 1034, and according to their documentation that is the shock for cars without EDC.

Also, both end links will face opposite ways. It doesn't make a difference for operation. It's because there's one part number for the end links so they are all 90* turned in the same direction.

For reference, I have "EDC" coilovers on my non-EDC car. It works fine. I actually double checked before hand and the shocks for both systems are in fact the same. This is my driver's side. No pic of the passenger's side but I remember it being like yours, although your alignment may be pushing it farther back then it should be.
True. Kw uses the same shocks for xdrive and rwd as well, front and rear. For the edc installations they just include a closed loop circuit for the oem edc connector that would originally connect to the shocks.

Unless you opt for the kw shocks that are direct performance replacements for edc.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      07-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #14
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

I hope you guys are right!!!!! I have time today and am going to torque everything down, and see how it is with wheels on.

kW on the phone told me that my setup is part number:

352200G and that I need 352200F
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
quick_335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

So before I put the wheels on I tested out full lock steering each way and it doesn't look good, pictures attached of the end link hitting when turning left, was yours like this?

I tried loading the front suspension to see if I gain clearance but it does not look like it helps.

Should I put the wheels on and try to drive like this? really don't want to do any damage.

third photo is clearance at the brake bracket, it tight but this one gets further away as the suspension is loaded.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #16
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
True. Kw uses the same shocks for xdrive and rwd as well, front and rear. For the edc installations they just include a closed loop circuit for the oem edc connector that would originally connect to the shocks.

Unless you opt for the kw shocks that are direct performance replacements for edc.
Glad someone agrees with me. I made this thread a while back because a lot of people didn't believe me that they were interchangeable. The coilovers on my car are technically for an f31 xdrive.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1489787

Quote:
So before I put the wheels on I tested out full lock steering each way and it doesn't look good, pictures attached of the end link hitting when turning left, was yours like this?

I tried loading the front suspension to see if I gain clearance but it does not look like it helps.

Should I put the wheels on and try to drive like this? really don't want to do any damage.

third photo is clearance at the brake bracket, it tight but this one gets further away as the suspension is loaded.
I didn't check steering lock to lock but that is how my endlink was aligned on the passenger's side. I assumed that the bushings would allow appropriate rotation and the sway bar would rotate as needed one the car was on the ground. Again, haven't had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:

Glad someone agrees with me. I made this thread a while back because a lot of people didn't believe me that they were interchangeable. The coilovers on my car are technically for an f31 xdrive.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1489787

Quote:

I didn't check steering lock to lock but that is how my endlink was aligned on the passenger's side. I assumed that the bushings would allow appropriate rotation and the sway bar would rotate as needed one the car was on the ground. Again, haven't had any issues.
Yes it's the same interchangeable Lego world with Audis. I expected BMW to be the same as they mass produce vehicles just the same, and it's engineering best practice to Don't Repeat YourSelf.

It's funny because in a separate thread, here, I posted the same kind of information, and some of the posters there still didn't want to believe me. So I went looking for a post which I believed I had seen on Bimmerpost, only realizing that it was actually on Facebook, so I screenshot it from there.

Small world that it was actually your post hahaha. There are also a couple of other members here that have posted about using differing f series coilovers, but it's hard to sift through and find them on the mobile app
Attached Images

F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
kern4174445.00
      07-09-2018, 07:03 AM   #18
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's the same interchangeable Lego world with Audis. I expected BMW to be the same as they mass produce vehicles just the same, and it's engineering best practice to Don't Repeat YourSelf.

It's funny because in a separate thread, here, I posted the same kind of information, and some of the posters there still didn't want to believe me. So I went looking for a post which I believed I had seen on Bimmerpost, only realizing that it was actually on Facebook, so I screenshot it from there.

Small world that it was actually your post hahaha. There are also a couple of other members here that have posted about using differing f series coilovers, but it's hard to sift through and find them on the mobile app
Yep that was me. I really got crapped on in that thread because everyone called me cheap (hence my title on here) but I got them for a ridiculous deal and figured worst case scenario, i put the stock suspension back on and call it a day. But I have had 0 issues and my research confirmed what I thought was the case. We're lucky because KW publishes their specs to that detail unlike many other suspension manufacturers, so it was easy to prove.

Honestly I love KW as a company and know they are very reputable, but our application appears to be as parts-bin as it gets.

-Incorrect bracket welded on the shock body? It's ok, it doesn't interfere with anything.
-Shock diameter too small for your knuckle? Here's a brass bushing to fill in the gap.
- Your car sags too much in the rear? Here's a plastic spacer to squeeze between the springs.

Over all I like the ride and performance but I think they could have done better job of tailoring the kits for the F30 models.
Appreciate 1
EDWYER1669.50
      07-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #19
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Yep that was me. I really got crapped on in that thread because everyone called me cheap (hence my title on here) but I got them for a ridiculous deal and figured worst case scenario, i put the stock suspension back on and call it a day. But I have had 0 issues and my research confirmed what I thought was the case. We're lucky because KW publishes their specs to that detail unlike many other suspension manufacturers, so it was easy to prove.

Honestly I love KW as a company and know they are very reputable, but our application appears to be as parts-bin as it gets.

-Incorrect bracket welded on the shock body? It's ok, it doesn't interfere with anything.
-Shock diameter too small for your knuckle? Here's a brass bushing to fill in the gap.
- Your car sags too much in the rear? Here's a plastic spacer to squeeze between the springs.

Over all I like the ride and performance but I think they could have done better job of tailoring the kits for the F30 models.
I can see where you're coming from but I feel I need to address your points. I have V2's, but I'm assuming they are more recent models.

1) I did not have an incorrect bracket welded to my set, only the required sway bar mounts.

2) All premium coilovers I know of have this sleeve, even the lauded Ohlins R&T.

3) My kit came with a purple aluminum spring seat and helper spring. Whilst it's not a single spring, it does help keep the rear end quieter when going over uneven surfaces.

Like I said, I understand your parts bin point and agree to an extent, but they are no more guilty of this practice than any other coilover manufacturer I know of.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #20
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
I can see where you're coming from but I feel I need to address your points. I have V2's, but I'm assuming they are more recent models.

1) I did not have an incorrect bracket welded to my set, only the required sway bar mounts.

2) All premium coilovers I know of have this sleeve, even the lauded Ohlins R&T.

3) My kit came with a purple aluminum spring seat and helper spring. Whilst it's not a single spring, it does help keep the rear end quieter when going over uneven surfaces.

Like I said, I understand your parts bin point and agree to an extent, but they are no more guilty of this practice than any other coilover manufacturer I know of.
What shocks do you have? I have V1s and OP has V3s and they are the same design with the additional bracket. Could have been a change made over time though since both of us bought ours used and you may have purchased new/more recently. But I've checked several threads in the classifieds and they all show pictures with the extra bracket, including on Street Comforts.

And this is the first platform where i've run into the brass sleeve. KWs on volkswagens do not have the sleeves. What other platforms use it? And I don't see a sleeve on BC racing coils, H&R coils, or Bilsteins. So not sure why that would be considered common.

And I have no problem with helper springs. I'm talking about the 1" spacers that they started including in kits to fix the sag in the rear, because after the initial run people reported that the rear was too low even at the highest setting. A base spring of the proper length would fix that issue, but I'm assuming it's limited based on shock travel as well and would require a lot more changes to their rear suspension offering. So now you have a black adjustable perch, main spring, purple seat, helper spring, AND an additional spacer.

Fine, I get it, but shows the cost cutting that went on in our platforms design. Especially being that the spacers weren't provided until a while after release and they got complaints.

Talking about this guy
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kw-suspe...h/65030046~kw/

After complaints like these
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1101953
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1364950
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=741388
Appreciate 1
Lancelot567.50
      07-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #21
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
What shocks do you have? I have V1s and OP has V3s and they are the same design with the additional bracket. Could have been a change made over time though since both of us bought ours used and you may have purchased new/more recently. But I've checked several threads in the classifieds and they all show pictures with the extra bracket, including on Street Comforts.

And this is the first platform where i've run into the brass sleeve. KWs on volkswagens do not have the sleeves. What other platforms use it? And I don't see a sleeve on BC racing coils, H&R coils, or Bilsteins. So not sure why that would be considered common.

And I have no problem with helper springs. I'm talking about the 1" spacers that they started including in kits to fix the sag in the rear, because after the initial run people reported that the rear was too low even at the highest setting. A base spring of the proper length would fix that issue, but I'm assuming it's limited based on shock travel as well and would require a lot more changes to their rear suspension offering. So now you have a black adjustable perch, main spring, purple seat, helper spring, AND an additional spacer.

Fine, I get it, but shows the cost cutting that went on in our platforms design. Especially being that the spacers weren't provided until a while after release and they got complaints.

Talking about this guy
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-kw-suspe...h/65030046~kw/

After complaints like these
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1101953
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1364950
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=741388
KW V2's

Mine does not have a bracket welded on at all, they reuse the OE one and retain the stock points.

The brass sleeves are only common enough for KW and Ohlins to use them, not wanting to go on a goose chase, they aren't of much concern to me.

The helper spring is included in newer kits specifically to replace the spacer you're talking about and address that problem. Admittedly, this was a concern when I was shopping as I came across those threads in the process. But, I can only speak from my experience, I cannot explain or defend the problems other people had (that was not the intention of my post), I can only say I did not have them.

If buying KW for an F30, buy new if afraid of running into these issues. Not disagreeing with you (on the spacer/sag issue), but at this point, these concerns are for someone looking to purchase used.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 08:04 PM   #22
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
KW V2's

Mine does not have a bracket welded on at all, they reuse the OE one and retain the stock points.

The brass sleeves are only common enough for KW and Ohlins to use them, not wanting to go on a goose chase, they aren't of much concern to me.

The helper spring is included in newer kits specifically to replace the spacer you're talking about and address that problem. Admittedly, this was a concern when I was shopping as I came across those threads in the process. But, I can only speak from my experience, I cannot explain or defend the problems other people had (that was not the intention of my post), I can only say I did not have them.

If buying KW for an F30, buy new if afraid of running into these issues. Not disagreeing with you (on the spacer/sag issue), but at this point, these concerns are for someone looking to purchase used.
Just FYI, my kit came with both (helper spring and the spacer). Without the helper spring, the main spring becomes unloaded when the rear suspension is at full extension. Unless that's the case for yours, it's really not adding anything height-wise because the helper spring compresses fully as soon as you lower the car. Otherwise all it does is keep some tension on the main spring. You can see in this pic with the car jacked up, the helper spring is already extending to keep the main spring in place. When the car is on the ground it's maybe giving a 1/4" of additional height, if that.
Appreciate 0