F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > IDrive Boot Loop - Then Works fine...
proTUNING Freaks

08-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #1
Andrewthewhite
Registered
Rep
Drives: 428i Convertible

Garage List
IDrive Boot Loop - Then Works fine...

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all keeping safe!!

I've got a very frustrating issue with the Idrive.. I've got a March 2014 428i with the original Pro Nav NBT head unit.
It still has the original early 2014 maps on it and it was one firmware version behind when i got it.

I've updated the firmware from BMW myself, it completed successfully but this made no difference whatsoever...

The issue is, upon starting the car, the idrive boots up and the radio will come on for about a minute and it will then reboot.
Often the next time it starts up, it'll seem to have lost all memorised stations, bluetooth paired devices etc and only recognise about 10% of the music on the internal HDD....
It then usually reboots for a third and final time, this time usually everything is back to how it was and works fine for the remainder of the drive!

Rarely it can reboot up to 6 times. When this happens, as/when it eventually seems to stablise, it's lost all it's paired device info and memorised stations, equalizer settings etc.

This now happens pretty much without fail every time I come back to the car having recently driven it and probably 1 in 3 times on the first start of the morning/after it's sat for over an hour.

I bought the car a year ago and it's done it intermittently from the day I got it, but it's now getting worse and more consistent...

I've seen these issues around Map updates or failed firmware updates but it seems like that may not be the cause in my case due to original maps etc..

Before I go ahead and look into Head unit replacement options, I just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this or if someone with more in-depth coding experience may have some insight?

It may be a hardware fault and a new NBT HU is unavoidable but nothing ventured..

Thanks so much for your time.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
SPYLI
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 428i cab

Hello there. Did you resolve the problem? My situation is quite similar; just that when I try to drive under comfort mode; with air-con switched on, things seemed getting back to normal after a min or two. Anyone knows what is going on with the idrive?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 09:03 PM   #3
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPYLI View Post
Hello there. Did you resolve the problem? My situation is quite similar; just that when I try to drive under comfort mode; with air-con switched on, things seemed getting back to normal after a min or two. Anyone knows what is going on with the idrive?
It's a sign that the hard drive in the head unit is showing signs of wear.

If you see this happen a lot, eventually the maps will not load and you will no longer be able to connect your phone to Bluetooth and that is when you will likely need a new head unit.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0