F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Brushed ER chargepipe photo's?
GetBMWParts

08-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #1
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Brushed ER chargepipe photo's?

Hey what's up guys, I was going to order the Evolution Racewerks charge pipe and boost pipe combo today and noticed the brushed ones were like 60 bucks cheaper than the polished and like 80 cheaper than the black, anyone out there running these brushed ones and have photos? photos of others welcome too, I like to save cheddar as much as the next guy. I'd like to see them installed.

Last edited by FastActionJax; 08-07-2018 at 03:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
scostu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastActionJax View Post
Hey what's up guys, I was going to order the Evolution Racewerks charge pipe and boost pipe combo today and noticed the brushed ones were like 60 bucks cheaper than the polished and like 80 cheaper than the black, anyone out there running these brushed ones and have photos? photos of others welcome too, I like to save cheddar as much as the next guy. I'd like to see them installed.
I upgraded my ER CP......bought the cheapest one. I never cared about looking under my hood for aesthetics. Upgraded as numerous forum members spoke about OEM CP's rupturing.
      08-07-2018, 09:17 PM   #3
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Where did you find one that was cheaper for brushed. Were I was looking had brushed and polished same price and anodized was about $40 more. I'd go with cheapest regardless of looks.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Msport 6MT

I have pics. I'll post them later

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Hawk HPS 5.0 | RBF600 | ER Charge Pipes | Wagner Evo Comp 2 FMIC
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #5
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
You could always get brushed and if you don't like the look paint it. A can of VHT high heat is less than $10. The brushed surface will take paint real well too. Then you can get any color you want. Actually I may just do that myself. I should mention, I have seen used ER for sale and the meth plugs are rusted so I don't think they are stainless. Might want to at least dab those with a clear coat.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:14 AM   #6
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
Where did you find one that was cheaper for brushed. Were I was looking had brushed and polished same price and anodized was about $40 more. I'd go with cheapest regardless of looks.
Extreme Powerhouse, I made a mistake though. appears brushed and polished are indeed the same price. black being 50 more.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
I have pics. I'll post them later
thanks bro!

Quote:
You could always get brushed and if you don't like the look paint it. A can of VHT high heat is less than $10. The brushed surface will take paint real well too. Then you can get any color you want. Actually I may just do that myself. I should mention, I have seen used ER for sale and the meth plugs are rusted so I don't think they are stainless. Might want to at least dab those with a clear coat.

Thats a pretty good idea too!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:26 PM   #8
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
thanks bro!

Thats a pretty good idea too!
Yeah. Radiant heat is all we would need to worry about on that part, so even VHT 500°F paint should be fine. If the CP gets over 500°F we have bigger problems to worry about. I honestly think I'm going to do this now.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Apex SM-10/DWS06+ | 400m/X-ice Xi3 | Injen Exhaust | Stoptech SS Lines | 335 Front Brakes
Appreciate 2
      08-08-2018, 12:47 PM   #10
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok. That looks good!
Appreciate 1
Solidjake945.00
      08-08-2018, 12:57 PM   #11
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Ok. That looks good!
yup!

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

that looks great! I'm just going to order the brushed! thanks for taking the photos brother, I appreciate it. do you also have the Turbo side pipe?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #13
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

Quote:
that looks great! I'm just going to order the brushed! thanks for taking the photos brother, I appreciate it. do you also have the Turbo side pipe?
You got it dude! For the TIC i ended up getting polished since it's really not visible and that's a high dirt area so the brush would get dirty real fast.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
You got it dude! For the TIC i ended up getting polished since it's really not visible and that's a high dirt area so the brush would get dirty real fast.
Awesome! I'm going to order them tonight when I get off work. you like them? noticeable? I'm trying to get on your level lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
Solidjake
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Poland
Rep

FastActionJax Haha, I just started but thanks man. I already had the Injen intake installed so I can't really say if the pipe added any extra sound but it might have. Other than that I don't feel anything different but I know it will never blow up on me while driving.

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #16
FastActionJax
Go Fast Dont Die!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
FastActionJax Haha, I just started but thanks man. I already had the Injen intake installed so I can't really say if the pipe added any extra sound but it might have. Other than that I don't feel anything different but I know it will never blow up on me while driving.
Yeah I purchased mine about a month ago, got it shipped down and couldnt get into the hood, the cable was stretched pretty badly, I get the dealership to send me a new cable and install it and get into the hood and see a Dinan logo by the battery box, open it up and see the Dinan stage 1 tuner chilling. So that was a nice little bonus for sure, spoke with Dinan tech and now I'm ordering all the upgrades to match the tune, then the plan is to do the intercooler and exhaust and go tune to stage 2
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 09:26 AM   #17
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Brushed looked awesome, but I went ahead and painted anyway. Even though it looks beautiful, brushed Al will oxidize over time and not look it's best. Figured I'd throw up some pics of the brushed CP painted. I masked the machined mating surfaces, hung from on a wire and sprayed with high heat paint. It took less than one can. It's not VHT 1300°F engine or header enamel, but the CP surface shouldn't get above ~200° anyway so I figured the regular high heat stuff I already had would suffice. The photos don't really show the color exactly accurate, it's only slightly more brilliant than the blue in BMW logo.

BTW this ER CP fits perfectly snug, actually a little more snug than the factory plastic CP. The only complaint is that the auto vacuum port underneath was incredibly tight and I could never get the fitting to 'snap' on. It feels and looks bottomed out on the CP nipple, but just didn't snap on. Driving two weeks now and it hasn't popped off so I'm assuming it's good. I'll know more in a couple days once I flash BM3 and increase boost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #18
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Brushed looked awesome, but I went ahead and painted anyway. Even though it looks beautiful, brushed Al will oxidize over time and not look it's best. Figured I'd throw up some pics of the brushed CP painted. I masked the machined mating surfaces, hung from on a wire and sprayed with high heat paint. It took less than one can. It's not VHT 1300°F engine or header enamel, but the CP surface shouldn't get above ~200° anyway so I figured the regular high heat stuff I already had would suffice. The photos don't really show the color exactly accurate, it's only slightly more brilliant than the blue in BMW logo.

BTW this ER CP fits perfectly snug, actually a little more snug than the factory plastic CP. The only complaint is that the auto vacuum port underneath was incredibly tight and I could never get the fitting to 'snap' on. It feels and looks bottomed out on the CP nipple, but just didn't snap on. Driving two weeks now and it hasn't popped off so I'm assuming it's good. I'll know more in a couple days once I flash BM3 and increase boost.
Looks cool and definitely different with the painted look.
      09-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #19
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
Looks cool and definitely different with the painted look.
Thanks. Figured wth, the aluminum will oxidize and I have paint left over from the tire dressing blocks I made...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1520219
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301999.50
      09-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #20
Xawesm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:

Why didn't you paint the ends? I'll be replacing my IC next week so I was thinking of taking the CP and painting as well but would likely do the whole pipe unless there's reason not to.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #21
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xawesm View Post
Why didn't you paint the ends? I'll be replacing my IC next week so I was thinking of taking the CP and painting as well but would likely do the whole pipe unless there's reason not to.
Kind of for looks, and kind of because it made masking easier. For looks, I feel where I masked was a perfect transition line and would be factory look. And if I didn't mask there I would have to figure out how to mask to prevent over-spray from entering the inside of the pipe, and even the slot for the spring clip. I did't want any metal to metal mating surfaces to have paint buildup on them. I still had to mask off the throttle body and FMIC holes to prevent over-spray and having 2" of masking at the end made it easy to overlap the tape. Lastly, I was able to tape a wire to the masked end to hang the pipes for easy spraying. I did spray all the way down the coupling side of each pipe because the silicone sleeve will clamp to that just fine.

So I guess to answer your question, no I did not do it this way for any real
"necessary" reason. I'd say go with the look you want to. At least mine gives you an idea of what bare ends look like. The only thing I would advise is to make sure no overs-pray enters the CP, so mask the inside of the ends. And if you have an auto tranny make sure you mask the vacuum nipple. What CP do you have? Did it start to oxidize and is that why you want to paint?

When you're done post pics.
Appreciate 0