F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Home Gym Equipment
proTUNING Freaks

08-25-2016, 11:47 AM   #23
ajfoggy
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: C63s - S205 - Brilliant Blue

get yourself a suspension trainer as well like a TRX.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Where are you going to put your home gym teaston?
In the garage, there's no space in the house as we're going to need a nursery in February!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #25
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Mc View Post
Out of the 10 exercises it states you can do 7 of them with dumbbells, which are far better and smaller than that thing, I'd just invest in a good set of dumbbells and use them for weight training, so much better and you can't compensate with stronger/weaker arms which you can on machines.

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/...ells-pair.html

Add a bench and you can pretty much do 85% of muscle groups in the space of a shoe box,
This spot on
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #26
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
Where are you going to put your home gym teaston?
In the garage, there's no space in the house as we're going to need a nursery in February!
Will you still be able to use it for working on the car?
I'm insistent that we keep our new garage clear enough to get the car in to work on... It's been one of my little dreams!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #27
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Will you still be able to use it for working on the car?
I'm insistent that we keep our new garage clear enough to get the car in to work on... It's been one of my little dreams!
We've only got a single garage so can't really get the car in anyway.

They do folding benches, or you could use ladder hooks on the wall to hang up any bench!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #28
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
So after all the great and appreciated advice on here I am now looking at these two:

The Bodymax Selectabells plus stand (saving £60 over buying them seperately!)
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...bell-stand.php

And an incline/decline bench that also will be great for ab exercises:
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...d-ab-board.php

Plus they do 0% finance so could pay just £40pm for 12 months!

Then later I could add a power rack, Barbell & squat stand.
Just to update, I have ordered these items now, on the 12 months interest free. It's a no brainer really, less than an average gym membership per month for 1 year, then free forever!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #29
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
Quote:
So after all the great and appreciated advice on here I am now looking at these two:

The Bodymax Selectabells plus stand (saving £60 over buying them seperately!)
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...bell-stand.php

And an incline/decline bench that also will be great for ab exercises:
http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...d-ab-board.php

Plus they do 0% finance so could pay just £40pm for 12 months!

Then later I could add a power rack, Barbell & squat stand.
Just to update, I have ordered these items now, on the 12 months interest free. It's a no brainer really, less than an average gym membership per month for 1 year, then free forever!
Looks a decent way to start. I've got a bench in storage that's similar to that and worked fine for what I needed. Agree that spinlock collar Dumbbells are a pain so this seems a clever idea. They had something similar in Costco for less than half the price that I was looking at though not quite as heavy, but I wondered how long they'd stay reliable and safe!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #30
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

And also ordered one of these that I'll fit to the roof joists:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And one of these to go on the wall:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So that's pretty much a complete gym which takes up a total floor area of well under 1m square!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 02:01 AM   #31
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

I give it 3 months max before it's gathering dust, sorry but as others have said you are wasting your time at home if you're not motivated enough to go to the gym.

As for your comments about not training legs, this is the biggest mistake you will make with trying to make any meaningful progress.

If you want to build muscle, you have to break the muscle and you need to lift heavy. Medium weight with lots of reps is fundamentally wasting your time, you would achieve more going on a clean/strict diet.

You would be far better off with a squat rack, olympic bar and 100+kgs of plates to start in a mix of sizes and looking at something like the strong lifts 5x5 routine.

This will build you all over muscle, you can track your progress and it doesn't take to long.

Trust me you aren't going to turn into the hulk over night, it takes years of training and correct eating (without juicing) to gain that sort of muscle mass/density.

Good luck
Appreciate 1
M40CCA1437.00
      08-26-2016, 02:49 AM   #32
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Peacock View Post
I give it 3 months max before it's gathering dust, sorry but as others have said you are wasting your time at home if you're not motivated enough to go to the gym.

As for your comments about not training legs, this is the biggest mistake you will make with trying to make any meaningful progress.

If you want to build muscle, you have to break the muscle and you need to lift heavy. Medium weight with lots of reps is fundamentally wasting your time, you would achieve more going on a clean/strict diet.

You would be far better off with a squat rack, olympic bar and 100+kgs of plates to start in a mix of sizes and looking at something like the strong lifts 5x5 routine.

This will build you all over muscle, you can track your progress and it doesn't take to long.

Trust me you aren't going to turn into the hulk over night, it takes years of training and correct eating (without juicing) to gain that sort of muscle mass/density.

Good luck
As I said above it's not to do with motivation, it's time restrictions, I'm self employed plus I have a dog to walk so there's just no time in the day. Plus as I say the thought of having to wait for others to finish using equipment is the other factor.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back so squats and dead lifts are probably not a good idea!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:44 AM   #33
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN
I can't offer much other than...

When it comes to fitness equipment, you get what you pay for.
Pretty much sums up most of life I think!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:22 AM   #34
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Unless the home gym comes with fit as feck younger ladies it's a complete waste of time.

I had a cable type home gym in the garage and found it really really poor in relation to a good set of free weights. Honestly go for a smaller set of free weights, IMO far more effective.
Complete rubbish

I have a Vectra 1450 and its awesome. Huge range of exercises and a 100Kg weight stack

I agree that free weights are better for certain exercises but when training on heavy weights on your own not the best idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:23 AM   #35
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969
Quote:
Unless the home gym comes with fit as feck younger ladies it's a complete waste of time.

I had a cable type home gym in the garage and found it really really poor in relation to a good set of free weights. Honestly go for a smaller set of free weights, IMO far more effective.
Complete rubbish

I have a Vectra 1450 and its awesome. Huge range of exercises and a 100Kg weight stack

I agree that free weights are better for certain exercises but when training on heavy weights on your own not the best idea.
Well that's your opinion and mine is still that free weights are far superior to a cable system unless your spending very big money.
      08-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #36
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Well that's your opinion and mine is still that free weights are far superior to a cable system unless your spending very big money.
I guess given that the Vectra was £2500 that I would prefer it and find it better than free weights as its commercial spec, but do agree that free weights would be better than a cheap multi gym.

I guess it depends on the weight stack and versatility of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 12:34 PM   #37
Chris Peacock
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 330e M-Sport

Quote:
As I said above it's not to do with motivation, it's time restrictions, I'm self employed plus I have a dog to walk so there's just no time in the day. Plus as I say the thought of having to wait for others to finish using equipment is the other factor.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back so squats and dead lifts are probably not a good idea!
I am also time poor, which is why I am in the gym at 6am 3 days a week, I have found from 20 years experience yo yo'ing between training at home vs the gym that I achieve a whole lot more from being in the correct motivational environment, home is not that place for me but appreciate everyone is different.

What are your goals from using the home gym?
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #38
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

I read this with interest. Came back from hols in mid June and scales said "you sir, need to sort this" !

Started eating sensibly and kicked my cheese habit. Lost a stone by end of July but plateaued.

So took the plunge two weeks ago and joined my local health club where they have every piece of equipment you can think of, free weights, TRX, fixed equipment inc machines that focus on every muscle you can think of, cardio based stuff (I found rowing to be better than cross/steps/bike/running etc), pool, sauna, steam room, lovely ladies all for £84/m with rolling monthly contract.

Before joining I thought about investing in a multi gym or dumbells & bench, but chose the dedicated focus you get from the gym environment.

Reading this thread.... I think I may do both now

Good luck with the new regime Teaspoon, as it says on the notice board of my club "getting your mind in shape is far more difficult than getting your body in shape". Or something like that.

(1st 6lbs now )
      08-26-2016, 05:30 PM   #39
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
all for £84/m with rolling monthly contract.

£84--- EIGHTY FOUR F***ing Pounds!

"you sir, need to sort this" !
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:39 PM   #40
PurpleTT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d F30 MSport

It's got a jacuzzi too!

But yeah by Gym standards it's pricey, but it is a health club and I have sufficient time to enjoy all the facilities to the full.
      08-26-2016, 06:48 PM   #41
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTT View Post
I read this with interest. Came back from hols in mid June and scales said "you sir, need to sort this" !

Started eating sensibly and kicked my cheese habit. Lost a stone by end of July but plateaued.

So took the plunge two weeks ago and joined my local health club where they have every piece of equipment you can think of, free weights, TRX, fixed equipment inc machines that focus on every muscle you can think of, cardio based stuff (I found rowing to be better than cross/steps/bike/running etc), pool, sauna, steam room, lovely ladies all for £84/m with rolling monthly contract.

Before joining I thought about investing in a multi gym or dumbells & bench, but chose the dedicated focus you get from the gym environment.

Reading this thread.... I think I may do both now

Good luck with the new regime Teaspoon, as it says on the notice board of my club "getting your mind in shape is far more difficult than getting your body in shape". Or something like that.

(1st 6lbs now )
Thanks mate, yes definitely mind is the biggest challenge, in many areas of life! I really hope I do stick to it, I really do think this approach will work much better for me than going to the gym. I've already been doing chin ups on my door bar every other day for past 2 weeks and can feel and see the difference already just from doing that, so that gives me hope!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:15 PM   #42
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Got the new kit, the dumbells are awesome!

All takes up very little space too!

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #43
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Quote:
Got the new kit, the dumbells are awesome!

All takes up very little space too!

Man , I was going through the same dilemma few times in my life. Someone said that already , its all about what you are trying to achieve. In my case , similar sets were collecting dust few months after purchase , I am very busy man myself but organized my day and working habits into such a routine that allows me to do evening training 4 times a week. I wake up early on weekends to throw in some cardio and stretching sessions as well - this set will keep you sharp but IMHO wont allow for development. What really motivates me are payments taken by Gym every month (no apr free I ma afraid) and girls in leggins stretching next to me.. Hey , I hope I am wrong and it works out for you pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #44
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscopete822 View Post
Man , I was going through the same dilemma few times in my life. Someone said that already , its all about what you are trying to achieve. In my case , similar sets were collecting dust few months after purchase , I am very busy man myself but organized my day and working habits into such a routine that allows me to do evening training 4 times a week. I wake up early on weekends to throw in some cardio and stretching sessions as well - this set will keep you sharp but IMHO wont allow for development. What really motivates me are payments taken by Gym every month (no apr free I ma afraid) and girls in leggins stretching next to me.. Hey , I hope I am wrong and it works out for you pretty well.
I am pretty sure you said on another thread that you were now single..... Married with new baby probably precludes evening training 4 times a week and early mornings at weekends will be doing stuff with a baby.

Hope it works for you teaspoon - I see your logic and if I laid out that cash I would use it.
Appreciate 0