F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Photo, Video, Media Gallery, Journals > Path to the MPPK through the MPBS on my 340i (Journal)
ARMA SPEED

12-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #23
Aberle
Private
Rep
Drives: 340i Limited Edition MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
Yeah, not many dealers have the know how to install such a kit unfortunately

It's supposed to be a simple 3 hour install but I guess it's better for them to take their time and do it right.

BTW, I'm sure your wait will be worth it
Completely agree. As was the case when having the M Performance Brakes installed they mentioned they had never done this before. I imagine it's the same situation with the Power Kit. I called today and they said they would take 3 days (starting today). I would rather they take their time and do everything correctly than rush them and have everything done backwards. I've been waiting for practically a year at this point, so a few more days won't make a difference.

In the meantime my contact at BMW was nice enough to send me a few pictures of what the process is looking like as of today.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #24
Aberle
Private
Rep

So... after two more delays I finally got the car back today.

My impressions so far:

The sound is absolutely amazing. Huge difference compared to the stock exhaust!

In terms of a gain in HP, I undoubtedly felt it. My trial was somewhat limited as with christmas around the corner traffic was absolutely insane. But having driven the car for the past 8 months or so, I have a fair degree of feel for the gas pedal so I definitely felt a difference in response. Also, the sports display is updated to reflect the gain in Kw.

In short, I am very happy with the purchase.

As far as everything else, not only did they end up taking 6 days (which was somewhat annoying considering all the comments I've found online point to it being a job that should take 3 hours) but they gave me back the car with various scratches in several areas. I politely complained, and they applied some quick wax, but it didn't quite get rid of them. Very irritating

Sometimes it seems like the more effort you put forth into keeping a car pristine, the more the surrounding environment conspires to spoil it.

Eh, what are you gonna do?

For my part I'll keep enjoying this car as much as I can.-
Appreciate 2
CJ4211524.50
      12-22-2017, 03:11 PM   #25
Aberle
Private
Rep

Drove around for 3 hours today. Got a chance to try it out a little more thoroughly in Sport and Sport+

Everything has worked as advertised.

Response is amazing and it's no placebo effect. It darts off from a stand still and I've had to make some slight adjustments to the way in which I drive. (Firmer grip, gentler on the gas, slightly different handling when cornering, etc...) The sounds when in Sport+ mode are phenomenal! The pleasure factor while driving certainly went up a few notches.

Theoretically, it's at 361 HP now. I don't know why there is a variation when I run the VIN decoder which lists stock power at 326 HP, while if you search for the specs of a 340i online it lists 320 HP. With the 35 HP which the kit adds it should be at 361 or 355 HP depending on which set of numbers is more accurate. Torque should be up 39 lb-ft to 369 lb-ft. (and boy do you feel that in the seat!)

From some threads I read online some people were curious as to whether or not the Sport Display adjusts to the new figures. It does! (Pic attached)

In terms of aesthetics, I went for the stainless steel exhaust tip finishers thinking it would suit the color scheme better than the carbon fiber variants... considering I don't have any carbon fiber anywhere else.

With all that said, mission accomplished! Bought this car in November of last year and shortly after started looking into the M brakes and power kit. It's been a long journey full of obstacles, but overcoming them has proved totally worth it.

I tend to write more succinctly, but thought I would elaborate in this journal in the hope that it might serve as a species of guide to other people in countries where coming across these kinds of kits and parts is not as easy or fairly priced.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has been motivating me throughout the process!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
CJ4211524.50
F80DXB11.50
      12-22-2017, 06:15 PM   #26
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
That's awesome, I'm really happy to see it worked out!

I like the stainless steel tips, I went for those on my car as well when I changed my exhaust. I think it works great on yours.

Charles
Aberle74.00
      12-22-2017, 06:47 PM   #27
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
Congrats! I like the SS exhaust tips as well - contrasts the exhaust very nicely from the diffuser. At least there is an option for CF if you ever get other CF parts down the road. IMO, if you're a car guy with a 340i, the MPPSK is definitely a must have in your build.

Slight correction on the Sport Display; North American models don't change from pre-MPPSK, it shows the same 400hp & 400ft-lb max - I can confirm that. You just hit higher values compared to pre-MPPSK. Looks like for the European market, it does change after adding the MPPSK based on your findings.
Aberle74.00
      01-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #28
Matteo88
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 6MT ZUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberle View Post
Took advantage of the national holiday yesterday. The streets were relatively empty. I figured that since the boys over at BMW didn't have time to perform any tests (as they kept promising to do) I'd go out and test it myself.

Originally I wanted to use the audio from the exhaust, but the wind noises made it unusable. I had to use music instead. Killed the whole idea I had before setting out.

As mentioned in the video, the footage is sped up for artistic purposes (ie, not many people would sit through an 8 minute clip) but top speed was 150 kph.

The engine response was amazing. Some erratic driving is seen due to massive potholes (craters are a more accurate description). I'm afraid our road network has seen better days.-

as i indicated in my comment, this video is not a letdown by any means
- 2003 RSX Type S 6MT
Appreciate 1
Aberle74.00
      02-27-2018, 04:10 PM   #29
Aberle
Private
Rep

As promised.-

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 01:34 AM   #30
Aberle
Private
Rep

Pulled the trigger on the M Performance LSD. Had a discussion open on this a few months ago: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&highlight=LSD

Some factors that went into the decision:

-Better performance and grip in wet conditions, asphalt is generally old. Rainy season lasts 6 to 8 months around here.
-Better handling in general.
-Access to tracks is very limited around here, but some local BMW clubs and the dealership are starting to organize events every now and then. Positive comments I've read mention greater predictability and stability in general. Very attractive from all these points of view.
-Completing my love for this particular car before moving to my other project.

Should be arriving in a couple of weeks. Very excited!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #31
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

OP, I've been reading your thread and upgrade journey for a while. The car looks great and your patience and commitment to the desired outcome is well ... rare. MPPSK is an excellent choice and I am glad you like the results. I need to convince myself to get MPPSK as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:47 AM   #32
Aberle
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
OP, I've been reading your thread and upgrade journey for a while. The car looks great and your patience and commitment to the desired outcome is well ... rare. MPPSK is an excellent choice and I am glad you like the results. I need to convince myself to get MPPSK as well.

Thank you for the kind words. The part arrived 3 days ago and I will be dropping off the car to have it installed today.

If you have the opportunity to get the MPPSK, do it, you won't regret it. It has certainly put a smile on my face every day since I got it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0