F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BimmerTech: CarPlay MMI Demo
Extreme Powerhouse

08-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
Bestia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, (sold) e70, e39 M5

Please post a pic of the product when you get a chance; definitely interested. Group buy anyone?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #24
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrys@BimmerTech View Post
Check three posts up
I SHOULD HAVE

thank you so much. ordering now!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 04:57 PM   #25
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

I like that you don't need to use a third party mic, but it sounds like I need to switch the audio input to aux every time I want to hear carplay? If I have my phone usually paired for bluetooth for phone calls, then I plug it in for carplay, what happens if I want to make or receive a call?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 04:34 AM   #26
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan View Post
I like that you don't need to use a third party mic, but it sounds like I need to switch the audio input to aux every time I want to hear carplay? If I have my phone usually paired for bluetooth for phone calls, then I plug it in for carplay, what happens if I want to make or receive a call?
I installed this thing last week ( the guys from https://unique-ad.co.uk/ supplied and installed it for me) - had a couple of long drives this weekend and these new boxes work well with the stock mic but I unpaired the car/iPhone bluetooth to avoid issues. Carplay makes my NBT maps/interface look like "windows95" - Carplay is easy to adapt, as an interface you really want it to be intuitive and I found myself used to the thing in no time.

Siri and "hey Siri" work and she can make calls, read messages and compose messages while driving. Siri cant normally open 3rd party apps but now via Carplay is able to open spotify, TuneIn etc. so you really have to just plug the phone and go.

Say you ask siri to open Spotify/Tunein, then you can use the iDrive controller to browse the playlists, fav stations, etc... while in maps view the iDrive controller can skip songs or when playing a podcast skip/FFW 10 seconds. The steering wheel volume controls works and the voice button can wake up Siri.

I am assuming Carplay/Maps itself would be using the iPhone GPS for navigation - for that reason I kept the phone connection under the radio but you could well run the cable to the underarm compartment - Apple Maps itself is not perfect but is clear enough and works. I wanted Carplay onboard now that Waze would be able to connect directly soon.

Only a week and is working really well - Any questions let me know and I will try to answer. Def recommended upgrade.

Last edited by x-m4n; 08-10-2018 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #27
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

What about adding Android Auto - is that coming?
      08-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #28
skierrob
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 White

Quote:
First of all, you must disable Bluetooth on your iPhone or at least disconnect from your car's Bluetooth system to use all CarPlay MMI's features.

If you do not do it, you will not be able to make/receive calls or talk to Siri.
It's kind of similar with the factory CarPlay integration when the car takes you to CarPlay to answer a call even if you are not in the CarPlay mode. Of course it's a different level of integration, so it's done seamlessly.

When you are not in the CarPlay mode you have to have AUX activated to receive calls. When you hear the phone ringing through your car speakers while not in the CarPlay mode you can answer either by pressing 8 on the radio panel to get quickly to CarPlay and then just use the telephone steering wheel button or you can stay in the iDrive mode but you will have to answer the call on your phone (you will still be using your car speakers and mic to talk).

If you want to use iDrive features like radio or CD and still be able to take advantage of hands-free calling, you should disconnect from CarPlay and connect your iPhone with the car over Bluetooth.
You will get CarPlay notifications only if you are in the CarPlay mode.

There are no audio drop-outs when using CarPlay.

All our MMIs get hot. Your radio head unit gets hot too. It does not mean they will fail. We have been testing our MMIs in very hot places like Dubai with no issues.
Thank you for the detailed reply....

Robert
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #29
SecretAsianMan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Ah i missed the previous reply saying that I have to disable bluetooth and plug in every single time. Seems like kind of a pain, I'll stick with my $20 phone mount.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:35 AM   #30
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
What about adding Android Auto - is that coming?
I think the Unique AD box I got installed has Android auto as and option but I haven't tried it as we use iPhones - the thing does support mirroring for sure. Drop them a line and get more details.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #31
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
I think the Unique AD box I got installed has Android auto as and option but I haven't tried it as we use iPhones - the thing does support mirroring for sure. Drop them a line and get more details.
I saw that on their video, do you have the ability to test that for me, maybe borrow an android phone or ask a colleague? as I'd like it on my car.
      08-07-2018, 05:47 AM   #32
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan View Post
Ah i missed the previous reply saying that I have to disable bluetooth and plug in every single time. Seems like kind of a pain, I'll stick with my $20 phone mount.
Is not perfect but I was still always connecting the phone anyway - to keep iPhone charged but also because the Spotify interface and audio quality was much better wired than via bluetooth (I coded EBT in my car).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 06:49 AM   #33
J_Tremain
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
1.Yes, we use the factory mic.
2.Yes, you have to be in the CarPlay mode to get notifications.
3.We will upload install videos soon, but meanwhile you can check our YouTube to see how to install our MMIs. It will take around 1-2 hours to install it.
4.All our MMIs look the same - a metal box with wiring harness.
5.Our warehouses are in Orlando, FL, Poland and Dubai. The first CarPlay MMI orders are going to be shipped from Dubai next week.
Any ETA on when your Orlando warehouse would have these in stock?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #34
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Any ETA on when your Orlando warehouse would have these in stock?
I just saw you live in Orlando. We can get a few units there in around 10 days.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #35
Cam428
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Based on photos of the interface, the Unique AD box appears to be the same one offered by CodeMyBimmer. I noticed the Android Auto option in their demo video and got really excited, but when I inquired, they replied "Currently this function is not yet available but it may support Android Auto later on." If Carplay remains the only option, I might have to switch to an iPhone this fall.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:23 AM   #36
acdt
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Sport

I bought a unichip box earlier this year and it would not work with my April 2016 built M3 (ID4 EVO), apparently it has a APIX2 display which was not compatible. The box works but nothing display on the screen

@Patrys have you tested your box with these latest displays, if so I am ordering one today ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:00 AM   #37
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdt View Post
I bought a unichip box earlier this year and it would not work with my April 2016 built M3 (ID4 EVO), apparently it has a APIX2 display which was not compatible. The box works but nothing display on the screen

@Patrys have you tested your box with these latest displays, if so I am ordering one today ;-)
Our MMI works fine with NBT Evo ID4, which is Apix1.
You can PM me your VIN and I’ll double check what HU you have.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 03:06 AM   #38
grahamrb
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 1-series m-sport 2016

Patrys@BimmerTech - are these shipping from within the EU? I'm wondering whether I'll have to pay VAT to the shipping company (I'm in the UK) which effectively adds another $100 to the price.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:08 AM   #39
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
(I'm in the UK)
I got my box from a UK company https://unique-ad.co.uk/

They installed it for me last week and I thought would be good to have local support if something breaks (looking at you iOS 12).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:45 AM   #40
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
I got my box from a UK company https://unique-ad.co.uk/

They installed it for me last week and I thought would be good to have local support if something breaks (looking at you iOS 12).
Yeah, I'm tempted by theirs because it's local, but...
- I'm concerned that the BimmerTech one will be better supported long-term as it's "what they do"
- it's not clear whether or not it's the same box - the unique-ad one has the iCar thing which the BimmerTech one doesn't have
- I expect BimmerTech to provide regular firmware updates, again less confident about unique-ad on this front
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 04:47 AM   #41
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

I'll be ordering one from unique-ad today to test it, I'll report back with my findings...
      08-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #42
Patrys@BimmerTech
Banned
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamrb View Post
Patrys@BimmerTech - are these shipping from within the EU? I'm wondering whether I'll have to pay VAT to the shipping company (I'm in the UK) which effectively adds another $100 to the price.

Thanks!
You will get it with a low value declared ($20)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #43
grahamrb
Private
Rep

Quote:
You will get it with a low value declared ($20)
I'm sold... order placed!
Appreciate 1
x-m4n148.00
      08-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #44
Bestia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F32 435i, (sold) e70, e39 M5

I'm really interested in going this route. Does someone have a DYI they can upload? A "long term " review would also be helpful. Gracias.
Appreciate 0