F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > PSM Style CF Spoiler - Fitment
Studio RSR

05-04-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

PSM Style CF Spoiler - Fitment

I see many use double sided tape, I’m unsure of the integrity of the tape provided with the spoiler I’ve purchased and it’s the worst place to cut corners, so getting 3M.

3M 5952 - is this the best version for adhesion of a spoiler to a boot lid?

3M VHB 5952 Adhesive Tape Simple Permanent Bonding with Double Coated Tape, Filmic Liner, 19 mm x 3 m, Black, 1 x Roll of Tape https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EDLPG..._rMDZCb9W1DYR8

Last edited by KTE; 02-24-2024 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 02:30 PM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BMW View Post
I would personally not trust just tape unless you want to remove at a later date.

I am sure there are many fellow forum members that would say they’ve done many miles with just tape, BUT bonding is always the best way, it will never come off.

A friend of mine has just lost his front splitter as it was taped on....
3M VHB is extremely strong if applied properly, that includes roughing up the surface of the spoiler with 3000 grit wet & dry (and even better if you do the boot lid too), cleaning both surfaces thoroughly with alcohol, then priming both surfaces with 3M primer 94, and make sure both surfaces and tape are at least 25°C before sticking, and finally applying firm pressure all along the spoiler for at least a minute.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #3
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
3M VHB is extremely strong if applied properly, that includes roughing up the surface of the spoiler with 3000 grit wet & dry (and even better if you do the boot lid too), cleaning both surfaces thoroughly with alcohol, then priming both surfaces with 3M primer 94, and make sure both surfaces and tape are at least 25°C before sticking, and finally applying firm pressure all along the spoiler for at least a minute.
Cheers for the heads up, it comes in 10ml will one be enough or should I go for a few (2 or 3)?

Is this the stuff?

I want flexibility on taking the spoiler off down the line, so the wet and dry on the boot lid isn’t going to happen, but I feel quite confident with the rest of the measures taken..

I’m still very certain that M4 CS at the showroom had tape under the spoiler.. no other reason for the edges to not be seated properly (apart from poor fastening).
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTE View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Cheers for the heads up, it comes in 10ml will one be enough or should I go for a few (2 or 3)?

Is this the stuff?

I want flexibility on taking the spoiler off down the line, so the wet and dry on the boot lid isn’t going to happen, but I feel quite confident with the rest of the measures taken..

I’m still very certain that M4 CS at the showroom had tape under the spoiler.. no other reason for the edges to not be seated properly (apart from poor fastening).
That's the stuff 10ml will be plenty
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I just used clear Sikaflex from Screwfix. Taped it down overnight and is stuck solid now.

I'd recommend this as its far better at bonding things which are more than 2mm apart.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

Quote:
I would personally not trust just tape unless you want to remove at a later date.

I am sure there are many fellow forum members that would say they’ve done many miles with just tape, BUT bonding is always the best way, it will never come off.

A friend of mine has just lost his front splitter as it was taped on....
3m tape is fine if applied correctly, I have never lost a spoiler. What is the alternative? Its not like you can bolt it on!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
I just used clear Sikaflex from Screwfix. Taped it down overnight and is stuck solid now.

I'd recommend this as its far better at bonding things which are more than 2mm apart.
Blimey, will you ever be able to get it off though?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

British weather in action.. can't get a dry day to fit the spoiler!

Plan of action is:
  • Sand contact (back) area on spoiler with 3000 grit paper.
  • Use 3M 94 Primer - Wait 1 hour.
  • Apply 2 lengths of tape on spoiler. Wait 1 day @ room temperature.
  • Clean boot lid with 99.9 Propyl alcohol, spray onto boot lid then wipe down.
  • Heat both spoiler and boot lid so it's more than warm to the touch
  • Once aligned with masking tape on edges, peel back the tape on one end pressing down. Then lifting the tape from the other edge and pushing the spoiler down..

Will post pics once it's done.

Last side point, am I being picky/expecting too much?

I was hoping for a smooth clear carbon fibre underside, not tainted with whatever this stuff is that I can’t get off (tried label remover and warm soapy water), as well as the chip on the edge which may or may not be visible when taped on.. pics below:

photo upload sites

Last edited by KTE; 05-09-2019 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
British weather in action.. can't get a dry day to fit the spoiler!

Plan of action is:
  • Sand contact (back) area on spoiler with 3000 grit paper.
  • Use 3M 94 Primer - Wait 1 hour.
  • Apply 2 lengths of tape on spoiler. Wait 1 day @ room temperature.
  • Clean boot lid with 99.9 Propyl alcohol, spray onto boot lid then wipe down.
  • Heat both spoiler and boot lid so it's more than warm to the touch
  • Once aligned with masking tape on edges, peel back the tape on one end pressing down. Then lifting the tape from the other edge and pushing the spoiler down..

Will post pics once it's done.

Last side point, am I being picky/expecting too much?

I was hoping for a smooth clear carbon fibre underside, not tainted with whatever this stuff is that I can't get off (tried label remover and warm soapy water), as well as the chip on the edge which may or may not be visible when taped on.. pics below:

[img]https://i.ibb.co/88kCtgN/8-B89-C2-E8...4-AD9-D472.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/x13R4Lq/34-BF8964-A...69728-DDF6.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/1mV1Xzk/F87470-A2-B...941-BD3407.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/SN65Mw1/D7356-B23-C...1-CBC39-FC.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/0D1fSW2/67-A0-CE6-F...40-F772-B5.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.ibb.co/41xnsmy/BFF66-D8-E-...7218-D6029.jpg[/img]
photo upload sites
No, you're not being picky. That spoiler's crap.
The lacquer is cracking & moisture has got in. It will only get worse. The lacquer is actually missing from the leading edge, which is the root cause, hence it's started coming away.
Send it back for a replacement.
If that's not an option, the only remedy is rubbing down to remove the imperfections & complete relacquer unfortunately.
      05-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #10
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Was unsure as other spoiler options didn't even have a finish (this is the reverse side that sits on the boot lid).

Purchased from China unfortunately (first and last time it seems..)

I was going to sand with wet and dry 3000 anyway, prime then use the 3m tape. May work out but I'll see how it is after sanding. I do have some Halfords bodyshop lacquer so can lightly spray that after, not sure how it'll affect the tape I want to use sticking to it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Was unsure as other spoiler options didn't even have a finish (this is the reverse side that sits on the boot lid).

Purchased from China unfortunately (first and last time it seems..)

I was going to sand with wet and dry 3000 anyway, prime then use the 3m tape. May work out but I'll see how it is after sanding. I do have some Halfords bodyshop lacquer so can lightly spray that after, not sure how it'll affect the tape I want to use sticking to it.
EBay? Or AliExpress?
Open a dispute & send the pictures.
Insist on return (at their expense as it's faulty) & replacement.
They will want to offer you a partial refund instead.
I'd hold out & want 75% refund. If they don't play ball, open a dispute. You have 30 days I believe to do this.
Just cos it came from China doesn't mean you have to suck it up.
I've had to do this a few times. Yes, they'll try it on, even give you a sob story as to why you should be understanding. It's all bollox. They'll cave in the end. Just open a case against them. They don't like that. Anything like this or negative feedback badly affects their trading conditions. You will be successful.
      05-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #12
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’ve only ever bought from reputable companies in the UK or from a dealer. That way if you get a shit product you can send it back. Plus you also supporting our economy not China’s. (And don’t blast me for saying they’re all made in China, they’re not.)

I’d still send it back, it’s crap and will only deteriorate with time.
It was a toss up between this style and OEM carbon lip, this is less common and I liked the aesthetics of it. I clearly didn’t look hard enough in the excitement of getting it in (filtered EU on initial search and simply pressed a recent search, purchasing the top product). Having a proper look it seems to all be the same, pictured images from UK sellers have the same label on my delivered product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
EBay? Or AliExpress?
I'd hold out & want 75% refund. If they don't play ball, open a dispute. You have 30 days I believe to do this.
I've had to do this a few times. Yes, they'll try it on, even give you a sob story as to why you should be understanding. It's all bollox. They'll cave in the end. Just open a case against them. They don't like that. Anything like this or negative feedback badly affects their trading conditions. You will be successful.
eBay, I was hoping they’d respond to a written message last Sunday. No word as of yet so sent a cancellation request with my earlier message quoted and re-attaching all of the images..
In two minds whether to even risk a replacement as that’ll also have charges on arrival (VAT and handling charges).

Opened a dispute, images attached. Just weighing my options.. what is the worse case scenario if I fitted the current spoiler? Water and dirt get under the lacquer and peel more? If this is on the taped underside could it still reach the top side?

Last edited by KTE; 05-09-2019 at 05:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
335dX430.00
      05-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #13
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
3m tape is fine if applied correctly, I have never lost a spoiler. What is the alternative? Its not like you can bolt it on!
This. I've never had issues with using 3M tape for spoilers, I've used them for three cars and have done track days and a couple of round trips from the Nürburgring.

Don't like the idea of putting holes in a bumper for something which is ultimately aesthetic.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #14
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've only ever bought from reputable companies in the UK or from a dealer. That way if you get a shit product you can send it back. Plus you also supporting our economy not China's. (And don't blast me for saying they're all made in China, they're not.)

I'd still send it back, it's crap and will only deteriorate with time.
It was a toss up between this style and OEM carbon lip, this is less common and I liked the aesthetics of it. I clearly didn't look hard enough in the excitement of getting it in (filtered EU on initial search and simply pressed a recent search, purchasing the top product). Having a proper look it seems to all be the same, pictured images from UK sellers have the same label on my delivered product!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5pilot View Post
EBay? Or AliExpress?
eBay, I was hoping they'd respond to a written message last Sunday. No word as of yet so sent a cancellation request with my earlier message quoted and re-attaching all of the images..
In two minds whether to even risk a replacement as that'll also have charges on arrival (VAT and handling charges).

Opened a dispute, images attached. Just weighing my options.. what is the worse case scenario if I fitted the current spoiler? Water and dirt get under the lacquer and peel more? If this is on the taped underside could it still reach the top side?
Even if it's just on the bottom, if it's not sealed, moisture will get in & it will spread.
If you end up fitting it, make sure it's sealed before you do. I'd apply lacquer with a brush on the bottom side, right up to the edge, making sure all the 'chipped' bits are well covered. Using a brush is the best way & avoids having to mask or any risk of overspray. As it's the surface being bonded, it doesn't matter if it's not a smooth mirror finish.
Spray lacquer into the lid so you can dip a brush in it & add a little thinner if needed.
      05-11-2019, 07:37 AM   #15
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ugh, decisions decisions..

Offered to cover the labour on fixing it so that got refused... that was a lol from me for even trying.

Now asking if they can send a replacement. I’ve searched quite a bit online and it’s either eBay or AliExpress for this damn spoiler.. is anyone aware of another term for it?

First UK seller with 100% reviews but it looks to be just the same thing imported in already! The label/stickers are in the same position. Cost is similar after VAT and handling charges are involved. Lack of foresight on my behalf with rushing to buy it!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362446571138

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113142234485

Am I able to reclaim VAT (probably not handling charges) on duff products or does it have to go back? Doesn’t actually seem to mention returning the item..

Did try it on about closing the case, which I’m aware of the consequences from reading about others who’ve been ripped off. Think I’ll play it safe and re-order locally. Keep my losses as they are rather than risking it further.

Last of all, does this look to be carbon fibre coated or actual CF. Never really bought CF car parts before.

Last edited by KTE; 05-11-2019 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:17 AM   #16
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Looks like the top layer is CF, the rest will be fiber glass and resin
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #17
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ugh, decisions decisions..

Offered to cover the labour on fixing it so that got refused... that was a lol from me for even trying.

Now asking if they can send a replacement. I’ve searched quite a bit online and it’s either eBay or AliExpress for this damn spoiler.. is anyone aware of another term for it?

First UK seller with 100% reviews but it looks to be just the same thing imported in already! The label/stickers are in the same position. Cost is similar after VAT and handling charges are involved. Lack of foresight on my behalf with rushing to buy it!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F362446571138

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F113142234485

Am I able to reclaim VAT (probably not handling charges) on duff products or does it have to go back? Doesn’t actually seem to mention returning the item..

Did try it on about closing the case, which I’m aware of the consequences from reading about others who’ve been ripped off. Think I’ll play it safe and re-order locally. Keep my losses as they are rather than risking it further.

Last of all, does this look to be carbon fibre coated or actual CF. Never really bought CF car parts before.
Crikey that is a very aggressive, may I say chavvy, looking spoiler design! For very little more you can get the genuine BMW 100% carbon fibre spoiler, new from a main dealer:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283449370117

Or even cheaper new from a non dealer:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F133029982404

Decent aftermarket carbon will always be plastic with one layer of real carbon fibre over the top in my experience. Bad aftermarket carbon will be plastic with water transfer carbon ‘effect’ over the top.

If you do want an aggressive one then emotors M4 style one is plenty aggressive, and they supply great quality spoilers, my 335d CF one lasted 3 years and 75k and still looked perfect!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323495587560

Last edited by teaston; 05-12-2019 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #18
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Went for the above mentioned spoiler earlier today, other seller has been ignoring me since I refused to find him a courier. Cheekily tried to cheat me into closing the case. Some people are just pricks.

eBay giving him a whole 5 extra days of which there remain 3. Definitely leaving him a lasting review.

Will update again once the M4 style spoiler is in and hopefully fitted not long after.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Went for the above mentioned spoiler earlier today, other seller has been ignoring me since I refused to find him a courier. Cheekily tried to cheat me into closing the case. Some people are just pricks.

eBay giving him a whole 5 extra days of which there remain 3. Definitely leaving him a lasting review.

Will update again once the M4 style spoiler is in and hopefully fitted not long after.
Great choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #20
DThr33
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Mine was on with 3m VHB (liberally used) and held up at 140+ a few times, been on the car about a year probably, no signs of lifting
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #21
speary8
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i M Sport Convertible

From the pictures it looks to be transfer dipped. Can you actually see the weave in the cf?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:48 AM   #22
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speary8 View Post
From the pictures it looks to be transfer dipped. Can you actually see the weave in the cf?
Defo dipped, looky like a tacky POS!
Appreciate 0