F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Another F30 N20 Blown Motor Thread :(
ARMA SPEED

05-03-2020, 10:10 AM   #529
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2, 2024 m235i

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how we could find out if the N20/N26 motor fails more with or without the 2TB sport transmission? My car came with 205 even though it's a sportline with 704 suspension. I coded 2TB and it doesn't wind out the gears as long. Less red lining. I'd be interested to know if motors with one, or the other transmission are more frequently affected. Anyone?
      05-15-2020, 02:49 PM   #530
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 E46, '13 F10 (TC failed)

As of 5/15/2020 there have been no new PACER entries.
Appreciate 2
      05-15-2020, 03:22 PM   #531
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRii328i View Post
Just bought my first BMW, a 2013 328i sport line (really great shape and all scheduled maintenance), and I'm a little worried. Was assured that the car is in very good shape at the pre sale inspection. I didn't get it from the dealer, but they congratulated me on such a good find. That being said, they told me the timing chain issue is rare. AND THAT being said, I got an extended warranty till 126k miles anyway. I was freaking out in another thread here when I first got it, but my car seems to be fine as of now. It's at 51800 miles currently.

OP I hope something is worked out for you. Didnt see the resolution, if any, in the thread. July isn't that far away now, and I hope everyone gets the repairs they need, covered by BMW. A recall seems unlikely since so many n20/n26 cars are fine, but they SHOULD repair the engines of anyone who's still under financial obligation for their car at least I hope. I mean, I bought a 7 year old f30 because it was in great shape, low miles, and it's pretty AF, but only after THEIR technicians told me it's solid. It still wasn't that cheap either. Paid high market value for it but original sticker was $47k. I'll be paying on it for a few. That's fine to me as nothing is wrong with my car, but I'll still feel more relief after the july settlement. Feeling for all the people in this thread paying on a pretty ass fun to drive car they can't drive.
Personally: I'd take a loss and trade it in on something else, but that's just me. You DO have the extended warranty (and hopefully it's a good one) but the engine *is* a ticking time-bomb -- how can you ever trust it? You're rolling the dice every time you drive it. In terms of car ownership: There's nothing worse than a car you can't rely on, IMO. I want to be able to go places (especially long trips) without wondering if my engine is going to grenade itself and leave me stranded. I've had to have two new cars towed before and they both broke down on 90+ degree days - seems like it's always Murphy's Law when I need a tow.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #532
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Quote:
Just bought my first BMW, a 2013 328i sport line (really great shape and all scheduled maintenance), and I'm a little worried. Was assured that the car is in very good shape at the pre sale inspection. I didn't get it from the dealer, but they congratulated me on such a good find. That being said, they told me the timing chain issue is rare. AND THAT being said, I got an extended warranty till 126k miles anyway. I was freaking out in another thread here when I first got it, but my car seems to be fine as of now. It's at 51800 miles currently.

OP I hope something is worked out for you. Didnt see the resolution, if any, in the thread. July isn't that far away now, and I hope everyone gets the repairs they need, covered by BMW. A recall seems unlikely since so many n20/n26 cars are fine, but they SHOULD repair the engines of anyone who's still under financial obligation for their car at least I hope. I mean, I bought a 7 year old f30 because it was in great shape, low miles, and it's pretty AF, but only after THEIR technicians told me it's solid. It still wasn't that cheap either. Paid high market value for it but original sticker was $47k. I'll be paying on it for a few. That's fine to me as nothing is wrong with my car, but I'll still feel more relief after the july settlement. Feeling for all the people in this thread paying on a pretty ass fun to drive car they can't drive.
Personally: I'd take a loss and trade it in on something else, but that's just me. You DO have the extended warranty (and hopefully it's a good one) but the engine *is* a ticking time-bomb -- how can you ever trust it? You're rolling the dice every time you drive it. In terms of car ownership: There's nothing worse than a car you can't rely on, IMO. I want to be able to go places (especially long trips) without wondering if my engine is going to grenade itself and leave me stranded. I've had to have two new cars towed before and they both broke down on 90+ degree days - seems like it's always Murphy's Law when I need a tow.
Chances are I'll trade it in long before I pay it off, but I certainly won't be rolling over this kind of negative equity so soon. I've only had it 2 months. Not adding THAT much to a new car note. I'll get it paid down to an even worth, or close to, then trade it in. 2 years tops. I make extra payments, and the note isnt that high monthly. My warranty DOES cover the timing chain and I am being meticulous is its care. If it blows, they cover the cars worth. If I had I gotten a 335, I would've skipped that extra warranty though. Paying for that piece of mind.

Side note, I'll end up trading my jetta in before that, and getting a second bimmer. It won't be a pre 2015 n26. Guaranteed.
      05-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #533
GreyF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbender View Post
As of 5/15/2020 there have been no new PACER entries.
Truly appreciate your update, sjbender.

I cannot wait to hear the result as mine is nearing the 7y/70k TC warranty end.
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #534
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyF30 View Post
Truly appreciate your update, sjbender.

I cannot wait to hear the result as mine is nearing the 7y/70k TC warranty end.
As long as the hearing happens and this COVID doesnt mess it up, I plan to attend the trial. Ill be doing play by play, lol!
Appreciate 4
obert1781.00
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #535
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Chances are I'll trade it in long before I pay it off, but I certainly won't be rolling over this kind of negative equity so soon.
Not trying to be an @$$, but how much negative equity can you have on a 7 year old used car?

I can't remember the last time I had any negative equity in a car.
      05-18-2020, 06:23 PM   #536
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As long as the hearing happens and this COVID doesnt mess it up, I plan to attend the trial. Ill be doing play by play, lol!
Definitely hope the date holds, as my 7/70 expires the end of July.
      05-18-2020, 07:07 PM   #537
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Quote:
Chances are I'll trade it in long before I pay it off, but I certainly won't be rolling over this kind of negative equity so soon.
Not trying to be an @$$, but how much negative equity can you have on a 7 year old used car?

I can't remember the last time I had any negative equity in a car.
Ok well I'll try not to take as if you are then. I financed it only 2 months ago. Literally on March 14. I simply meant I'm not really willing to roll the finance charge over into a new car so soon. I didn't pay for it cash. And I guess, good for you? I've never bought a car from a dealer without negative equity.

I do wish I would've just sprung for the extra $3k-4k a 335i would've cost. I actually CHOSE this 13 over way newer cars because it had cool packages, nice wheels, is in great shape and has way less miles than it should. Less than most of the others too. I did so much research, but never came across the timing chain issue. I definitely would've bought this other 16 I liked if I had known, or as I said, just paid more for a 6 cylinder. Ces la vie.
Pauloxxi339.00
      05-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #538
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

[QUOTE=Poochie;26051061]It's that true for all machines..

All usable mechanical products have a finite shelf-life before it eventually wears out and is no longer useable; which is why God invented 3 year/ 36 months leases..[/QUOTEc

I think God invented 3 year/36 month leases so you could be constantly pay the highest possible depreciation expense. Seriously, I get why people have short term leases so a mechanical issue is never "on them". But, there is a high price to pay for that assurance.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #539
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok well I'll try not to take as if you are then. I financed it only 2 months ago. Literally on March 14. I simply meant I'm not really willing to roll the finance charge over into a new car so soon. I didn't pay for it cash.
Yea, I don't necessarily pay cash either. But after it took probably 10 years to get out from being upside down on cars starting with the first car my wife got out of college, we always make sure we have enough in cash down and/or trade-in to not be in the negative.

But I would guess that you are probably not an old fart like me either
      05-18-2020, 08:50 PM   #540
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

[QUOTE=sygazelle;26195093]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's that true for all machines..

All usable mechanical products have a finite shelf-life before it eventually wears out and is no longer useable; which is why God invented 3 year/ 36 months leases..[/QUOTEc

I think God invented 3 year/36 month leases so you could be constantly pay the highest possible depreciation expense. Seriously, I get why people have short term leases so a mechanical issue is never "on them". But, there is a high price to pay for that assurance.
I leased this beauty below, it was involved in an accident and repaired half-ass (not my fault).

I returned it back and walked away from, scot-free..

Long story afterwards but BMW FS absorbed a $8,000 loss, when they auctioned it.

See there, I just put a price tag on peace of mind..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 08:21 AM   #541
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had a Mazda RX8 that had the engine replaced due to the faulty early rotary engine. I was able to sell that, private sale, for more than it was KBB. Understandably it was a unique car. You'll always be negative equity if selling or trading to a dealer, even if its paid off!
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #542
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

For those of you that still own a vehicle with an N20 in the suspect date range, what would the resolution need to be for you to keep your car?

For myself, my car is approaching the current 7 year extension but well under the 70K mile limit. So while more would be better I'm thinking that an extension to 10yrs/100K miles would likely do it for me. I'm currently pushing 5 years of ownership, so while it would not get me to the 10 years I'd like to get out of the car, it would get me to 8 years which would be close enough.

Anything less than this and I am probably done with BMW.
      05-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #543
aL_bmwf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw 328i Xdrive Luxury

Quote:
For those of you that still own a vehicle with an N20 in the suspect date range, what would the resolution need to be for you to keep your car?

For myself, my car is approaching the current 7 year extension but well under the 70K mile limit. So while more would be better I'm thinking that an extension to 10yrs/100K miles would likely do it for me. I'm currently pushing 5 years of ownership, so while it would not get me to the 10 years I'd like to get out of the car, it would get me to 8 years which would be close enough.

I'm in the same boat as you! It's going to be 7 years in June for me. But my car has only 58,000 miles and is in showroom condition. I checked the chain with my finger through the oil cap and chain and guide seem to be tight. I really hope they extend this warranty to 10yrs/100k that's the right thing to do because timing chains should last at least minimum 100k miles and we pay premium prices for these luxury cars.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2020, 05:14 PM   #544
Silverlining_m2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aL_bmwf30 View Post
Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you! It's going to be 7 years in June for me. But my car has only 58,000 miles and is in showroom condition. I checked the chain with my finger through the oil cap and chain and guide seem to be tight. I really hope they extend this warranty to 10yrs/100k that's the right thing to do because timing chains should last at least minimum 100k miles and we pay premium prices for these luxury cars.
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I would be happy with that as an extension. I'm under the 70k miles, but my car turned 7 on 3/1. 100k seems like a rational outcome to me
      05-29-2020, 10:23 PM   #545
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
I really hope they extend this warranty to 10yrs/100k that's the right thing to do because timing chains should last at least minimum 100k miles and we pay premium prices for these luxury cars.
I don't know - I thought manufacturers switched from belts to chains because chains last the lifetime of the vehicle (assuming lifetime is 200k or something). So the extended warranty should be close to that number, if not exactly 200k. I would expect 10 yrs/150k miles. I am already at 8 yrs 107k miles. So far so good, but under normal circumstances I wouldn't expect my chain to last only up to 100k miles.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #546
Slick_FThirty
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' BMW 328i Xdrive

Quote:

I just wish the issue would be resolved altogether with a replacement. It definitely will not happen however.
I want a car that won't implode during a road trip, and one that I don't need to constantly be vigilant of various noises and symptoms, else the engine will blow. I don't want to always have to think of when it's going to go wrong. I'm tired of planning around "what if my timing chain goes".
I want it to be a reliable daily driver that doesn't explode so that I don't miss my daily ventures and am not stranded in -30 and deal with towing, fixing, and possibly putting in a new engine which can take some time and serious $$$.

I'm past the 7 years, but am only at 75000km.
      06-01-2020, 08:29 PM   #547
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Full docket text for document 67:
TEXT ORDER: The 6/30/20 conference is canceled.. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 6/1/20. (tjg, )

For reference, this was where the 6/30/20 conference originated from:

Full docket text for document 63:
TEXT ORDER: The Court has reviewed the submission regarding remaining discovery, The parties will meet and confer and establish a schedule for conducting discovery with the following dates in mind:A final pretrial conference will be held on June 30, 2020 at 10 am before the undersigned, at which time ALL discovery shall have been completed. Parties shall immediately attempt to resolve all discovery disputes and be prepared to present any open issues to the Court by the end of March 2020. There will be no adjournments. The parties shall submit to the Court their joint final pretrial order via email to CLW_Orders@njd.uscourts.gov no later than five (5) business days before the conference. The Court expects to engage in meaningful settlement discussions at the Final Pretrial Conference. Therefore, trial counsel, clients, and/or other persons with full settlement authority must attend the conference. This does not relieve the parties of their obligation to submit their joint final pretrial order no later than five (5) business before the conference. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 2/27/20. (tjg, )
Appreciate 5
      06-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #548
GreyF30
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i M Sport

Quote:
Full docket text for document 67:
TEXT ORDER: The 6/30/20 conference is canceled.. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 6/1/20. (tjg, )

For reference, this was where the 6/30/20 conference originated from:

Full docket text for document 63:
TEXT ORDER: The Court has reviewed the submission regarding remaining discovery, The parties will meet and confer and establish a schedule for conducting discovery with the following dates in mind:A final pretrial conference will be held on June 30, 2020 at 10 am before the undersigned, at which time ALL discovery shall have been completed. Parties shall immediately attempt to resolve all discovery disputes and be prepared to present any open issues to the Court by the end of March 2020. There will be no adjournments. The parties shall submit to the Court their joint final pretrial order via email to CLW_Orders@njd.uscourts.gov no later than five (5) business days before the conference. The Court expects to engage in meaningful settlement discussions at the Final Pretrial Conference. Therefore, trial counsel, clients, and/or other persons with full settlement authority must attend the conference. This does not relieve the parties of their obligation to submit their joint final pretrial order no later than five (5) business before the conference. So Ordered by Magistrate Judge Cathy L. Waldor on 2/27/20. (tjg, )
Man, I've been looking forward to this and find out what the settlement is.

Well.. I guess this deferral is understandable due to the current WILD ongoing situation in the U.S.

Thank you, sjbender, as always.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #549
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyF30 View Post
Man, I've been looking forward to this and find out what the settlement is.

Well.. I guess this deferral is understandable due to the current WILD ongoing situation in the U.S.

Thank you, sjbender, as always.
Is it really a deferral? I would think it would say rescheduled instead of cancelled if that was the case.

I guess we will have to wait and see what this means
      06-02-2020, 08:54 AM   #550
sjbender
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I like to think that they reached a settlement early and will release the details sooner than July. HA!
Appreciate 0