F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2015 F32 428i High Pitch Noise/Whine with Throttle
Extreme Powerhouse

12-09-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
wespiard
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 428i

Question 2015 F32 428i High Pitch Noise/Whine with Throttle

I purchased my F32 back in August. For some background, the car has 60k miles, and the following parts from Dinan: Stage 3 Tune, Intercooler, free flow exhaust. These parts were installed before I bought the car, so I cannot attest to the quality of the installation. I also am not sure how long the car has had the Dinan parts. I may be able to call Dinan to ask, though.

It often makes this high pitched whining, whistle-like noise when I give it a more-than-moderate amount of throttle. It doesn't happen 100% of the time. I haven't really noticed if it goes away or not as the engine heats up, but it seems like it still does it sometimes after the engine is warm.

Here is a short clip I got of it making the noise briefly while accelerating:
View post on imgur.com

As you can hear, it makes the noise briefly as the revs start to climb, and then it falls off as I come off of the throttle, even though the revs stay up. I just went out and gave it some gas while parked and it does not make the noise. It has something to do with being under load.

I have search a good amount (maybe not enough, though so please let me know if there's a post about this already) and the main problems that cause a high pitched noise are the timing chain/guide being worn, damaged turbo, loose air intake/charge pipe connection, etc. I'm 90% sure it's not the timing chain since the videos of that I have listened to sound a lot worse and different.

I just would like to have a strategy as far as eliminating these possibilities. I have a small lift and tools so I'm willing to do some digging. If any more videos or info would be useful, let me know!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #2
f30nick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i 6MT/ E36 M3 5MT

Garage List
Timing chain maybe?

Alpine White 12' F30 328i 6MT (SOLD)
Injen CAI | Bootmod3 Stage 1 | VRSF 5' Intercooler| Mishimoto Catch Can | 335i M Performance Exhaust | H&R Super Sports | HRE FF01 w/Hankook Ventus Evo2 | M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
wespiard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30nick View Post
Timing chain maybe?
You think so? The videos I have listened to seem a lot worse. Or is this what it sounds like when it is just starting? I have done the basics like try to move the chain around via the oil fill hole and it has no play.

Are there records of issues happening at 60k miles? (Not fully blowing, but symptoms starting?)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
JoeyF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i xDrive N26

This car is a stage 3 tune and you didn't decide to update timing chain and guides???
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
zeikei
Second Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: F36

Boost leak maybe? Does not sound like timing chain to me and it would be always there not just under load. Turbo itself would be higher pitch.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
wespiard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF30 View Post
This car is a stage 3 tune and you didn't decide to update timing chain and guides???
Well, I haven't decided not to update them. I'm just now getting the time to work on it now that I have a break for the holidays. To be honest, I didn't know the car had the tune until after I bought it.. I'm changing the trans fluid and some other misc things. Depending on how all of that goes, I'll look into the tough DIY for the timing chain updates, or get a quote from my indy to do it, just trying to decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeikei View Post
Boost leak maybe? Does not sound like timing chain to me and it would be always there not just under load. Turbo itself would be higher pitch.
Thanks! I agree about the timing chain noise. I'll do some research about checking for boost leaks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
wespiard
United_States
Rep

Updating this post, in case anyone searches and finds it.

It was just a boost leak. Whoever installed the Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe goofed pretty bad. the lower side of the coupler (sleeve that connects the two sections of the pipe) was partially on top of one of the sensor port bolt mounds, causing a pretty obvious air gap.

Explains why the sound was more noticeable on the driver side too. Not sure if it's placebo or not, but it feels a little faster now too.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Thanks for this reply,

I have a similar sound and need to get into it when its warmer!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:54 AM   #9
MilanF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Of course it fill faster, you had a boost leak!
And that's because you're driving stage 3 car in eco mode
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
dfwF30bmw
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i 6MT Track Handling

Cheap USB bore scope from Amazon hooked up to your laptop and I can get all the way down to oil pump chain, even both sides, all from oil cap.
MODS: BM3 Stage 2/93 Octane OTS, Active Autowerke BMW F Chassis Intercooler, VSRF Catless Down Pipe, GFB DV+, Injen Evolution Intake, Red Line MTL for Transmission, NGK SILZKBR8D8S gapped at .24", Dinan Shockware, Cooper ZEON RS3-G1's and Hawk HPS 5.0 Brake Pads all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #11
wespiard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanF30 View Post
Haha. I was in Eco Mode to see if I could get more boost to make the noise more noticeable. Not sure if that's a valid thought process or not though...

EDIT: What I meant here was that in eco mode it would shift earlier and be at lower RPMs most of the time, which is when I could hear the noise. Just doing this to try to reproduce the sound.

Last edited by wespiard; 03-08-2020 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
Yiolli
Yiolli
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 428 F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wespiard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanF30 View Post
Haha. I was in Eco Mode to see if I could get more boost to make the noise more noticeable. Not sure if that's a valid thought process or not though...
Why does eco give you more boost?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 08:33 PM   #13
wespiard
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiolli View Post
Why does eco give you more boost?
I didn't mean that eco gives you more boost, what I mean is that because the noise was only noticeable at low RPMs with boost kicking in, by having it in eco it would shift sooner so I could hear the noise more of the time.

If I wasn't in eco and I gave it a lot of throttle it would of course just stay at high RPMs all the time and I wouldn't be able to hear the noise.

I'll edit my previous post to avoid confusion, because eco obviously does not give you more boost.
Appreciate 1
Yiolli25.50