F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help with CPO 340i
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Need help with CPO 340i

Hi everyone, first post but Iíve been browsing bmw forums since my first e90 330i.

I need help on how to approach my dealership and my options in possible recourse.

Bought a CPO 340i in November, red interior, 6spd, m-sport, track handling, speced exactly as I want with only 10k miles. For these specific options I bought the car from a BMW dealer over 3 hours away.

First night driving it home check engine light, contacted dealer first thing in the morning about what happened and that Iíd be taking it to a local bmw. Basically I just wanted them to be aware that this happened within 2 hours of me driving off the lot.

Took it to local bmw they flagged several issues.

1. The check engine light was due to some valve in the gas tank that needed to be replaced.
2. The rear tires were under sized by several sizes. Like sidewalk stretched smaller than the front undersized.
3. The front headlights were misaligned, Iíd asked them to check because of constant flashing from oncoming traffic when driving it home that night
4. And the main issue, an aftermarket wiring harness in the engine bay that turns out could potentially void my warranty and increases performance by about 40hp (Dinan + I believe)

Local bmw fixed the check engine light but would not touch the tune or replace the tires or adjust the headlights, and advised me to take it back to where I bought it. Thankfully the sales team was/has been great and sent a driver with a loaner M340i and took my car and drove it back a few days later. (Almost an additional 700miles on the car I should mention)

Additionally they did not make it a secret how critical they were of the certification process at the dealership I bought it from.

Now Iím trying to fight for the MPPSK kit to make up the 30-40 hp as the car is absolutely not the same once they removed the harness (which I had the dealership mail to me). I was quoted 2950 or something which is IMO completely unreasonable because as far as Iím concerned the car was falsely advertised as it was unbelievably fast (Iíve had a couple sports cars and this isnít my first bmw to know that the car did not have ~330 hp). Low key I had a feeling the car couldnít stock but Hindsight.

What could/should I do? I sent an email to the GM this past Saturday but with the holidays I understand the slow response. As far as I know the MPPSK is the only bmw option that will keep my warranty intact and give the performance I lost.

Appreciate your guys help and I learn a lot from these forums
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Additional if you zoom in you can see how small the rear tire is which I didnít notice, I just wanted to get in/out because of the 3+hour drive home
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #3
esoj37
Lieutenant
esoj37's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: B58 F30 6MT RWD
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Baton Rouge

iTrader: (9)

I would like to know how the car passed the CPO inspection with a piggyback installed.
__________________
MG B58 F30
AP Intake, MPE & Stage 1 BM3
Appreciate 1
Blubaron791083.00

      01-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
2117
Rep
5,498
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

The dealership you brought it from needs to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #5
chenry
Lieutenant Colonel
828
Rep
1,648
Posts

Drives: BostonWhaler, M340
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

would you kindly post a picture of the Dinan part in question
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
GA/\/\/\/\A_CT
Private First Class
17
Rep
114
Posts

Drives: '16 340xi track pack
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Keep in mind that the Dinan part may have jeapardized your bmw warranty. I would not accept a CPO car that passed the certification process with a dinan piggyback. Full refund, end of story.
Appreciate 1
DL335D60.50

      01-02-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
2117
Rep
5,498
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA/\/\/\/\A_CT View Post
Keep in mind that the Dinan part may have jeapardized your bmw warranty. I would not accept a CPO car that passed the certification process with a dinan piggyback. Full refund, end of story.
They may claim the piggy back was added after the car was sold to cover their asses.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 06:08 PM   #8
les anderson
Private First Class
69
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: 340i
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

I think you have a lot of leverage on this and have every right to demand a MPPSK.

The CPO process is supposed to be comprehensive and there is no way it was in this case due to the tune and even worse the tire. I expect that the dealer would not want BMWNA to know about this, and the fact that this dealer drove hundreds of miles and loaned you a $60k+ car speaks to their level of concern in my opinion. This is really bad, and a threat to get BMW NA involved would be the next bullet to fire. It is not unreasonable for you to never consider BMW again to this saga.

At the same time, I have been shopping 340is lately and that car is nice. 10k mile examples are not easy to find especially in that color combo. I don't love the fact it was tuned, but there is very little chance that tune did any damage and I would not let it bother me.

I would be patient, and reasonable but also convey clarity that you realize this is wrong and you need them to make it right or will be forced to escalate the issue.
Appreciate 1
esoj37108.00

      01-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #9
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoj37 View Post
I would like to know how the car passed the CPO inspection with a piggyback installed.
Exactly my point.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #10
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
They may claim the piggy back was added after the car was sold to cover their asses.
I have documentation that my local dealership found the harness and the purchasing dealership acknowledged and removed the harness. I guess you can never be too sure
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #11
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the responses, Iím going to continue to be patient and follow up this weekend or Monday and slowly escalate the situation until the fold or I return the car and bring legal action into the equation. I do really like the car but not enough to deal with this BS.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #12
AlpineX
Captain
234
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: Diesel
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCpreet View Post
but would not touch the tune or replace the tires or adjust the headlights, and advised me to take it back to where I bought it.
As CPO from a franchise dealership? No question.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #13
AlpineX
Captain
234
Rep
776
Posts

Drives: Diesel
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Tire incorrect size basically proves they did not inspect the car CPO properly.

Last edited by AlpineX; 01-03-2020 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
city1991116.50

      01-02-2020, 10:26 PM   #14
Elvisfan
Captain
283
Rep
985
Posts

Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (0)

Have you seen the inspection sheet for the CPO? That would be interesting. Who puts smaller tires on a car? Who knows what internal damage may be done.
.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #15
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
Have you seen the inspection sheet for the CPO? That would be interesting. Who puts smaller tires on a car? Who knows what internal damage may be done.
.
I have not but thatíll be something I ask for next time I speak with someone. They did tell me that the technician who mounted the tires had been let go for similar incidents, which I donít really believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:51 PM   #16
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
3170
Rep
2,431
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL/Shelbyville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
Seems that the tech who was given the car for the CPO checklist saw that the car had only 10k miles and just checked everything off while texting.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #17
esoj37
Lieutenant
esoj37's Avatar
United_States
108
Rep
413
Posts

Drives: B58 F30 6MT RWD
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Baton Rouge

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by les anderson View Post
I think you have a lot of leverage on this and have every right to demand a MPPSK.

The CPO process is supposed to be comprehensive and there is no way it was in this case due to the tune and even worse the tire. I expect that the dealer would not want BMWNA to know about this, and the fact that this dealer drove hundreds of miles and loaned you a $60k+ car speaks to their level of concern in my opinion. This is really bad, and a threat to get BMW NA involved would be the next bullet to fire. It is not unreasonable for you to never consider BMW again to this saga.

At the same time, I have been shopping 340is lately and that car is nice. 10k mile examples are not easy to find especially in that color combo. I don't love the fact it was tuned, but there is very little chance that tune did any damage and I would not let it bother me.

I would be patient, and reasonable but also convey clarity that you realize this is wrong and you need them to make it right or will be forced to escalate the issue.
This is a really good point.
__________________
MG B58 F30
AP Intake, MPE & Stage 1 BM3
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:05 AM   #18
capt_slow
Lieutenant
capt_slow's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
439
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 328d
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Demand to see the original CPO checklist for the car. It outlines every inspection item on the vehicle to ensure it meets the CPO spec. It should look like this

If you can prove that CPO document was falsified in any way, the dealer, the tech, and the managers will be in trouble.
__________________
2017 328d xDrive Sports Wagon: Estoril Blue, Black Sensatec, Driver Assist Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, ACC, Side/Top Cameras, Park Assist, Nav, HK
2018 i3 Rex: Imperial Blue, Giga Brown leather w/ Carnum Cloth, Tech+Driver Assist Pkg, PDC, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:47 AM   #19
chowser51
Lieutenant Colonel
chowser51's Avatar
United_States
766
Rep
1,504
Posts

Drives: 18 F33 430ix B46 BM3s1-93
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I agree CPO process is messed up, but how do you justify a MPPSK?

They mailed you the piggyback thing back. Reinstall it if you want the same performance or live with it.

Personally I would’ve demanded a full refund after finding out the CPO process was fubared.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 12:59 AM   #20
eluded
2JZ-GTE
eluded's Avatar
Bulgaria
2111
Rep
2,999
Posts

Drives: 340 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sofia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFCpreet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esoj37 View Post
I would like to know how the car passed the CPO inspection with a piggyback installed.
Exactly my point.
If all of this is true, I would just hire a lawyer and let the lawyer deal with everything. This is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 01:15 AM   #21
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
I agree CPO process is messed up, but how do you justify a MPPSK?

They mailed you the piggyback thing back. Reinstall it if you want the same performance or live with it.

Personally I wouldíve demanded a full refund after finding out the CPO process was fubared.
Iím justifying MPPSK as in it replacing the lost ~30-40 horsepower. I can live with the botched CPO. Re-Installing the piggyback voids the warranty...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:15 AM   #22
LFCpreet
New Member
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: BMW 340i
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Demand to see the original CPO checklist for the car. It outlines every inspection item on the vehicle to ensure it meets the CPO spec. It should look like this

If you can prove that CPO document was falsified in any way, the dealer, the tech, and the managers will be in trouble.
Wow thanks! I didnít even consider this, it sounds like this might become a bigger issue than I thought. Iíll keep yíall posted I think this is going to be a process, shame though I really do love the car
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST