F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Battery replacement f30 n55
Extreme Powerhouse

03-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 black F30 N55

Battery replacement f30 n55

Hello, I have an issue with my auto start stop and I keep getting codes saying low voltage. However; bimmerlink says my battery is at 73%. When are these batteries supposed to be replaced at? 60% maybe? It's a 2013 on the same battery with 95k miles if that helps. I've been trying to find something on the forums but they're for E90's. Tia
      03-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #2
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
No help here, just commenting:

wow! 7 years! I can barely get 4-5 on any car battery.
No matter the brand of car. I always replace by year 5.
My daughter's car is 13 years old and on the original battery. I should probably change it but it made it through the worst of winter already with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #3
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
No help here, just commenting:

wow! 7 years! I can barely get 4-5 on any car battery.
No matter the brand of car. I always replace by year 5.
My daughter's car is 13 years old and on the original battery. I should probably change it but it made it through the worst of winter already with no issues.
I'm in southern California so our winters are like spring. Good thing we have a storm right now. But we'll be in a drought again lol
      03-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcordier View Post
Hello, I have an issue with my auto start stop and I keep getting codes saying low voltage. However; bimmerlink says my battery is at 73%. When are these batteries supposed to be replaced at? 60% maybe? It's a 2013 on the same battery with 95k miles if that helps. I've been trying to find something on the forums but they're for E90's. Tia
How old is the battery, you are already getting signs... there are only 2 ways to go with this.

1. Preemptive strike means you replace an old battery before you get stuck somewhere on the side of the road.

2. Wait for it to die out with you stuck on the side of the road.

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 03-16-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
jcordier160.50
      03-16-2020, 08:49 PM   #5
davidr3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Once the car starts telling you something is up, take it and run. Replace that thing. No point in trying to squeeze the life out of it and being stranded somewhere.
Appreciate 3
      03-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #6
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:
How old is the battery, you are already getting signs... there are only 2 ways to go with this.

1. Preemptive strike means you replace an old battery before you get stuck somewhere on the side of the road.

2. Wait for it to die out with you stuck on the side of the road.

I'm going with number 1. I've been thinking the same thing. I was just thinking what if I would be replacing it when it's unnecessary because it's still at 73%. I have a lot of things plugged in too such as two dash cams, WiFi for bm3, echo auto and 2 chargers. I'm sure that's probably taking a massive toll on it's life. I'll be replacing it tomorrow. I don't want to get stuck and be sol.
      03-17-2020, 12:43 AM   #7
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
I'm going with number 1. I've been thinking the same thing. I was just thinking what if I would be replacing it when it's unnecessary because it's still at 73%. I have a lot of things plugged in too such as two dash cams, WiFi for bm3, echo auto and 2 chargers. I'm sure that's probably taking a massive toll on it's life. I'll be replacing it tomorrow. I don't want to get stuck and be sol.
You’re overdue anyway, count your blessings and change it. Maybe you could squeeze another year out of it, but at the cost of wondering every time if this is the trip where you get stranded. And you know it would be at the most inconvenient time possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 12:51 AM   #8
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Quote:
You’re overdue anyway, count your blessings and change it. Maybe you could squeeze another year out of it, but at the cost of wondering every time if this is the trip where you get stranded. And you know it would be at the most inconvenient time possible.
I couldn't agree more. I keep wondering if it's going to be it's last start. It's best to just replace it and not have to worry anymore. Like you said, "I don't want to get stuck somewhere which would probably be the worst place possible".
      03-17-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

I've averaged 7 years from factory BMW batteries on my E60 & E70. Very similar results with Walmart (Johnson Controls) replacement batteries on my E36 & E39's. At 73% charge, you don't have a battery problem. The DME won't prevent starting until battery SOC is 35-40%, depending on temperature. I wonder if you have a charging problem or a bad engine ground cable. Do you get the low voltage warning if you disable auto start-stop? How long does car sit with engine off and all accessories on, before re-start?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
I've averaged 7 years from factory BMW batteries on my E60 & E70. Very similar results with Walmart (Johnson Controls) replacement batteries on my E36 & E39's. At 73% charge, you don't have a battery problem. The DME won't prevent starting until battery SOC is 35-40%, depending on temperature. I wonder if you have a charging problem or a bad engine ground cable. Do you get the low voltage warning if you disable auto start-stop? How long does car sit with engine off and all accessories on, before re-start?
That's what I was thinking 73% seems pretty solid for it to be acting up the way it is. if there's a charging problem or something wrong with the alternator. Would I get a code? do you mean the ground cable to the battery itself? I keep getting a rear camera code a lot but I just clear it. Below is a pic of the codes that always come up. Faulty going to sleep is because of the dash cam or bm3 WiFi module. Even when I disconnect them I still can't use auto start stop either. So I don't think that's the issue. My heater won't blow out both sides either. It's one or the other. Which might be the causing the climate code.
Attached Images

03-17-2020, 02:49 PM   #11
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
That's what I was thinking 73% seems pretty solid for it to be acting up the way it is. if there's a charging problem or something wrong with the alternator. Would I get a code? do you mean the ground cable to the battery itself? I keep getting a rear camera code a lot but I just clear it. Below is a pic of the codes that always come up. Faulty going to sleep is because of the dash cam or bm3 WiFi module. Even when I disconnect them I still can't use auto start stop either. So I don't think that's the issue. My heater won't blow out both sides either. It's one or the other. Which might be the causing the climate code.
Look...okay I get it, you don't want to spend money.

You want to know if you have a charging problem. Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on your battery when the car is running (alternator is running), it should be close to 14 volt. My previous car was actually 14.2 volt when alternator is charging the battery. Some people get 13.7 volt.

Anyway... the battery is 8 yrs old in a modern car with lots of electronics...its already one of kind battery for lasting that long.

Just me, I don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere at night just for the sake of keeping this battery for another year. Those error codes you getting is the battery telling you... bro let me retire bro.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #12
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Quote:
Look...okay I get it, you don't want to spend money.

You want to know if you have a charging problem. Use a voltmeter to measure the voltage on your battery when the car is running (alternator is running), it should be close to 14 volt. My previous car was actually 14.2 volt when alternator is charging the battery. Some people get 13.7 volt.

Anyway... the battery is 8 yrs old in a modern car with lots of electronics...its already one of kind battery for lasting that long.

Just me, I don't want to get stranded in the middle of nowhere at night just for the sake of keeping this battery for another year. Those error codes you getting is the battery telling you... bro let me retire bro.
I went yesterday to get the battery and the guy told me that I didn't need one yet because it was still okay. And that when agm batteries are dying. They normally just die completely. I'll use bm3 and check how the battery runs when I'm driving. Either way. I'm going to order one right now. I don't want to get stuck. Plus I'm thinking it might solve all of the other issues I've been having. Thank you for your advice. My battery will be retiring as soon as I get the new one in the mail.
      03-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #13
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If anybody else needs a battery. I used this site

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...igationPath=L1*14920%7CL2*15000%7CL3*15597

And was able to use a 25% coupon code that they sent me for signing up.
      03-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #14
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Quote:
I went yesterday to get the battery and the guy told me that I didn't need one yet because it was still okay. And that when agm batteries are dying. They normally just die completely. I'll use bm3 and check how the battery runs when I'm driving. Either way. I'm going to order one right now. I don't want to get stuck. Plus I'm thinking it might solve all of the other issues I've been having. Thank you for your advice. My battery will be retiring as soon as I get the new one in the mail.

Did he load test the battery? That normally gives you a fairly accurate picture of the battery's condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:07 PM   #15
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Quote:

Did he load test the battery? That normally gives you a fairly accurate picture of the battery's condition.
He did. It came back okay then. I just went else where to have it checked again, and it failed miserably. I'm glad I double checked it.
      03-18-2020, 07:59 PM   #16
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quick update: replaced my battery. And auto start stop doesn't work still. If it's my alternator would I get a code? Or could it be a problem with bm3?
      03-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #17
fuse27
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
I don't think I saw in the thread, but did you code the new battery? This can be done with the BimmerLink app, as well as others. Make sure that's done and then see if auto start/stop is still an issue.

Former: 2013 BMW 335i xDrive | Mineral Gray Metallic | DINAN Stage 3 [traded] - 2000 BMW 323Ci | Jet Black [RIP]
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #18
davidr3
Captain
Rep

Yup, you're going to have to buy an OBD 2 adapter, and the bimmerlink app, or use the carly app with their adapter. Not familiar with BM3 but maybe that'll let you code the battery. Anyway, BMW recommends all car batteries to be coded. I'm speaking purely from experience that the car doesn't seem to be as smooth until the car battery is coded. (electronics acting weird, car taking a little longer to turn over)
Edit: If the battery was coded: Did the battery come precharged? Auto start stop won't work until the battery is charged up.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 03:34 PM   #19
jcordier
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I used bimmerlink and registered the new battery. It came 99% charged. It was kind of weird that I didn't have to enter anything in to register the new battery. It just knew I guess. It was very convenient, and I recommend using it. Even it being at 99% auto start stop doesn't work. I'm thinking maybe it's the alternator now. It starts a lot better than it was before with my old battery which is a good sign. Thank you everybody for responding.
      03-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #20
davidr3
Captain
Rep

If it makes you feel any better, I never use start stop nor do a lot of the other forum members. Obviously this isn't a fix to the issue but i'm not sure how important Auto start stop is to you. If it's more important to you then i'd start looking into it deeper.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:22 PM   #21
pshovest
BMW CCA 69606
Rep
Drives: '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5,'98M3

Is your car an auto? Do you run in manual/sport mode with gear shift to the left all the time? I believe auto stop start is disabled with gearshift to the left.
Have your codes disappeared with the new battery?
If you didn't use the code reader, are there any dash warnings/messages to indicate a problem?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #22
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
State of charge is the amount of charge in the battery, not how much life is left. A brand new battery could show 70% and a battery that needs replacing could show 70%. Your battery probably has a high internal resistance and is not holding charge as well as it should.

Batteries require different replacement intervals depending on many variables. As others have said, it's time to replace your battery. Do not question that.
Appreciate 0