F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Cleaned Coral Red Leather with NATURAL cleaner!
ARMA SPEED

09-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Florida_Pete
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC M-Sport

Cleaned Coral Red Leather with NATURAL cleaner!

So I almost had a conniption fit!

I put a very small amount of NATURAL pink grapefruit cleaner on a toothbrush to clean a black smudge of sort off the drivers seat. Within seconds, my toothbrush was PINK and my heart was thumping!

Luckily it did no permanent damage (we'll see if it is faded tomorrow morning)...

What is a good cleaner to use for the red leather interior for those of you who have it?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Pete View Post

I put a very small amount of NATURAL pink grapefruit cleaner on a toothbrush to clean a black smudge of sort off the drivers seat. Within seconds, my toothbrush was PINK and my heart was thumping!

Luckily it did no permanent damage (we'll see if it is faded tomorrow morning)...

What is a good cleaner to use for the red leather interior for those of you who have it?
I use Wolfgang's cleaner and conditioner, it's a little expensive, but I rather play it safe than sorry with leather cleaners

Also, same thing happened to me when I was cleaning my steering wheel, I took off some of the black when rubbing hard, so now I just put pressure with the towel to try and let it penetrate rather than use abrasiveness
      09-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Method all-purpose cleaner with powergreen® technology
put the hurt on dirt - grease and grime don’t stand a chance. not with powergreen® technology in your grasp. each squirt, in all its lovely non-toxic glory, delivers a powerful cleaning punch with naturally derived, biodegradable ingredients. cleaners made from corn + coconut break down dirt, leaving nothing behind but the pleasant scent of victory.

As it's billed as powerful, I'd dilute it 50% to start, at least, to use on leather. Did you try it first in an inconspicuous spot? You might have had success removing the smudge with water on a microfiber towel. Even a soft toothbrush can be too stiff for use on leather without scratching/damaging the surface.
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Florida_Pete
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i GC M-Sport

Lesson learned for sure - I haven't tried any other stuff yet, but warm water and the toothbrush worked just ok for the other areas.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

call me old school but I have used Lexol cleaner and conditioner for years with good results. The cleaner/soap has always taken any dirt or stains off with no issues and never have I had any colour transfer from my leather to the cloth I am using.
I am sure there is better stuff out there. However, I am convinced the important aspect for leather is not what you use but HOW often you use it. I make sure I give the seats a good clean and conditioning once a year. Then I follow up with a quick spray of conditioner about once a month. It takes a few minutes to do the quick spray and wipe and my leather has always lasted really well.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #6
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

Lexol or Mother's VMR. Both are awesome
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
B58
Major
Rep
Drives: 922 Turbo

I use Lexol. I spray a little on the seats, take a wet microfiber towel (more damp) and spray some on that, and scrub the seat gently until it looks soapy or foamy whatever. Then i use a clean dry microfiber towel and clean it off and i have done this maybe 7 times by now or at least once every other week... i like taking care of my interior coral red need extra attention... and it doesn't eat away or stain the microfiber towel with the color so it works legit.
      04-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
I'm always wary of 'natural' products, what it means is that they have used something that just happened to be around in nature, that evolved for a completely different purpose, and they want to repurpose it for the job.

Would much rather use something that was designed and built for the job, so you know its suitable.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Grapefruit juice is acidic. Most soaps are alkaline.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
Chriske92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

I use the Swissvax leather cleaner for the heavy contamination and afterwards i put the Swissvax leather milk on it. It's a very expensive product (around €40/bottle), but i like Swissvax products. They do what they should do and smell amazing
Appreciate 0