F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Break dust removal
GetBMWParts

10-11-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
Nell1995
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xdrive sportline

Break dust removal

Wondering if there was any solutions to put on my wheels after i wash them from the dust already there, washed them last week and there pretty much dark and covered again.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

One solution would be a less-dusty brake pad set, like Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic pads, for instance.
http://showmetheparts.com/akebono/

Getting your wheels as clean as possible requires a good cleaner. Here'a a recent thread about cleaners. I like Sonax, but you can get a similar, if not the same, cleaner from your BMW dealer.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=wheel+cleaner

Once clean. use a sealant on the wheels to make it more difficult for the dust to stick to the wheels. There are many choices - I've used RejeX & Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. Regular car wax doesn't last long, and wheel waxes aren't much better. A sealant seems to be more worth the effort, to me.

ArmorAll makes a protective spray meant to repel brake dust, road grime & dirt.
http://www.armorall.com/products/whe...dust-repellent

Good luck!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
Nell1995
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
One solution would be a less-dusty brake pad set, like Akebono EURO Ultra-Premium Ceramic pads, for instance.
http://showmetheparts.com/akebono/

Getting your wheels as clean as possible requires a good cleaner. Here'a a recent thread about cleaners. I like Sonax, but you can get a similar, if not the same, cleaner from your BMW dealer.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1516017&highlight=wheel+cleaner

Once clean. use a sealant on the wheels to make it more difficult for the dust to stick to the wheels. There are many choices - I've used RejeX & Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant. Regular car wax doesn't last long, and wheel waxes aren't much better. A sealant seems to be more worth the effort, to me.

ArmorAll makes a protective spray meant to repel brake dust, road grime & dirt.
http://www.armorall.com/products/wheels/brake-dust-repellent

Good luck!
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 12:23 AM   #4
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

I've tried that spray, it works but only about a 25% improvement in dust.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
If you remove your wheels and give them a really good clean you can apply ceramic coating.

This won't keep brake dust entirely off your wheels or inside the barrels, but when it comes time to cleaning them it will make it a thousand times easier.

Sadly I don't think there is any solution to rid it for good.

Like everything else, there are probably 10 million different opinions of what is best and I'm sure none of them are wrong...You just have to find something you'll be happy with and that works for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Nell1995
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStarBimmer View Post
If you remove your wheels and give them a really good clean you can apply ceramic coating.

This won't keep brake dust entirely off your wheels or inside the barrels, but when it comes time to cleaning them it will make it a thousand times easier.

Sadly I don't think there is any solution to rid it for good.

Like everything else, there are probably 10 million different opinions of what is best and I'm sure none of them are wrong...You just have to find something you'll be happy with and that works for you!
Thanks and yeah i figured it wouldn't rid it completely but at least want it to slow the process down a bit, someone also told me to get ceramic breaks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #7
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell1995 View Post
Thanks and yeah i figured it wouldn't rid it completely but at least want it to slow the process down a bit, someone also told me to get ceramic breaks.

Have you priced out carbon/ceramic brakes? While they would be amazing to have that is a major investment. If you're just talking about changing to ceramic pads it may help a little bit, but a bottle of ceramic coating for the faces and barrels is about 50 dollars and your time.

Brake dust is an on going battle so i went with what made it easiest to get clean.

GL!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #8
mlev
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model Y Performance

I went with R1 Ceramic Brake Pads for this exact issue...pretty cheap and performance is quite good. They squeak the first couple times I stop when they're cold then it goes away. May need to bed them in some more. But brake dust is much better, it was driving me crazy before and the ceramic dust is not brown like OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
TK335iMSPT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335ixdrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
I went with R1 Ceramic Brake Pads for this exact issue...pretty cheap and performance is quite good. They squeak the first couple times I stop when they're cold then it goes away. May need to bed them in some more. But brake dust is much better, it was driving me crazy before and the ceramic dust is not brown like OEM.
How's the initial bite when cold? Oem seems lacking in this area.
Appreciate 0