F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New Mini - Paintwork Problems
ARMA SPEED

06-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

New Mini - Paintwork Problems

Well, as if my F31 paintwork issues weren't bad, have a look at my new Mini - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9688855&type=1

Detailer was appalled by the quality of the paintwork; it has come straight from the factory.

I have refused delivery of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Sorry, must have taken a wrong turning, I thought this was a BMW forum.....
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Where is the Mini BMW forum?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

We don't want none of that British stuff here

German swag
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
Jamese93
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Lol, harsh!

I rejected an e93 a few years back as the paint was also terrible. Swirls, flies burnt into the paint, fallout damage etc., and in a new 45k car bought privately, just not good enough. Not good enough on some cheap crap from a budget manufacturer to be honest.

Sometimes BMW group paint is just utter shite, really sub standard.

Seems however as if you got it without them valeting it straight from the dealer which probably shows us how they all come. Eek....

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #6
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Such a shame Andy What are the meter readings, some kind of surface imperfection measurement.

What's the next steps?
      06-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamese93 View Post
Sometimes BMW group paint is just utter shite, really sub standard.

Seems however as if you got it without them valeting it straight from the dealer which probably shows us how they all come. Eek....

Good luck!
Thanks - it's terrible the state they send new cars out in.

Ironically, our last Mini was sent back due to similar paintwork defects. BMW didn't even try and argue that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
Such a shame Andy What are the meter readings, some kind of surface imperfection measurement.

What's the next steps?
They are paint depth readings, in microns.

A factory sprayed car should be around 120-130 microns. Once you go below 70 microns on an OEM sprayed car, you run the risk of striking through the clear coat and catching the base (which is a disaster).

The worrying thing is how inconsistent the robots are applying the paint. Panels generally have some kind of consistency, but this is all over the place. I can see quite a few paintwork warranty arguments because dealers check the depth readings and BMW has a habit of refusing warranty work where there are varying depth readings (they often claim someone has had it resprayed).

My detailer would normally remove 2-3 microns polishing my car to a real shine before sealing or waxing it. With this car, he would need to correct all those marks and he doesn't want to take that risk as chances are, he will end up going through the clear coat.

Next step is to see what BMW/Mini say. But it is a real mess for us as we needed this car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@AndyH:

So sorry to hear you are having further paint problems.

Those readings are shocking and all over the place. You cannot accept that car. No way. You would have lots of problems in the future.

BMW/Mini should be ashamed producing such sub-standard quality.

I had the same problem with my Red Mk6 Golf GTI. I had to have the bonnet, front/rear bumpers re-sprayed.

My nephew just got himself a Mazda CX5. Perfect deep dark blue metallic paint finish, no orange peel, minute gaps with panels, perfectly hung doors, perfectly upholstered leather seats which don't get baggy when you sit on them, beautifully finished inside and outside BECAUSE IT IS A MADE IN JAPAN GRADE A PRODUCT.

My BMW looks a mess compared to the Mazda.

And the Mazda drives beautifully. Most impressed.

I also saw the latest S Class Mercedes today in deep dark blue metallic. The paintwork on that car was really something else. Orange peel? No way. Much worse. It was more of a golf ball surface effect. The owner was pretty pissed off with the finish. He wished he had stayed with Lexus.

German cars are not that well made/finished. Compared to Lexus, Premium German makes have a really shoddy finish. We have been beautifully hoodwinked by the Germans.
      06-05-2014, 12:13 AM   #9
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

@ F30AM

Thanks. This is going to turn into another battle with BMW

BMW have disputed the paint readings and said 80-120 is within their acceptable range (which is funny as their own site says otherwise!).

They are saying that the car should have never have gone to the detailer to inspect the paint and we cannot refuse the car after it has been sent to him.

A quite incredible series of comments from a "premium brand" car manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #10
Sleepwalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW F30 320d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Sorry, must have taken a wrong turning, I thought this was a BMW forum.....
The Mini is manufactured by BMW. So I don't think these's anything wrong posting something about a Mini in the regionl/general forums
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

That's terrible Andy and a nightmare for you. Using a detailer always seems to run the risk of them then not accepting responsibility for any problems.

Keep us updated how you get on.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #12
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
That's terrible Andy and a nightmare for you. Using a detailer always seems to run the risk of them then not accepting responsibility for any problems.

Keep us updated how you get on.
This is proving to be a complete and utter nightmare.

Our detailer provided a comprehensive report, with pictures and paint thickness readings (using two different meters). He believes the car was damaged on the nearside door at the factory and has been resprayed because the paint readings are nearly 2x higher there than the other side. BMW UK refused to even look at the report.

The car was recovered (at our expense) to the local BMW approved bodyshop two weeks ago for them to do a full report. This is the same bodyshop that we have had countless issues with and BMW have refused to get involved.

The bodyshop has made it plainly clear that they do not want to get involved or do a full report. They took paint depth readings, which corroborated those provided two weeks ago by our detailer in his report, however BMW UK rejected the bodyshop's report because it "was not in the correct format". There was no mention of the trim damage/damage to the offside door. The bodyshop manager has said he will not produce another report or do anything else.

The dealer who we bought the car from has had to get the car recovered to another dealer in their chain. The car will be inspected by the bodyshop there and I have no idea what else they will do. Someone from BMW UK warranty will inspect the car on Friday, but apparently they have no paintwork expertise.

The whole situation is farcical. BMW UK are in no hurry to resolve this and we have had no apology, nothing from them. Ironically, I have read that some North American dealers have rejected some new Minis because they have been delivered full of swirls and buffer marks.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #13
F30AM
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport sDrive

@AndyH:

This is simply quite a horrible situation to be in. I know how you feel and how stressful and upsetting it can be.

BMW Customer Services are in name only. I have also had my battles with them. The baggy leather seat scenario ran and ran for 3 months and even though it was as clear as night and day that they were in a shocking state, they refused to accept there was anything wrong. Their arrogance is quite phenomenal.

Maybe it is time for you to walk away from the BMW brand.

As for my car, they did a good paint job, but chipped the top part of the bumper whilst attaching the grille. So my car is back in the body shop for this, Plus to remove swirl marks on the two front wings near the bumper and re-align the bumper. Fed up with the whole saga. But I think that this time it will come out fine. At long last and after 11 months to get a plastic bumper sorted!!!!!