F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > 100k miles Maintenance 2013 328i
ARMA SPEED

09-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #45
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozen View Post
Thanks. Noted.
My next maintenance is my front absorbers... They are leaking slightly.
How to check front absorbers? Are u referring to engine mounts?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #46
marcozen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
How to check front absorbers? Are u referring to engine mounts?

Not the engine mounts. The shock absobers or aka the dampers.
My car was hoisted up and I noticed oil stains at the bottom of each absorber.
The seals inside are starting to give way.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #47
4bangaturbo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i N26 M Sport

new update!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:24 AM   #48
fzrashid
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F20 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangaturbo View Post
new update!
Cool. Where did you order the updated timing chain kit from?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:53 AM   #49
4bangaturbo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrashid View Post
got it off fcpeuro for about 550~ usd.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #50
marcozen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzrashid View Post

He said "new update" and you KNEW it was his timing chain ? Hehehe ... mutant huh ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #51
marcozen
Private
Rep

Quote:
got it off fcpeuro for about 550~ usd.
Besides the timing chain .... have u done any work on your steering rack ? Any knocking sounds ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 01:30 AM   #52
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I've got parts and tools en route, scheduled for delivery tomorrow for a day of fun under my car. Planned projects:

Brake fluid flush
Differential fluid drain & fill
Replace serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley
Re-torque bolts for the oil filter housing (I seem to have sprung an oil leak and I'm hoping it's just that again and not something more costly/labor intensive. I'll replace the gaskets again at my next oil change)

Speaking of the leak, I've got a bunch of oil down the front of my engine, on and around the belt & pulleys, and it seems to have sprayed off the belt onto the side of my air box and other surrounding areas. Is it advisable to spray the area down with brake cleaner to try to isolate where exactly the leak is coming from? Any thoughts of what else might be leaking? I thought maybe the valve cover gasket, but I'm not getting any oil down the passenger side where it usually leaks and vaporizes on the exhaust manifold, and it originates higher up on the engine, so I don't think it's the oil pan gasket...at least I'm hoping it's not. That project seems like a PITA. I'm hoping re-torquing the OFHGs will quell the leak enough until I can replace them again and that that will solve the problem, but I'll probably get the VCG and oil pan done at some point anyways, just based on the mileage (102k ish).

Any other thoughts/insights would be welcome!
      12-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #53
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
my car is currently sitting at 85k miles no issues so far! been doing all the maintenance myself after 50k (oil change/filter every 5k, cabin air filter when its starts to get smelly, brake pads/rotors when needed).

now that im coming up onto 100k ive started to compile parts to do preventative maintenance. please let me know if im missing anything or if anything im doing is unnecessary.

-brake fluid flush
-oil change/filter
-cabin air filter
-engine air filter
-coils and plugs
-diff flush
-transmission flush (do i have to replace the whole pan?)
-coolant expansion tank (heard these fail and leak at the bottom in higher mileage cars)
-coolant flush

UPDATE @ 95k miles
-coolant expansion tank seems to be holding up, seems like a more common issues on the e9x
-replace plugs with ngks because i just went bm3 stage 2, the coils seem good still.
-ordered a updated timing chain kit since my timing chain & guide are the older ones
-replaced charge pipes with er, i consider this a maintenance item
-replaced engine filter with k&n drop in
I'm around the same mileage as you on my 2012 328i. In regards to the timing chain, why did you purchase it all yourself? I know most indy shops don't accept customers providing their own parts. On top of not being able to warranty them, the analogy sometimes used is you wouldn't bring your own ingredients to a restaraunt. Also, only one local BMW indy shop is actually willing to do the work here in Seattle (Quoted around 2.3k) -- the other shops claim they don't have the special BMW tools required for the job since they are expensive. Were you planning on taking it on yourself?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #54
4bangaturbo
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Besides the timing chain .... have u done any work on your steering rack ? Any knocking sounds ?
streeing rack seems to be holding up no issues. no knocking sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
I've got parts and tools en route, scheduled for delivery tomorrow for a day of fun under my car. Planned projects:

Brake fluid flush
Differential fluid drain & fill
Replace serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley
Re-torque bolts for the oil filter housing (I seem to have sprung an oil leak and I'm hoping it's just that again and not something more costly/labor intensive. I'll replace the gaskets again at my next oil change)

Speaking of the leak, I've got a bunch of oil down the front of my engine, on and around the belt & pulleys, and it seems to have sprayed off the belt onto the side of my air box and other surrounding areas. Is it advisable to spray the area down with brake cleaner to try to isolate where exactly the leak is coming from? Any thoughts of what else might be leaking? I thought maybe the valve cover gasket, but I'm not getting any oil down the passenger side where it usually leaks and vaporizes on the exhaust manifold, and it originates higher up on the engine, so I don't think it's the oil pan gasket...at least I'm hoping it's not. That project seems like a PITA. I'm hoping re-torquing the OFHGs will quell the leak enough until I can replace them again and that that will solve the problem, but I'll probably get the VCG and oil pan done at some point anyways, just based on the mileage (102k ish).

Any other thoughts/insights would be welcome!
yeah i would definitely check the OFHG. Never really had any leaks with this car other than the time i used STP filters from autozone. After that incident i stocked up on Mann filters haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanelko View Post
I'm around the same mileage as you on my 2012 328i. In regards to the timing chain, why did you purchase it all yourself? I know most indy shops don't accept customers providing their own parts. On top of not being able to warranty them, the analogy sometimes used is you wouldn't bring your own ingredients to a restaraunt. Also, only one local BMW indy shop is actually willing to do the work here in Seattle (Quoted around 2.3k) -- the other shops claim they don't have the special BMW tools required for the job since they are expensive. Were you planning on taking it on yourself?
no im going to take a it too a shop. yeah thats weird haha all my shops ive been too ive always brought my own parts. SSR performance down in OC helps me out ever since i got my bmw.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #55
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
I cant find any info on here ( I think I searched every way ) has anyone performed a walnut blasting on the N20 yet? Im at 98k miles and getting ready to do a ton of preventive maint. Being the N20 is more or less an N55 with 2 less cylinders I would assume its in need now or real soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #56
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
Nobody has info on whether or not we need to walnut blast? My cars approaching 100k, I get wierd hiccups here or there with idle but other than that its fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 05:37 AM   #57
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Guys this is the PDF from ZF on doing the servicing of the transmission / gearbox.

They recommend an oil change every 80k - 120k kilometres.

Looking at the manual , I can SAFELY say that my mechanic DID NOT FOLLOW
the bolting pattern !

Additionally if you have a transmission oil cooler - fill up an extra 0.5 L.

Thanks to @IraHayes as well.
Thanks for the PDF, but it only shows how to fill after repair and to check level. What is the procedure once I take the old pan off? Do I pre fill the pan before bolting? How much oil do I pump before starting the car and when do I start the car to check the oil temp and start following ZFs fill procedure in the PDF?

How do I know if my 2017 328xd LCI has transmission cooler?

Last edited by Hypermile; 01-16-2019 at 05:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #58
Sanelko
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jet Black 328i

Quote:
streeing rack seems to be holding up no issues. no knocking sounds.

yeah i would definitely check the OFHG. Never really had any leaks with this car other than the time i used STP filters from autozone. After that incident i stocked up on Mann filters haha.

no im going to take a it too a shop. yeah thats weird haha all my shops ive been too ive always brought my own parts. SSR performance down in OC helps me out ever since i got my bmw.
Be careful with that. A lot of those shops won't warranty their work because they weren't the ones that provided the parts. As long as they do that's a good route to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 10:40 PM   #59
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Be careful with the big bolt that holds the isolator on the rear diff. It's a steel bolt threaded into the aluminum diff cover. The isolator has to be removed to access the drain/fill plug. I cross threaded mine and had to spend an extra 45 minutes tapping the threads back out before the bolt would go back in. There's no drain plug unless you have the MP LSD so you have to suction the fluid out through the one plug.
Appreciate 0