F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Pls HELP. Carbon Monoxide Exhaust Fumes in car cabin
Studio RSR

12-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 MineralGray BMW 328xi

Pls HELP. Carbon Monoxide Exhaust Fumes in car cabin

Dangerous Exhaust Fumes entering my car.

I have a 2014, BMW 328xi with 47799 Miles in NY, NY, orig. warranty till 01/31/18 (a demo model)

Hi all.
A few month ago I noticed something weird in my BMW, which I bought in may 2017 from a Dealership in Great Neck, NY.
Sitting in my car, driving, I felt like I was being surrounded by fumes. The ones you usually only experience when you standing next to the exhaust pipe. It was weird. I thought, lets make a Service Appt and check it out. I drove to the BMW dealership of Manhattan where I made a service appointment in advance.
It only took them 2 days to tell me there is nothing wrong with my car. But I might just have allergies. Maybe pollen. For a min I thought, maybe they are right. But they weren’t.
The issue with strange fumes being in the car cabin while driving only got stronger (like someone is trying to choke you right there in your car). It just got more intense as time passed. So after I nearly passed out one day while driving (I nearly hand an accident because of it) I decided to go back to BMW of Manhattan. But again, they send me away saying nothing was wrong. So I bought a air quality test device to see for my self if Iam just making things up. But sure enough after calibrating the device in fresh air and then testing it out in my car, it went off and alarmed me of the unsafe environment Iam in. (And it does so every time when I turn it on in my car and drive for about 30min.)
You literally see how the quality of the air just goes down and the fumes rise.

So now BWW of North America orders my car back in (after I complained to them and said I almost passed out behind the wheel which almost caused an accident). BWM North America stepped in and ordered a special Inspector to look at my car. But they stressed me to bring in my own purchased air quality test device to test drive my vehicle with.
As both BMW of Manhattan and BMW of North America stated to me:
they do not have the equipment nor the knowledge to test any of their vehicles for fumes inside the cabin. I was shocked to hear that.

I asked: so what and how did you test my car with all the other times when I brought it in?
And They said: We looked at it!
And I asked: You did what?
And they: Looked at it.
I: seriously? Just looked at it? Not even ones went under it, or even took things apart like the Evaporator, Catalytic Converter ..or at least the changed the Cabin Filter?
They: No! We are not in the business of taking things apart. We wouldn’t even know what to do with it if we did. We only exchange things/parts If the car prompts us to exchange things/something.
And I(stunned): And if it doesn’t?
They: Then we don’t!
And I again: Does my car have an Air Quality/ Bad Fumes sensor?
They: NO!
I: Any BMW?
They (Guess what): No!

So anyway...When the special BMW inspector drove my car for 11 miles (only, and I tracked it), he came back and was done. I was not allowed to be present. But I was there anyway. In the dealership tracking my car. So I saw him come and go. Talking to folks bla bla bla, but working on my car? Nope. And That was the only test BMW conducted on my vehicle. A 11 miles ride.

After two weeks BMW finally came back with the official findings of the inspectors test ride. Guess What? Exactly! Nothing wrong with the car.
My Air Quality Test device rendered not consistent enough, and because I don’t have the original BMW windshield in my car, they determind by just guessing it’s probably because of that. I should replace the windshield and that should do it.
So I am thinking..seriously?!

1. You tell me no one at BMW has the knowledge when it comes to serious problems like exhaust fumes entering the car cabin. And There are not test devices at BMW’s disposable (gee just go on AMAZON. Anything from $200-$4000. Like i did) to test a customer’s vehicle for fumes like CO, NO2 and etc. But you honestly tell me you determined my AIR QUALITY TEST DEVICE (sensor for gas fumes) inconsistent? Funny. Because I thought BMW has no one who knows about this stuff. (And they still say they don’t)

2. So BMW honestly thought and still does, that driving for 11 miles will tell them everything about my car. Especially when I told them that the toxins issues I have with my car start around 30min in, and THEN just keeps getting worse.

3. It gets better: So this was supposed to be a special BMW Inspector. Coming in all the way to Manhattan from BMW HQ. looking at my car. I guess noticing that my car has an aftermarket windshield installed (HUD/RainSens) was the most scientific thing he actually did that day (11/13/17). They/He never tested the windshield if it was actually leaking air in or not. They just said they did. But I knew they were lying because I had Tape all around it to seal it off. From weeks before when I thought “mhh, maybe its the windshield”. Amd to test my thought I taped the windshield with duct tape. It never made a difference. And the tape was still on when they test drove my car. And yes, if you looked at it it looked weird and suspicious. But why did they not took it off and see if its really the windshield they were so sure about? Why saying “oh yeah we did test it. Its the windshield. You have to get it replaced. I cought BMW RED HANDED. How/ Why?:
After BMW presented me with their cost estimate for the repairs they said my car needed to fix the issue (labor $926 and the windshield itself $1245)
I searched for the Business that installed the after market windshield on my car back in may’17 when I got the car from the Great Neck Autodealer. (Not a BMW dealership). They remembered my car. They denied BMW allegations towards the windshield and their installment.

The Glass Guys said they do this every day. Multiple times. Its their business. They don’t seal windshields improperly. They would be out of business quick if they did. But even if it were glued bad, the windshield could never be the problem for an issue like Iam having.
There are other parts like the “Catalytic Converter” who could be more responsible for the car cabin exhaust fumes issue Iam facing (But As I mentioned, BMW won’t even try to go look into that. Thats not their business) ..I asked the glass business to look at my car/their (6 month old) windshield installment anyway.
Better safe than sorry, right.
They agreed and I drove (from Manhattan) to DeerPark, NY. A horrible drive. I felt soo sick during..U have no idea (on my way back, too).

But yeah.They tested my windshield for any leaks by conducting a foam/air pressure test. Nothing leaked. They resealed the windshield. Again, no leakage
into the car cabin. We documented it. They signed off on it with a report. No leakage. Glass ok.

So I contacted BMW Right away about what was found and done. I told them If I notice anything like fumes in the cabin or continue to have that strange sick-feeling-why is something chocking me- while driving back to Manhattan (2h/heavy traffic), I would have to bring the car back in. And sure enough I did. And I was turned away again..12/17/17 Case status still unknown.

MY QUESTION:
ANYBODY ELSE HAS THE SAME OR SIMILAR ISSUES WITH THEIR BMW and can share his or her story?

THX. And happy Holidays.
Best, Sid

Link to pictures and videos of the whole debacle:

www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0L5idkMwEXjFZ

Last edited by teamsidney; 12-20-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
x5mannn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5 4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsidney View Post

I have a 2014, BMW 328xi with 47799 Miles in NY, NY, orig. warranty till 01/31/18 (a demo model)

Hi all.
A few month ago I noticed something weird in my BMW, which I bought in may 2017 from a Dealership in Great Neck, NY.
Sitting in my car, driving, I felt like I was being surrounded by fumes. The ones you usually only experience when you standing next to the exhaust pipe. It was weird. I thought, lets make a Service Appt and check it out. I drove to the BMW dealership of Manhattan where I made a service appointment in advance.
It only took them 2 days to tell me there is nothing wrong with my car. But I might just have allergies. Maybe pollen. For a min I thought, maybe they are right. But they weren’t.
The issue with strange fumes being in the car cabin while driving only got stronger (like someone is trying to choke you right there in your car). It just got more intense as time passed. So after I nearly passed out one day while driving (I nearly hand an accident because of it) I decided to go back to BMW of Manhattan. But again, they send me away saying nothing was wrong. So I bought a air quality test device to see for my self if Iam just making things up. But sure enough after calibrating the device in fresh air and then testing it out in my car, it went off and alarmed me of the unsafe environment Iam in. (And it does so every time when I turn it on in my car and drive for about 30min.)

So now BWW of North America orders my car back in (after I complained to them and said I almost passed out behind the wheel which almost caused an accident). BWM North America stepped in and ordered a special Inspector to look at my car. But they stressed me to bring in my own purchased air quality test device to test drive my vehicle with.
they do not have the equipment nor the knowledge to test any of their vehicles for fumes inside the cabin. I was shocked to hear that.

I asked: so what and how did you test my car with all the other times when I brought it in?
I: seriously? Just looked at it? Not even ones went under it, or even took things apart like the Evaporator, Catalytic Converter ..or at least the changed the Cabin Filter?
They: No! We are not in the business of taking things apart. We wouldn’t even know what to do with it if we did. We only exchange things/parts If the car prompts us to exchange things/something.

So anyway...When the special BMW inspector drove my car for 11 miles (only, and I tracked it), he came back and was done. I was not allowed to be present. But I was there anyway. In the dealership tracking my car. So I saw him come and go. Talking to folks bla bla bla, but working on my car? Nope. And That was the only test BMW conducted on my vehicle. A 11 miles ride.

After two weeks BMW finally came back with the official findings of the inspectors test ride. Guess What? Exactly! Nothing wrong with the car.
My Air Quality Test device rendered not consistent enough, and because I don’t have the original BMW windshield in my car, they determind by just guessing it’s probably because of that. I should replace the windshield and that should do it.

1. You tell me no one at BMW has the knowledge when it comes to serious problems like exhaust fumes entering the car cabin. And There are not test devices at BMW’s disposable (gee just go on AMAZON. Anything from $200-$4000. Like i did) to test a customer’s vehicle for fumes like CO, NO2 and etc. But you honestly tell me you determined my AIR QUALITY TEST DEVICE (sensor for gas fumes) inconsistent? Funny. Because I thought BMW has no one who knows about this stuff. (And they still say they don’t)

2. So BMW honestly thought and still does, that driving for 11 miles will tell them everything about my car. Especially when I told them that the toxins issues I have with my car start around 30min in, and THEN just keeps getting worse.

3. It gets better: So this was supposed to be a special BMW Inspector. Coming in all the way to Manhattan from BMW HQ. looking at my car. I guess noticing that my car has an aftermarket windshield installed (HUD/RainSens) was the most scientific thing he actually did that day (11/13/17). They/He never tested the windshield if it was actually leaking air in or not. They just said they did. But I knew they were lying because I had Tape all around it to seal it off. From weeks before when I thought “mhh, maybe its the windshield”. Amd to test my thought I taped the windshield with duct tape. It never made a difference. And the tape was still on when they test drove my car. And yes, if you looked at it it looked weird and suspicious. But why did they not took it off and see if its really the windshield they were so sure about? Why saying “oh yeah we did test it. Its the windshield. You have to get it replaced. I cought BMW RED HANDED. How/ Why?:
After BMW presented me with their cost estimate for the repairs they said my car needed to fix the issue (labor $926 and the windshield itself $1245)
I searched for the Business that installed the after market windshield on my car back in may’17 when I got the car from the Great Neck Autodealer. (Not a BMW dealership). They remembered my car. They denied BMW allegations towards the windshield and their installment.

The Glass Guys said they do this every day. Multiple times. Its their business. They don’t seal windshields improperly. They would be out of business quick if they did. But even if it were glued bad, the windshield could never be the problem for an issue like Iam having.
There are other parts like the “Catalytic Converter” who could be more responsible for the car cabin exhaust fumes issue Iam facing (But As I mentioned, BMW won’t even try to go look into that. Thats not their business) ..I asked the glass business to look at my car/their (6 month old) windshield installment anyway.
They agreed and I drove (from Manhattan) to DeerPark, NY. A horrible drive. I felt soo sick during..U have no idea (on my way back, too).

But yeah.They tested my windshield for any leaks by conducting a foam/air pressure test. Nothing leaked. They resealed the windshield. Again, no leakage
into the car cabin. We documented it. They signed off on it with a report. No leakage. Glass ok.

So I contacted BMW Right away about what was found and done. I told them If I notice anything like fumes in the cabin or continue to have that strange sick-feeling-why is something chocking me- while driving back to Manhattan (2h/heavy traffic), I would have to bring the car back in. And sure enough I did. And I was turned away again..12/17/17 Case status still unknown.

MY QUESTION:
ANYBODY ELSE HAS THE SAME OR SIMILAR ISSUES WITH THEIR BMW and can share his or her story?

THX. And happy Holidays.
Best, Sid
Are you sure it is exhaust fumes? I got rid of a brand new Toyota I leased because I got headaches and sore throats all the time.
I thought at the time it was the fake Toyota leather
Even others noticed an odor, to me it was a rubbery plastic smell
Now I have a bmw with Dakota leather
Is yours leather or sensatech?
Btw CO does not smell,
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mannn View Post
Are you sure it is exhaust fumes? I got rid of a brand new Toyota I leased because I got headaches and sore throats all the time.
I thought at the time it was the fake Toyota leather
Even others noticed an odor, to me it was a rubbery plastic smell
Now I have a bmw with Dakota leather
Is yours leather or sensatech?
Btw CO does not smell,
Hi. Yes my issues are not noticeable smell related. The CO and NO2 don’t have a smell. They are odorless. Unfortunately. The stuff only is in the air when Ventilation system is on and car drove for 30min or so. Cause thats when I start having issues as described earlier. And thats when my Air Sensor Device starts to alarm me about the deterioration of the air.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

First of all, have you tried to have a friend sit in your car and see if they can smell anything?

Don’t tell them about the fumes... just after 30 minutes drive, casually mention “do you smel anything weird?” and see what their response is.

Second, from my personal experience, windshield sealent has a very strong odor. It can last for days and linger in your car a few days after that. It is possible that you are sensitive to that sealent.

3rd, if you’re still worried, take it to an independent muffler shop and have the exhaust track inspected for leaks.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

You don't say exactly what device you tested with. If it's measuring what's in the outside air you have no case. Get a carbon monoxide detector and a camera. Leave the detector in the car, if the alarm goes off take a picture of it in the car showing the read out. Take that to the local office of the CPSC.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocomppro View Post
First of all, have you tried to have a friend sit in your car and see if they can smell anything?

Don’t tell them about the fumes... just after 30 minutes drive, casually mention “do you smel anything weird?” and see what their response is.

Second, from my personal experience, windshield sealent has a very strong odor. It can last for days and longer in your car a few days after that. It is possible that you are sensitive to that sealent.

3rd, if you’re still worried, take it to an independent muffler shop and have the exhaust track inspected for leaks.

Good luck!
Hi Turbo. Yes I did test it on my friends. Co workers actually. I car pool to set every now and then. Again, there is no smell. But there is something in the air that gives me these weird physical issues. My passengers notice everything from running nose, red eyes, lack of air and weird small body spasms. But I stopped carpooling or having anyone else with me in the car. Its too dangerous and also a liability. I don’t even drive the car anymore. Only the few times I had to bring it into BMW or the windshield place. Every time being in that car for more than 30min...I cant. And it’s probably already will have long term health complications from being exposed to the toxins that BMW so heavenly tries to deny.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You don't say exactly what device you tested with. If it's measuring what's in the outside air you have no case. Get a carbon monoxide detector and a camera. Leave the detector in the car, if the alarm goes off take a picture of it in the car showing the read out. Take that to the local office of the CPSC.
Hi. I did that. Yes its a device for that. I did take a picture and video. Multiple times. And send it over to BMW North America. But they claim my device is no good. Im just too sensitive to something. But on the other hand they say they have no such devices of their own and also no knowledge what they are or how to use them. As they are not in the business to know that.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

As said, it’s likely not an exhaust issue since you could actually smell it. It’s probably the sealent used for the windshield. If it’s been more then a month, try cleaning the car. Shampoo the removable carpets and make sure every nook and cranny is clean on the inside. See if that helps.

Edit: also, are the removable carpets original? Some cheap aftermarket carpets also will emit chemical fumes if it’s the really cheap Made in China kind.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:52 PM   #9
wilbur_the_goose
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 330ix Gran Turismo

Try this - buy a CO detector at Target and put it in your car. If it alerts, you know you have a CO problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

honestly, I'd just get rid of the car if it made me feel that way. I wouldn't care if I had to take a loss, I'd trade it on something else.
      12-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Update 12/20/17
I just got of the phone with Mr. Petteway (Special Product Investigation Consultant Costomer Relations & Setvices) from BMW North America.

He said (and I have him on record. Literally) that their investigator determind because I left the tape around the windshield that it is the windshield causing the issue. And that he heard wind noises driving the vehicle. He recommended to replace the windshield. But...

..When I came to pick up the car that day after the inspector concluded his test, I asked if the windshield was tested for leakage. I was told yes. It needs to be replaced. I asked what about just resealing it. And I was told that that is an option. And thats why I inquired about the cost when done at BMW. But they priced it way to high in my opinion and I contacted they company who installed this aftermarket windshield back in May’17. And they went for the windshield, found out that BMW never could have tested the windshield without not first removing the tape around it. So an air pressure leaking test was conducted to see if its even necessary to replace the windshield. Negative. No leakages. No need to replace it. Also, Glue in perfect condition. No need to replace the fully intact windshield. (Have it on video). The business gave me a report and done.

So now BMW is saying , because they have not done it, its no good from a third party. And the windshield was not replaced as advised.

So I asked: ok, so what if I bring it in to a BMW dealer and have the windshield checked for any air leaks. And then if I BMW dealer (BMW of Manhattan doesn’t even wanna touch my car anymore) determines there are no leaks, would the windshield still need to be replaced? And he said yes. Reason why, BMW doesn’t take anything from a 3rd party. “But its no 3rd party Sir” I said. Its BMW. Still, he said. He only believes his special inspector. When he says the windshield leaks, it leaks. And I asked again: Why Does BMW want me to pay for a full BMW certified windshield replacement of $$$$$$ when BMW could do an air leakage test before to figure out if its even necessary to replace the windshield. His Answer: it needs to be replaced. Thats what my inspector said.
And will I be reimbursed for the costs if exhaust fumes still enter the car cabin after BMW put in a new windshield? He said “NO”

http://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0L5idkMwEXjFZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsidney View Post

Hi all.

MY QUESTION:

THX. And happy Holidays.
Best, Sid

Last edited by teamsidney; 12-20-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:02 PM   #12
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
honestly, I'd just get rid of the car if it made me feel that way. I wouldn't care if I had to take a loss, I'd trade it on something else.
I wish I could. But I financed it through Santander Consumer Bank. $26000 open.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #13
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Try this - buy a CO detector at Target and put it in your car. If it alerts, you know you have a CO problem.
I know. I do. I even had the device back at BMW of Manhattan when it went off and the foreman said “yeah we have them here to on a larger scale for the air quality on the garage floor”. And I said, oh than u know what they are for. He acknowledged. And then he went on to say I should educate him on them though because he does not know how the actually work. And since I bought a CO detector myself, I am probably more in the know about these things then he or his staff is.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #14
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

teamsidney - Be honest, are you a hypochondriac? The power of suggestion is a very powerful thing to the human body.

More importantly, what exactly is the sample device you're using?

I do environmental work including worker/industrial hygiene sampling. In a car, the three things you might get exposed to above safe thresholds would be carbon monoxide (CO; odorless), volatile organic compounds (VOCs; typically a "chemical" like smell), and possibly mold (musty smell).

Elevated CO would come from an exhaust leak into the interior of the car. It takes a pretty serious leak get into a car. I have a very hard time seeing this being the issue because an exhaust leak is pretty apparent due to the increase in exhaust volume and there's typically an exhaust odor. I've tested my personal cars and have never seen CO exceed 5 ppm and most of the time it's 0 ppm. For most people, prolonged exposure to a CO level of 100 ppm starts causing symptoms like fatigue, headaches, and nausea.

VOCs are usually what make people sick in cars and VOCs usually give off a moderate to strong odor. Elevated VOC concentrations can be released from carpet, plastic, rubber, leather coatings, adhesives, fuel, etc. especially when a car is new (i.e., that "new car" smell). For most VOCs, most people don't start having exposures symptoms unless they actually can smell the VOC. Depending on the VOC, the exposure risk can be as low as 1 or 2 ppm but for most VOCs encountered in a car, it's generally 5 ppm or higher. I've tested a lot cars over the years including my own M235 and the VOCs are generally 0 to 1 ppm. Put your nose up to a Sharpie felt ink pen and that will give you a sense of around 20 ppm and that's a strong chemical odor. I can't see how the VOCs in windshield glass adhesive would be detectable in a car after one day. The VOCs in the adhesive are designed to dissipate very quickly.

Mold in a car is pretty obvious right from the start. The car will smell musty, especially with the HVAC is cycled on.

The fact that you and your occupants are getting severe symptoms so quickly is rather puzzling. That would indicate to me that something is dangerously elevated in the car. But you're saying that you smell nothing and the car drives normally. It doesn't make sense. I was thinking perhaps the pressure vent in the trunk may be clogged but if it was, the pressure in the cabin would such that it would be very difficult to close the doors and the HVAC fans would be severely compromised when the windows are up. However, you haven't noted anything wrong with HVAC.
      12-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #15
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As said, it’s likely not an exhaust issue since you could actually smell it. It’s probably the sealent used for the windshield. If it’s been more then a month, try cleaning the car. Shampoo the removable carpets and make sure every nook and cranny is clean on the inside. See if that helps.

Edit: also, are the removable carpets original? Some cheap aftermarket carpets also will emit chemical fumes if it’s the really cheap Made in China kind.
Hi. Sorry but I guess u misread my very long initially thread/post (sorry for it’s length). I never mentioned smells. I only referred to fumes. Thats what I call them. But I don’t mean smells when I refer to fumes. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My issue with the car comes from odorless fumes.
Best, Sid
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #16
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Hey. Hi. Yes its all original. Everything is BMW
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:18 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

If you don't smell anything, then it's possibly CO. You can use a battery powered house CO detector to find out the ppm. They're $30 or so.

The other possibly could be some weird type of mold. You can by test kits for this as well; however, the types of molds that grow in cars almost always have a moldy odor.
      12-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

First, exhaust fumes won't enter the car through the windshield frame. Besides, if was leaking air it would be leaking water too, and you'd be complaining about wet carpets.

Second, if you have proof of a CO build up in the car quit screwing around with the dealer and BMW. Take it to the appropriate regulatory agencies and the news media.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
teamsidney - Be honest, are you a hypochondriac? The power of suggestion is a very powerful thing to the human body.

More importantly, what exactly is the sample device you're using?

I do environmental work including worker/industrial hygiene sampling. In a car, the three things you might get exposed to above safe thresholds would be carbon monoxide (CO; odorless), volatile organic compounds (VOCs; typically a "chemical" like smell), and possibly mold (musty smell).

Elevated CO would come from an exhaust leak into the interior of the car. It takes a pretty serious leak get into a car. I have a very hard time seeing this being the issue because an exhaust leak is pretty apparent due to the increase in exhaust volume and there's typically an exhaust odor. I've tested my personal cars and have never seen CO exceed 5 ppm and most of the time it's 0 ppm. For most people, prolonged exposure to a CO level of 100 ppm starts causing symptoms like fatigue, headaches, and nausea.

VOCs are usually what make people sick in cars and VOCs usually give off a moderate to strong odor. Elevated VOC concentrations can be released from carpet, plastic, rubber, leather coatings, adhesives, fuel, etc. especially when a car is new (i.e., that "new car" smell). For most VOCs, most people don't start having exposures symptoms unless they actually can smell the VOC. Depending on the VOC, the exposure risk can be as low as 1 or 2 ppm but for most VOCs encountered in a car, it's generally 5 ppm or higher. I've tested a lot cars over the years including my own M235 and the VOCs are generally 0 to 1 ppm. Put your nose up to a Sharpie felt ink pen and that will give you a sense of around 20 ppm and that's a strong chemical odor. I can't see how the VOCs in windshield glass adhesive would be detectable in a car after one day. The VOCs in the adhesive are designed to dissipate very quickly.

Mold in a car is pretty obvious right from the start. The car will smell musty, especially with the HVAC is cycled on.

The fact that you and your occupants are getting severe symptoms so quickly is rather puzzling. That would indicate to me that something is dangerously elevated in the car. But you're saying that you smell nothing and the car drives normally. It doesn't make sense. I was thinking perhaps the pressure vent in the trunk may be clogged but if it was, the pressure in the cabin would such that it would be very difficult to close the doors and the HVAC fans would be severely compromised when the windows are up. However, you haven't noted anything wrong with HVAC.
Hi. If I only could figure out how to post pictures on here... i could Show u. But every time i try to upload a pic from my phone to my posts this system rejects them.

Update: i did figure it out:
Here: http://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0L5idkMwEXjFZ

Last edited by teamsidney; 12-20-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
First, exhaust fumes won't enter the car through the windshield frame. Besides, if was leaking air it would be leaking water too, and you'd be complaining about wet carpets.

Second, if you have proof of a CO build up in the car quit screwing around with the dealer and BMW. Take it to the appropriate regulatory agencies and the news media.
Interesting thx for ur input man
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #21
teamsidney
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
If you don't smell anything, then it's possibly CO. You can use a battery powered house CO detector to find out the ppm. They're $30 or so.

The other possibly could be some weird type of mold. You can by test kits for this as well; however, the types of molds that grow in cars almost always have a moldy odor.
Hi. Yes In my first visits to BMW of Manhattan I did asked them if they did checked for mold and etc. they said no. I asked why. The said thats not their business objective. They only exchange parts if the car prompts them to. Then I asked them if they at least changed the cabin filter, just to be sure. They said no they didn’t. Why I asked. They: because it looks surprisingly better than most filters they see every day. WTF, right
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 02:30 PM   #22
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Just a shot in the dark, but maybe the HVAC is stuck in recirculate and the cabin isn't getting any fresh air - there is an "auto" setting for this so there must be a sensor and that sensor might be keeping recirc on?
Appreciate 0