F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anti-theft advise?
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #1
gippy
Enlisted Member
27
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: Aug. 2016 440i Coupe F32
Join Date: May 2018
Location: UK, Leicester

iTrader: (0)

Anti-theft advise?

just wondering if anyone else use such devices like trackers or coding immobilisation or whatnot?

i dont have comfort access so not sure if i need to be worried or not about my car being nicked... (or as much as say, owners who Do have keyless).

don't think the 440i is desirable enough to want to be nicked anyway, but in any case, can people 'hack' into the car?
or is this only a concern for keyless entry folk?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
TodmordenLad
Colonel
TodmordenLad's Avatar
United Kingdom
1037
Rep
2,136
Posts

Drives: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK
Join Date: May 2015
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Never heard of non keyless entry cars being hacked but maybe I've missed it?
I use a Disklok all the time and have gap insurance - that's the extent of my precautions. Has worked for many years now, touch wood
__________________
Current: 440i GC LCI with MPPSK. Previously owned: F31 330D M Sport+ with MPPK, F11 530D SE, F11 520D SE, E61 530D M Sport, E36 325i plus a host of MB's, Audis & Volvos too numerous to mention
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Lincoln61
Private First Class
Lincoln61's Avatar
United Kingdom
135
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2018 430d Msport+
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Vehicle Replacement GAP insurance

I have comfort access, but am told things are more secure now (not sure if thats the case?) At the end of the day if some scrote is determined to take the car, chances are they will. All I can do is make sure I get a replacement.
__________________
Current - 2018 F32 430d M Sport+
Previous - 2013 F30 320d M Sport
Previous - 2008 E92 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Ss66
Captain
316
Rep
850
Posts

Drives: F32 440i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Warwickshire

iTrader: (0)

Gap and disklok here.
__________________
2014 f330d
2015 f335d
2016 f32 440i tanzanite/white merino
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #5
Hooded
Sexy Beast
Hooded's Avatar
England
753
Rep
2,165
Posts

Drives: F30 330d M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: England

iTrader: (0)

Gap and disklok at least, along with decent locks on your home.

Add to that Autowatch ghost if you wanna make it even harder for thieves.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
rjcno55
Registered
2
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: F31
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: West yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Steering lock and tracker here. Cctv at home as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
335d Touring Xdrive's Avatar
United Kingdom
213
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2016 335d Touring
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

It's not advisable to advertise on a public forum what security you have on your car or home.
Don't be fooled in to thinking a 440 isn't a desirable car to be stolen. Any BMW is a desirable car when these thieves are selling your car on for just a fraction of the cost of it to his cousin in the next town.
Disc lock is a good visual deterrent imo.
Faraday pouch for your remote keys is a must too.
Don't bother with tracker if you have gap insurance. Would you want your old car back if the other option is to get a brand new one that hasn't been thrashed around by the thief?
Prevention is better than a cure, so fit a Ghost immobiliser if you don;'t want your car to be stolen in the first place by means of key theft or obc theft, or even signal snatching.
I would also highly recommend putting your car in a garage and out of sight if at home at all times. So many cars get stolen off the drive these days, it's untrue.
If you have a driveway but no garage, get one of those driveway intruder alarms so you know as soon as someone has come onto your property.
They really are a good idea,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1BYONE-WI...PIoA:rk:5:pf:1
Appreciate 2
gippy26.50

      01-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #8
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
1467
Rep
3,387
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
It's not advisable to advertise on a public forum what security you have on your car or home.
Don't be fooled in to thinking a 440 isn't a desirable car to be stolen. Any BMW is a desirable car when these thieves are selling your car on for just a fraction of the cost of it to his cousin in the next town.
Disc lock is a good visual deterrent imo.
Faraday pouch for your remote keys is a must too.
Don't bother with tracker if you have gap insurance. Would you want your old car back if the other option is to get a brand new one that hasn't been thrashed around by the thief?
Prevention is better than a cure, so fit a Ghost immobiliser if you don;'t want your car to be stolen in the first place by means of key theft or obc theft, or even signal snatching.
I would also highly recommend putting your car in a garage and out of sight if at home at all times. So many cars get stolen off the drive these days, it's untrue.
If you have a driveway but no garage, get one of those driveway intruder alarms so you know as soon as someone has come onto your property.
They really are a good idea,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1BYONE-WI...PIoA:rk:5:pf:1
Goodness, that all sounds like a lot of trouble. I feel a little careless. I lock my car, make sure the keys aren't out on view in the house, and that's about it.

Oh, and the Faraday pouch isn't a must for the OP, it's pointless. He doesn't have keyless entry. Only keyless entry keys are permanently transmitting and can be read.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
speedski
Lieutenant
speedski's Avatar
155
Rep
490
Posts

Drives: F36 LCI AW 420Dx
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
but am told things are more secure now (not sure if thats the case?)
They are if you buy the new keys...the BMW ones that sleep
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
335d Touring Xdrive's Avatar
United Kingdom
213
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2016 335d Touring
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Goodness, that all sounds like a lot of trouble.

Oh, and the Faraday pouch isn't a must for the OP, it's pointless. He doesn't have keyless entry. Only keyless entry keys are permanently transmitting and can be read.
Not really a lot of trouble if you care about how hard you have had to work to actually own a car. But a whole lot of trouble trying to sort it out if your car gets stolen, then being treated like a criminal by your insurance company when explaining how your car was stolen.

The faraday pouch may well not be much use to the op, but one would be useful to many other owners that read this topic. I have just watched a Merc GL being stolen in a matter of seconds by keyless theft, a faraday pouch would have prevented this. For just 6.00, i think it is worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #11
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
1467
Rep
3,387
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
Not really a lot of trouble if you care about how hard you have had to work to actually own a car. But a whole lot of trouble trying to sort it out if your car gets stolen, then being treated like a criminal by your insurance company when explaining how your car was stolen.

The faraday pouch may well not be much use to the op, but one would be useful to many other owners that read this topic. I have just watched a Merc GL being stolen in a matter of seconds by keyless theft, a faraday pouch would have prevented this. For just 6.00, i think it is worthwhile.
I don't disagree, but your post was addressed to the OP. Didn't want him to waste money or the effort putting his key in it every day when it wouldn't be doing anything.

It'd be a lot of effort for me, I'd have to build a garage.....
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #12
thescouselander
Private First Class
45
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 4 Series Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've got a Faraday pouch. I didn't spec comfort access on my car due to security concerns but it does have key-less start (as standard) so there's still some risk there albeit a potential thief would need to break into the car first before stealing it - that's not beyond the realms of possibility though.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
1467
Rep
3,387
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
I've got a Faraday pouch. I didn't spec comfort access on my car due to security concerns but it does have key-less start (as standard) so there's still some risk there albeit a potential thief would need to break into the car first before stealing it - that's not beyond the realms of possibility though.
I might be missing something here. How does a thief get the signal from your key before he breaks in if it's not comfort access? The Faraday pouch seems pointless in your case, unless I'm misunderstanding how the keys work. One of us is.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #14
A13x
Private First Class
10
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ..

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I might be missing something here. How does a thief get the signal from your key before he breaks in if it's not comfort access? The Faraday pouch seems pointless in your case, unless I'm misunderstanding how the keys work. One of us is.
when I picked up my car only one set of keys worked, the bmw sales guy said it just needs another coding and did it just as the car door was locked. I assume they do something similar when you lock your car
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #15
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
335d Touring Xdrive's Avatar
United Kingdom
213
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 2016 335d Touring
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I might be missing something here. How does a thief get the signal from your key before he breaks in if it's not comfort access? The Faraday pouch seems pointless in your case, unless I'm misunderstanding how the keys work. One of us is.
If they break in to your car,, and gain access to the cars obc, they usualy have a device that plugs in to it, then they reprogramme another key which takes seconds.
The position of the obc was in a place where they could access it without ypu car alarm going off once they had broken your drivers side window. I am not sure this is still the case with newer cars. Some people have the obc moved or disabled or relocated.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #16
thescouselander
Private First Class
45
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 4 Series Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
I might be missing something here. How does a thief get the signal from your key before he breaks in if it's not comfort access? The Faraday pouch seems pointless in your case, unless I'm misunderstanding how the keys work. One of us is.
Its just a case of gaining access to the car using more traditional methods and then using the usual relay trick to activate the key-less start. I was wondering if the immobiliser would stay active if the car hasn't been unlocked with the key but I've not been able to confirm this yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #17
Lincoln61
Private First Class
Lincoln61's Avatar
United Kingdom
135
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2018 430d Msport+
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
They are if you buy the new keys...the BMW ones that sleep
So does a 2018 car have this type of key?
__________________
Current - 2018 F32 430d M Sport+
Previous - 2013 F30 320d M Sport
Previous - 2008 E92 320d SE
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #18
Goneinsixtyseconds
Brigadier General
Goneinsixtyseconds's Avatar
United Kingdom
1467
Rep
3,387
Posts

Drives: 440i GC
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Chesterfield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
Its just a case of gaining access to the car using more traditional methods and then using the usual relay trick to activate the key-less start. I was wondering if the immobiliser would stay active if the car hasn't been unlocked with the key but I've not been able to confirm this yet.
I may be being stupid, which there's a good chance, but I still don't see what a Faraday case does for you?

A comfort access key normally transmits all the time, so someone outside your front door can potentially read the signal and steal your car.

A normal key only transmits when you press the button, zero risk of being read at any other time. So, as far as I can see, a Faraday case does nothing at all for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #19
SO8
Captain
25
Rep
758
Posts

Drives: Mercedes AMG A45 Facelift
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Get a Disklok or a Stoplock Pro/Elite for the steering wheel and maybe an immobiliser as well such as Pandora Immo which works of a driver tag so all you have to do is have it with you to deactivate the immobiliser as opposed to tap in a code like the Autowatch Ghost requires.

If you want an alarm with it and which immobilises the OBD port too then get a Pandora Mini BT. Both the Immo and Mini BT are excellent and a great alternative to the Ghost. The driver tag is not much bigger of thicker than an SD card - a great bit of kit !
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #20
YuminNuman
First Lieutenant
YuminNuman's Avatar
United_States
177
Rep
358
Posts

Drives: '17 340ix 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

In prior cars I've wired a hidden kill switch to the fuel pump. Doesn't get much better than that. I'd tell you where I hid the switch but I'd have to kill you.
Appreciate 3
SO824.50
F30Andy878.50

      01-12-2019, 11:41 AM   #21
thescouselander
Private First Class
45
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 4 Series Gran Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
Its just a case of gaining access to the car using more traditional methods and then using the usual relay trick to activate the key-less start. I was wondering if the immobiliser would stay active if the car hasn't been unlocked with the key but I've not been able to confirm this yet.
I may be being stupid, which there's a good chance, but I still don't see what a Faraday case does for you?

A comfort access key normally transmits all the time, so someone outside your front door can potentially read the signal and steal your car.

A normal key only transmits when you press the button, zero risk of being read at any other time. So, as far as I can see, a Faraday case does nothing at all for you.

The normal key transmits in the same way as the comfort access key - that's how the keyless start works.


It's actually keyless start that's is the issue. It's not such a big deal that a theif can open the doors - the real problem is that they can start the engine with a relay attack. In terms of key less start both the comfort access key and normal key are exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #22
sensible
Captain
sensible's Avatar
366
Rep
957
Posts

Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: West Midlands UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescouselander View Post
The normal key transmits in the same way as the comfort access key - that's how the keyless start works.


It's actually keyless start that's is the issue. It's not such a big deal that a theif can open the doors - the real problem is that they can start the engine with a relay attack. In terms of key less start both the comfort access key and normal key are exactly the same.
I don't think that is true. Isn't it the car that looks for the key in order to start. The key isn't constantly transmitting and therefore isn't at risk through relay theft.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST