F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 328i ran with Low Oil Light 2k miles later its okay?
Studio RSR

01-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
EddieMorra
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

328i ran with Low Oil Light 2k miles later its okay?

Hey guys I am looking to get some advice on whether I should keep or sell my car. I have a 2015 328i with 43k miles on the odo. I changed my own oil at 41k because I am a second owner and the free maintenance didn't transfer. My dumbass stripped the drain plug and didn't realize it. Two days later the low oil light comes on, I drive for about 4 miles until I pull over and have it towed to the dealer. They told me they drained only half a quart out and the engine is "shot" and not covered under warranty. Quoted 15k to replace. So I come pick up the car and it runs fine, sounds fine, I don't hear any knocking, although they claim they heard it knock.

I drive it off the lot and 2k miles later here we are the car is still fine. I haven't babied it the whole time either it's definitely had some hard pulls and 100+ MPH runs. I am however worried that this is a ticking timebomb and the engine could fail any month now even though it isn't making any weird noises or acting strange. The warranty is also going to be up soon. I asked BMW if they would explain exactly why the engine was 'shot' and they said well that would cost about $1k to open up the engine to look at the camshaft and everything I think.

So essentially do you guys think it's worth it to keep the car and should I have a 3rd party do an inspection for less? I'm really leaning towards selling it as I don't want it to fail and then I'm just out all that money, it's hard though as I love the car, I've done a lot of mods and it will be paid off in less than a year.

TLDR: Car ran with low oil (1qt-0.5qt) for about 4 miles, dealer says it's shot but I've driven it with no issues for about 2k miles now. Sell the car or risk it and keep it?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
Beek
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Most folks crazy.

Personally I’d drop that car like a hot rock. May the car God’s have mercy on the next owner.
      01-13-2019, 02:46 PM   #3
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

I would hate to trade it for someone else to have to deal with a failed engine, but if that's what you have to do, do it and do it fast. I would've probably traded it the day the dealer told me the engine was shot before any issues arise.
      01-13-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Change the oil again without doing any damage and have a Blackstone analysis done to check the condition of things. Just so you know, a new Steve Dinan forged N20 built for racing is only 10k.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52695.50
      01-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The suggestion that engine is "shot" with a suggested $1K diagnostic fee doesn't strengthen one's confidence in the dealer, unless the dealer can explain how the knocking sound has been detected. Did the technician use mechanic's stethoscope? At the very least, you are owed a clear explanation.

Still - disposing of this 4 wheeled asset would be prudent.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

What do they consider "shot"? Low compression? Bearing material in the oil? Knocking? Piston slap?

You need oil for lubrication, so if it's cylinder wear, it will show up in a compression test. If it's knocking then rod bearings are done.

The easiest check would be to send your oil to a place that does oil analysis, and get your cylinders scoped with some pictures. That will paint a decent picture of where the engine truly stands.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #7
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

It doesn't sound like the dealer really did any real tests to prove that the engine was actually shot. If it worries you that much, forget about trying to see if they were right and just ditch the car ASAP. If you want to really get to the bottom of it, go to a good indy that will perform a compression test and send your oil out to Blackstone.
      01-13-2019, 05:02 PM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMorra View Post
Car ran with low oil (1qt-0.5qt) for about 4 miles
You probably had a lot more oil than that in it before you stopped. The warning light would have come on with at least 3 quarts of oil still in the pan. I doubt the oil stopped leaking while the car was towed to the dealer, or when waiting for the tow truck, explaining why he only found a quart. If you had done any damage chances are you'd know about it by now, if only by the engine making a lot more noise than it used to. The components that could have been damaged won't silently continue to deteriorate, they'll make a racket.
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301997.00
Wires1636.50
      01-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #9
EddieMorra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Change the oil again without doing any damage and have a Blackstone analysis done to check the condition of things. Just so you know, a new Steve Dinan forged N20 built for racing is only 10k.
That's a good idea, the only problem is the drain plug was stripped that's why it was leaking. The dealearship said they used a slightly bigger plug to close it up again. I have researched online and saw other BMW owners fixed their stripped drain plug with a 'time-sert'. Which is essentially putting a new plug in, instead of spending 2k on a new oil pan and labor.

So yeah analysis that's a good option if I decide to keep it I imagine that's a lot cheaper than opening up the engine to inspect it. Luckily there were no metal shavings in the oil they drained out, but that doesn't mean engine damage didn't occur.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 03:15 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Two days later the low oil light comes on, I drive for about 4 miles until I pull over and have it towed to the dealer. They told me they drained only half a quart out and the engine is "shot" and not covered under warranty. Quoted 15k to replace. So I come pick up the car and it runs fine, sounds fine, I don't hear any knocking, although they claim they heard it knock.

TLDR: Car ran with low oil (1qt-0.5qt) for about 4 miles, dealer says it's shot but I've driven it with no issues for about 2k miles now. Sell the car or risk it and keep it?
Don't follow this at all, unless the oil sump plug completely fell out. If they drained 0.5 - 1qt of oil out, doesn't appear so.

Oil light comes on. Was there a 'low oil' message ahead of this? Oil Level Sensor should have picked up an oil level issue, once the oil was beyond a quart low, (1litre in Europe).

If you simply had a leaking sump plug, there should have still been plenty of oil in the engine when you stopped. Did the rest leak out during recovery? Standing at the garage?

I'm not convinced you were so low as 1qt of oil when you stopped.

I'd change the oil, as others have said, get oil analysed, plus pull the filter and closely examine.

Last edited by HighlandPete; 01-14-2019 at 03:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301997.00
      01-14-2019, 03:16 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
You probably had a lot more oil than that in it before you stopped. The warning light would have come on with at least 3 quarts of oil still in the pan. I doubt the oil stopped leaking while the car was towed to the dealer, or when waiting for the tow truck, explaining why he only found a quart. If you had done any damage chances are you'd know about it by now, if only by the engine making a lot more noise than it used to. The components that could have been damaged won't silently continue to deteriorate, they'll make a racket.
I agree, it is not all adding up.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Don't follow this at all, unless the oil sump plug completely fell out. If they drained 0.5 - 1qt of oil out, doesn't appear so.

Oil light comes on. Was there a 'low oil' message ahead of this? Oil Level Sensor should have picked up an oil level issue, once the oil was beyond a quart low, (1litre in Europe).

If you simply had a leaking sump plug, there should have still been plenty of oil in the engine when you stopped. Did the rest leak out during recovery? Standing at the garage?

I'm not convinced you were so low as 1qt of oil when you stopped.

I'd change the oil, as others have said, get oil analysed, plus pull the filter and closely examine.
+1. Unless all the oil leaked out between you stopping the car and the dealer draining the oil, no way they only drained 1qt, and if that is what happened, you're fine, because that means the car wasn't driven with that drastically low oil level. If the car was running on 1qt for any amount of time it would've been going crazy with warnings and the engine would not have been running happily.
      01-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I would be surprised if the engine didn't shut itself down if the oil temperature got high enough.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301997.00
      01-14-2019, 07:55 AM   #14
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Quote:
I think that this explanation makes the most sense. Surely there was a block of time between shutting the engine down and when the dealer drained the oil, during which it continued to leak. I'd be willing to bet that while the engine was running there was at least enough oil in the sump for the pump to continue to operate.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #15
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Perhaps the OP could add a bit more detail.

Did the sump plug come out while driving, or simply oil leaking out?

Were there any oil level warnings? Check Control warnings?

If it was simply a low oil warning light, the following should apply. From an F30 Owners' Manual.

Quote:
When the indicator lights up in the instrument cluster, add 1 US quart/liter of engine oil within the next 125 miles/200 km.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Agree with others, the dealer’s explanation sounds way too fishy. Your low oil warning would’ve come on much sooner than 0.5 qt remaining. And yet your dealer didn’t diagnose a faulty oil level sensor - and surely you used the sensor right after your oil change to verify the oil level?

And then how can they tell you the engine is “shot” and recommend a 15k replacement but then demand 1k to explain why that repair is needed? Surely those two things are in the wrong order.

Anyway, your plan to drive for a while then do an oil analysis is solid. Figure out your next step once you get the analysis back. And get a new dealer.
Appreciate 1
rjd_F301997.00
      01-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #17
EddieMorra
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps the OP could add a bit more detail.

Did the sump plug come out while driving, or simply oil leaking out?

Were there any oil level warnings? Check Control warnings?

If it was simply a low oil warning light, the following should apply. From an F30 Owners' Manual.

Quote:
When the indicator lights up in the instrument cluster, add 1 US quart/liter of engine oil within the next 125 miles/200 km.
The plug was screwed in too tight and the threads damaged it never fell out. The oil was leaking through that over the course of 2 days until the Red low oil pressure light came on when I was on the highway.

I think it's very possible that it continued to leak a while at the dealer, I'm sure they didn't look at it immediately, I was in that loaner for about 1.5weeks.

It is very frustrating, they told me they were putting in a PUMA (warranty) case thru to BMWNA at first, but then they said they didn't send it through. Because they found an aftermarket oil filter and a stripped drain plug. I believe at this point they came up with the 15k quote and set it aside. It's frustrating hearing your engine is "shot" with no explanation or reason. And it's run fine for 2k miles now. But I digress. Attached is the picture they sent of the plug you can see.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #18
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

They're hosing you. Your last trip there should remain your last trip there.
Your oil pan is plastic, as is the plug, which is meant for one time use only. The correct filter comes with a new plug. If the filter you bought didn't come with a plug and you used the old plug that was probably the source of the leak.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:46 PM   #19
flyguy27
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328I Sportline

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Wow. What did you use to tighten that? A breaker bar? I don’t think anything is wrong with your engine especially since you didn’t experience any drivability problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #20
EddieMorra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
They're hosing you. Your last trip there should remain your last trip there.
Your oil pan is plastic, as is the plug, which is meant for one time use only. The correct filter comes with a new plug. If the filter you bought didn't come with a plug and you used the old plug that was probably the source of the leak.
That's the impression I have as well haha. I can't really blame them as it isn't technically a warranty issue and it is my fault I botched screwing it back in. The filter I bought didn't come with a new drain plug, so yes I did re-use it. I ordered new drain plugs while it was at the dealer. But they said it's stripped so I'll probably have to use the time-sert in another 3k miles when it's time for the next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #21
EddieMorra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy27 View Post
Wow. What did you use to tighten that? A breaker bar? I don't think anything is wrong with your engine especially since you didn't experience any drivability problems.
Just screwed it in by hand, the large disc part broke off, and the o-ring looks misaligned as you can see in the picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 10:12 AM   #22
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

Quote:
Just screwed it in by hand
The torque for the plug is 8Nm if I remember correctly. Which is probably 5 lb/f. With standard foot long 3/4 ratchet you get that pressing on handle with 2 fingers. Good indicator - plug is flush with the pan surface. Sorry for you, hope you will get thru this with no loss. Good luck.
Appreciate 0