F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 335d xDrive and D3 Alpina reviewed head to head (in dutch)
Studio RSR

01-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
erbo73
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d xDrive and i8

335d xDrive and D3 Alpina reviewed head to head (in dutch)

http://loveatfirstdrive.nl/2013/11/k...rbo/#more-3334

Use google translate if needed...

Might have been on here before. Is that the case, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

They had a D3 review in Evo magazine I noticed today.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
They had a D3 review in Evo magazine I noticed today.
Yep. Saw that too.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #4
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

In fact, the D3 review is on the 'net

The Alpina D3 Biturbo makes a case for being the best all-round performance car on sale

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...and_specs.html

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #5
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: We test cars

Thank you for submitting our website Erbo! Unfortunately we didn't drive ourselves. The article is an interview with an acquaintance who drove both cars. He chose the 335d because the D3 won't get warranty in the Netherlands. So every time he has a problem, he has to drive 300km to the nearest Alpina garage in Germany. But a 335d xDrive Touring M in Estoril is one of the most beautiful cars on the road these days, so there's no shame in that!

Next monday we pick up the 435i xDrive M for 2 days of testing. We already were talking about subtitles in English for our movies, so maybe we will be doing that for the 435!

We hope you like our site and maybe with the subtitles you can also understand the movies :P We also have tested the 328i GT 8-speed AM (click).

Last edited by Love At First Drive; 01-03-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love At First Drive View Post
But a 335d xDrive Touring M in Estoril is one of the most beautiful cars on the road these days, so there's no shame in that!
I totally agree!

Would love to have the videos in English or subtitled... there is a Polish video review somewhere too!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 02:40 AM   #7
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Loved the site - Google Translate can sort the text, subtitles on videos would be brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 03:19 AM   #8
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Yes, please put subtitles on the 335d review
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I totally agree!

Would love to have the videos in English or subtitled... there is a Polish video review somewhere too!
So beautifull! So jealous of the friend who buys one :P Hope to drive it when he gets it! We will try to make the subs for new and old vids and when it's finished we will place them on this website. I first will contact a moderator if it's ok to place our website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Loved the site - Google Translate can sort the text, subtitles on videos would be brilliant.
We're gonna do that for the BMW video's, just for you guys! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray335d View Post
Yes, please put subtitles on the 335d review
The vid of the 335d and Alpina D3 has no conversation in it, so everybody can understand it! Just the sound of the cars and acceleration.

The 435i xDrive we test next week will be with subtitles. When it's finished I place it on the website here.

Thank you for the nice comments!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Talking

Quote:
So beautifull! So jealous of the friend who buys one :P Hope to drive it when he gets it! We will try to make the subs for new and old vids and when it's finished we will place them on this website. I first will contact a moderator if it's ok to place our website.

We're gonna do that for the BMW video's, just for you guys! :P

The vid of the 335d and Alpina D3 has no conversation in it, so everybody can understand it! Just the sound of the cars and acceleration.

The 435i xDrive we test next week will be with subtitles. When it's finished I place it on the website here.

Thank you for the nice comments!
Perfect, thanks a lot
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

I took the liberty to improve the Google Translate translation. I hope you guys can understand it better now. My English is not my native language, so some sentences are still difficult!
To be clear, we didn't drive the Alpina D3 or the F3X 335d, but we had an interview with an acquaintance.

Please support us by liking us on Facebook (click) and follow us on twitter (click)! We post pictures of the cars we drive, you can ask questions about cars we drive at the moment (in English or Dutch) and we will respond!
We appreciate your support and we will make English subtitles for our new test to come: the BMW 435i M xDrive! Pictures will be on our Facebook and website when it's finished (I think it will take 5 weeks)

Marc de Wind, an acquaintance and faithful follower of our blog, is going to buy a new car. We asked Marc why he chooses the specific car and how the test drive went.

Is your current car in need of replacement or is it time for something new? "In mid 2008, I have bought my current BMW E91 335d M Touring, after 6 years and 125,000 miles (200.000 km) it needs to be replaced. Given my positive experiences, it is logical that I order a new 335d, and I 've been waiting for the F31 335 for 6 months" thus Marc . Laurens and I have had the privilege to drive the E91 335d of Marc and it was a great experience: the acceleration is stunning!

And yet you came to a slightly different car? "At the IAA in Frankfurt last September, I ran into the stand of Alpina and saw the new D3 Biturbo standing in the characteristic Alpina blue/purple color. I 'm not a fan of the Alpina lines and logos (stickers), but the specs of the D3 are very cool: 350 hp, 700 nm and a 0-100 km/h (0-60 miles) sprint in 4.5 seconds for the xDrive! The four attractive exhausts spoke to me anyway." Yes, we love the Alpina too!

Unfortunately Alpina's are a very rare sight in our little country, how did you get the quest started? "I started searching in the Netherlands, but BMW The Hague (formally a Alpina dealer) is not an Alpina dealer anymore. Then I mailed a BMW dealer in Köln, Germany (also Alpina dealer) but I got no response .

In October I sent a mail to Alpina (headquarters) in Buchloe (near Munich, Germany), and I got a very enthusiastic response: I could testdrive a D3 in November!" [/b]Very nice! And very special to drive 800 km for a testdrive, with the good ol' 335d?[/b] "No, to make the trip more fun I got from BMW The Netherlands a new F30 335d xDrive, where I was waiting for for 6 months." Also very nice.

"Haha, the experience with the 335d xDrive was very impressive to be honest. The new 335d is much more comfortable if needed, but really a lot faster than my current E91 335d 2008. The power and torque is only slightly higher but especially the new ZF 8 -speed AM is significantly faster than the ZF 6-speed out of my own car. The xDrive is a must I noticed the next day."

And then the big moment! How did that day go? "Monday, November 11, we were at the front door at Alpina in Buchloe where the D3 Biturbo Touring was ready for us. This was the one that we had seen in the IAA Frankfurt, the 001 D3 with only rear wheel drive. After a detailed explanation and a short drive along with the salesman we got the D3 for one and a half hour!" Let the good times begin!

"Absolutely! The D3 is even faster and sharper than the 335d xDrive. Really unbelievable how fast that diesel car is. My current 335d is fast in the sprints, but the D3 is a lot faster: In 4.5 seconds to 100 km/h of course is a value for sports cars and a top speed of nearly 280 km/h is not diesels-like." Is it possible to get all that torque on the tarmac? "The handling is amazingly good and tight. However, it soon became clear that only rear wheel drive is not sufficient with 700 nm of torque. The sound is fine but not a lot nicer than the F30 335d xDrive, while a lot of money has been paid to the exhaust (Akrapovic) and air management. But a diesel is obviously not a gas powered car, sound wise." You were sold immediately? "Alpina made an offer with the extra's. So yes! The D3, including import (to The Netherlands), is slightly more expensive than a 335d xDrive. With the 335d xDrive the diesel consumption was about 1 litre for 14 km, not bad at all!"

But now the big question: Can Laurens and I make a test drive soon? "Sorry guys, I'm probably not buying the D3: BMW Netherlands and my dealer would not/could not support the Alpina regarding warranty, parts and software. The D3 is still substantially different on some points, so basically I can not do the maintenance there, I need my car every day and do not want to have to drive to Germany when I have problems. Very annoying so... "

Certainly a pity! But not to worry , right? "I'm going for a new F31 335d xDrive Touring with M package and everything on it, and that will be my car for the next 5-6 years . No punishment either!"

And the Alpina experience, Marc? To never forget! What a fantastic car that is!"\

To see the video, click here and scroll down.

Please support us by liking us on Facebook (click) and follow us on twitter (click)! We post pictures of the cars we drive, you can ask questions about cars we drive at the moment (in English or Dutch) and we will respond!
We appreciate your support and we will make English subtitles for our new test to come: the BMW 435i M xDrive! Pictures will be on our Facebook and website when it's finished (I think it will take 5 weeks)

Last edited by Love At First Drive; 01-04-2014 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
bwrlane
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i F31 MPPSK

Fantastic thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwrlane View Post
Fantastic thank you!
You're welcome!
      01-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #14
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

My dealer has a number of used D3's and a B3 in stock. I Nearly did...but not quite
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #15
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
My dealer has a number of used D3's and a B3 in stock. I Nearly did...but not quite
F3X or E9X? If I had the money..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Pablo68
Left the building
Wales
Rep
Drives: Not a diesel.

Quote:
F3X or E9X? If I had the money..
Both.

One of them is this little beauty of a B3

Mmmmm
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #17
jimboss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

The Alpina's are on my company car list….if only i could convince the wife! at least i've got another two years to work on it!…..i'll take the D3 F31 variant
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo68 View Post
Hmmmmm!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #19
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

loveatfirstdrive, can you add the Google Translate to your website - there should be a way of doing it, so people not using Chrome can get automatic translations.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
loveatfirstdrive, can you add the Google Translate to your website - there should be a way of doing it, so people not using Chrome can get automatic translations.
Hmm good idea! We get a new website, I will ask the webmaster if it's possible.
But the video's are more popular, so the subtitles have the priority.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think it's just a case of adding some code to the site, rather than a redesign - was reading some other articles there earlier today.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #22
Love At First Drive
www.LoveAtFirstDrive.nl
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
I think it's just a case of adding some code to the site, rather than a redesign - was reading some other articles there earlier today.
Yes, it's 'just' a Wordpress site. The new site has a custom design, I hope it will be ready this month.
I've tried something with a plugin now. If you go to our website you see on the right under the Twitter and Facebook buttons 3 flags. Hope this helps for you guys!

Please support us by liking us on Facebook