F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > No start, Multiple Errors, No OBD conn.
ARMA SPEED

01-13-2024, 09:15 PM   #1
Medic-NY
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F34

No start, Multiple Errors, No OBD conn.

Hello friends,

Looking for some help here as my frustration grows.
This is a 2016 328i GT N26. The car has been sitting for about 14 months now due to throwing a rod. I have started it and moved it several times throughout the year, but the other day after I moved it, I went back about 2 hours later to move it back, and it wouldn’t start.

No crank, no solenoid click, no relay click, nothing. At the same time the drive errors included Spolier malfunction, drivetrain malfunction (which I’ve had since the rod problem,) brake system malfunction, fuel system malfunction, and to top it all off, I can’t get my OBD tool to connect. Also, it sounds like the fuel pump runs continuously when the car is on ACC.

The OBD port has power, and I can connect to the reader, but the reader does not connect to the ecu using even the most basic types.

I have been charging the battery for about 24 hours now because I couldn’t even keep the dash displays to stay lit up when clicking the ignition button other than the fuel pump starts running.

Without access to my scan tool via OBD2, I am not sure whether I start.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:50 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

How could you start it if it threw a rod?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 09:51 PM   #3
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic-NY View Post
Hello friends,

Looking for some help here as my frustration grows.
This is a 2016 328i GT N26. The car has been sitting for about 14 months now due to throwing a rod. I have started it and moved it several times throughout the year, but the other day after I moved it, I went back about 2 hours later to move it back, and it wouldn’t start.

No crank, no solenoid click, no relay click, nothing. At the same time the drive errors included Spolier malfunction, drivetrain malfunction (which I’ve had since the rod problem,) brake system malfunction, fuel system malfunction, and to top it all off, I can’t get my OBD tool to connect. Also, it sounds like the fuel pump runs continuously when the car is on ACC.

The OBD port has power, and I can connect to the reader, but the reader does not connect to the ecu using even the most basic types.

I have been charging the battery for about 24 hours now because I couldn’t even keep the dash displays to stay lit up when clicking the ignition button other than the fuel pump starts running.

Without access to my scan tool via OBD2, I am not sure whether I start.
Sounds like you have lost some of the connectivity to the DME. I've had similar errors when the DME plugs didn't have good contact by not been fully inserted (had to unplug them for bench unlocking the DME prior to Stage 1 Dinan flash) - >Check the DME plugs (DME has a cover and is located in the engine bay, driver side next to the strut column) for damages. Make sure the battery is healthy and has a full charge. Good luck.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2024, 08:15 PM   #4
Medic-NY
Enlisted Member
Rep

The car has been sitting for some time, and although I keep charging the battery, every morning it’s at 11.1 volts, so I’m going to start with that. Gonna order one tomorrow.

I checked the DME connections and they all seem good.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 08:44 PM   #5
Medic-NY
Enlisted Member
Rep

So, replaced the battery, double checked to make sure it was good. Still having the same issue.
No connectivity to the OBD port
Drivetrain malfunction
Spoiler malfunction
Brake system malfunction
Fuel system malfunction
Gauge cluster goes on and off randomly
The P on the shifter flickers
Fuel pump runs non stop
Everything else as far as accessories work as expected.
Checked all the connections I could find. Not sure what’s next? Fuses?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:03 PM   #6
Medic-NY
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oksamit78 View Post
Sounds like you have lost some of the connectivity to the DME. I've had similar errors when the DME plugs didn't have good contact by not been fully inserted (had to unplug them for bench unlocking the DME prior to Stage 1 Dinan flash) - >Check the DME plugs (DME has a cover and is located in the engine bay, driver side next to the strut column) for damages. Make sure the battery is healthy and has a full charge. Good luck.
So, I just found the problem…
The braided ground that goes from the engine to the chassis is falling apart and rusted. I jumped the block straight to the battery and all the issues went away.
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 2
Oksamit78271.50
KCee41.00