F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Oil Change
Studio RSR

04-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Oil Change

I am planning on changing my oil this weekend from BMW's 0W40 to Castrol Edge 0W40 (I know Castrol used to make BMW's oil for them and all that talk), however do I have to change the oil filter too? I will be using the same viscosity. The reason I am asking is because I accidentally filled up 1L of 5W40 once, due to the low oil level warning, and BMW here didn't bother to provide us with what type of oil they were using on our cars, so I guessed it was 5W40. I was wrong, it was 0W40, but 2 weeks later my car was serviced and it got an oil change. The reason why this post is so long and why I am going on forever, is because when my car heats up, I get this annoying ticking noise in my engine (Only when it's hot), and after changing gas octane several times, no result. So could this sound be the resultant of 2 oil viscosities mixing at the same time? and if that's the case, an oil filter change is recommended?

Thanks and sorry for the long post
      04-28-2015, 02:15 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou View Post
I am planning on changing my oil this weekend from BMW's 0W40 to Castrol Edge 0W40 (I know Castrol used to make BMW's oil for them and all that talk), however do I have to change the oil filter too? I will be using the same viscosity. The reason I am asking is because I accidentally filled up 1L of 5W40 once, due to the low oil level warning, and BMW here didn't bother to provide us with what type of oil they were using on our cars, so I guessed it was 5W40. I was wrong, it was 0W40, but 2 weeks later my car was serviced and it got an oil change. The reason why this post is so long and why I am going on forever, is because when my car heats up, I get this annoying ticking noise in my engine (Only when it's hot), and after changing gas octane several times, no result. So could this sound be the resultant of 2 oil viscosities mixing at the same time? and if that's the case, an oil filter change is recommended?
The viscosity has little or nothing to do with ticking while warm. The oils you mention are all 40 weight when warm. All BMW LL-01 oils are of similar viscosity, both cold (either 0W or 5W) and hot (30 or 40). Not going to make enough difference to matter. The ticking is just the way the engine is; ignore it unless it changes radically.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2015, 07:09 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Are you doing intermediate oil changes? If so I wouldn't change the filter. If you're changing the oil based on when the car tells you then yes change the filter.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0