F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why is F30 suspension really so poor?
Studio RSR

02-20-2019, 01:57 AM   #45
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

My pre-LCI F31 is on 18" wheels with conventional as opposed to run-flat tyres; it also has adaptive suspension.

Being honest I don't have an issue with the ride comfort in terms of its ability to absorb bumps at low speed around town; what I don't like is that it's soft and wallowy when the speed increases, especially if you're tackling a twisty, undulating, road. When I bought the car I knew X-Drives had SE suspension but I thought speccing adaptive suspension - and putting in Sport mode when required - would address any problems with over-soft suspension; however, it doesn't as body control is still poor whilst if anything the ability to absorb bumps is worse.

I suspect an S-Drive with M-Sport suspension may be rather better but for my car I think the only way to improve things significantly would be by swapping springs and (probably) dampers for something aftermarket (so basically moving to a sports suspension kit offered by the likes of ACS or Birds). IMHO it shouldn't be necessary to do that on a £40k car aimed ostensibly at the keener driver but that debates's been had before on other threads.....
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #46
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Same impression. M Adaptive suspension performs very well as a factory offering. Dinan Shockware can make it even better at a nominal cost.
We can’t get the Dinah Shockware over here unfortunately- be great if you could/ would prove me wrong.

Apparently it’s more tuned towards the US smoother roads as opposed to our rutted roads.
      02-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #47
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
I suspect an S-Drive with M-Sport suspension may be rather better but for my car I think the only way to improve things significantly would be by swapping springs and (probably) dampers for something aftermarket (so basically moving to a sports suspension kit offered by the likes of ACS or Birds). IMHO it shouldn't be necessary to do that on a £40k car aimed ostensibly at the keener driver but that debates's been had before on other threads.....
I don't believe BMW will ever completely satisfy all of their drivers, whatever they do. For me the elephant in the room which influences the debate, (consciously or not), is our varied road quality and poor finishes.

I recall when a Bridgestone Field Engineer came up to see me and rode in my 330d. He admitted the roads I typically drive are "challenging". That makes a big difference to what suspension tuning, (OEM or aftermarket) we see as acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #48
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal101 View Post
We can’t get the Dinah Shockware over here unfortunately- be great if you could/ would prove me wrong.

Apparently it’s more tuned towards the US smoother roads as opposed to our rutted roads.
US roads smoother? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Comment from my first wife while driving on Interstate 40 in Northern Arizona. "I've never been offroading with a center divider before". Parts of that highway look like the RAF dumped its excess JP233 runway denial munitions on it just for fun.

Then there is I-10 in California between Riverside and Palm Springs. The road is made of concrete slabs that all appear to be bent upwards at the ends where they join. I drove a Volvo S60 along there once and fully expected the struts to appear out of the hood.

...and then there's Michigan.

https://twitter.com/miroadssuck?lang=en
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #49
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Same impression. M Adaptive suspension performs very well as a factory offering. Dinan Shockware can make it even better at a nominal cost.

Didn't know that Dinan Shockware is not available in UK.

The biggest problem with OEM suspensions in general: the valves design is the lowest common denominator and doesn't offer compression and rebound that is quick enough to absorb road imperfections with confidence.

That's why Ohlins R&T coilovers cost more than OEM shocks and springs.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #50
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
US roads smoother? BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!! Comment from my first wife while driving on Interstate 40 in Northern Arizona. "I've never been offroading with a center divider before". Parts of that highway look like the RAF dumped its excess JP233 runway denial munitions on it just for fun.

Then there is I-10 in California between Riverside and Palm Springs. The road is made of concrete slabs that all appear to be bent upwards at the ends where they join. I drove a Volvo S60 along there once and fully expected the struts to appear out of the hood.

Sounds like most of our better roads to be honest.

The times I’ve driven in the US must admit I’ve always been impressed by the calibre of the roads AND the fuel costs
      02-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #51
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post

gave me a good chuckle!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #52
335dM3Touring
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d X drive Touring

More 335d suspension talk!

My apologies in advance if this post comes up as a reply. Im new to the site and haven't worked it out yet!

I have changed a 66 plate 330d Msport saloon for a 17 plate 335d Msport X drive Touring and currently I don't like the way it drives anywhere like as much as the 330d (s drive)

There is so much chat on this forum about springs / dampers / roll bars etc etc I am confused. Can someone please tell me what the min is that I need to do to the car for it to drive properly - do I just need to change the springs (seemingly to ACS or Eibach) to get closer to the std Msport set-up (non adaptive) or is much more reqd.

Any help / advice and who can do the work would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #53
daac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dM3Touring View Post
My apologies in advance if this post comes up as a reply. Im new to the site and haven't worked it out yet!

I have changed a 66 plate 330d Msport saloon for a 17 plate 335d Msport X drive Touring and currently I don't like the way it drives anywhere like as much as the 330d (s drive)

There is so much chat on this forum about springs / dampers / roll bars etc etc I am confused. Can someone please tell me what the min is that I need to do to the car for it to drive properly - do I just need to change the springs (seemingly to ACS or Eibach) to get closer to the std Msport set-up (non adaptive) or is much more reqd.

Any help / advice and who can do the work would be hugely appreciated. Many thanks.

I'm in the same boat with 340xdrive with adaptive. The most consistent things I've read are kW Street comfort coilovers. How the car should have come from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #54
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

I've owned a good few M sport cars in the past, and now I have a 335xd. Genuinely speaking how I feel, that 335d Xdrive car doesn't deserve an M badge.

The OE suspension set up is brutally shocking. By getting a 335d Msport I thought I was getting a nice and sporty stiff suspension as all M sport cars were.

The handling at speeds in unbelievable, it feels like I'm in a roller coaster hanging onto my life when going around the bends, never mind going around the bumps an uneven road, it feels like the whole car is going to collapse.

Looking in B6, B8, or maybe B14's now.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:22 PM   #55
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

So is the F30 suspension really that bad or is it just xdrive cars?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #56
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
I've owned a good few M sport cars in the past, and now I have a 335xd. Genuinely speaking how I feel, that 335d Xdrive car doesn't deserve an M badge.

The OE suspension set up is brutally shocking. By getting a 335d Msport I thought I was getting a nice and sporty stiff suspension as all M sport cars were.

The handling at speeds in unbelievable, it feels like I'm in a roller coaster hanging onto my life when going around the bends, never mind going around the bumps an uneven road, it feels like the whole car is going to collapse.

Looking in B6, B8, or maybe B14's now.
I feel the same way about mine. The suspension certainly doesn't inspire confidence. The back end especially is shocking. Uncomfortable and unsettled on the twisties. Fine on the motorway though.

Anyway I have a bilstein b12 kit on order which I hope to receive in a week or two. Had this kit on an e91 and had no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 01:43 AM   #57
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishbosh View Post
I feel the same way about mine. The suspension certainly doesn't inspire confidence. The back end especially is shocking. Uncomfortable and unsettled on the twisties. Fine on the motorway though.

Anyway I have a bilstein b12 kit on order which I hope to receive in a week or two. Had this kit on an e91 and had no complaints.
Please keep us posted as Im also looking into some form of Bilsteins, but I would like a full kit, rather then mixing them with acs or hr springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #58
scotsman335dxDrive
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Please keep us posted as Im also looking into some form of Bilsteins, but I would like a full kit, rather then mixing them with acs or hr springs.
I tried the ACS springs as it seemed everyone said that was all the 335d xDrive needed. But to me they were better than stock springs but still terrible to drive quickly and was still pretty much all over the place and too easy to bottom out on crests and undulating surfaces. So in the end i had a few conversations with Kevin Bird from Birds Tuners and i had the Birds B3 sports suspension kit, dampers and springs fitted. Now the car is just about what i reckon it should have been from the factory, a lot smoother and comfortable and a LOT flatter through the twisties. I am much happier now.