F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > 440i(F32) - Would coding affect BMW Remote app? I'm not getting car GPS position
Studio RSR

07-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition 2017

Question 440i(F32) - Would coding affect BMW Remote app? I'm not getting car GPS position

Hi all

I followed the cheat sheet for F30 and done some coding to turn on the video in motion and some other small features (turn on M performance logo, side camera when driving, usb video and usb codec, etc ) to my 440i. All the features seems to be working fine, however, after coded, I noticed that the BMW Remote app not working properly:

I could send commands from the mobile phone to the car, the car actioned on the commands (i.e. lock / unlock / flash headline) but the car seems to be not responding back to the server / the car's response cant not reached the server as the app always saying: "sending to vehicle" and after a while it is saying the command failed.

Could you please share some idea what I might had killed?

Thanks a lot in advance for any idea.

Cheers
David
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Are you using Iphone or Android App? I read recently that the Apple ConnectedDrive and BMW Remote got combined into one app and has not been working for individuals.

Have you tried from BMW Remote app and from Google Maps to send destination?

I use Android, but even had to send destination twice yesterday from Google Maps before it accepted.

Also, there is idrive setting to enable GPS for tracking. If you did headunit coding, you could have cleared out preference and need to re-enable.

None of the coding you listed should affect BMW Apps. Did you do any VO Coding?

The other thing you can check is TokenMaster's NCD / CAFD Tool. Load your SVT into "SVT-CAFD" Resource, Select F030 for Mainseries, and your Build Level. Then, select option 6NR BMW Apps > Select Calculate. It will show you some functions you can check (eg Remote_HMI/ A4A_Android/ A4A_Remote_Apps etc = aktiv).
Appreciate 1
idavid24.50
      07-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Are you using Iphone or Android App? I read recently that the Apple ConnectedDrive and BMW Remote got combined into one app and has not been working for individuals.

Have you tried from BMW Remote app and from Google Maps to send destination?

I use Android, but even had to send destination twice yesterday from Google Maps before it accepted.

Also, there is idrive setting to enable GPS for tracking. If you did headunit coding, you could have cleared out preference and need to re-enable.

None of the coding you listed should affect BMW Apps. Did you do any VO Coding?

The other thing you can check is TokenMaster's NCD / CAFD Tool. Load your SVT into "SVT-CAFD" Resource, Select F030 for Mainseries, and your Build Level. Then, select option 6NR BMW Apps > Select Calculate. It will show you some functions you can check (eg Remote_HMI/ A4A_Android/ A4A_Remote_Apps etc = aktiv).

Thanks very much Almaretto.

I'm using iPhone and i've checked the 'enable GPS for tracking' in the iDrive. I've not done any VO coding. Will try TokenMaster's tools tonight.

Just realized that I selected 'F020' on the 'esys-chassis-selection' screen, for my car. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 11:20 PM   #4
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idavid View Post
Thanks very much Almaretto.

I'm using iPhone and i've checked the 'enable GPS for tracking' in the iDrive. I've not done any VO coding. Will try TokenMaster's tools tonight.

Just realized that I selected 'F020' on the 'esys-chassis-selection' screen, for my car. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
Yes, you are correct:
  • For Launcher, you select actual vehicle chassis (eg F32 for 440i Coupe).
  • For E-sys Target, you select representative chassis (eg F20 for actual F32).
  • E-sys targets come from Psdzdata (C:\Data\Psdzdata\mainseries)
  • F020 Covers F020 (F020/F021/F022/F023/F087/F088) & F030 (F030/F031/F032/F033/F034/F035/F036/F080/F082/F083)
You do not need to know all these details, but there is reasoning behind the groupings. The NCD / CAFD tool just shows that F020 & F030 separation for Main Series based on FA2FP tables.

From NCD / CAFD Tool:

From my FA2FP Table:

Last edited by Almaretto; 07-19-2016 at 11:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:59 AM   #5
F36420I
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Bmw 420I Gran Coupe

Hello

Try to use the remote services from the web page it worked for me
I think its the app and not the coding

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/c...selection.html
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:58 AM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

I agree it would be a good idea to test sending destination via multiple ways (BMW ConnectedDrive login, Google Maps, and App).

If you updated your app, then you might want to see if you can roll back and test as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marskiller View Post
Hello

Try to use the remote services from the web page it worked for me
I think its the app and not the coding

https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/c...selection.html

Thanks Marskiller. I've tried using the website, I can send message from the website to the car. Same as using the app, I can send address to the car as well as sending commands: lock/unlock etc.

However, seems like to me is the car couldn't send respond back to the server. My mobile app always error due to timeout.

Im in Australia, still haven't found out how to track my car's gps info on the website. Do you have that function on yours?

Thanks
David
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 06:27 AM   #8
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you are correct:
  • For Launcher, you select actual vehicle chassis (eg F32 for 440i Coupe).
  • For E-sys Target, you select representative chassis (eg F20 for actual F32).
  • E-sys targets come from Psdzdata (C:\Data\Psdzdata\mainseries)
  • F020 Covers F020 (F020/F021/F022/F023/F087/F088) & F030 (F030/F031/F032/F033/F034/F035/F036/F080/F082/F083)
You do not need to know all these details, but there is reasoning behind the groupings. The NCD / CAFD tool just shows that F020 & F030 separation for Main Series based on FA2FP tables.

From NCD / CAFD Tool:

From my FA2FP Table:

Hi Almaretto

I've tried the app from TokenMaster, and below is what I've got from the app based on the instructions that you have given me before.

Could you please advise me what should I do with those info? I noticed that some of the value having '[Default]' at the end, does that mean those value are same as the default and the ones without '[Default]' were those I've changed? But they don't look familiar to me, I don't think I've made any changes to those keys.

Could you please advise me?
Thanks
David

<<< CAFD_00001EF6.caf.006_018_007 (HU_NBT_EVO) >>>
HU_NBT_EVO > AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC 3002 > A4A_ANDROID = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > EXBOX 3001 > USB_AVAILABLE = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_KML = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_LEGAL_DISCLAIMER = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_PIA = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_PROD_MONTH = jan [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_PROD_YEAR = 2012 [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_REMOTE_APPS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_STT_SPELLER_INPUT = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > A4A_SWT = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > APPLE_ENHANCEMENTS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > REMOTE_HMI = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > SPEECH_FEEDBACK_CHANNEL = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN 3004 > PIA_A4A = nicht_aktiv [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > SYSTEM_EINSTELLUNGEN 3004 > SOFTWARE_UPDATE_ASSISTANT = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > A4A_WIRELESS_ANDROID = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > A4A_WIRELESS_IOS = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > API_IPOD_VIDEO = none [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > API_USB_VIDEO = none [Default]
HU_NBT_EVO > TELEFON_TELEMATIK_ONLINE 3003 > SWUP_SOURCE_USBMSCDD = aktiv
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Hi Almaretto

I've tried the app from TokenMaster, and below is what I've got from the app based on the instructions that you have given me before.

Could you please advise me what should I do with those info? I noticed that some of the value having '[Default]' at the end, does that mean those value are same as the default and the ones without '[Default]' were those I've changed? But they don't look familiar to me, I don't think I've made any changes to those keys.

Could you please advise me?
Thanks
David
The SVT-CAFD resource is a sort of "what-if" game. It is not always correct and that is why there is a warning, but gives idea of which ECU and how FDL's would be changed if you were to modify FA (ie adding options, eg 6NR) and VO code said ECU modules rather than manually changing each parameter.

Since it is only using your SVT, it does not necessarily know what your current parameter values are. However, usually default means those would already be set as displayed before adding said option.

If you had not already VO coded or touched any of the functions displayed, it is more likely there is something wrong with BMW App or BMW Servers used to send commands. That is why it is good to check other means to send destinations.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The SVT-CAFD resource is a sort of "what-if" game. It is not always correct and that is why there is a warning, but gives idea of which ECU and how FDL's would be changed if you were to modify FA (ie adding options, eg 6NR) and VO code said ECU modules rather than manually changing each parameter.

Since it is only using your SVT, it does not necessarily know what your current parameter values are. However, usually default means those would already be set as displayed before adding said option.

If you had not already VO coded or touched any of the functions displayed, it is more likely there is something wrong with BMW App or BMW Servers used to send commands. That is why it is good to check other means to send destinations.
Thanks Almaretto.

I noticed one thing - the Internet browser on the car, once I go to Google, it will show me the German version and my car's IP is getting a German IP. Is that normal? Or would that be somehow the car connected to a wrong server?

Thanks
David
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Almaretto.

I noticed one thing - the Internet browser on the car, once I go to Google, it will show me the German version and my car's IP is getting a German IP. Is that normal? Or would that be somehow the car connected to a wrong server?

Thanks
David
There are many language settings in your head unit and instrument cluster modules for thing like voice commands and navigation language in addition to that selected through idrive. You can check out some of them using TM's Tool, both loading FA which will display option descriptors as well as through various other sections. Yet, I imagine you have not done anything to switch your settings nor am I sure exactly what you are describing.

Is this what you mean by German Google. As I have not spent much time with it, I will unlikely be of much help on this particular query. As far as the IP goes, there are services like ConnectedDrive that run through the motherland's servers so it is possible that is what you are seeing. Doing a quick search I found this post. That thread might address your concerns.

Personally, I have not extensively played with either the newer head units (NBT2/NBT_Evo) with 4G sims or with the idrive5/6 interface. Nor have I spent much time using the browser on any head unit. As such, I do not have much experience for comparison; though, my current vehicles have 3G sims and I find most of the ConnectedDrive internet features (eg email) to load slowly and more of a gimmick. I will occasionally use online searches and location images for destinations; however, since the 2014+ navigations do a much better job with real-time traffic and pre-emptively alerting passengers of location's street side (ie left vs right) combined with the fact they are speed-locked and slow as mentioned, I find that I either do not need to utilize or would rather use my smartphone directly.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:58 PM   #12
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
There are many language settings in your head unit and instrument cluster modules for thing like voice commands and navigation language in addition to that selected through idrive. You can check out some of them using TM's Tool, both loading FA which will display option descriptors as well as through various other sections. Yet, I imagine you have not done anything to switch your settings nor am I sure exactly what you are describing.

Is this what you mean by German Google. As I have not spent much time with it, I will unlikely be of much help on this particular query. As far as the IP goes, there are services like ConnectedDrive that run through the motherland's servers so it is possible that is what you are seeing. Doing a quick search I found this post. That thread might address your concerns.

Personally, I have not extensively played with either the newer head units (NBT2/NBT_Evo) with 4G sims or with the idrive5/6 interface. Nor have I spent much time using the browser on any head unit. As such, I do not have much experience for comparison; though, my current vehicles have 3G sims and I find most of the ConnectedDrive internet features (eg email) to load slowly and more of a gimmick. I will occasionally use online searches and location images for destinations; however, since the 2014+ navigations do a much better job with real-time traffic and pre-emptively alerting passengers of location's street side (ie left vs right) combined with the fact they are speed-locked and slow as mentioned, I find that I either do not need to utilize or would rather use my smartphone directly.

I'm completely with you Almaretto. Mine car is showing 3G as well and the speed is super slow.

The reason why I mentioned that the Google is in Germany was that I'm hoping I didn't kill anything when I was coding the car and point the car to the German server. So that killed the BMW mobile app as the car is sending its respond to the German server, while im in Australia and my app is listening to the Australian server.

I might try remove the car from my bmw account and re attach it. Hopefully that makes something difference. Wish me luck
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 12:03 AM   #13
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I'm completely with you Almaretto. Mine car is showing 3G as well and the speed is super slow.

The reason why I mentioned that the Google is in Germany was that I'm hoping I didn't kill anything when I was coding the car and point the car to the German server. So that killed the BMW mobile app as the car is sending its respond to the German server, while im in Australia and my app is listening to the Australian server.

I might try remove the car from my bmw account and re attach it. Hopefully that makes something difference. Wish me luck
The way VO coding works is that it allows end-users to add or remove factory options (eg add 6NS telephone with extended bluetooth or remove decoding variable light distribution). Comparatively, FDL-coding overwrites VO coding to individuals change various function parameters. Unless you received any errors while coding and/or lost connection, random variables should not be corrupted or changed.

Specifically with ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist and factory internet, these services can be very finicky and affected by issues with BMW servers as well as various app versions on different phones and operating systems.

BMW Genius and Assist support services can be slow at resolving issues or responding to communication and troubleshooting requests. Your issues may resolved with time on their own, but might be worth submitting ticket. As well, as suggested before, it is always good to try multiple avenues (ie ConnectedDrive login, Google Maps, etc) to eliminate possible variables as root cause of your troubles.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 10:54 PM   #14
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The way VO coding works is that it allows end-users to add or remove factory options (eg add 6NS telephone with extended bluetooth or remove decoding variable light distribution). Comparatively, FDL-coding overwrites VO coding to individuals change various function parameters. Unless you received any errors while coding and/or lost connection, random variables should not be corrupted or changed.

Specifically with ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist and factory internet, these services can be very finicky and affected by issues with BMW servers as well as various app versions on different phones and operating systems.

BMW Genius and Assist support services can be slow at resolving issues or responding to communication and troubleshooting requests. Your issues may resolved with time on their own, but might be worth submitting ticket. As well, as suggested before, it is always good to try multiple avenues (ie ConnectedDrive login, Google Maps, etc) to eliminate possible variables as root cause of your troubles.
Hi Almaretto

Guess what, it WORKING again 5 mins ago!!! I didn't change anything at all. So you are right, must be their server stuffed it up. Just happened after I coded the car.

haha... so happy. Thanks very much for your helps.

Btw, could I please ask you for a different thing - I have heard that the exhaust sound could be play inside the car via the stereo system in the car, is that true? Is that something called: bmw active sound / sound generator ?

Is that possible to turn this on for my car? or just for available M4?

Thanks
David
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:02 PM   #15
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Btw, could I please ask you for a different thing - I have heard that the exhaust sound could be play inside the car via the stereo system in the car, is that true? Is that something called: bmw active sound / sound generator ?

Thanks
David
You mean ASD? It only works for certain models and I-step.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 05:53 AM   #16
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:

Thanks
David
You mean ASD? It only works for certain models and I-step.
Mine is a 2016, F32. does it mean I could turn it on? Also, the table having part 1 and part 2, does it mean if I set value for part 1 + part2 according to the combination on the table, I could change the sound to make it sound like different car?for example change mine 440i to M4?

Thanks
      07-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #17
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a 2016, F32. does it mean I could turn it on? Also, the table having part 1 and part 2, does it mean if I set value for part 1 + part2 according to the combination on the table, I could change the sound to make it sound like different car?for example change mine 440i to M4?

Thanks
If you have an ASD module, then you could try different combinations. Personally, I have not really played with ASD. For more information, check out this post. It has two links that might be helpful.
In general, if coding has multi-steps or parts, then it will not work until you set all FDL's as indicated.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 08:42 AM   #18
idavid
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:

Thanks
If you have an ASD module, then you could try different combinations. Personally, I have not really played with ASD. For more information, check out this post. It has two links that might be helpful.
In general, if coding has multi-steps or parts, then it will not work until you set all FDL's as indicated.
Thanks mate. I've try playing with the asd, however I don't think my engine support that. But thanks for the info anyway.
      11-26-2016, 02:50 AM   #19
JY58
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 440i Coupe

sorry to be the new guy here but any help link or direct help with how I could get started in coding my new 440i coupe?

Also idavid - would love to hear some recommended code changes to have off the bat.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #20
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JY58 View Post
sorry to be the new guy here but any help link or direct help with how I could get started in coding my new 440i coupe?

Also idavid - would love to hear some recommended code changes to have off the bat.
PM'd necessary software and getting started documents. Included in the ladder is a '16 435xi Cheat Sheet.
Appreciate 1
idavid24.50