F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Steering wheel swap Q
GetBMWParts

07-15-2017, 11:49 PM   #1
Icon5585
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m340i

Steering wheel swap Q

I currently have a 2014 335i sport line steering wheel WITHOUT the paddle shifters. Is it a simple plug and play (plus coding, I know) to install a sport line steering wheel WITH paddle shifters? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
rflagg
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Yes, almost - in some cases you need to route a new wire from SZL (steering column cluster) to FEM. Some cars that didn't come equipped with the paddle shifters still have the wire already in place (mine had) while some don't. In any case it's pretty easy to do. You'll find out whether you need to route the extra wire if you take out the plastic trim around the steering column (just pull) and look at the connector going in there, if it's missing wire to pin 3 you need to add it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Icon5585
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflagg View Post
Yes, almost - in some cases you need to route a new wire from SZL (steering column cluster) to FEM. Some cars that didn't come equipped with the paddle shifters still have the wire already in place (mine had) while some don't. In any case it's pretty easy to do. You'll find out whether you need to route the extra wire if you take out the plastic trim around the steering column (just pull) and look at the connector going in there, if it's missing wire to pin 3 you need to add it.
Awesome, thanks! Are there any pictures or videos of what to look for exactly?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
rflagg
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Took a while but I found some images for you, should help:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=34

Also check out this great guide with detailed instructions:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m33a3n...30+Rev.+3L.pdf

You mentioned you have a sports line steering wheel, it's not the M-Sport wheel though? If not, absolutely remove the old steering wheel with this method:

Appreciate 0