F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmertech MMI Prime.....issues/concerns?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-24-2020, 06:36 PM   #1
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

Bimmertech MMI Prime.....issues/concerns?

Considering the Bimmertech MMI Prime for wireless carplay on a 2014 335 with NBT (ID3). Have looked through most of the existing threads. If you have their MMI PRIME installed in your vehicle, please give me the "buyer beware" shortlist, so I know what to expect in terms of potential drawbacks.

TIA!

PS: I understand that there is cheaper option available; however, having the technical support might be worth the premium.

Last edited by EvenKeel; 08-24-2020 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
Moogman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2016 X3 Xdrive 28i

I want to do the same thing. I am like you about the technical support might be worth the premium. I am hesitant still though to do it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2020, 07:07 AM   #3
cognetic
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i XDrive; X5

Bimmertech Support is very good!

I have the bimmertech MMI prime version. Other than an upgrade that stabilized connectivity and provided newer firmware, I have had zero problems. The Bimertech support has been very, very good across several products I've purchased from them.

-cognetic
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
karimsaver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 428xi (F36); BMW X5 (G05)

Just installed this yesterday, works well so far, will let you know as I use it more. To get into the MMI menu I had to hold down the menu button rather than the iDrive controller which was not in the instructions.

The steering wheel Siri button took a few minutes to start working but has been working well since.

There is a slight clicking noise when switching from the MMI to iDrive, but I don't even notice it anymore after using it briefly.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 08:56 AM   #5
guy_with_F30
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

I have installed BimmerTech`s MMI Prime in July. Reason I went for BimmerTech instead of cheaper options are:
1. Excellent customer support
2. Regular firmware updates from BimmerTech team

Downside is a click sound when system switches from MMI to OEM system and vice versa. Similar sound when engaging reverse.

In my opinion, there are worth the premium they charge.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #6
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Good info. Pls continue to share your experiences.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 10:47 PM   #7
GL071
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 Alpine Weiss M

X5 F15 - MMI Prime - it's comoing out.

Hi Guys,
I've just done this, 3 momths ago , but i'm about to rip it out.

I'm not suggesting it's bad but it's not what i'm looking for. I'm chasing factory fit, connected services, apple carplay, with an NBT EVO ID6 update.

But firstly on tech support - Bimmertech great, responsive, understood their product.

Usability - is my problem. The connectivity from MMI prime and my iPhone, or any family memebrs is very flakey and random. Often requireing me to delete the MMI wifi connection from my phone and re-pair to MMI, sometimes even full reset of MMI.

The time i can most replicate this is when you drive the car from cold start say, MMI works, then you get out at the shops, get back in 5 mins later after getting milk or whatever - no connection, it's all over. Delete wifi- go in to MMI and re-pair.

I want the MMI to flash up carplay screen each and everytime i get in the car, and it doesnt do it.

Sometimes it connects other times it does not, and when your wife is in the drive way, and rolls down that window with the dagger eyes going "that 600 bux you spent is hopeless" :-)

FUnctionally, when MMI does connect to the iPhone, its flawless, exactly as carplay should be, even in my 10.5" non-touchscreen ID3 system.

2 other anomolies:
The scroll dial on the steering wheel, doesnt know if its connected to the Headunit or MMI, they both read signals, so you can often find yourself with a phone call going AND the radio blasting through the speakers at the same time - my advice is dont touch the scroll wheel while MMI is active. When MMI isnt active, scroll wheel is fine (change radio staions, flick though play lists on HU no probs.

The other one is camera view. My car has the 360 camera option, so when i go through say a McDonalds drive through for the kids, or really when i'm moving slowly against any surface that is close enough to trigger the cameras (like at traffic lights when a motor bike comes too close or a car) the HU switches the screen to the 360 camera view (no issue with that), PDC beepers go off (no problem) but you loose control of the carplay interface - so you cannot go back to your maps, or audio or phone call unless you turn off 360 camera view or move away from the thing you are close too. You cannot long hold the menu button to bring up the MMI video interface, the camera overrides everything.

Although these things maybe minor to some, it's this level of integration and detail you can only get from a fully integrated system such as NBT EVO - these problems dont exist on my mates 2018 delivered F15 X5 with ID6. however the difference from MMI is thousands of dollars and coding, either or both of which we all most likely have some limitations :-)

Hope that helps.
G

Last edited by GL071; 09-09-2020 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-10-2020, 04:42 AM   #8
Firefly1337
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_with_F30 View Post
2. Regular firmware updates from BimmerTech team
Which version do you currently have?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #9
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Doesn't seem ready for "prime" time. Am gonna wait.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:14 AM   #10
F30zoom
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F34 330d xdrive

Question Bimmertech MMi - Wifi Icon?

Hi,

Just installed all working well but I have the wifi icon on the display is this normal? Or should it work wireless without this visible icon? I accidently manually selected the mmi wifi on my iPhone hence it is now on the display. Do you need to select it manually to make it work in wireless mode? Nothing on the install instructions on vids. Bimmertech don't know the answer either as I have tried there support.

Pls see attachment's.

Thanks

Rgds

Peter
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 03:38 AM   #11
F30zoom
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F34 330d xdrive

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL071 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm not suggesting it's bad but it's not what i'm looking for. I'm chasing factory fit, connected services, apple carplay, with an NBT EVO ID6 update.

But firstly on tech support - Bimmertech great, responsive, understood their product.

Usability - is my problem. The connectivity from MMI prime and my iPhone, or any family memebrs is very flakey and random. Often requireing me to delete the MMI wifi connection from my phone and re-pair to MMI, sometimes even full reset of MMI.

The time i can most replicate this is when you drive the car from cold start say, MMI works, then you get out at the shops, get back in 5 mins later after getting milk or whatever - no connection, it's all over. Delete wifi- go in to MMI and re-pair.

I want the MMI to flash up carplay screen each and everytime i get in the car, and it doesnt do it.

Sometimes it connects other times it does not, and when your wife is in the drive way, and rolls down that window with the dagger eyes going "that 600 bux you spent is hopeless" :-)

FUnctionally, when MMI does connect to the iPhone, its flawless, exactly as carplay should be, even in my 10.5" non-touchscreen ID3 system.

2 other anomolies:
The scroll dial on the steering wheel, doesnt know if its connected to the Headunit or MMI, they both read signals, so you can often find yourself with a phone call going AND the radio blasting through the speakers at the same time - my advice is dont touch the scroll wheel while MMI is active. When MMI isnt active, scroll wheel is fine (change radio staions, flick though play lists on HU no probs.

The other one is camera view. My car has the 360 camera option, so when i go through say a McDonalds drive through for the kids, or really when i'm moving slowly against any surface that is close enough to trigger the cameras (like at traffic lights when a motor bike comes too close or a car) the HU switches the screen to the 360 camera view (no issue with that), PDC beepers go off (no problem) but you loose control of the carplay interface - so you cannot go back to your maps, or audio or phone call unless you turn off 360 camera view or move away from the thing you are close too. You cannot long hold the menu button to bring up the MMI video interface, the camera overrides everything.

Although these things maybe minor to some, it's this level of integration and detail you can only get from a fully integrated system such as NBT EVO - these problems dont exist on my mates 2018 delivered F15 X5 with ID6. however the difference from MMI is thousands of dollars and coding, either or both of which we all most likely have some limitations :-)

Hope that helps.
G

The software update released in June 2020 should fix these issues as it gives better connectivity and the option to change the wifi channel.

This is the latest version:

CUST: v2.0.2.7t0.mmi.b
MCU: 10.6.18.21

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #12
bimmer335xi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Considering the Bimmertech MMI Prime for wireless carplay on a 2014 335 with NBT (ID3). Have looked through most of the existing threads. If you have their MMI PRIME installed in your vehicle, please give me the "buyer beware" shortlist, so I know what to expect in terms of potential drawbacks.

TIA!

PS: I understand that there is cheaper option available; however, having the technical support might be worth the premium.

Similar question here but I'm looking at android auto version. The last thing I need is more headaches. Did you end up getting it? Anyone with an android version and a samsung phone have any warnings to provide? I don't want to sacrifice any current functionality. I have no interest in ever hooking a USB cable to my phone - I would intend to use this wirelessly exclusively.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #13
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer335xi View Post
Quote:

TIA!

Similar question here but I'm looking at android auto version. The last thing I need is more headaches. Did you end up getting it? Anyone with an android version and a samsung phone have any warnings to provide? I don't want to sacrifice any current functionality. I have no interest in ever hooking a USB cable to my phone - I would intend to use this wirelessly exclusively.
I opted not to. Too many issues; including loss of audio quality, flakey connectivity, pop sound when switching between MMI & Idrive etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer335xi View Post
Quote:

TIA!

I can only vouch for the nbt id4 version with AA. Definitely worth it.

The experience with either cic or evo is likely different based on various posts.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 08:04 PM   #15
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I just installed the Carlinkit unit and it's been great. No issues so far. CarPlay loads up right away and no dropouts. I had to remove my glove box to get the unit installed in the cavity by the HU but it was worth it.

Carlinkit Wireless Carplay Kit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Series NBT System, Support iOS 13-14, AirPlay, Multi-Window Screen, Rear View

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YC37KYF...UTF8&psc=1
      12-06-2020, 03:20 PM   #16
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

^Well not a carlinkit thread...but mine bricked during an update to it. Fortunately I bought mine from an amazon seller and returned it. With a black Friday discount I only paid $250 more for the MMI Prime and the firmware is on v. 3.xx now with Bimmertech. I don’t have any of the posters issues. But expecting a completely seamless experiences doesn’t happen even with a lot of stock units. Like my VW. It auto connects but you still have to press the App button to get to the CarPlay or AA screen. Bimmertech box once already in that mode connects and loads wireless with my iPhone max no problems. But if I want a difference source of audio even in my VW I have to press a button and switch off the app CarPlay screen then press the other audio source then switch back to the app CP screen. Not sure what is expected with any system they all work like that. How does it magically know that?

Lastly, just go over and look at the main thread for Andream and carlinkit etc... everybody has problems with their units and get zero support or ripped off from Aliexpress vendors. In addition, the only way to get any of these to work properly except Bimmertechs unit, is relying on some random forum user who is producing a custom firmware update to fix said problems. What are you going to do when that person gives up the ghost and bails on the forum? You are done unless someone else takes up the dev work to produce something, we already know the sellers don’t support the buyers.

Anyway Bimmertech is pricey for a reason. They actually respond to emails and calls and will kick issues up to their devs to try and resolve issues. Never get that with the cheaper units. They are the ones who have resolved and made things work most like stock than anybody else.

Sales pitch over 😁. Kidding have no relation to Bimmertech just enough experience with carlinkit to know it was a waste of my time buying one to save a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:09 PM   #17
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30zoom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL071 View Post
Hi Guys,

2 other anomolies:

Hope that helps.
G

The software update released in June 2020 should fix these issues as it gives better connectivity and the option to change the wifi channel.

This is the latest version:

CUST: v2.0.2.7t0.mmi.b
MCU: 10.6.18.21

Cheers
Bimmertech released v2.0.2.8.mmi.b in October but I understand that they have since released an even newer update. Do you happen to it?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
^Well not a carlinkit thread...but mine bricked during an update to it. Fortunately I bought mine from an amazon seller and returned it. With a black Friday discount I only paid $250 more for the MMI Prime and the firmware is on v. 3.xx now with Bimmertech. I don’t have any of the posters issues. But expecting a completely seamless experiences doesn’t happen even with a lot of stock units. Like my VW. It auto connects but you still have to press the App button to get to the CarPlay or AA screen. Bimmertech box once already in that mode connects and loads wireless with my iPhone max no problems. But if I want a difference source of audio even in my VW I have to press a button and switch off the app CarPlay screen then press the other audio source then switch back to the app CP screen. Not sure what is expected with any system they all work like that. How does it magically know that?

Lastly, just go over and look at the main thread for Andream and carlinkit etc... everybody has problems with their units and get zero support or ripped off from Aliexpress vendors. In addition, the only way to get any of these to work properly except Bimmertechs unit, is relying on some random forum user who is producing a custom firmware update to fix said problems. What are you going to do when that person gives up the ghost and bails on the forum? You are done unless someone else takes up the dev work to produce something, we already know the sellers don’t support the buyers.

Anyway Bimmertech is pricey for a reason. They actually respond to emails and calls and will kick issues up to their devs to try and resolve issues. Never get that with the cheaper units. They are the ones who have resolved and made things work most like stock than anybody else.

Sales pitch over 😁. Kidding have no relation to Bimmertech just enough experience with carlinkit to know it was a waste of my time buying one to save a few bucks.
I also purchased from an Amazon seller and they've been very responsive to questions I had. My unit seems to be updated as well as I am able to switch WiFi channels and have plenty of options in settings menu.

I have had zero dropouts in about a weeks worth of use. The unit connects the second I start the car, Waze and all other apps work flawlessly. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe they updated firmware? Who knows, but I'm happy so far.
      12-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxThe_RemedyXx View Post
I also purchased from an Amazon seller and they've been very responsive to questions I had. My unit seems to be updated as well as I am able to switch WiFi channels and have plenty of options in settings menu.

I have had zero dropouts in about a weeks worth of use. The unit connects the second I start the car, Waze and all other apps work flawlessly. Maybe I got lucky? Maybe they updated firmware? Who knows, but I'm happy so far.
Many people have had good luck with the Amazon/Carlinkit units. The others not so much.

Somebody posted they released a newer update for carlinkit to try and resolve issues for them...so at least they seem to respond when others don't.

I got unlucky with my firmware update for whatever reason and bricked it.

To the other poster 2 posts up, nobody has the fimrware update for the 3.xx Bimmertech. Mine came with the latest I posted a screenshot of in the thread and MCU...otherwise..only Bimmertech has the originals and they will only give those up to resolve specific issues for a customers if there unit is outdated. Or if people have, they don't come on the forums and care I guess to post it.
      12-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #20
gadgetfreak98
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2011 E70

iDrive controller doesn't work after MMI Prime install

Has anyone else encountered this issue? The iDrive controller doesn't work when connected via the MMI Prime wiring harness (no lights, no buttons work, etc.). When I reconnect the original wire not via the BimmerTech MMI wiring harness, it works fine.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any help? I stupidly tried to install this on Christmas Eve day, which means I am not able to get replies from BimmerTech directly, since Christmas went straight into the weekend.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:52 PM   #21
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak98 View Post
Has anyone else encountered this issue? The iDrive controller doesn't work when connected via the MMI Prime wiring harness (no lights, no buttons work, etc.). When I reconnect the original wire not via the BimmerTech MMI wiring harness, it works fine.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any help? I stupidly tried to install this on Christmas Eve day, which means I am not able to get replies from BimmerTech directly, since Christmas went straight into the weekend.

Thanks!
The mmi's quadlock connector is sometimes hard to seat completely into the HU. You may want to check that.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 02:46 PM   #22
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Question, any way to skip to next songs or back while in Carplay. Only way I see is the right scroll wheel, but it also starts to move my WAZE options and highlighting those and you scroll on a heads up display. Not what I was hoping for.

Also, whether I'm using let's say, Music in carplay, that is streaming via Bluetooth setting in the menu, you can't double tap/press the right arrow, it has no effect. Same with music library on the hard drive. Can't seem to get it to skip, or if it is even possible?

Thanks