F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Road bike advice
Extreme Powerhouse

03-30-2020, 08:30 PM   #67
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Time for some decent maintenance. After winter everything is messed up and my brakes not releasing properly.
New push fit BB, chainrings, rear derailleur hanger, cassette, pedals, chain, brake blocks. (Unmount to clean up

Made the foolish error of forgetting that loosey leftie and righty tighty doesn't apply to both pedals. One side is reversed. Combined with torque wrench for removal (set for one way) I managed to mess up pedal thread and it's stuck in spider arm. Trying to drill out old pedal without diamond drill is impossible. So new dura ace crankset cost a few quid!

Work in progress still!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:48 AM   #68
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Yes Dazza, some nice upgrades!
      03-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #69
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Short ride today, only 25 miles - shocking but made up for it with some sprints and a few wicked climbs. The roads are dry, hardly any traffic, visibility good. My intended route was blocked with a load of tractors in some kind of tractor jam queuing up to spray sh it over the fields. I could see them from a distance so took a shorter route / loop trying to avoid cycling head on into this easterly wind that goes right through you and saps your mojo.

My last 10 were on NCN 25 and it was rammed. Each day seems to get busier and I reckon a whole section of the community will come out of this a lot fitter unless there's a further lockdown. Its kind of a good / bad thing but ultimately good I guess. Cycling should be absolutely encouraged, not kicked in the gutter with wrong perceptions its dangerous. I think the media have eased off a bit now and more people are realising its a perfectly acceptable form of exercise as long as they play by the rules- hence the numbers.

Anyway no dramas, no one was hurt, didn't see any cops, everyone appeared to be acting responsibly and adhering to the distancing rules.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      03-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #70
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Short ride today, only 25 miles - shocking but made up for it with some sprints and a few wicked climbs. The roads are dry, hardly any traffic, visibility good. My intended route was blocked with a load of tractors in some kind of tractor jam queuing up to spray sh it over the fields. I could see them from a distance so took a shorter route / loop trying to avoid cycling head on into this easterly wind that goes right through you and saps your mojo.

My last 10 were on NCN 25 and it was rammed. Each day seems to get busier and I reckon a whole section of the community will come out of this a lot fitter unless there's a further lockdown. Its kind of a good / bad thing but ultimately good I guess. Cycling should be absolutely encouraged, not kicked in the gutter with wrong perceptions its dangerous. I think the media have eased off a bit now and more people are realising its a perfectly acceptable form of exercise as long as they play by the rules- hence the numbers.

Anyway no dramas, no one was hurt, didn't see any cops, everyone appeared to be acting responsibly and adhering to the distancing rules.
A short 15 miles for me today. The farmers are definitely out in force! It was lovely in the sun but the wind was cold.

Why is it always windy?

Looking forward to the weekend when it's predicted to hit 16 degrees! The shorts might even come out!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:11 PM   #71
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
A short 15 miles for me today. The farmers are definitely out in force! It was lovely in the sun but the wind was cold.

Why is it always windy?

Looking forward to the weekend when it's predicted to hit 16 degrees! The shorts might even come out!
Haha always notice it on the bike and sometimes it can be depressing as well all know. The old 'March winds, April showers' thing is explained here well at least the March winds thing is . Season of transition apparently but when coming from East or North its ain't fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ndy-reputation

I'm still layered up but hit an uphill today, sheltered from the breeze in full sun and I was suddenly in my own personal sauna.

Last edited by JR1664; 03-31-2020 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 02:46 PM   #72
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why is it always windy?

Haha always notice it on the bike and sometimes it can be depressing as well all know. The old 'March winds, April showers' thing is explained here well at least the March winds thing is . Season of transition apparently but when coming from East or North its ain't fun.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ndy-reputation

I'm still layered up but hit an uphill today, sheltered from the breeze in full sun and I was suddenly in my own personal sauna.
I just thought it's Cambridgeshire, being open farm land there's nothing to stop the wind.

Seems windy out here all year.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #73
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:

Why is it always windy?

Also went out early this evening for a quick one. I saw more tractors than cars.

On the last drag home some loony went past me (and I was doing 20mph) with no helmet on. Dickhead. I will never ride without a helmet and rear flasher - day or night.

Strange though how the pandemic has reduced my average speed. Must be a viral thing.
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 03:40 PM   #74
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Why is it always windy?

Also went out early this evening for a quick one. I saw more tractors than cars.

On the last drag home some loony went past me (and I was doing 20mph) with no helmet on. Dickhead. I will never ride without a helmet and rear flasher - day or night.

Strange though how the pandemic has reduced my average speed. Must be a viral thing.
I saw a teenager out today with his helmet on his handlebars. Just what is the point?

I'll always wear a helmet. I once attended a job where an elderly gentleman came off his bike at a low speed. Hit his head on the kerb and after about 6 weeks in hospital he passed away from the injury. A helmet would have saved his life.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:42 PM   #75
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
I saw a teenager out today with his helmet on his handlebars. Just what is the point?

I'll always wear a helmet. I once attended a job where an elderly gentleman came off his bike at a low speed. Hit his head on the kerb and after about 6 weeks in hospital he passed away from the injury. A helmet would have saved his life.
wow to the OAP..
I guess the teenager was more concerned about his bars..?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #76
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Why is it always windy?

Seems to be Mick (Bloody) George trucks round here...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:05 PM   #77
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I've seen cycling forums implode on the subject of helmets. Some have banned the subject completely or shoved it into a heavily moderated corner that rarely sees the light of day.

I risk assess my cycling and decide if I'm wearing a lid or not. Always do on the road bike but have toured around Europe for a decade without, many thousands of miles up and down mountains, along famous rivers and through the middle of nowhere.

Pop over to the Netherlands and no one wears a lid and the bike is king. Some roadies do. Germany is more lid orientated but rarely in the cities, France is a like a half way house. Its mandatory in Spain however although rarely enforced.

The subject can get extremely moody...more moody than a bimmer off topic forum I assure you
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2020, 04:16 PM   #78
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've seen cycling forums implode on the subject of helmets. Some have banned the subject completely or shoved it into a heavily moderated corner that rarely sees the light of day.

I risk assess my cycling and decide if I'm wearing a lid or not. Always do on the road bike but have toured around Europe for a decade without, many thousands of miles up and down mountains, along famous rivers and through the middle of nowhere.

Pop over to the Netherlands and no one wears a lid and the bike is king. Some roadies do. Germany is more lid orientated but rarely in the cities, France is a like a half way house. Its mandatory in Spain however although rarely enforced.

The subject can get extremely moody...more moody than a bimmer off topic forum I assure you
More moody than the Brexit thread even?

I think in Europe, particularly the Netherlands, car drivers aren't quite so aggressive towards cyclists and give more consideration to them.

My personal opinion is i will always wear one and think kids should get in the habit of it from young so it becomes the norm. But that just my opinion.
Appreciate 2
dazzapb1050.00
      03-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #79
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:

ETTO but no helmet = no ride for me. Same goes for a rear light on. What's one press of a button?

My seven year old won't go on her bike without a helmet and rear flasher - even round the park. I'm quite proud of that.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      03-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #80
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
More moody than the Brexit thread even?

I think in Europe, particularly the Netherlands, car drivers aren't quite so aggressive towards cyclists and give more consideration to them.

My personal opinion is i will always wear one and think kids should get in the habit of it from young so it becomes the norm. But that just my opinion.
Netherlands also has a fantastic cycling infrastructure. If a vehicle is involved in an RTC with a bicycle the vehicle is presumed to be at fault unless proven otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 04:43 PM   #81
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B View Post
ETTO but no helmet = no ride for me. Same goes for a rear light on. What's one press of a button?
That's your choice and at least we have choice.

edit ..apart from some club rides, most organised events etc etc
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 02:56 AM   #82
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Having spent 25+years living in Germany and flipping over to Holland etc i can say that people dont wear helmets because on whole they are not getting killed by trucks and cars like in UK. You are much more aware of cyclist and as a driver if you hit one its almost always your fault. The Police will hammer you for it. They have a better infrastructure with traffic lights just for cyclists and motorists must normally give way. What i noticed about Germany and Holland is alot of the streets were rebuilt after 1945 as citys were totalled, and therefore much wider and better designed for this. We still have trucks trying to turn down Victorian streets in London while sharing the confined space with bikes, cars and pedestrians.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 05:04 AM   #83
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoz View Post
Having spent 25+years living in Germany and flipping over to Holland etc i can say that people dont wear helmets because on whole they are not getting killed by trucks and cars like in UK. You are much more aware of cyclist and as a driver if you hit one its almost always your fault. The Police will hammer you for it. They have a better infrastructure with traffic lights just for cyclists and motorists must normally give way. What i noticed about Germany and Holland is alot of the streets were rebuilt after 1945 as citys were totalled, and therefore much wider and better designed for this. We still have trucks trying to turn down Victorian streets in London while sharing the confined space with bikes, cars and pedestrians.
Likewise I spent a large chunk of my life in Germany and often cycle back there from the UK. My last trip was in September over 1200 miles to Bielefeld and back via Harwich / Hook.

The Netherlands is great but there are still many areas where you share roads, Germany lagging behind them and France way back in the Infrastructure stakes. UK nowhere to be seen. That said I can usually cycle to Harwich or most parts of the UK from the south coast whilst avoiding main roads in the process.

There's a reason many countries won't introduce Helmet compulsion, including Germany and the Netherlands ( who Incidentally suffer many more cycing deaths than the UK- more people cycle obviously) and thats because in countries where people are forced to wear them cycling drops dramatically. Its widely accepted that the benefits of cycling far exceed the need to reduce head Injuries. Its a touchy subject needless to say and lets not forget these plastic lids are only designed to offer protection up to a 12 mph impact.
Appreciate 2
mikeoz2856.00
R0B1535.00
      04-01-2020, 01:32 PM   #84
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Quote:
Likewise I spent a large chunk of my life in Germany and often cycle back there from the UK. My last trip was in September over 1200 miles to Bielefeld and back via Harwich / Hook.

The Netherlands is great but there are still many areas where you share roads, Germany lagging behind them and France way back in the Infrastructure stakes. UK nowhere to be seen. That said I can usually cycle to Harwich or most parts of the UK from the south coast whilst avoiding main roads in the process.

There's a reason many countries won't introduce Helmet compulsion, including Germany and the Netherlands ( who Incidentally suffer many more cycing deaths than the UK- more people cycle obviously) and thats because in countries where people are forced to wear them cycling drops dramatically. Its widely accepted that the benefits of cycling far exceed the need to reduce head Injuries. Its a touchy subject needless to say and lets not forget these plastic lids are only designed to offer protection up to a 12 mph impact.
12mph, oh crap.
      04-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #85
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
12mph, oh crap.
I guess its better than nothing....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #86
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Just ordered 1 of these today from the same place TouringPleb got his from...Thanks again TP for advice..
Oh and upgraded the wheels to Mavic Cosmic Pros...Very nice Carbon weave in them...

Last edited by mikeoz; 04-02-2020 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 4
JustChris17483.00
JR16641146.50
R0B1535.00
      04-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #87
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Just ordered 1 of these today from the same place TouringPleb got his from...Thanks again TP for advice..
Oh and upgraded the wheels to Mavic Cosmic Pros...Very nice Carbon weave in them...

Very nice!

We can be cycling buddies!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 03:14 PM   #88
mikeoz
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Very nice!

We can be cycling buddies!
To be fair we will look like twins, as the bikes are not to dissimilar in colour....Will be a right pair of ....
Poor mans C H I P S..
Appreciate 2
isleaiw18742.50