F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > F1 is back!
proTUNING Freaks

07-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #1
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Well done to BOT for the win today and for LEC for wrestling that dogshit Ferrari onto the podium.

Outstanding result for NOR and McLaren too, shame about ALB being screwed by HAM again though.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 01:27 PM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Hamilton is a petulant little shit. That's twice he's bashed off Albon now. Only getting a 5 second penalty for that was pathetic.
Still happily and hypocritically taking £millions from a company with a questionable history back to his tax exile though.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 2
DB118D1026.00
celsdogg323.00
      07-05-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Who Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
Hamilton is a petulant little shit. That's twice he's bashed off Albon now. Only getting a 5 second penalty for that was pathetic.
Still happily and hypocritically taking £millions from a company with a questionable history back to his tax exile though.
Bashing someone off means intentionally hitting them, look at all the onboards, Hamilton doesn't change his steering angle at all through the corner. It was a risky move by Albon and unfortunately it ended in a collision between the two were Albon came off worse. Look at last years grand prix, Verstappen quite forcefully forced Leclerc off the track at T2, no penalty there. Or T3 Monza 2018 between Hamilton and Vettel, similar situation but the guy on the inside spun, again no penalty.

EDIT: Heck Albon forced Hamilton wide at the same corner near the start of the race, could have ended just as badly if Hamilton didn't pull out of it. The commentator when it happened was right, Albon needed to be more patient.

You drive a car from a company whose history is also questionable. Most German manufacturers that existed in the early 20th century have a questionable past during that period. Doesn't reflect them now. I Don't see you calling yourself out for using their products. When you are in a position to earn the type of money similar to people like Hamilton I doubt you'd be any different, none of us would.

Last edited by Kyuuseishu; 07-05-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 8
BR2725.50
Eddamoo391.00
F20MAW73876.50
zofinger319.00
Eimal22.00
      07-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Bollocks.

Albon carried too much speed into a manoeuvre that if it had come off would’ve been class, but he misjudged the overspeed and ran into Hamilton all on his own. Hamilton neither changed line nor speed so a harsh decision by the stewards.

Neither DC nor Mark Webber saw it as anything other than a racing incident.

Don’t know what race coverage you were watching but Hamilton accepted the penalty, expressed his opinion that it was a racing incident, regretted the collision and wanted to move on to the next race. Not “petulant” as you seem to want to see it.

Last edited by Blacktemplar; 07-05-2020 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post

You drive a car from a company whose history is also questionable. Most German manufacturers that existed in the early 20th century have a questionable past during that period. Doesn't reflect them now. I Don't see you calling yourself out for using their products. When you are in a position to earn the type of money similar to people like Hamilton I doubt you'd be any different, none of us would.
I don't get paid to drive my car and take the £millions to a tax haven because I can't be arsed paying tax whilst wanting statues pulled down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Bollocks.

Albon carried too much speed into a manoeuvre that if it had come off would’ve been class, but he misjudged the overspeed and ran into Hamilton all on his own. Hamilton neither changed line nor speed so a harsh decision by the stewards.

Don’t know what race coverage you were watching but Hamilton accepted the penalty, expressed his opinion that it was a racing incident, regretted the collision and wanted to move on to the next race. Not “petulant” as you seem to want to see it.
Well if it's 'bollocks' have a word with the stewards. He made no attempt to avoid the car that had overtaken him. Thats now the second time he's crashed into Albon in 3 races.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #6
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't get paid to drive my car and take the £millions to a tax haven because I can't be arsed paying tax whilst wanting statues pulled down.
You don't, but you've accepted an item of value in exchange for something, in your case you've received a vehicle in exchange for money. You have funded a company with a questionable history. Hamilton receives money in exchange for his services in securing them prize money. Circumstances are different, theme is the same.

Like I said, go off and earn that type of money and come back and tell us how much you've not paid someone to keep as much of that money as possible. It is pointless acting like you wouldn't do the same.

Considering this a thread on F1 and we already have a thread discussing the current political climate then take your swipes at it in there.
Appreciate 2
Eimal22.00
      07-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #7
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post
You don't, but you've accepted an item of value in exchange for something, in your case you've received a vehicle in exchange for money. You have funded a company with a questionable history. Hamilton receives money in exchange for his services in securing them prize money. Circumstances are different, theme is the same.
Choosing to fund a company is the same as choosing to receive payment from a company? Er, okay. I'll remember to tell that to the next company that I buy a car from. I'm sure they'll agree.

And you're continually avoiding Hamilton's hypocrisy but you knew that anyway.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Choosing to fund a company is the same as choosing to receive payment from a company? Er, okay. I'll remember to tell that to the next company that I buy a car from. I'm sure they'll agree.

And you're continually avoiding Hamilton's hypocrisy but you knew that anyway.
Hamilton effectively funds Mercedes through winning races, thereby winning the constructors championship and the prize fund attached. Mercedes get more monetary value out of Hamilton than they pay him. You've received something of value in exchange for something, I never said it was an identical situation but the theme is the same. That company has benefited financially from your interaction with it. You chose to buy a BMW, Hamilton chose to drive for Mercedes.

I don't quite see why he is being hypocritical in all honesty, you never really explained why he was. Because he is supporting the current political climate whilst working for a team with past links to the Nazi's? That's all I got from your first post.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:23 AM   #9
Chas325
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31 325d MSport

And most German companies who are still around did have links to the Nazi party... or they wouldn't still be around.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:33 AM   #10
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Bollocks.

Well if it's 'bollocks' have a word with the stewards. He made no attempt to avoid the car that had overtaken him. Thats now the second time he's crashed into Albon in 3 races.
Didn't Albon force Hamilton to leave the track, lap 1, turn 1 in similar circumstances as in 'the incident'?

I guess you didn't see that. :
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:40 AM   #11
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Saw the title, expected a Hamilton bashing thread!!

Still amazed the penalty was given, especially as just after the restart, cold tyres and soft vs hard tyres. Not sure HAM had the grip to take a tighter line through that corner, and ALB is going to have to learn quickly where he can take risks. I suspect he felt it was his only chance to get passed as the MERC had superior performance once up and running. Risk/Reward for me, and a racing incident, especially as what was allowed here last year with no punishments.

Restarts should come under the same stewards conditions as starts in my opinion, more leeway due to the proximity of cars and temps of tyres/brakes etc.

HAM accepts penalties all weekend with no arguing and vows to get move on, no appeals etc. Sets up an initiative to strive for equality in the sport with his own money, uses his position to raise awareness; all sounds very petulant to me...

On another note, great weekend for Lando!! Some very exciting young drivers out there, can't wait for the new regulations!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:47 AM   #12
M33DLO
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i MPPSK.

Well that turned sour quick...
I've not watched the race yet, taped it. I'm always a few days behind.

From reading the posts above about the incident, it seems classic Hamilton getting the raw deal, happens all to often... Put into an incident by another driver not reading the situation properly, racing incident follows, HAM gets a penalty, Webber and DC see no fault, HAM deals with it in a mature manner and moves on. I predict his press interviews after were bang on proffesional too.

I don't understand the agro people give Hamilton. In my view he's an excellent driver, there because he proved himself in the early days (and currently) of his racing career, I never see him bend the rules like must drivers, he is so calm behind the wheel and during interviews.

The behaviour (on and off circuit) he repeatedly received a few years back from Rosberg and his questionable racing tactics and blatent cheats, then Vettel with more of the same. He dealt so calmly and still won.
MANY other drivers would have dropped to their levels and played durty too, not Hamilton. Calm as a cucumber.

He gets so much sh1t from F1 fans (and also many non F1 fans) and I just dont see the reasons behind it.

Back on track; What was the Channel4 coverage like? I've always been impressed by the C4 team and look forward to see how they deal with this season too.
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      07-06-2020, 04:17 AM   #13
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Blah blah blah....Still happily and hypocritically taking £millions from a company with a questionable history back to his tax exile though.
So presumably in the interest of balance you’ll be mentioning that other petulant little shit Vettel who crashes into people quite a lot and lives as a tax exile in Switzerland along with Raikkonen? Or perhaps The often outspoken tax-dodger and occasional hothead Verstappen who lives in Monaco, along with Ricciardo and Bottas?

No? Didn’t think so.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 05:23 AM   #14
nickcuprar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport Step Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Didn't Albon force Hamilton to leave the track, lap 1, turn 1 in similar circumstances as in 'the incident'?

The rules state that if the car on the outside is ahead when going round the outside then the inside driver must leave a gap (which hamilton did)

In the lap one incident Hamilton was never ahead and Albon had full justification to run him out of road and lewis knew that and thats why he backed out early.

Im a huge lewis fan but i was absolutely gutted for Albon, I want to see drivers doing those moves especially the young guns on the older drivers. Albon did everything right until he clipped his rear tyre on Lewis'.

Although I want to see this style of racing Albon just needs to chill and get a few podiums under his belt and get the pressure off him. Its only a matter of time untill we see great things from him.

Lando was superb today too and throughly deserves his podium! good to see Mclaren back up there! thats 2/2 for them!

Also did anyone watch C4 coverage? first time i watched it as have had sky in seasons past...... How good is billy monger? He puts alot of pundits to shame especially the BBC lot! Very mature for his age!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #15
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:

Personally I thought Hamilton was a touch unfortunate to get a penalty for the Albon incident. Ok, Albon was slightly ahead when contact was made (Hamilton's left front hit Albon's right rear) but it seemed a very ambitious manoeuvre that was only going to come off if Hamilton jumped out of the way (which you couldn't reasonably expect him to do given they were fighting for position).

To be honest it looked to me a bit like the impetuosity of youth. Hamilton was having to take care of his car due to gearbox issues and Albon was on the better tyres at that stage of the race; therefore, I think Albon could have just waited a touch longer for a better opportunity and had he done so he'd have almost certainly finished second. Hopefully he'll learn from yesterday!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 07:09 AM   #16
SteveChester
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
2014 BMW F82 M4  [0.00]
Really enjoyed the race and I'm so glad F1 is back - I've really missed it!

Think Hamilton's penalty was a tad harsh but probably deserved and I thought he answered the question about it well afterwards - he will move on to the next weekend and win the championship this year.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveChester View Post
Think Hamilton.....will move on to the next weekend and win the championship this year.
I think he (and Mercedes) already look pretty much nailed-on for the Championships again. Yes Bottas will occasionally get the better of Hamilton - as he did yesterday - but doing that consistently across even a potentially shortened season is another matter entirely and personally I don't see it happening. Of the other teams only Red Bull seem to have an outside chance of getting close to Mercedes but again I don't see it happening often enough to provide a real challenge across the season.

So while it's nice to have F1 back for me it's tinged with a bit of disappointment that once again we're likely to have little in the way of serious competition for either the driver or constructor titles. That's certainly not the fault of either Hamilton or Mercedes - you can only beat the opposition that's there - and it's by no means the first time we've had this situation in F1 either. However, I just wish it was a bit more competitive - I didn't find it especially exciting watching Schumacher dominate in a superior car and watching Lewis do something similar feels a bit groundhog day!
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcuprar View Post
Quote:

The rules state that if the car on the outside is ahead when going round the outside then the inside driver must leave a gap (which hamilton did)

In the lap one incident Hamilton was never ahead and Albon had full justification to run him out of road and lewis knew that and thats why he backed out early.
I agree. LH also backed out of a side by side on turn 4 (same corner as the incident) on lap one when he was technically ahead. Any experienced driver (except maybe Vettel ) would know that you have to be clear of the inside car to make a pass there stick. Indeed exactly how Hamilton passed Albon on lap 10.

I just mentioned because someone on here seems to think that Albon was unfairly booted off the track by a petulant Hamilton. I call that a racing incident, although unfortunate for Albon to spin off.

You say Albon could and should have waited, yes, but in the post race interview, he intimated that he had 5 laps of tyre advantage to get past both LH and VB. That's where I blame the RB team. They should have calmed him to do one car at a time rather than the "we can win this!!!" instruction.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #19
Pittcrew
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril Blue 335i Xdrive

Very glad F1 is back and can't wait for MotoGP in a couple of weeks. Thought it was a good race overall. Some notes:

1. Can't wait for the regulations to change. Mercedes has utterly dominated this version of F1. I agree it's not their fault the other teams and manufacturers can't respond, but enough is enough.

2. McLaren has made good progress, it's good to see them near the front again.

3. Was expecting a little better from Williams now they have the Merc engine. It's painful to see them so far back.

4. I thought Hamilton was going to overtake Bottias on both restarts, so good for Bottias for holding on for the win.

5. Even though it's slightly predictable, I've really missed F1 and can't wait for next week!!!
      07-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittcrew View Post
Very glad F1 is back and can't wait for MotoGP in a couple of weeks. Thought it was a good race overall. Some notes:

1. Can't wait for the regulations to change. Mercedes has utterly dominated this version of F1. I agree it's not their fault the other teams and manufacturers can't respond, but enough is enough.

2. McLaren has made good progress, it's good to see them near the front again.

3. Was expecting a little better from Williams now they have the Merc engine. It's painful to see them so far back.

4. I thought Hamilton was going to overtake Bottias on both restarts, so good for Bottias for holding on for the win.

5. Even though it's slightly predictable, I've really missed F1 and can't wait for next week!!!
Unless you use a success ballast formula, you always tend to get one team out front. To me there's nothing wrong with that as there are always mini races throughout the field. The best team deserves to win.

Erm, Williams have had Mercedes engines since 2014.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #21
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Unless you use a success ballast formula, you always tend to get one team out front. To me there's nothing wrong with that as there are always mini races throughout the field. The best team deserves to win.
Indeed so, I've been following F1 for a lot of years now and in most seasons there's tended to be a dominant car (with more often than not the person who ended-up as world champion driving one of them). That said, there have certainly been times when there's been more than one car capable of winning and there have also been occasions where a driver has been crowned world champion despite not having the best car (Prost in 1986 and Schumacher in 1995 are two that spring to mind although I can't think of any recent examples!).

When you have one dominant car, though, to make it interesting you really need two drivers in the team who are of a similar standard and who are allowed to race each other. Again we've seen that in the past - most famously Senna and Prost at McLaren - but when you have one driver who's clearly better than his teammate I think it can get a bit boring. So it was for a large proportion of Schumacher's dynasty at Ferrari and IMO the only person who can beat Lewis at the moment is Lewis....
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #22
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Hamilton is a petulant little shit. That's twice he's bashed off Albon now.
Ooooooh Matron!!!

[IMG]https://media3.giphy.com/media/Ry9UZ...;rid=giphy.gif[/IMG]