F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > m340 touring
GetBMWParts

11-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #111
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
JustChris

As usual for me sorry. So back on the M340i I assume everyone is keeping track of TRLs deals as a value barometer. If not...you probably should.

Link below and some really useful background reading about which options will help you out more in terms of adding to the GFV. Literally nothing for individual paint for example but the nice leather retains 1/3 value etc. ETTO of course:-

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...694f90695ae4e2
Yes, keeping an eye on his website! It will take more than a sub-17% discount to tempt me but as the Touring is a brand new model I'm hoping the level of dealer and manufacturer support will increase in the coming months....
Should reach 20%+ within 12 months. One carwow dealer offered me 10% last week and they're always piss poor.
6 months easily I'd say. BMW pricing is just set unrealistic on purpose to discount.

Easily 20% after 6 months and 3rd Qtr on sale.

Resist and wait it out
Coast2coast already quoting 14% discount on both saloon and touring, so yep, 20%+ from dealer shouldn't be that far down the line
      11-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #112
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
JustChris

As usual for me sorry. So back on the M340i I assume everyone is keeping track of TRLs deals as a value barometer. If not...you probably should.

Link below and some really useful background reading about which options will help you out more in terms of adding to the GFV. Literally nothing for individual paint for example but the nice leather retains 1/3 value etc. ETTO of course:-

https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewto...694f90695ae4e2
Yes, keeping an eye on his website! It will take more than a sub-17% discount to tempt me but as the Touring is a brand new model I'm hoping the level of dealer and manufacturer support will increase in the coming months....
Should reach 20%+ within 12 months. One carwow dealer offered me 10% last week and they're always piss poor.
6 months easily I'd say. BMW pricing is just set unrealistic on purpose to discount.

Easily 20% after 6 months and 3rd Qtr on sale.

Resist and wait it out
Coast2coast already quoting 14% discount on both saloon and touring, so yep, 20%+ from dealer shouldn't be that far down the line
Should work out nicely with mine going back next year.
As I have been letting myself investigate and start going down the rabbit hole the will power will certainly be tested as the deals start coming.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #113
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Who Knows

I am hoping that this drives down the used prices of 340i's. My lease is up in March and wanting to get myself back into one which matches my previous spec as closely as possible!

Most 2016 340i's with a similar spec are sitting around £25k on autotrader. My GFV on mine was £17k by next July!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #114
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post
I am hoping that this drives down the used prices of 340i's. My lease is up in March and wanting to get myself back into one which matches my previous spec as closely as possible!

Most 2016 340i's with a similar spec are sitting around £25k on autotrader. My GFV on mine was £17k by next July!
With dealer margin, that would be on the forecourt at £22k, maybe a deal at £20.5 to £21k. Not a massive further drop...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #115
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Who Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
With dealer margin, that would be on the forecourt at £22k, maybe a deal at £20.5 to £21k. Not a massive further drop...
That would be more inline with what I would be expecting to pay, around the £20k mark. Very few 340i tourings with the sunroof and HUD knocking about which probably doesn't help with the pricing.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #116
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I went to have a proper look at the new G21 on Saturday. Wanted to see if I could go back to a 3 series, I know this is the F30 forum, but for me I found the F31 a bit of a step backwards compared to my E91 and ended up in a 5 series.

But the G21 felt nice, solid again, and definitely something I could live with.

However, then sat in a G31, and do think the size is far easier to live with.

I picked up a set of winter wheels with tyres for the F11 and a set of summer tyres too, all 8 fitted in the back no problem at all. I think I would miss that practicality.

I spoke to someone at BMW Norwich who was in an X3 Performance. I asked him about the ride and he laughed, the reason he was there was to try and get a price on some smaller wheels without run flats, he said the ride was ridiculously bad and was actually spoiling the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #117
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I spoke to someone at BMW Norwich who was in an X3 Performance. I asked him about the ride and he laughed, the reason he was there was to try and get a price on some smaller wheels without run flats, he said the ride was ridiculously bad and was actually spoiling the car.
Was this an X3M Comp? That certainly fits with my experience of spending a day in one!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #118
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Yeah, he said it was really bad, his wife refused to go in it, the kids said they felt sick in the back, and he was 3 weeks into a 4 year deal. He was looking at £7000 hit to get out so was looking at wheel options.

He said they were run flats on it, I was surprised, do they come from the factory on run flats?
I said to buy some proper tyres first, that will probably sort it, but he said it just seemed like the whole damping system was not right, but probably try that before doing anything else as cheapest option.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 11:56 AM   #119
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, he said it was really bad, his wife refused to go in it, the kids said they felt sick in the back, and he was 3 weeks into a 4 year deal. He was looking at £7000 hit to get out so was looking at wheel options.

He said they were run flats on it, I was surprised, do they come from the factory on run flats?
I said to buy some proper tyres first, that will probably sort it, but he said it just seemed like the whole damping system was not right, but probably try that before doing anything else as cheapest option.
At the risk of being flamed alive, why would you run an M car as a family car, especially with younger kids? Why do people do it? Bonkers
      11-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #120
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Quote:
Was this an X3M Comp? That certainly fits with my experience of spending a day in one!
I hope they've got the ride right on the M340i xDrive. I know ride comfort/handling is a personal thing but the M Adaptive suspension, which is standard on the G20/21 M Perf version, has never fully worked for me on my F31 or F36. Sure, it takes the edge off the discomfort of driving on 19" rims with low profile tyres and lower suspension but the cars never felt fully planted to me.
The best suspension compromise across the BMWs I've owned has been 18" rims and M Sport passive suspension - which is not available on the M340i
Trying for an extended test drive..
      11-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #121
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
At the risk of being flamed alive, why would you run an M car as a family car, especially with younger kids? Why do people do it? Bonkers
I think it depends on the M-Car to be honest; my old E46 M3 CS was perfectly acceptable as a daily driver and, while the ride was firm, it certainly wasn't uncomfortably so. My cousin has an M4 CP and, while he chooses not to use it as a daily driver, there's nothing about the ride quality - or the general refinement - that suggests he couldn't.

I think perhaps a more pertinent question is why do people spend so much money without having a proper test drive. I'm mulling over the idea of an AMG Mercedes estate but, given some of the comments about an over-firm ride, no way in the world would I commit to one without an extended test drive across roads I know....
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #122
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I ran an M3 as a family car for years, used the CSL as my main car for nearly 12 months when I sold the 535d Touring and was trying to decide what to get next.

They are fine, if they get it right of course.

I have been trying to find someone who has the X3M on proper tyres, for more info, but can't.
I do wonder if it is a BMW UK decision to put run flats on it that is causing the issues.

On paper the X3 M should be the perfect 'one car does it all' motor, enough space for family duties, adaptive dampers for sportiness and comfort and seriously quick and well handling for when you want to go for a blast.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 12:33 PM   #123
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
I can see why something like an M2 wouldn’t make an ideal family car but in terms of other models why not? My X6 M is our family motor (was originally going for an F10 M5). Bought it as my kids outgrew the 640d Gran Coupe and it not being ULEZ compliant as a 2014 diesel. So after having a 40d engined vehicle an M car naturally ticked a lot of boxes 👍
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
      11-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #124
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I hope they've got the ride right on the M340i xDrive. I know ride comfort/handling is a personal thing but the M Adaptive suspension, which is standard on the G20/21 M Perf version, has never fully worked for me on my F32 or F36. Sure, it takes the edge off the discomfort of driving on 19" rims with low profile tyres and lower suspension but the cars never felt fully planted to me.
The best suspension compromise across the BMWs I've owned has been 18" rims and M Sport passive suspension - which is not available on the M340i
Trying for an extended test drive..
I swapped to 18" wheels on my E46 M3, so much better for UK roads.
Having a bit more sidewall flex is so important, it actually bites into the road on fast corners, on the 19s it skipped about a bit too much. It was the same on the 535d, I went back to 18's on that, non run flats and standard springs, it was spot on.

I was however impressed with the G31 on 19's, that was with the M Sport suspension and on run flats. Seemed to have got it right.

One strange thing I found with the 5GT, was the fact it actually rode better in sport mode, in comfort it seemed to crash more.
That was 20" run flats, when on proper tyres the comfort mode seemed more comfy.
It was weird.

But sidewall flex is so important unless you have a billiard table flat surface to drive on all the time, some of the German roads are lovely and smooth and the runflats and bigger wheels seem far better, but I don't think it suits the UK at all.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #125
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:
Well, it is an X3. If that's not supposed to be suitable for a family, in any form, what is?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #126
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I think perhaps a more pertinent question is why do people spend so much money without having a proper test drive. I'm mulling over the idea of an AMG Mercedes estate but, given some of the comments about an over-firm ride, no way in the world would I commit to one without an extended test drive across roads I know....
One of the problems is that dealers don't always have the spec you want to try. I wanted to test the 540 on both passive and adaptive, but no-one had one with adaptive. As you can't have both M-Sport and adaptive on the G31, I eventually took the plunge and stuck with the M Sport on 19". I'm more than happy with the choice, but had I decided to go adaptive without M-Sport, would have been buying 'blind'
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      11-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #127
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
Well, it is an X3. If that's not supposed to be suitable for a family, in any form, what is?
Fair point, I'm sure the X3 makes a fine family motor.
I always had estates when the kids were growing up but we had dogs too.
I was only commenting on the ride quality of the M's I've been in and driven, not many I'll admit. Fine for short journeys but when I think of the trips we would typically do as a family, an M would have been insufferable... and wasted frankly.
      11-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #128
C320
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo S, X5 40i, XC90 T5

Quote:
I swapped to 18" wheels on my E46 M3, so much better for UK roads.
Having a bit more sidewall flex is so important, it actually bites into the road on fast corners, on the 19s it skipped about a bit too much. It was the same on the 535d, I went back to 18's on that, non run flats and standard springs, it was spot on.

I was however impressed with the G31 on 19's, that was with the M Sport suspension and on run flats. Seemed to have got it right.

One strange thing I found with the 5GT, was the fact it actually rode better in sport mode, in comfort it seemed to crash more.
That was 20" run flats, when on proper tyres the comfort mode seemed more comfy.
It was weird.

But sidewall flex is so important unless you have a billiard table flat surface to drive on all the time, some of the German roads are lovely and smooth and the runflats and bigger wheels seem far better, but I don't think it suits the UK at all.
^ This is so true, I’ve had 20” alloys with run flats on the 640d and prior to that a 530d GT. On most UK roads the ride ‘quality’ was appalling. However my experience on the continent or on freshly surfaced roads in the UK it was a lovely ride quality. Day to day it was far too crashy with the lack of sidewall flex.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:08 PM   #129
Bryans69
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fair point, I'm sure the X3 makes a fine family motor.
I always had estates when the kids were growing up but we had dogs too.
I was only commenting on the ride quality of the M's I've been in and driven, not many I'll admit. Fine for short journeys but when I think of the trips we would typically do as a family, an M would have been insufferable... and wasted frankly.
That would suggest BMW have failed on the Ms. I've always thought it should be like an RS, practical, but as sporty as possible. If it's not practical, then buy a sports car, which will be better as a sports car....

As an aside, I don't get the whole SUV, I think estates offer a better package for a better price, but I know I'm in the minority now. Better head off before I get flamed
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #130
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I have always loved my estates, Audi A4 avant back in 1999, when I was 26. I always just thought estates looked cooler, more like a lifestyle choice.

At 17 you get your 1L hatch.
At 21 you get your Hot Hatch.
At 25 you buy your Coupe.
At 30 you buy an estate for your bikes and boards. Oh, and those things called kids and dogs.
At 40 you get your Porsche.
At 45 you buy your Range Rover.
At 45.5 you swear you will never buy another Land Rover product again.
At 46 you buy a German SUV or another estate.

Who buys the saloon?
The company car driver.
Retired people.
And the odd exception is someone who buys a 7 series, S Class, A8 etc.

Of course I am joking, and to be fair to BMW I think the F30, F10, and new G20 and G30 are actually really good looking saloons, but I always thought the estates looked better until then.

I have had an SUV of some sort for so many years now, I have just sold my Discovery, so the first time I have been without one for as long as I can remember.
I thought I was going to buy another X3 or an X5, however, got an X6 for my old man a few weeks back, and in all honesty I much, much prefer my F11 and now have a proper hankering for an M340i Touring or a G31 540i Touring.

I must admit I loved my TDV8 Range Rover, I have loved my Discoveries, but a Euro 6 RR is out of the question price wise for me, and the Disco 5 I hate the look of, and after driving Fiona's F11 around more recently, done 16k miles in it since April, I have grown to really like it and I have stopped looking at SUVs.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #131
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryans69 View Post
Quote:
One of the problems is that dealers don't always have the spec you want to try. I wanted to test the 540 on both passive and adaptive, but no-one had one with adaptive. As you can't have both M-Sport and adaptive on the G31, I eventually took the plunge and stuck with the M Sport on 19". I'm more than happy with the choice, but had I decided to go adaptive without M-Sport, would have been buying 'blind'
That's a very fair point and when I was choosing my F31 I ran into exactly the same problem. There were no 335d's to try and no demonstrators with adaptive suspension either; I was therefore down to driving both a 330d X-Drive and 435i coupe back to back on passive suspension and taking the salesman's word for it that an X-Drive with adaptive in sport mode would drive in a very similar way to the S-drive on sport suspension. It doesn't quite but as I've still got the car over 5 years and almost 80k miles later I suppose it must have been close enough!

All that said, when you're talking about an M-car I'm not sure there are quite the same range of suspension options available; most come with adaptive as standard and the only change you can spec is usually different wheel/tyre sizes. Therefore, providing you can get the relevant model to try, I don't think there's too much excuse for buying something which you immediately think is unacceptable for your needs as you drive away from the showroom; I suspect the real problem in those situations is the buyer didn't do their homework!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #132
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

This Saturday I pick up a 330d G21 for a 24hr test, it was offered by BMW so thought it would be rude not to accept.

Having recently changed the F31 330d for the F31 340i I would like to see how it compares with the previous and current, not only performance but looking ahead as to space, refinement, ride etc maybe for the future. A little more space would be good so may have a look at the 5 series as well as they do seem good value for money these days.

I'll let you know what I think on the G21
Appreciate 2