F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Adding HK to base audio
Studio RSR

11-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #23
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinhPT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
And some people cannot even read the link they post.....

This is how speakers are damaged by square waves and clipping by using low power amps.

1) Voice Coils burning out

2) Speaker excursion
Read and copied from your link, very beginning part

My car and OP's car has the HU ONLY (no amplifier), it has 4 x 15 W (@4ohm) "that too little power can blow speakers" and:
- If your speakers are capable of handling significantly more than your amplifier can produce, driving them with a clipped signal will not likely hurt them.
- If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is).
Again, the opening statements are proven false in the detailed info that follows in the article.

Read the detailed info beyond the opening paragraphs which ends up disproving the opening assumption.

You are showing your lack of knowledge on this subject by claiming the HU Entry has no amplifier. It's simply integrated in the HU.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:37 PM   #24
MinhPT
Rep
Drives: 218i

Quote:
Again, the opening statements are proven false in the detailed info that follows in the article.

Read the detailed info beyond the opening paragraphs which ends up disproving the opening assumption.

You are showing your lack of knowledge on this subject by claiming the HU Entry has no amplifier. It's simply integrated in the HU.
I am sorry to make you confused, I thought you know about BMW audio.
I meant, the base audio in BMW have no separated amplifier.

IMO, the HU entry can not blow HK or B&O speakers. People may try to replace the speakers in base audio by aftermarket ones without installing a separated amp, like Bavsound stage 1.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 09:52 PM   #25
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:

My car and OP's car has the HU ONLY (no amplifier), it has 4 x 15 W (@4ohm) "that too little power can blow speakers" and:
- If your speakers are capable of handling significantly more than your amplifier can produce, driving them with a clipped signal will not likely hurt them.
- If the speakers can handle 3 or 4 times the power that your amplifier can produce, there's virtually no way to damage your speakers (no matter how clipped the signal is).
It is quite possible for a 15w amp to blow a 30w speaker, but it has nothing to do with whether the signal is clipped or not. Amps are rated for output at a specific low THD percentage, say 0.1% for example. They are usually capable of far more output with higher THD, an additional 6dB being not out of the ordinary. That means a 15w amp running at it's rated THD can produce 60w at high THD, and that can blow a 30w speaker, not because the signal is clipped, but because it's a 60 watt signal. If the speaker was 60w capable it wouldn't be bothered at all, though your ears should be, as very high THD sounds really bad.
There is one circumstance where very high THD/clipping is the norm: electric guitar. Between over driven amps and distortion pedals THD of even 20% isn't unusual. So long as the speakers are rated high enough it doesn't bother them a bit. If clipped wave forms killed speakers guitar players would be swapping them out after every gig.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 11:27 PM   #26
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Quote:

It is quite possible for a 15w amp to blow a 30w speaker, but it has nothing to do with whether the signal is clipped or not. Amps are rated for output at a specific low THD percentage, say 0.1% for example. They are usually capable of far more output with higher THD, an additional 6dB being not out of the ordinary. That means a 15w amp running at it's rated THD can produce 60w at high THD, and that can blow a 30w speaker, not because the signal is clipped, but because it's a 60 watt signal. If the speaker was 60w capable it wouldn't be bothered at all, though your ears should be, as very high THD sounds really bad.
There is one circumstance where very high THD/clipping is the norm: electric guitar. Between over driven amps and distortion pedals THD of even 20% isn't unusual. So long as the speakers are rated high enough it doesn't bother them a bit. If clipped wave forms killed speakers guitar players would be swapping them out after every gig.
Nope.

Speakers can handle higher power with clean sine waves easily.

But feed a Speaker a clipped square wave from an underpowered amp and that's where it destroys itself.

It's roughly the equivalent of timing in a car's engine.

You can blow the engine with too little fuel if the timing is off. Just as you can tear a speaker apart with a malformed clipped sine wave, aka a square wave that is not the smooth sine wave.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #27
MinhPT
Rep
Drives: 218i

Quote:
Nope.

But feed a Speaker a clipped square wave from an underpowered amp and that's where it destroys itself.

You can blow the engine with too little fuel if the timing is off. Just as you can tear a speaker apart with a malformed clipped sine wave, aka a square wave that is not the smooth sine wave.
Hi IK6SPEED, I need the advice from you.
I wanna installed a pre-owned Bimmertech PP86DSP in my car, it is base audio without dedicated amplifier. PP86DSP is provided with harness for HIFI audio (with dedicated amplifier)

I want to DIY the harness, like Y cable, but I don't find the pinout diagram of Bimmertech PP86DSP. Do you have it?

I had asked Bimmertech, but they did not provide it.

I know, I have to code my BMW from base audio to HIFI audio, to set the low level and flat output.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 08:19 PM   #28
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nope.

Hi IK6SPEED, I need the advice from you.
I wanna installed a pre-owned Bimmertech PP86DSP in my car, it is base audio without dedicated amplifier. PP86DSP is provided with harness for HIFI audio (with dedicated amplifier)

I want to DIY the harness, like Y cable, but I don't find the pinout diagram of Bimmertech PP86DSP. Do you have it?

I had asked Bimmertech, but they did not provide it.

I know, I have to code my BMW from base audio to HIFI audio, to set the low level and flat output.
I have no technical info on Bimmertech units.

Sorry.
Appreciate 1
MinhPT3.50
      06-16-2021, 01:34 PM   #29
emir1266
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 316d 2016

Hi,

I've got the base audio in my f30 without the amp. I wondered if i bought the hk mids and tweeters from a scrapyard will it work? And will it be plug and play?

Kind regards?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #30
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Without the higher power of an external amp it would be a waste of time and money.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:06 PM   #31
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I have the HK setup, and personally, I wouldn't waste your money/time putting it in your car. You'd be better off buying better aftermarket speakers, and installing them (even on the base system).
Appreciate 0