F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Need help preventing rims from getting dirty
Studio RSR

06-18-2021, 02:16 PM   #1
CamTaylor11
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i M Sport (Manual)

Need help preventing rims from getting dirty

Does anyone know how what I can do to prevent my rims getting so dirty? I believe it's the brake dust, if so is their anything I can do to stop getting so much dust? I was thinking about getting new brake pads and new slotted and drill rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #2
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

You can apply a good ceramic coating to the wheels, making cleaning much easier. More helpful, in my opinion, is to change the brake pads. BMW makes good pads, but the dust is unreal. I switched to Akebono carbon ceramic pads in the past, which make a huge difference for me (and without any negatives for brake performance).
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #3
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Don't drive the car
Appreciate 2
tex26702400.50
      06-18-2021, 02:29 PM   #4
anielsen71
Major
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F36 435xd

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Don't drive the car
Or don't brake for anyone……

Ex: E46 330d, E91 330dA
Appreciate 2
tex26702400.50
Wires1636.50
      06-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTaylor11 View Post
Does anyone know how what I can do to prevent my rims getting so dirty? I believe it's the brake dust, if so is their anything I can do to stop getting so much dust? I was thinking about getting new brake pads and new slotted and drill rotors.
The stock brake pads are only average for performance and they put out gobs of sticky black dust. But as soon as you complain about dust people will chime in telling you to get ceramic pads like Akebono.

Don't do it. They have only average performance and ceramic pads need to warm up to braking temperature before they work. (Not talking about air temperature here). So jump into the car after it's been sitting for a while and you might rear end someone at the first stop sign.

Get Hawk 5.0 pads for street use. Best bite and low dust.

Don't get anything slotted or dimpled. They are noisy and not more than average. Best street rotors are fully Crossdrilled which is why BMW puts them on M3/M4. I recommend StopTech Crossdrilled.

If you tell me what year & model car and Grey or blue brake calipers I have part numbers

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 4
      06-18-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
Trossuk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 430i

Here in the UK we are fortunate to have EBC Redstuff pads. Far superior to the OEM. Less dust, by a lot. Good performance from cold. Not expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:29 PM   #7
CamTaylor11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
The stock brake pads are only average for performance and they put out gobs of sticky black dust. But as soon as you complain about dust people will chime in telling you to get ceramic pads like Akebono.

Don't do it. They have only average performance and ceramic pads need to warm up to braking temperature before they work. (Not talking about air temperature here). So jump into the car after it's been sitting for a while and you might rear end someone at the first stop sign.

Don't get anything slotted or dimpled. They are noisy and not more than average. Best street rotors are fully Crossdrilled which is why BMW puts them on M3/M4. I recommend StopTech Crossdrilled.

If you tell me what year & model car and Grey or blue brake calipers I have part numbers

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
I have a 435i 2016 m sport Manual with blue calipers. Also I didn't want them dimpled I wanted full drilled holes. Is "dimpled" just another name for fully drilled rotors or is it totally different as in they aren't drilled all the way through?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:05 PM   #8
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

CamTaylor11, if your vehicle has M Sport blue calipers fitted at the time of manufacturing, the rotors are smooth - no dimples or slots.

Dimpled - refers to literally circular dimples on the rotor surface.

Drilled - refers to holes which are drilled all the way through.

Slotted - refers to linear or curved slots on the rotor surface (dimples with a different geometry).

johnung advice is spot on. Smooth BMW OEM M Sport rotors (front 370x30, rear 345x24) are more than enough for daily driving. You also don't need to purchase BMW OEM rotors. Zimmerman makes the same 2-piece rotors under Formula F Coat Z name at a lower price. I just replaced all 4 rotors with these rotors. Brake pads, brake wear sensors, and brake lines (stainless steel) were also replaced at the same time.

If the goal is to make rotors look better (as the only opinion that matters is yours), there are many choices in every price range.

What's your budget?
Appreciate 2
      06-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

Black wheels! And they are wheels, not rims, unless you mean only the outer lip that holds the tire in place is getting dirty and the rest of the wheel is pristine (which would be cool if true).
2013 Mazda 3 6MT
2008 Honda Oddyssey
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
CamTaylor11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
CamTaylor11, if your vehicle has M Sport blue calipers fitted at the time of manufacturing, the rotors are smooth - no dimples or slots.

Slotted - refers to linear or curved slots on the rotor surface (dimples with a different geometry).

johnung advice is spot on. Smooth BMW OEM M Sport rotors (front 370x30, rear 345x24) are more than enough for daily driving. You also don't need to purchase BMW OEM rotors. Zimmerman makes the same 2-piece rotors under Formula F Coat Z name at a lower price. I just replaced all 4 rotors with these rotors. Brake pads, brake wear sensors, and brake lines (stainless steel) were also replaced at the same time.

If the goal is to make rotors look better (as the only opinion that matters is yours), there are many choices in every price range.

What's your budget?
Yeah I wanted to get new rotors just for appearance cause the smooth ones just don't cut it for me lol. But at the same time I wanted to replace my pads because of all the dust that is left on my from rims. I wanted true slotted rotors and not the dimpled rotors. Are the rotors that you are referring to slotted or drilled is so can I see some pics? As for my price range I'm trying to spend anywhere between $300-500 for some good quality rotors.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #11
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Yeah I wanted to get new rotors just for appearance cause the smooth ones just don't cut it for me lol. But at the same time I wanted to replace my pads because of all the dust that is left on my from rims. I wanted true slotted rotors and not the dimpled rotors. Are the rotors that you are referring to slotted or drilled is so can I see some pics? As for my price range I'm trying to spend anywhere between $300-500 for some good quality rotors.
4 Zimmermann 2-piece rotors (M Sport sizes as mentioned earlier) were about $580.

Crossed drilled rotor options from Turner: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW...d-rotors-discs

I would venture to say that spending less than $500 for 4 quality rotors would be difficult. I highly recommend to limit the selection to well established companies: Brembo, Stoptech, Zimmerman, EBC to name a few.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

What's your budget?
Here are the StopTech Crossdrilled rotors than I recommend. Great bite and excellent in rain because water can't trap between pad and rotor surfaces. StopTech have left and right part numbers because they have directional internal vanes for optimal cooling.
Appreciate 1
fe7565528.50
      06-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #13
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What's your budget?
Here are the StopTech Crossdrilled rotors than I recommend. Great bite and excellent in rain because water can't trap between pad and rotor surfaces. StopTech have left and right part numbers because they have directional internal vanes for optimal cooling.
Photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 07:28 PM   #14
alex0607
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 & E60

I kept my newly purchased 19" alloy in a good condition as much as possible avoiding kerbs and potholes. The one thing I hate most is kerb rash. Last week it happened after owning it for 6 months. It's inevitable and in the end the new alloywill just become a used set of banged up wheels. The dust is the least of my concern.

What you can do though is go with dark or black coated or painted wheels. You won't notice the dust as much.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:25 AM   #15
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

Dust is the byproduct of stopping. Slotted rotors will increase dust from what I hear and as mentioned, blanks work just fine.

I wouldn't worry about the looks of something hiding behind the wheel--maybe you could spend your time treating your gaskets to gummi pflege instead?

Please read a lot of brake threads--seeing the downsides to low-dusting ceramic pads I have stayed religiously OE compound--found on Textar pads...my pad of choice and BMW's also.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 2
cfm56d7b5849.00
dmanb2b2121.50
      06-19-2021, 05:52 AM   #16
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Black rims are no different than any other color, you see the dust. If I had to buy another set of rims, I'd still probably go with black, but I'd try to find something that's designed without and hard corners/pockets for the dust/dirt to really collect in.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:25 AM   #17
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

You just need new pads. I went to the EBC Red Stuff pads which substantially reduced my brake dust.

Typically the more dust the better the pads recover from hard braking (since you are wearing off a layer), and the better ability to stop when they are cold (99% of your street driving).

All pads are rating for grip / temperature for grip / etc. Ceramic are great for the track, but you need to get them up to temperature to be effective. Something that never happens around town, so their bite is a lot less.
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      06-19-2021, 11:11 AM   #18
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Don't drive. Otherwise, wash frequently.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #19
quakerroatmeal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Biggest thing would be getting new brake pads like others suggest. You might not like how those pads feel though. I would rather have better feel for brakes over brake dust. I wash and clean my car weekly anyways. If it's a pain in the butt to clean invest in some good cleaning brushes/chemicals that clean brake dust or wheels that don't have a lot of spokes and are fat.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 10:24 AM   #20
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Hey johnung

Can you recommend street pads for a 435i with 370mm rotors? Just want good street performance without the dust.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 07:24 AM   #21
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Hey johnung

Can you recommend street pads for a 435i with 370mm rotors? Just want good street performance without the dust.
I recommend the Hawk 5.0 pads. Best street pad by far. If you have a 435i with blue calipers then you have front 370mm and rear 345mm. Part numbers are in the attached photo.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #22
BMWF212021
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F21

Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
Or don't brake for anyone……
hahaah my motto until got 6 points in one night lads
Appreciate 0