F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 or BM3 for daily driving plan on going fbo
proTUNING Freaks

05-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #23
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRam24 View Post
Seba77W i know there are free maps with the bm3. How much are the maps on mhd. I cant really find any info other than its cheaper. Im just wondering if i buy the bm3 and $50 for all the ots maps would that be easier than buying 1 map at a time with mhd
So the MHD pricing brakes down like this

$249 for Flasher license

Then your choice of 3 stages plus a E20 map all include different octane ratings 91,93,95,E20 included in price.

Stage 1 -$99
Stage 2 -$99
Stage 2+- $99
E20 Stage 1,2 or 2+ $99
and the logging monitor $99

So honestly if you're FBO you pay $250 for license then either $99 for stage 2 or 2+ and it's $350 all in.

Add $99 and you get then logging monitor.

Stock cars can run Stage 1 maps without issues.

Stage 2 requires either intercooler or down-pipe

And stage 2+ requires both intercooler and down-pipe, plus I would strongly advise on a Charge pipe with any tune.
      05-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #24
JRam24
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i Estoril Blue M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post

$249 for Flasher license

Then your choice of 3 stages plus a E20 map all include different octane ratings 91,93,95,E20 included in price.

Stage 1 -$99
Stage 2 -$99
Stage 2+- $99
E20 Stage 1,2 or 2+ $99

So honestly if you're FBO you pay $250 for license then either $99 for stage 2 or 2+ and it's $350 all in.

And stage 2+ requires both intercooler and down-pipe, plus I would strongly advise on a Charge pipe with any tune.
Dang that’s half the price of bm3...I know I said price is not a concern but if they are pretty much equal on all fronts except price it would be silly to pay more.

I’m interested in opinions to why one should pay nearly double for bm3?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
Marlinman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Dang that’s half the price of bm3...I know I said price is not a concern but if they are pretty much equal on all fronts except price it would be silly to pay more.

You shouldn't....you should get MHD if that's the case. And BM3 isn't "proven", they've only been out for maybe 1-1.5 years more than MHD. BM3 also doesn't offer "free" maps. You still buy maps and it is the upgrades or changes to the OTS maps that are free. Either is a good choice.

JB4 stacked with MHD is also great to work with.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 05:41 PM   #26
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

To be honest the reason I went with MHD is because at the time it was pretty much the only Flash option available even tho I joined the beta test all you had to do is email them and you were in. BM3 was still a full DME unlock at the time and that wasn't really an option for me. I think the biggest difference is MHD is just in its infancy for the F series N55 platform whereas BM3 has a larger following and support. And access to more custom tuning. Basically if you're looking for some more power that won't brake the bank and is extremely user friendly and dummy proof you can choose MHD. And if you're hoping to upgrade your turbo and run a custom tune for high HP output then you should probably choose BM3.
I think at the price point it's for the more advanced user. Not to say you can't just run a OTS map with just a few bolt ons with BM3 however if that's all you're doing then you might as well go with MHD. Like I said any of the two is a great choice it just depends on the goal you have in mind for your car.
      05-17-2018, 05:47 PM   #27
bobalis
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F33 N55

I don’t think you can go wrong either way (bm3 vs mhd). I went with bm3 because they were the only flash tune out at the time. I have the same car as you as well as fbo and the bm3 has been great. I drive around 15-17k miles a year and I’ve had no issues either. Whichever you choose, you won’t regret it!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #28
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys! I think I’m going to go with the mhd since I’m not going to be getting into custom tunes or upgrading the turbo. (I’m not smart enough for that) it seems everyone is in agreement that both are awesome it just boils down the extent I will build the car and if I will utilize the full spectrum of the bm3’s features. Which I don’t think I will. If for some reason my build outgrows mhd I can always get bm3 later. I feel as time goes on so will the capabilities and features of mhd. I think mhd is the route for me. THANK YOU to everyone who has chimed in...I knew f30post was place to turn to!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #29
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Now I just need to find out who is going to give me the best package deal on all the parts! I’m going to buy them in 4 days! I’m so excited
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #30
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Now I just need to find out who is going to give me the best package deal on all the parts! I’m going to buy them in 4 days! I’m so excited
Well I got a great deal on my ER Intercooler ER Charge pipe and Fabspeed high flow cat from Mike at X-PH.com
      05-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #31
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post

JB4 stacked with MHD is also great to work with.
What is the advantage to using both? Other than using meth and safety features.

If I was to go with MHD I would have to legitimize it---I would prefer not to just sell off my jb4 if there is a good use for it.
      05-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #32
Marlinman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
What is the advantage to using both? Other than using meth and safety features.

If I was to go with MHD I would have to legitimize it---I would prefer not to just sell off my jb4 if there is a good use for it.
There is a whole FAQ related to why they work well together at N54tech.com, most of which, when it comes to details escape me since I'm no tuner. BUT, for me I enjoy still having on the fly map switching and I retained the ability to capture logs without purchasing MHD logging (log through JB4). The BEFs are free through BMS and I felt they have provided a wayyyy better increase in driveability of the car (as does many a flash tune). Also, if I want to get rid of the JB4 down the road I can and go full flash but for the moment with upgraded turbo, without getting a custom only flash tune, this is a great way for me to explore the power.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #33
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
There is a whole FAQ related to why they work well together at N54tech.com, most of which, when it comes to details escape me since I'm no tuner. BUT, for me I enjoy still having on the fly map switching and I retained the ability to capture logs without purchasing MHD logging (log through JB4). The BEFs are free through BMS and I felt they have provided a wayyyy better increase in driveability of the car (as does many a flash tune). Also, if I want to get rid of the JB4 down the road I can and go full flash but for the moment with upgraded turbo, without getting a custom only flash tune, this is a great way for me to explore the power.
I did read that FAQ a while ago and it struck me as a sales pitch for a product (jb4) that is seeing stiff competition. I can't see anyone really going out and buying a jb4 and flash tune based on that info.

As for changing maps on the fly, I leave mine on 5 as i have found very little difference with the maps.

Since its rare to see someone using jb4 anf flash nowadays, I was just wondering if you noticed any performance differences.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 10:57 AM   #34
badbread
not good, but bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
badbread Have you run into any probs with mhd?
No, no problems at all. See all the links in my sig for my full experience with it, it's been solid so far, no complaints.

I went the JB4 route initially and had no issues with it running map 1/5. Something did however kill my MAF sensor when using the JB4 and I feel like it may have been related to the JB4 as other members had the exact same issue when they removed their JB4's. This was fixed with a new MAF sensor.

You just can't compare the power delivery (smoothness) on a flash tune vs piggyback, the flash tune is leaps and bounds above in that department. Another pro for a flash tune is all the DME safeties, the DME is seeing exactly what is going on and no numbers are being fudged therefore IMO it's a much safer option.
JRam243.50
      05-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #35
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

If you add all the things you get with bm3 on the mhd side I don’t think you’ll see much of a difference plus if you later move on you can sell your bm3 license to someone else and get money back for it. They’re the only flash that provide that option so in the long run bm3 actually ends up cheaper and right now has more features built all right into it. I’d do a JB4 for like meth or for ethanol secondary injection but not sure yet if I want to complicate life with all that on there. I’ve also seen a jb4 car here with weird electrical issues with one of the sensors I think tmap shorting out which sucks, just don’t want to mess with that harness and crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 12:15 PM   #36
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:

$249 for Flasher license

Stage 1 -$99
Stage 2 -$99
Stage 2+- $99
E20 Stage 1,2 or 2+ $99

Just thought I'd add this as a general FYI to all but I had done research on the Stage 2 vs. Stage +2 as I was on the fence about getting a FMIC on top of the DP and didn't want to shell out another $99 down the line but if you purchase Stage 2, it comes with Stage +2.

"*The Stage 1 map pack contains Stage 1 and Stage 1+ maps with all available octane variants.The Stage 2 map pack contains Stage 2 and Stage 2+ maps with all available octane variants."
Appreciate 1
Seba77W401.00
      05-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #37
JRam24
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Just thought I'd add this as a general FYI to all but I had done research on the Stage 2 vs. Stage +2 as I was on the fence about getting a FMIC on top of the DP and didn't want to shell out another $99 down the line but if you purchase Stage 2, it comes with Stage +2.

"*The Stage 1 map pack contains Stage 1 and Stage 1+ maps with all available octane variants.The Stage 2 map pack contains Stage 2 and Stage 2+ maps with all available octane variants."
Helpful info...thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #38
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
To be honest the reason I went with MHD is because at the time it was pretty much the only Flash option available even tho I joined the beta test all you had to do is email them and you were in. BM3 was still a full DME unlock at the time and that wasn't really an option for me. I think the biggest difference is MHD is just in its infancy for the F series N55 platform whereas BM3 has a larger following and support. And access to more custom tuning. Basically if you're looking for some more power that won't brake the bank and is extremely user friendly and dummy proof you can choose MHD. And if you're hoping to upgrade your turbo and run a custom tune for high HP output then you should probably choose BM3.
I think at the price point it's for the more advanced user. Not to say you can't just run a OTS map with just a few bolt ons with BM3 however if that's all you're doing then you might as well go with MHD. Like I said any of the two is a great choice it just depends on the goal you have in mind for your car.
Any tuner who can tune a BM3 car should also be able to tune an MHD car. The tables used for tuning are all the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #39
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsm87 View Post

Any tuner who can tune a BM3 car should also be able to tune an MHD car. The tables used for tuning are all the same.
Yes. However after talking with Paul from P&L Motorsports about a custom tune with MHD. He said sure you can do it but the tuner needs to shell out the $ to have the correct software. He says for him it's not worth it just for one car.
      05-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #40
bradsm87
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25 LCI xDrive30d

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes. However after talking with Paul from P&L Motorsports about a custom tune with MHD. He said sure you can do it but the tuner needs to shell out the $ to have the correct software. He says for him it's not worth it just for one car.
Holy hell. If a tuner says that, go somewhere else. They just need to get the public XDFs from Martial at MHD for free and use free TunerPro software. Most tuners prefer that over BM3's proprietary software. MHD custom tuning has never required anything but free software.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 07:08 PM   #41
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Holy hell. If a tuner says that, go somewhere else. They just need to get the public XDFs from Martial at MHD for free and use free TunerPro software. Most tuners prefer that over BM3's proprietary software. MHD custom tuning has never required anything but free software.
Yea I don't know what that was about.
      05-18-2018, 08:30 PM   #42
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
My tuner tried Tuner Pro. It looks so shitty like it was made in the early 90s before internet LOL he uses a tool called winols and then I just flash that with bm3. I started learning some stuff myself with the bm3 tune editor, its honestly so easy to use but I’m still maybe at 10% of what all the tables do. I’m sure this stuff takes a ton of time to figure out let alone be an expert at it. Its pure sorcery.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #43
BMWcurious
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMWs

TunerPro is a really good program, but it uses Win32 user interface which is not modern looking. However, it is very fast, lightweight and full of functions. Some of these far surpass WinOLS as I found when trying to select something that can handle realtime tuning where TunerPro RT is far better despite something like $30 vs over $1500 for WinOLS. People dismiss it on appearance and miss out on an amazing piece of software that is solid and unique.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #44
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

I tried Bm3 first because I didn’t have an android device but apparently my dme was to outdated for bm3 to unlock and told me I needed to update my I level. I switched to mhd with no issue unlocking and running stage 1. I’ll be putting my DP back on in a few days and going stage 2+. Can’t wait. So far MHD has worked perfect.
Appreciate 2
Seba77W401.00
JRam243.50