F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AWE Carbon Fiber S-FLO CAI
proTUNING Freaks

07-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #1
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i MSport

AWE Carbon Fiber S-FLO CAI Questions

I'm wondering if anyone on here has the AWE Carbon Fiber S-FLO CAI installed on the 328i, if so I have some questions.

1. There seems to be some controversy on whether cold air intakes boost the performance of your car or if they actually decrease the performance of your car. A lot of people say the stock air box is the way to go. That being said, AWEs intake is pretty much the same design as the stock air box except carbon fiber and it has a cone filter. If it's basically the same design, does it really hinder the performance?

2. How well does the carbon fiber construction handle heat? Does it have better heat resistance than the stock plastic box or would the carbon fiber mean less heat resistance.

3. Would a tune of some sort make a cold air intake usable?

Additionally, I have the AWE full catback touring exhaust with the performance mid pipe in case that would make any difference on the CAI. Anyone can post their input on this.

I'm really interested in this CAI and just want to be sure it would a good purchase.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

We dynod the 228 multiple times and the car made more hp with the injen intake than the AWE cf intake. I wouldn't spend the money again on the cf intake. It's really nice eye candy though

I had multiple tunes on this car and even blew up the motor once.
afe scorcher module
jb4 with multple custom maps
gsr technique tune

Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol
We dynod the 228 multiple times and the car made more hp with the injen intake than the AWE cf intake. I wouldn't spend the money again on the cf intake. It's really nice eye candy though

I had multiple tunes on this car and even blew up the motor once.
afe scorcher module
jb4 with multple custom maps
gsr technique tune

I hear a lot of people say that the stock air box is the best way to go when it come to cold air intakes and that after market intakes actually make the car slower. So what's your take on the intakes? Do they only work if they're are a legit intake or would a tune be needed in order for any intake to work?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
e46m3lol
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 FBO, E70 X5D, W204 C63 FBO

My experience will differ from yours and many others here on the forum as only a handful of people have an upgraded turbo like myself.

We dynod the car multiple times both with and without the upgraded turbo and we found out that the best solution for hp increase with the upgraded turbo with the injen intake I'm assuming because it is more exposed and allows more airflow than the sealed systems.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My experience will differ from yours and many others here on the forum as only a handful of people have an upgraded turbo like myself.

We dynod the car multiple times both with and without the upgraded turbo and we found out that the best solution for hp increase with the upgraded turbo with the injen intake I'm assuming because it is more exposed and allows more airflow than the sealed systems.
So it did make more power without the upgraded turbo?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #6
ACR3597
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Also, is the injen intake made of metal?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post

Not surprised by the results at all
open intake will give you more air

On stock turbos, closed intake might be enough so replacing it with an open intake might be the same performance wise

With upgraded turbos you are going to need max air which is why an open intake is the better option

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #8
lefthander
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46m3lol View Post

Did injen intake more more power on stock turbo with stage 2 tune?
Appreciate 0