F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > 330D xDrive GT Test Drive
proTUNING Freaks

11-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #1
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Cosmic EP3 Type R

330D xDrive GT Test Drive

Hi all,

Just had a test drive in a 330D xDrive GT M Sport (running M Sport + pack). I currently drive a 330D sDrive Saloon SE and the GT doesn't feel lacking in any way compared to it. Plus I was really pleasantly surprised with how good the car looked in the flesh.

It was in Alpine White with Black Dakota. Had the Business Nav, not Professional and personally I am pleased to be ordering the Professional (it's also what I am used to in my current car). The M Sport + wheels and brakes looked great and the whole package really seemed to work from my point of view.

The xDrive didn't seem to have too much of an effect on my drive (was going relatively soft) but there is a feeling of slightly less immediacy to the car moving off and picking up compared to my sDrive. Kind of feels like 'clutch slip' but that might be down to such a tight new engine bedding in... my sDrive now has 6.5K on it whereas the GT had 48 miles on it so is still very tight!
When you do gun it on wet cold roads you naturally expect the back to step out a little as it does in my sDrive but there is none of that at all - exactly what xDrive is for.

Very excited to be confirming my order on Monday and the last piece of detail I need to make sure on is go 330D or 335D...

My order spec:

Glacier Silver
Coral Leather
Brushed Alu Trim/ High-gloss Black Finisher
M Sport+
Professional Media
Visibility Pack
Extended Storage
Lumbar Support
Heated Front Seats
Adaptive M Sport Suspension

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
J.Bradders
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3GT 330D xDrive MS+

The car you test drove is more or less the same as what I have ordered. Was good to read your small review as I haven't even test drove a GT . Which one have you decided to go for 330D or 335D?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 05:56 AM   #3
markbridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW; 2017 M-B SL450

Great color combination. I, too, went with the Glacier Silver/Coral and am very happy with it. I seriously would have considered the diesel if it were offered here in the States.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 06:20 AM   #4
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bradders View Post
The car you test drove is more or less the same as what I have ordered. Was good to read your small review as I haven't even test drove a GT . Which one have you decided to go for 330D or 335D?
Funnily enough I nearly took the exact car I was test driving on from Gateway2Lease through a deal they had on a remaining stock car... it just so happened that the car that my BMW dealership had requested for me to test drive was the stock car G2L were looking to lease on PCH!

The one thing it had that my order won't is the Pano Roof. I really like it but with two small kids (one is just over 2 years and a baby coming in April) I don't think I will make as much of it if it was just me and my wife, so I will probably opt for the 335 instead of the Pano Roof (do I really need either? No, but this is man logic we're dealing with!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbridge View Post
Great color combination. I, too, went with the Glacier Silver/Coral and am very happy with it. I seriously would have considered the diesel if it were offered here in the States.
Glad you're happy with yours Mark! I think it will work well on the GT. Was very interested in having a bold colour like Melbourne Red or EBII but looking at pictures and renderings I was happier with the balance of Glacier and it complemented the Coral nicely.

The 6 cylinder diesels are superb engines and work really well with the Sports Auto. Love the 30D in my current F30 and I think the 335 might just pip it in the engine stakes too - the slight worry is low MPG but I am sure I will deal with it. Very excited
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep

Just to update - 335d just finalised on order. It ended up being £10 more a month on PCP than the 330d, and my calculated fuel differential between the two is a maximum of £500 for the year which I can easily live with!

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
J.Bradders
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3GT 330D xDrive MS+

I would pick a 335D over a 330D if I had the choice, the 330D picked me as it was the best deal at the time

Congrats on the 335D, any idea on how long until delivery? Mine is delayed till the end of December due to M Sport Brakes!

Also congrats on your expected baby! Welcome back to the night feeds and making bottles! I do recommend a Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Machine to help with that
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
KneeDragr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)

I wish we had those big diesels in the USA. Big torque and Fuel Economy are where its at, all the 0-60 stuff is pretty meaningless in a tourer like this.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
rokut
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Bradders View Post
I would pick a 335D over a 330D if I had the choice, the 330D picked me as it was the best deal at the time

Congrats on the 335D, any idea on how long until delivery? Mine is delayed till the end of December due to M Sport Brakes!

Also congrats on your expected baby! Welcome back to the night feeds and making bottles! I do recommend a Tommee Tippee Perfect Prep Machine to help with that
To be perfectly honest the 330 will not be lacking in any way! I could have easily gone for it and been very happy. Just happens that the 335 was affordable and I've got a bit carried away!

Currently it looks like mid-late Jan but not had that confirmed yet. Should have some more information by Weds.

Yeah - I have a girl already and another girl is on the way! Think this is it at two kids though, that will be enough for us The jet lag from my new global travel will either work wonderfully or terribly with the new baby when she's here :S haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
I wish we had those big diesels in the USA. Big torque and Fuel Economy are where its at, all the 0-60 stuff is pretty meaningless in a tourer like this.
For sure - the torque is addictive but I do miss being able to hold onto gears and rev into the sky with a petrol! 0-62 in 4.9 for the 335 ain't too shabby either - massively helped by AWD and auto box though...
Appreciate 0