F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Brexit... (Moderator: non-political only, effective Sept 2020)
proTUNING Freaks

08-21-2020, 01:46 PM   #2047
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
2 and 3, not 1.
Note the time and date, we agree on something.... Worst PM the country has had in a long time - and we have had some shit recently!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #2048
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
2 and 3, not 1.
Note the time and date, we agree on something.... Worst PM the country has had in a long time - and we have had some shit recently!
Worst cabinet in his thirty six years in politics, according to Sir Nicholas Soames. He's not very complimentary about BJ either ... and neither should he be, BJ's a lazy, entitled, incompetent c**t
      08-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #2049
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodmordenLad View Post
Worst cabinet in his thirty six years in politics, according to Sir Nicholas Soames. He's not very complimentary about BJ either ... and neither should he be, BJ's a lazy, entitled, incompetent c**t
Slightly surprised Boris felt it appropriate to be on holiday while all the flack on A-level and GCSE results has been flying!

He had a resounding win back in December and at the time I said that, given the size of his majority, Labour would probably struggle to unseat him in 5 years time unless he made a real mess of things; well, looks like he's in the process of doing exactly that....
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #2050
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Just read an article on the immigrants and our powers to send them back to France, or wherever they entered from in the EU. Basically we can’t after the transition period.

Seems fair to me. Yet our government thinks the EU are being unfair not including it as a given in negotiations.

Why should we be able to send them back? Even from within the EU the regulation is unfair, it penalises Southern European countries or those with long borders and coasts.

We’ve been lucky and protected up to now. I guess our EU votes that kept that piece of legislation working in our favour have now gone.

The irony of Nigel Farage bleating about an invasion of Kent would be funny if it weren’t so ridiculous.

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 08-21-2020 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 04:48 PM   #2051
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
They don’t.
Discrimination...

Look at these...
Black wheels on a black car? Looks like a drug dealer's starter car
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18778.00
      08-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #2052
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Slightly surprised Boris felt it appropriate to be on holiday while all the flack on A-level and GCSE results has been flying!

He had a resounding win back in December and at the time I said that, given the size of his majority, Labour would probably struggle to unseat him in 5 years time unless he made a real mess of things; well, looks like he's in the process of doing exactly that....
Don't be surprised, that's the nature of the beast. Here's an assessment of BJ by Max Hastings, historian and former editor of The Telegraph, written before he became PM. The article has aged well.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-party-britain
      08-22-2020, 04:21 AM   #2053
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Black wheels on a black car? Looks like a drug dealer's starter car
I'd say happy wife, happy life! None of it was my choice...but when I sold it people were queuing up for it because of the look!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 04:23 AM   #2054
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Do you really think Boris will be leader of the Tories at the next election? He is such an unreliable and untrustworthy shite, I cant believe he wont get thrown out before then...especially if Starmer is doing OK and the Tories reckon they need someone new...
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      08-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #2055
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Do you really think Boris will be leader of the Tories at the next election? He is such an unreliable and untrustworthy shite, I cant believe he wont get thrown out before then...especially if Starmer is doing OK and the Tories reckon they need someone new...
My opinion is hell definitely be in charge. He’s mainly surrounding himself by cronies and removing the power of people in senior positions.

There might be the odd rebel, but I think he’ll have cemented his position well enough to defend an in party challenge. And I don’t think enough people in the party will really be up for yet another leadership change.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 07:04 AM   #2056
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Following the election result in December I said Boris and his government needed to be only somewhere near competent to be re-elected on the basis majorities of the size he won are not often over-turned in one term; however, they're not managing to be even vaguely competent at the moment so yes, I can now see that majority being over-turned in 2024. And given how ruthless the Tories are, I can also see Boris starting to come under pressure from within his own party if he and his government don't buck their ideas up; however, while it's clearly possible, IMO it would take quite a chain of events for him to be removed as PM prior to the next election.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #2057
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Following the election result in December I said Boris and his government needed to be only somewhere near competent to be re-elected on the basis majorities of the size he won are not often over-turned in one term; however, they're not managing to be even vaguely competent at the moment so yes, I can now see that majority being over-turned in 2024. And given how ruthless the Tories are, I can also see Boris starting to come under pressure from within his own party if he and his government don't buck their ideas up; however, while it's clearly possible, IMO it would take quite a chain of events for him to be removed as PM prior to the next election.
I agree with your point about the ruthlessness of the Tories. They have form here going back decades. Starmer is ahead of Johnson in the polls in terms of perceived effectiveness/popularity and that will only grow as Johnson's cabinet makes more and more of a mess of things. The Tory party won't tolerate his laziness and incompetence indefinitely. They will get rid off him, imo, and I suspect that Gove - G*d forbid - will finally get his chance
      08-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #2058
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I agree with your point about the ruthlessness of the Tories. They have form here going back decades. Starmer is ahead of Johnson in the polls in terms of perceived effectiveness/popularity and that will only grow as Johnson's cabinet makes more and more of a mess of things. The Tory party won't tolerate his laziness and incompetence indefinitely. They will get rid off him, imo, and I suspect that Gove - G*d forbid - will finally get his chance
If Gove is installed as PM prior to the next election you might as well hands the keys for Number 10 to Starmer now! I'm still not convinced Boris will get pushed out but he certainly can't afford another year or two like the one he's having; ok, he's been dealt a bad hand courtesy of Covid but he hasn't played it very well....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 07:52 AM   #2059
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If Gove is installed as PM prior to the next election you might as well hands the keys for Number 10 to Starmer now! I'm still not convinced Boris will get pushed out but he certainly can't afford another year or two like the one he's having; ok, he's been dealt a bad hand courtesy of Covid but he hasn't played it very well....
And as Nick Robinson commented this morning, "In the past few days, the Daily Mail has portrayed Boris Johnson as a dunce, condemned him for staying silent on the exam fiasco, warned of a haemorrhaging of confidence in his government & helped to reveal his holiday hideaway. Not what the Tories are used to".
      08-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #2060
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Don't be surprised, that's the nature of the beast. Here's an assessment of BJ by Max Hastings, historian and former editor of The Telegraph, written before he became PM. The article has aged well.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-party-britain
It doesn’t miss, does it?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #2061
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

Quote:
My opinion is hell definitely be in charge. He’s mainly surrounding himself by cronies and removing the power of people in senior positions.

There might be the odd rebel, but I think he’ll have cemented his position well enough to defend an in party challenge. And I don’t think enough people in the party will really be up for yet another leadership change.
It is not the crony cabinet that matter on Boris's survival but backbench MP's and voting in the 1922 committee I think is secret. Yesterday I was reading the weekly local newspaper articles by two of the four Local Tory MP's. Both have a change in tone over the last 6 months from complete towing the Gov line to now grumbling about the changes in planning policy and other matters. once it becomes apparent Boris is no longer an electoral asset, he will be gone. The Tory party has a strong record on such matters.
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #2062
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
It is not the crony cabinet that matter on Boris's survival but backbench MP's and voting in the 1922 committee I think is secret. Yesterday I was reading the weekly local newspaper articles by two of the four Local Tory MP's. Both have a change in tone over the last 6 months from complete towing the Gov line to now grumbling about the changes in planning policy and other matters. once it becomes apparent Boris is no longer an electoral asset, he will be gone. The Tory party has a strong record on such matters.
I understand how it works, I just don’t think anyone one will challenge if he removes all possible rivals from prominent positions in government.

It’s hard to find someone that appeals to the electorate if they’re hidden from view. And I don’t think the Tories do have a great record. Thatcher went on too long, Major was always going to lose to Blair and shouldn’t have led in that election. More recent changes have been forced upon them.

Only time will tell, but my bet would be him still being around come election time.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #2063
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

I dont think it will matter if there is any obvious better candidate, he is a liar, and a cheat and he will be found out way before the next election - but they will bide their time and get the new person in place to maximise new leader bounce for the election.

And I expect a female leader next time to get one over on Labour....
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 02:35 PM   #2064
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I dont think it will matter if there is any obvious better candidate, he is a liar, and a cheat and he will be found out way before the next election - but they will bide their time and get the new person in place to maximise new leader bounce for the election.

And I expect a female leader next time to get one over on Labour....
I think you’re crediting them with too much sense. He wouldn’t be in now if that were the case.

His lying and idiocy weren’t a secret before he became Prime Minister.

He still led them to a big victory last time and I think he’ll be stickier than you think. It’s not like there’s anything that he could do that would make him quit. He’s like Trump, he just ignores the scandals until they pass by like Trump, then each one that follows actually has less impact rather than adding up to more. Look at the Cummings saga, blindly ignore it until it passes by.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #2065
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I think you’re crediting them with too much sense. He wouldn’t be in now if that were the case.

He still led them to a big victory last time and I think he’ll be stickier than you think. It’s not like there’s anything that he could do that would make him quit. He’s like Trump, he just ignores the scandals until they pass by like Trump, then each one that follows actually has less impact rather than adding up to more. Look at the Cummings saga, blindly ignore it until it passes by.
They were in a hole and thought his charisma would get them through - he won London, he won Brexit, why not. But now they have to live with him, and they will realise that his charm is shortlived and his crap lives on...

But time will tell.... lets revisit in 1 / 2 / 3 years....maybe even 3.5 years...
Appreciate 1
      08-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #2066
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They were in a hole and thought his charisma would get them through - he won London, he won Brexit, why not. But now they have to live with him, and they will realise that his charm is shortlived and his crap lives on...

But time will tell.... lets revisit in 1 / 2 / 3 years....maybe even 3.5 years...
Johnson was a terrible Mayor of London but arguably that doesn't matter anymore. He was a useless Foreign Secretary but again, that's history now. He is a calamitous PM right now and that matters, and will continue to matter as he and his cabinet create one f*ck after another. Johnson hasnt the intelligence, the know-how or the work ethic required to turn things around. He and Cummings can carry on writing their three word slogans and trying to run the country as if it were an election campaign but the Tory party faithful will.only swallow so much sh*t before they turn on him - and with a no deal Brexit probably around the corner, things are going to get a lot worse in the NY, of course.
I give Johnson 18 months, two years tops, before he's ousted.
      08-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #2067
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I think bj will be pm come next election. He came to power on a big win, made the cabinet a bunch of yes men/women and in normal times would sail through.
Unfortunately the obvious happened and he had to rely on the fuckwits in post while he was genuinely ill.
He is a good time PM and its sh1t now but the election is 4 years away.
I do dispare at the obvious f ups of this government but would a Labour lot have been any better?

As a life long tory voter it would be hard for me to vote red but 4 years is a long time and if they get rid of momentum/hard left nonsense who knows..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 01:45 AM   #2068
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Don't get me started. If Corbyn wasn't such an anti-semite who also sat with the IRA in the west end planning bombings... labour would have stood a chance. The youth don't know about his murky past.

BoZo. I like that. Will start using it. These are just some of his u-turns:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9568956.html

Wasting money painting a jet.
Wasting more money trying to move parliament to York.
Above all though he lied to the Queen and didn't even show any remorse. You'd think based on that he'd be out.

No one wanted to pull the trigger on Article 51 because they came around to what a dumb idea it was.. and how much planning is required to make it a good idea. The half wits did not want to allow a second vote on the matter.

Along comes BoZo with 'get it done.' Sometimes I wonder if it was Moscow in the meddle behind BoZo like Trump.

He surrounded himself with Brexiteers so when covid struck... his cronies didn't have a clue. It's farcical to say the least.

With 30,000 cancer patients on a backlog waiting to die because he's been too distracted shaking hands and asking people to be proud of him... that blood should be on his hands.

I remember all the Sunak interviews on TV: "We'll leave then negotiate." Errr what? Yes I will buy this BMW M5 for the sticker price, park it on my drive and, then call the dealership to ask whether they can shave some of the cost off. Why would you even take that risk with your own country??

The country is a laughing stock. Seems like the British Parliament was only invented to entertain the rest of the world.
Appreciate 1