F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Downpipe upgrade
Extreme Powerhouse

04-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #1
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep
Drives: BmW 340i Xdrive 2016

Downpipe upgrade

Hi yall
i'm looking for an High flow downpipe upgrade on my f30 340i Xdrive 2016, b58 engine. I want to stay street legal, so no catless DP and not too loud.
I wan't to go FBO Stage 2 Bootmod3
For now my choices are :
1. CTS TURBO 4.5″ HIGH-FLOW CAT (affordable) Sale available currently
high-flow 200 cell
any gain numbers???
2. AFE TWISTED STEEL DOWN-PIPE STREET (way more expensive but extra gain)
high-flow 300 cell
+30 HP/+31 lbs. x ft. Torque
Wagner and Active Autowerke are a bit too expensive for my present budget.
Vrsf is cheap but i red too much bad comments about it.

Living in Canada so i'm looking for delivery available in my country.
Canadian website first

Any thoughts on that matter or advice are more than welcome.
Thanks for your time.
Stay safe yall, cause every little thing gonna be alright.

Last edited by SystemOfUrdaW; 04-10-2020 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:47 PM   #2
Boostedphil698
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i Xdrive MSport

Garage List
2015 BMW 435XI  [0.00]
2009 Honda Civic  [0.00]
Hey man, the ONLY downpipe I would buy unless I was going catless would be the Fabspeed Sport Cat, it's 200 cell HJS cat. It's 1500 dollars but it guarantees no check engine light and here in the U.S. it will pass emissions. It also has 93% of the gains a catless downpipe has. Overall, a great choice. Welcome to the forums and I love the 340i btw.
      04-09-2020, 06:14 PM   #3
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Fabspeed or CG Precision only 2 I would ever consider.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
CTS makes good stuff. I have their FMIC and would have more of their products if it was available for my car. If you don't mind TOFTT(taking one for the team) and be it's 1st review? At least some us here would appreciate it. I'd seriously do it if i had a B58.

As others have mentioned, Fabspeed, CG-Precision DS-1, and AA are the only ones with design and catalyst good enough to not generate a CEL. I speculate you need a flash tune with CTS.
I prefer CG Precision as they have custom outlet available for their exhaust which gives you 3.5" pipes the whole way back with no restriction of the OEM 3.0" outlet.
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Really happy with the ER catted one. Never had a CEL in the year it's been installed.

Check out xph.com (Extreme Powerhouse). They are US based, but drop ship right from their suppliers. They have great service, great advice.
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #6
GreenF30N26
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328ix N26

I’ve got an ER catted DP for my N26 and have been happy with it. Installed perfectly with no smell on my 4-cyl. They do have one for your b58 according to their website. CEL comes on the odd time but since tuning Bm3 st 2 the CEL is permanently disabled anyways so I don’t get it anymore.

WRT performance I’ve read not all catted DP cell ratings are the same. Allegedly some with higher cell density perform better than some lower density and maybe more expensive are better but haven’t seen comparisons on the same car switching downpipes and putting on a dyno. Lots of people swear by lots of things but no hard evidence to support any preferences except that it did what they believed it should or not and installed well or not.

I’m in Canada as well and used N54Tuning.com. They are based out of Mississauga Ontario and ship anywhere in Canada. Before buying send mike from there an email via the website and see what discount code you can use from being on the forum.

Don’t over think it just buy from one of the reputable manufacturers and have some fun. These mods will transform your ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Thank you all for your answers and for your time.
Sorry for the delay, i'm new here and i must have done something wrong, cause i didn't receive any notification.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #8
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435i_Phil View Post
Hey man, the ONLY downpipe I would buy unless I was going catless would be the Fabspeed Sport Cat, it's 200 cell HJS cat. It's 1500 dollars but it guarantees no check engine light and here in the U.S. it will pass emissions. It also has 93% of the gains a catless downpipe has. Overall, a great choice. Welcome to the forums and I love the 340i btw.

1500 us $ is out of my league for now.
AFE catted 300 cell is about 1000 $ CA.
+30 HP/+31 lbs. x ft. Torque are the best number i've seen for now for the cost.
I've already ordered an AFE momentum gt Intake.
About the check engine i'm using Bootmod3, it might help me in that situation.
Thanks mate

Last edited by SystemOfUrdaW; 04-10-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
depending on the price and availibilty in Canada it can be a good option.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Really happy with the ER catted one. Never had a CEL in the year it's been installed.

Check out xph.com (Extreme Powerhouse). They are US based, but drop ship right from their suppliers. They have great service, great advice.
us based means custom fees wich i'm trying to avoid by spending here in Canada.
it is also a good thing to spend here it is helping our economy to grow.
important thing to do on those difficult time we are living currently.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green33 View Post
I’ve got an ER catted DP for my N26 and have been happy with it. Installed perfectly with no smell on my 4-cyl. They do have one for your b58 according to their website. CEL comes on the odd time but since tuning Bm3 st 2 the CEL is permanently disabled anyways so I don’t get it anymore.

WRT performance I’ve read not all catted DP cell ratings are the same. Allegedly some with higher cell density perform better than some lower density and maybe more expensive are better but haven’t seen comparisons on the same car switching downpipes and putting on a dyno. Lots of people swear by lots of things but no hard evidence to support any preferences except that it did what they believed it should or not and installed well or not.

I’m in Canada as well and used N54Tuning.com. They are based out of Mississauga Ontario and ship anywhere in Canada. Before buying send mike from there an email via the website and see what discount code you can use from being on the forum.

Don’t over think it just buy from one of the reputable manufacturers and have some fun. These mods will transform your ride.
i'll go check on that website.
i ordered my AFE intake from TDOT performance, based in Canada.
the intake comes from us but shipping and custom fees are already included in the price.
your argument on cell density would justify the different cost.
more cells more expensive
AFE is about twice the cost of CTS.
no matter what i will over think it i'm like that.
but i agree on the fun i will have.
with Bootmod3 stage 1 it is already a game changer.
so with fbo and stage 2 it will be even more fun.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:04 AM   #12
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
CG precision???
never heard of this brand i'll go check
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #13
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitom7 View Post
No really true. Parts are coming from the US where ever you buy them, so if there is fees, you are still paying those for Canadian purchased product. It's just buried in the price.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      04-11-2020, 01:57 AM   #14
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i RWD

Quote:
Quote:
No really true. Parts are coming from the US where ever you buy them, so if there is fees, you are still paying those for Canadian purchased product. It's just buried in the price.
Hey guys living in Cali here. Looking to get the HKS Euro 6 catalytic converters downpipe and pair it with the MPPSK
Any suggestions? Or any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
i am totally aware of that info, but using a canadian website i help growing the local economy, which is very important currently.
It is also helping the US at the same time, it's a win win
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 04:20 PM   #16
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Sure, not saying I don't try that, but I never found one that handled the parts I needed for BMW.

All I'm saying is Extreme Powerhouse is great to deal with, and if you have issues with a product, they are there to help you out. That's more of a win-win for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 05:58 PM   #17
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foriegnmonkey1 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys living in Cali here. Looking to get the HKS Euro 6 catalytic converters downpipe and pair it with the MPPSK
Try the Fabspeed one or the Akrapovic one. Both have the HJS Euro 6 converter. The one at Fabspeed is actually made by HJS, Fabspeed is just the importer.

I would go with the Akrapovic DP. All this other trash by Wagner, VRSF that gets shilled here a lot is full of BS. All have issues, and there are posts all over about these. They all "guarantee no CEL" but unless you are spending $1500 something for names like Fabspeed or Akrapovic, everything else is prone to issues. At least that's what I have noticed from these posts. Now it is entirely possible that I see these issues way more because these pipes are cheap and more people buy them... but, honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with Akrapovic.

I am curious, why pair with MPPSK? I mean, you are voiding your warranty with the DP anyway and there are better tune/exhaust combos out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #18
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Try the Fabspeed one or the Akrapovic one. Both have the HJS Euro 6 converter. The one at Fabspeed is actually made by HJS, Fabspeed is just the importer.

I would go with the Akrapovic DP. All this other trash by Wagner, VRSF that gets shilled here a lot is full of BS. All have issues, and there are posts all over about these. They all "guarantee no CEL" but unless you are spending $1500 something for names like Fabspeed or Akrapovic, everything else is prone to issues. At least that's what I have noticed from these posts. Now it is entirely possible that I see these issues way more because these pipes are cheap and more people buy them... but, honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with Akrapovic.

I am curious, why pair with MPPSK? I mean, you are voiding your warranty with the DP anyway and there are better tune/exhaust combos out there.
I didn't know that this DP will void my warranty... so right now I bought a CPO 2016 340i which I think the 1 year bumper to bumper will be starting as of May.
If anything were to go wrong I couldn't get it fixed?

Also wanted to get the DP cause of the stage 2 MHD tune, without CEL and all that BS. And wanna pair it with MPPSK cause the sound of that exhaust is sexy haha no other reason.

But in terms of the warranty can I do? As of now I just have a stage 1 tune stock exhaust and an intake
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #19
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep

Akropovic, Fabspeed, Evolution Racewerksare, wagmerare way out of my budget for now.
AFE is i think what i'm gonna go for.
i already ordered AFE Momentum GT Pro DRY S Cold Air air intake.
I've seen AFE products in Kies Motorsports website so it is good sign of quality for me.
i know if you want quality you gotta pay for it.
My full warranty is over, engine warranty has 11 months to go but my car is flashed with BM3 so no more warranty.
FBO mean no more warranty.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #20
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know that this DP will void my warranty... so right now I bought a CPO 2016 340i which I think the 1 year bumper to bumper will be starting as of May.

Also wanted to get the DP cause of the stage 2 MHD tune, without CEL and all that BS. And wanna pair it with MPPSK cause the sound of that exhaust is sexy haha no other reason.

But in terms of the warranty can I do? As of now I just have a stage 1 tune stock exhaust and an intake
If you are running a stage 1 tune then your warranty is already trashed. I am assuming this is a flash tune and not one of those trashy piggybacks like JB4?

If it is a piggyback then you are fine for the most part if you yank it off when you go in for service, and avoid getting it flagged. If it is a flash tune, then you probably shouldn't have paid all that extra for the CPO as all that warranty is now gone. Anyway, if it is a flash tune, you can't do much... but be committed to the path of attaining awesomeness, so get that DP!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 01:54 AM   #21
Foriegnmonkey1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If you are running a stage 1 tune then your warranty is already trashed. I am assuming this is a flash tune and not one of those trashy piggybacks like JB4?

If it is a piggyback then you are fine for the most part if you yank it off when you go in for service, and avoid getting it flagged. If it is a flash tune, then you probably shouldn't have paid all that extra for the CPO as all that warranty is now gone. Anyway, if it is a flash tune, you can't do much... but be committed to the path of attaining awesomeness, so get that DP!!
Haha, well some forums say if you flash back to stock for MHD they don't notice it. It also really depends if my service advisor is an ass
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 02:29 AM   #22
Canadared
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i F30

I would have gone with the CTS one, I ran their catted DP on my Audi A4 and it got the job done with my IE stg 2 tune. They have a huge following in the VW/Audi crowd and they make quality products. They're based outta BC and they have free shipping anywhere in North America, good sale going on right now too.
Appreciate 2