F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New BMW owner (2015 335i)
Studio RSR

08-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
tomtendo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

New BMW owner (2015 335i)

Hello,

New proud owner of a "gently" used 2015 BMW 335i that has 53K on it. Previous owner clearly kept it in great shape.

Couple of questions:
When I start up the car, the iDrive menu is at the select screen. Can I make it automatically start on my music screen (Bluetooth)?

When I was shown the car, I swear I saw weather info/icons on the screen. Now I can't find them at all...

I've done the research, but thought I'd ask here. What's the typical maintenance for this bad boys? I've always leased (coming from a 2015 Lexus IS 350 F Sport). I only drive about 6K miles a year, hence why I bought this time.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Congratulations!

Did you by any chance were able to obtain full service records?

N55 equipped engines have a plastic charge pipe. Worth planning to replace it with Evolution Racewerks charge pipe.

Changing oil every 7.5K miles is always a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Pics please!

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #4
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

If you drive 6k per year, change oil once per year.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Congratulations!

Did you by any chance were able to obtain full service records?

N55 equipped engines have a plastic charge pipe. Worth planning to replace it with Evolution Racewerks charge pipe.

Changing oil every 7.5K miles is always a good idea.
Usually my CBS would tell me to change it at 7.5, or 8k Miles on my old 335, and even my new 340.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 03:10 PM   #6
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
What do you mean by the select screen? Is it asking for your profile? If so, you can disable that option in settings. Usually iDrive will go back to the last used page. I like having the map in the right frame and the media on the main page.

I think you can have the weather on the right side of the screen, though I'm not sure if that's iDrive 5/6 feature or not.

BMW recommended maintenance is:
10k/1year oil change
2 year brake fluid
4 year inspection
Brakes are based on driving style
Spark plugs every 5-6 oil changes
Engine air filter every 5 oil changes
Cabin filter every 2 years

I like to add:
5000-7500mi/9 month oil change
spark plugs every 36,000 miles
diff fluid 5yr/50k miles
transmission fluid 5yr/50k miles (auto or manual)
coolant flush 5yr/50k miles

The last three are "lifetime" fill according to BMW. Lifetime actually means 10year/100k miles though.
ZF, the manufacturer of the automatic transmissions recommend a 60k mile (max 8 years) transmission flush. ZF 8HP transmissions are amazing and will last a long time if well taken care of. Get it flushed at 50k/5 years and you will be a happy camper. If you have a manual, it's so easy, might as well do it at 4 years if you're driving low miles. BMW cooling systems are made of glass so changing out for fresh fluid can only help. Even if the fluid looks clean, it loses its rust inhibitors and well damage your car's cooling system. Get that flushed once at around 5 years as well.

I like to run Chevron Fuel System cleaner right before every oil change or two. The injectors are one source of issues, and keeping them clean is probably not a bad thing.

Service on modern cars is really much easier than it used to be. I only drive

IMO, keep the stock charge pipe unless you drive it hard or tune the car. You hear anecdotal stories of them blowing on stock cars, but it's rare enough that it's not worth the money to replace it. I have an aluminum one now, but I ran my old N54 car tuned with the plastic charge pipe for 3 years and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #7
Noelified
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtendo View Post
Hello,

New proud owner of a "gently" used 2015 BMW 335i that has 53K on it. Previous owner clearly kept it in great shape.

Couple of questions:
When I start up the car, the iDrive menu is at the select screen. Can I make it automatically start on my music screen (Bluetooth)?

When I was shown the car, I swear I saw weather info/icons on the screen. Now I can't find them at all...
Thanks guys!
Congrats and welcome!!

What I prefer is to just load my music onto the internal HD and select "Music Collection" in the iDrive. If you do not have Profile screen as startup, your last selected menu item should be what comes up at startup. For me that's Music Collection. You may also want to run Split-Screen.

Not sure if your iDrive is different from mine. The below works on my NBT on a 2016.
On the iDrive push [options] button
- From there hit the iDrive to check the box for [split screen].
Once split screen is enabled push the iDrive to right
- Hit the [options] button and select Split screen content.
- Scroll down to BMW Widgets and select it
- Within widgets select [Clock and Weather].
You should now have Music selection on the left and Weather/Clock on the right. And this should be default on every startup.

NOTE: for the widgets to work you need to be subscribed to ConnectedDrive content.
║ VRSF HD FMIC ║ ER DP custom paint ║ AWE cat back Exhaust Suite ║ NGK Plugs ║Bootmod3 Stage 1 93 ║ GFB DV+ ║ BMS 10mm Front ⁞ 12mm Rear Spacers ║ P Style BSM Rear Spoiler ║ Smoked Front Reflectors ║ Madico Onyx 20 Tint ║ LCI Lighted Trim Bezel ║ Opti-Coat Pro+ ║
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:22 PM   #8
tomtendo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
What do you mean by the select screen? Is it asking for your profile? If so, you can disable that option in settings. Usually iDrive will go back to the last used page. I like having the map in the right frame and the media on the main page.

I think you can have the weather on the right side of the screen, though I'm not sure if that's iDrive 5/6 feature or not.

BMW recommended maintenance is:
10k/1year oil change
2 year brake fluid
4 year inspection
Brakes are based on driving style
Spark plugs every 5-6 oil changes
Engine air filter every 5 oil changes
Cabin filter every 2 years

I like to add:
5000-7500mi/9 month oil change
spark plugs every 36,000 miles
diff fluid 5yr/50k miles
transmission fluid 5yr/50k miles (auto or manual)
coolant flush 5yr/50k miles

The last three are "lifetime" fill according to BMW. Lifetime actually means 10year/100k miles though.
ZF, the manufacturer of the automatic transmissions recommend a 60k mile (max 8 years) transmission flush. ZF 8HP transmissions are amazing and will last a long time if well taken care of. Get it flushed at 50k/5 years and you will be a happy camper. If you have a manual, it's so easy, might as well do it at 4 years if you're driving low miles. BMW cooling systems are made of glass so changing out for fresh fluid can only help. Even if the fluid looks clean, it loses its rust inhibitors and well damage your car's cooling system. Get that flushed once at around 5 years as well.

I like to run Chevron Fuel System cleaner right before every oil change or two. The injectors are one source of issues, and keeping them clean is probably not a bad thing.

Service on modern cars is really much easier than it used to be. I only drive

IMO, keep the stock charge pipe unless you drive it hard or tune the car. You hear anecdotal stories of them blowing on stock cars, but it's rare enough that it's not worth the money to replace it. I have an aluminum one now, but I ran my old N54 car tuned with the plastic charge pipe for 3 years and no issues.
I guess what I mean is, when I start up the car, it's always on the menu screen not... for example.. the music bluetooth tab that shows the song, album cover etc. I always gotta go back to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2018, 02:23 PM   #9
tomtendo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelified View Post
Congrats and welcome!!

What I prefer is to just load my music onto the internal HD and select "Music Collection" in the iDrive. If you do not have Profile screen as startup, your last selected menu item should be what comes up at startup. For me that's Music Collection. You may also want to run Split-Screen.

Not sure if your iDrive is different from mine. The below works on my NBT on a 2016.
On the iDrive push [options] button
- From there hit the iDrive to check the box for [split screen].
Once split screen is enabled push the iDrive to right
- Hit the [options] button and select Split screen content.
- Scroll down to BMW Widgets and select it
- Within widgets select [Clock and Weather].
You should now have Music selection on the left and Weather/Clock on the right. And this should be default on every startup.

NOTE: for the widgets to work you need to be subscribed to ConnectedDrive content.
What you mean profile? What's this about?
Appreciate 0