F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Another interior wrap (DINOC CA-421)
ARMA SPEED

06-23-2017, 12:59 AM   #199
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Well done
Thanks. Door handles are a biiattch!
Attached Images

EDWYER1667.50
      06-23-2017, 02:41 AM   #200
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Results are looking nice and it seems very worth the efforts, dont?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 08:15 AM   #201
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Results are looking nice and it seems very worth the efforts, dont?
Yes, except i broke a couple of clips on the passenger door handle. Just got the 2 rear ones and i'm done.
      06-23-2017, 02:14 PM   #202
awmenard
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 320i

Hello to all, 1st time using vinyl wrap.

Just missing my door handles. It's not perfect but pretty happy with the results so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #203
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_a_m View Post
Yes, except i broke a couple of clips on the passenger door handle. Just got the 2 rear ones and i'm done.
Told ya how to remove them and how to avoid to break some studs, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmenard View Post
Hello to all, 1st time using vinyl wrap.

Just missing my door handles. It's not perfect but pretty happy with the results so far.
Thats a new way to wrap, the let the CF waves flow across the parts. Nice detail, I like.
Is this a modded iDrive knob?

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #204
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Easier said than done. Tried exactly that. I probably used more force than I should've. Even the 2 back ones had a couple of broken plastic tabs but I'm done with it all. Wife digs it!
      06-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #205
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Hm, I hope that you would encounter no rattling sometimes because there are too much tabs lost. Consider double sided tape to add to prevent this from the start?

Appreciate 1
d_a_m92.50
      02-23-2018, 03:21 AM   #206
rcerro
Rep
Drives: 320d GT

Carbon pattern wave

Hi guys, I bought 3M 1080 carbon vinyl (152cm x 50cm) but it's too small (50cm) to cover the main piece from front console in the way that I would like, that means with the pattern wave to the right direction. I can do all pieces in opposite way, that means , the carbon pattern to the left side direction. I can see most of the people have done with the wave to the right direction and my question is:

Any reason to do it? I mean as far all pieces has the same pattern direction is fine? By the way my car is from UK, that means steering wheel in the right

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 03:27 AM   #207
rcerro
Rep

Attach a picture to show the patter wave in right direction (shift gear box) and pattern with left direction (roll)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:02 AM   #208
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I wont start pulling the one-armed-bandit for "check the right sizes before", but this was a real defenselessness
Now, to answer your question: I'd bought the exact same size and it was enough for all trim panels and the door handles, plus iDrive panel and shifter frame (like yours). For me it made sense to start with one way of the patterns direction and if you had already some CF installed, its one point more to follow this.
Unfortunatly I have no idea why your wrap wouldnt fit as you want it.
At least it doesnt matter which side your steering wheel is located as long as you feel yourself well into your wrapped car. If not, buy the right size and give it one more try

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2018, 05:25 AM   #209
rcerro
Rep

Quote:
I wont start pulling the one-armed-bandit for "check the right sizes before", but this was a real defenselessness
Now, to answer your question: I'd bought the exact same size and it was enough for all trim panels and the door handles, plus iDrive panel and shifter frame (like yours). For me it made sense to start with one way of the patterns direction and if you had already some CF installed, its one point more to follow this.
Unfortunatly I have no idea why your wrap wouldnt fit as you want it.
At least it doesnt matter which side your steering wheel is located as long as you feel yourself well into your wrapped car. If not, buy the right size and give it one more try
Thanks mate for your answer .. well I didn't check the forum before buy the roll :-( .. and basically the bigger piece is 58cm width aprox .. therefore I should buy the 1520mm x 600mm .. if I want to wrap with the weave to the right side, like I made with the shift gear ..

To be honest, I think I will try with the weave pattern to the left due to buy a new vinyl for that specific size it will cost around £60 .. + £35 that I already pay for this one. Also remove the existing wrap is just 5 minutes job. I have a Oakley sun glasses in carbon which coming with a carbon case and the weave pattern is to the left as you can see in the picture:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      02-26-2018, 02:09 AM   #210
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

I understand your dilemma and you're double screwed, if the cutted piece of wrap from the supplier is that way done, that you wouldnt have a chance to direct the waves into that way that you're desiring. Luckily I never had this at all kind of CF wraps.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #211
Stav435d
Rep
Drives: 840i msport Gran Coupe

Really pleased I found this thread I'm picking my new car up on Saturday, it ticked all of the boxes for me apart from the interior trim so I am really pleased to see it is a relatively 'simple' job to fix.

I had phoned a couple of companies here in the UK who quoted around £25 per trim piece to wrap which seemed reasonable, but then I started to count the number of pieces I would need done and this looks like a great alternative. The car has a silver CF looking trim with the blue trim line, I'm looking to go Piano Black throughout and will be relying very heavily on the guidance offered on this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #212
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav435d View Post
The car has a silver CF looking trim with the blue trim line, I'm looking to go Piano Black throughout and will be relying very heavily on the guidance offered on this thread.
Please show us immediately the silver CF, I have never seen it before...or did you mean the hex silver trim w/ blue trim line, which is the stock combi?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 08:23 AM   #213
Bloke
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Thanks to everyone here, some truly helpful information!
Took a little longer than expected, 2 days, but I needed to use the car during the weekend......kids to sports etc....

Anyway, very happy with the results, went with the DINOC CA421 as original poster. Going to redo the center console piece, because I can see a slight imperfection and well, i'm anal and i see it everytime i get into the car

I wasn't a big fan of the Piano black, but i actually like it so much more now.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #214
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

*ahem*
Looks mint onto first sight, door handles and headlight switch section *check* but if you want to hear it: Onto the left grille and the center trim panel the cut lines of the wrap are quite too short, the silver from below is coming through and you have no really close crossing from the wrap to the trim line. Was that intentional or not?

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #215
Bloke
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:
*ahem*
Looks mint onto first sight, door handles and headlight switch section *check* but if you want to hear it: Onto the left grille and the center trim panel the cut lines of the wrap are quite too short, the silver from below is coming through and you have no really close crossing from the wrap to the trim line. Was that intentional or not?
Yeah it was first pass, going to redo those pieces they bug me. I did cut too close to the silver trim.

Keen eye!
Appreciate 1
Dang3r12503.00
      03-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #216
Stav435d
Rep
Drives: 840i msport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Please show us immediately the silver CF, I have never seen it before...or did you mean the hex silver trim w/ blue trim line, which is the stock combi?
Have picked the car up now, I was hesitant to move from a z4 to a diesel convertible but I absolutely love it already. I will definitely though wrap the trim.

Picture attached (i hope!) it's probably the standard hex but didn't look like I remember hex looking on a friends older car, it has probably been updated to this... either way I won't be looking at it for too much longer!

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #217
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
Yeah it was first pass, going to redo those pieces they bug me. I did cut too close to the silver trim.

Keen eye!
TY, if you do this long enough, you'll get an eye for the details.
For the left panel just redo as done before. Dont cut onto the silver but onto the black trim line, you have to tilt your knife or whatever to 45° and cut exactly into the angle between silver and black to achieve the best result.
To avoid you upcoming disappointments I would highly recommend you to start the wrap at the center panel not upside but close above the black accent line. The wrap is flexible enough to got stretched the small angle of upward turning to the right. Leave the rounded corner until you're finished and do this as the last masterpiece.
Start to wrap from below upwards to the grilles (which were removed at my turn to make the work more easier) and apply gently without blisters and kiltings, keep the wrap constantly warm with a hair dryer, makes it more easier. This is the harder way, because you have to handle more wrap material and this could be annoying at certain points.
If you're done and close to the last edge, be extrem cautious at cutting the corner. Use the hairdryer to warm up the wrap there and then your fingernails to drive the exact(!) way of the radius few times. You would see this after doing as a rebound line under the wrap. I'd used a scalpel, inserted it carefully between panel and trim line, do the first cut into the radius, lift the cutted wrap a bit until you see the line again and proceed.
Sounds very extravagantly but at my first try I'd a deep scratch with the scalpel into my blue trim line.
That bothers me as long as I pulled the trigger and bought a new (used) one and did it again - this time proper

Good luck out there, any questions, let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav435d View Post
Have picked the car up now, I was hesitant to move from a z4 to a diesel convertible but I absolutely love it already. I will definitely though wrap the trim.

Picture attached (i hope!) it's probably the standard hex but didn't look like I remember hex looking on a friends older car, it has probably been updated to this... either way I won't be looking at it for too much longer!
Thats the standard hexagonal silver trim, nothing to do with carbon Nevermind.

Appreciate 1
      06-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #218
yoon_209
Masterchief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
After receiving numerous samples from 3M and even ordering a large sheet of their new 1080 wrap I decided to stick with DINOC due to it providing the texture and depth I was after. I really liked being able to see the individual threads along with how it plays with lights at different angles. I also paid close attention to the direction of the fiber on the center i-drive panel and the main dash panel. I wanted them to line up. I didn't care too much about the cf direction on the door handles.

hands down the best cosmetic mod on my car and mod that i get the most compliments on

thank you for this diy

07-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #219
bimbimsalabim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 4 series

Has anyone had to take these off? I'm curious if it will do any damage to piano black upon removal.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #220
jayhawkram
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 i Xdrive

Initial Post here

I just wanted to say thanks to all the folks who have posted about this mod. Walnut with Coral Red M Sport is just a brutal combination. I thought I would try this before I purchased a a different set. So glad I did!
Appreciate 1