F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Corbyn - a step too far for me
GetBMWParts

12-07-2019, 03:46 AM   #45
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzapb View Post
Exactly and it’s usually why the middle of the road earners proportionally Get walloped the hardest. Some of the marginal rates are nuts. 50k to 80k is a huge target not rich to be footloose. Pay rises don’t make much difference. I am for progressive taxation but 70k as we know puts you in the top 5% earners and McDonald thinks you are rich. Add in tax credits and housing benefit might as well not aspire to further your career especially under a Marxist govt.
Don’t forget the 60% tax rate on earnings between £100k and £125k... 40% rate plus £1 of tax free pay lost for every £2 earned. Add in NI and pension, and you see barely a third of any pay rise....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:49 AM   #46
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

My local Labour MP has a 23,000 majority. I wouldn't vote for her if you paid me.
I think Brexit will be bad for the UK economically, and always have done, and won't be voting Tory.
I think that Labour under Corbyn/McDonnell would be catastrophic for the economy. And if Labour held a 2nd ref on their negotiated deal and Leave won (which many believe would actually be the more likely outcome), I think that the combination of leaving the EU with Labour in power would cripple the economy for decades.
My wife and I are voting LD, my adult sons are voting Green. As a family, we think that the two main parties are utterly sh*t.
Bibbles778.50
      12-07-2019, 05:59 AM   #47
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Don’t forget the 60% tax rate on earnings between £100k and £125k... 40% rate plus £1 of tax free pay lost for every £2 earned. Add in NI and pension, and you see barely a third of any pay rise....
It's even worse as a parent. Going over £100k loses you the government replacement for childcare vouchers and 15 hours free childcare. If a £10k bonus takes you from £99k to £109k you could end up losing more than £10k, so may as well not take it. Or pay into a pension instead, which is ok, as long as you make it to pension age!
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #48
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
It's even worse as a parent. Going over £100k loses you the government replacement for childcare vouchers and 15 hours free childcare. If a £10k bonus takes you from £99k to £109k you could end up losing more than £10k, so may as well not take it. Or pay into a pension instead, which is ok, as long as you make it to pension age!
Ah, in my day you got nowt from the govt so nothing to lose - but I do hear my daughter and her hubby talk about it...

If you don’t make retirement age, aren’t your personal contributions refunded from your pension pot to your estate?

£10k plus tax relief, that would earn you about £750 a year for life post retirement if you retire at 67...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:30 AM   #49
zofinger
Major
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Or go down to a 4 day week (assuming your employerment allows). One day off AND you get the childcare. Don't refuse a bonus!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:26 AM   #50
Cootie
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d Xdrive with ACS Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
One of the biggest nonsenses in tax policy as I see it. Surely just bring down the rate for highest rate tax to make it revenue neutral. The current arrangement where you’re only seeing a third of anything earned in this range is totally dysfunctional.

Really disappointed that none of the parties think that a root and branch review of the structure of taxation is worthy of a manifesto commitment. So many anomalies etc and so much complexity for tax payers and the administration (and cost of it) at HMRC. Would much rather have some teachers and nurses rather than people working in HMRC applying overly complex tax policies...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:38 AM   #51
GBR1
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 45e on order

It just gets better..

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...-manifesto/amp
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #52
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I have previously suggested on this forum that Corbyn would be potentially less damaging than Brexit, and that I would be prepared to risk a Corbyn government to avoid Brexit, as the lesser of two evils. While I still believe that Brexit is beyond stupid, I have now changed my position.

Labour's recent behaviour, in particular the £58bn off -the-cuff pledge to compensate women for the rise in state pension age, which happened a few days after the manifesto launch, suggests to me that he poses too great a risk. I understand the temptation to buy some votes, and all parties are guilty of that, but not for £58bn.

I live in a Conservative/Labour marginal, and will now be voting Tory. Boris is a contemptible, dishonest, racist piece of shit in my view, but despite that he's still preferable to Corbyn for me!
I'm with you on the honesty issues and totally on the waspi point - it's utterly madness.
I can't vote tory because of permanent crises we have all year round in the health service. We're literally on our knees due to lack of hospital beds and staff to run them. As for 50,000 more nurses - a lie beyond all lies. New staff are just not entering the profession.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #53
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
Like it or not much of the way our society has developed relies on the car and you won't change that quickly; therefore, policies like the one Labour are apparently proposing will simply create an additional burden for many as they won't be able to avoid the higher cost by switching to other forms of transport.

And of course the people worst affected will be those for whom travel costs constitute a large proportion of their disposable income and who can't afford a modern fuel efficient car - in other words a lot of Labour's traditional supporters....
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #54
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
Isn't the Daily Express as impartial as the Daily Fail?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #55
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
I have previously suggested on this forum that Corbyn would be potentially less damaging than Brexit, and that I would be prepared to risk a Corbyn government to avoid Brexit, as the lesser of two evils. While I still believe that Brexit is beyond stupid, I have now changed my position.

Labour's recent behaviour, in particular the £58bn off -the-cuff pledge to compensate women for the rise in state pension age, which happened a few days after the manifesto launch, suggests to me that he poses too great a risk. I understand the temptation to buy some votes, and all parties are guilty of that, but not for £58bn.

I live in a Conservative/Labour marginal, and will now be voting Tory. Boris is a contemptible, dishonest, racist piece of shit in my view, but despite that he's still preferable to Corbyn for me!
Corbyn and McDonnell are economically illiterate and economically irresponsible. The IFS said that their spending, taxation and borrowing plans are not credible, although they were equally scathing about the Tories' too, to be fair.

I haven't read their manifesto, only key points in summary form. I don't think the waspi women is the only unbudgeted item, however, at a cool £58 billion. I'm sure someone will correct me but I believe that provision of free broadband to every UK home and business and the renationalisation of BT Openworld as well as the provision of free breakfasts to all schoolchildren aren't fully costed.

All this from a politician who didn't know the highest rate of UK income tax when quizzed by Andrew Neil. That interview really was a train smash. I watched it on catch-up the other night. Corbyn really is a relic, and not a particularly bright one at that.
      12-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #56
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
And there you go again failing to read what has been written, you really should try.

Brexit will take a long time to do, years and years of negotiating a free trade agreement with the EU. You do understand that the last 3 years worth of wrangling drawing to a close is just the end of the beginning don't you? Not the beginning of the end.

So his strap line is a fallacy sold to those that are willing to believe or are ignorant of the process in front of us.

It has nothing to do with whether I think Brexit is a good thing or not.
Oh dear.

Brexit and a Trade Deal are different things.

When does Brexit take effect ? That's right, at the end of the WA negotiation/extension period - currently 31 January 2020. The UK would no longer be part of the European Union. We would have formally made our EXIT as a member state of the EU : brEXIT.

Getting Brexit Done = leaving on 31st January 2020. What's unclear about that ?

There are terms on the table for the Transition Period during which time the UK would negotiate trade terms with the EU - in effect, the status quo. Trade would continue pretty much as-is. New trading terms with the EU, either a Trade Deal or WTO terms, would take effect from the end of the transition period, currently set for 1st January 2021.

And you think it's others who are ignorant of the process and the legalities ?

Your contempt for the opinions and decisions of others, and your perceptions of their understanding, says far more about your own intelligence and character than it does about the people that you are judging. It's clearly clouding your own ability to understand and communicate.

You're clearly frustrated by the path that the UK is on. That's your problem. No-one can help you. All you have is your vote, and a preference, just like in the Referendum.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #57
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

This sums Corbyn up for me
Attached Images

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 3
NISFAN3487.00
      12-07-2019, 01:29 PM   #58
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Oh dear.

When does Brexit take effect ? That's right, at the end of the WA negotiation/extension period - currently 31 January 2020. The UK would no longer be part of the European Union. We would have formally made our EXIT as a member state of the EU : brEXIT.

There are terms on the table for the Transition Period during which time the UK would negotiate trade terms with the EU - in effect, the status quo. Trade would continue pretty much as-is. New trading terms with the EU, either a Trade Deal or WTO terms, would take effect from the end of the transition period, currently set for 1st January 2021.

Your contempt for the opinions and decisions of others, and your perceptions of their understanding, says far more about your own intelligence and character than it does about the people that you are judging. It's clearly clouding your own ability to understand and communicate.

You're clearly frustrated by the path that the UK is on. That's your problem. No-one can help you. All you have is your vote, and a preference, just like in the Referendum.
Is that supposed to make it sound better? Nearly 5 years for the whole process, and probably a lot more, as the first part has been extended, no reason to think the rest won't. Say 6 years since the referendum. At that point 4 million people will have died in the UK since the referendum and roughly 4 million more will have turned 18.

The will of the people.......which people?

I fully understand that a vote is taken at a certain point in time, which is fair enough for a policy that takes a year or two to get going. But if something takes 5-6 years to see through, probably fair to just check if it's still valid. Especially if the result of the original vote was not overwhelming.
Appreciate 2
Wills28656.00
SuperHamz742.00
      12-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #59
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Oh dear.

I can see you went for the full spittle laden gammon there.

You honestly need to start reading what has been written, I know you want to rant and shout because you're angry and maybe scared? But you can do that without looking so foolish.
      12-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #60
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
The important thing is you have your say, whatever that is.
Yes everyone who can, should vote, everyone.
I'd like a a business vote and a personal vote. You can probably work out why.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 02:58 PM   #61
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
I can see you went for the full spittle laden gammon there.

You honestly need to start reading what has been written, I know you want to rant and shout because you're angry and maybe scared? But you can do that without looking so foolish.
You know nothing about me. No fear. No anger. Happy to call you, and your arrogance, out.

The fool is closer to home than you'd ever admit.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #62
Tom Tallon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 XDRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringPleb View Post
So it was you!

You bought the only X2 sold this year!
TP slightly off topic

good point - I' ve seen 3 others in 5 months! The car is terribly popular in the States with excellent feedback - Perhaps the 228 bhp engine is the key there although most sold are the 300 bhp editions.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 10:00 AM   #63
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Hey Wills2 , Watsey . Are you two married?
Appreciate 0