F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Gaming pc
GetBMWParts

10-09-2019, 10:48 AM   #45
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I guess they use very cheap motherboards, RAM & PSUs, but a Ryzen 5 is a Ryzen 5, and an RTX 2060 is an RTX 2060, so how do they do it?
Apologies replied to you earlier post.

No idea, they can't be genuine at those prices. I've found loads of reviews on Amazon for chinese stuff to be fraudulent and I report them on a regular basis.

You know your PC's . I think the best advice we can give is to suggest the OP buy from the UK with named RAM, mobo etc ....I've been building since the 90's and now at the VR stage which is pushing the limits

Great site here for the OP

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/forums/f...t-list-for-me/
I'm tempted to buy one to see just what you do get for that money!

Edit: It looks like all the TongYue shop ones have now been removed from Amazon!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #46
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Which cases have you guys got? I'm looking at getting a new case with lights which brands would you suggest ?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #47
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacky View Post
Which cases have you guys got? I'm looking at getting a new case with lights which brands would you suggest ?
For your son? How much do you want to spend and what size?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #48
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes it for my son I'll be transferring the parts from muffins computer and into one with flashy lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #49
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes it for my son I'll be transferring the parts from muffins computer and into one with flashy lights.
Is the motherboard ATX or mATX?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #50
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Who Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Is the motherboard ATX or mATX?
Based on the picture that muffking posted it looks like it would be an mATX board in there, ATX might be a stretch unless it is incredibly long!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #51
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post
Based on the picture that muffking posted it looks like it would be an mATX board in there, ATX might be a stretch unless it is incredibly long!
Then I would suggest this Antec one, Antec are one of the best case manufacturers and this one has a flashy RGB light on the front and a glass side panel to show off any lights inside the case:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/ante...or-microatx-mi
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #52
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Just about to order the new case and was going to add a wireless network card. Which one do you guys use ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 02:14 AM   #53
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Quote:
Just about to order the new case and was going to add a wireless network card. Which one do you guys use ?
My desktop is always lan cabled so not up to date on wireless cards or usb sticks. Is there no way of running a cat6 cable to your sons pc? Would probably be the best for gaming to prevent high ping rates & any drop off mid game. The only thing I have wireless is the phone & tablet, but if wireless is your only option look for whichever is compatible with the router your have.
      11-06-2019, 06:23 AM   #54
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how close the computer would be to the router, if it is close I would connect with a CAT6 cable like mentioned above. If it is further you could do one of two things.

1.) Use a powerful wireless card with external antena's, I used an ASUS one before I wired up. The most recent the wireless standard the better (assuming your router can use that standard) otherwise the highest standard your router can use. Most routers these days are AC. You can get a decent one for £40-£50.

I used this one as you can move the antenna's rather than being stuck against a wall and the PC.

2.) Use a homeplug to effectively wire it but this can be limiting on speed depending on the overall speed of the network. Good homeplugs can be more expensive but can be more stable.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:07 AM   #55
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

The router will be quite abit away from my sons room so wired isn't really an option. I'll be moving house in a few weeks and switching to sky broadband because the new house hasn't got virgin so unsure which router I'll have
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:24 AM   #56
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The router will be quite abit away from my sons room so wired isn't really an option. I'll be moving house in a few weeks and switching to sky broadband because the new house hasn't got virgin so unsure which router I'll have
Their router will be able to transmit on the AC standard, so a decent AC receiver would be perfect. The one I linked did well when the router was on the 2nd floor through 2 walls.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #57
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Quote:
i'd recommend this powerline adapter over wireless network card especially if his room is far away from the router or if you have thick walls and connection is poor.

you plug one into the router and one into the pc via ethernet. The connection runs through your electric socket.

I've been using one for months, even streaming. Never lost connection mid game

https://amzn.to/2qpO01I
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #58
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

The Powerline HomePlug standard is getting a little dated somewhat. New G.hn standard is quicker. Debating whether to update my Devolo 1200s to the Magic 2 series which has theoretical data rates up to 2400 Mbps - not that I’d expect to get close to that figure.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #59
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Am I looking at the right magic 2 at £160 😲
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #60
gelogelo
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D M SPORT

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
The Powerline HomePlug standard is getting a little dated somewhat. New G.hn standard is quicker. Debating whether to update my Devolo 1200s to the Magic 2 series which has theoretical data rates up to 2400 Mbps - not that I’d expect to get close to that figure.
agree but for £20-30 quid u can't go wrong. doubt he'd be needing something that can go upto 2400 mpbs for daily gaming lol
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #61
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Am I looking at the right magic 2 at £160 😲
You’d need the LAN starter kit which is £129.99 on Amazon. The standard 1200 version which I’ve been running for a while with no issues is £58.99
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #62
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

Think I may try the home plug route. I was thinking about buying the bt mini whole home WiFi but I could spend a little more and get a set of home plugs with WiFi built in.

I've just ordered the case that's linked above but unsure if the fan inside gives out any flashy lights. What have you guys done inside your computer to give off the 'gaming' look with lights etc
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 04:58 PM   #63
Vasumir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i

Quote:
Think I may try the home plug route. I was thinking about buying the bt mini whole home WiFi but I could spend a little more and get a set of home plugs with WiFi built in.

I've just ordered the case that's linked above but unsure if the fan inside gives out any flashy lights. What have you guys done inside your computer to give off the 'gaming' look with lights etc
I personally avoid the RGB craze of flashing lights these days.... it's a bit like under floor neons on cars for me .

However, if I was going to go down that route, I'd get one of the Corsair crystal series cases. They do look lovely and would show off everything. Corsair cases are probably some of the best to build with too in terms of ease.

if mATX I'd go for this:
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Catego.../CC-9011137-WW

But they do normal tower designs too.
Not read the entire thread but I hope people recommended a motherboard that supports nvme M2 drives to you, the speed is insane.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 03:15 AM   #64
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Like said above avoid flashy RGB fans as the fun factor would die off quickly and they are expensive(ish). You can easily get single coloured LED fans which give a clean look, or simply some LED strips which can plug into the fan headers on the board. Be aware that you will need to make sure you have sufficient headers to use the fans.

I am a fan of a clean white but these also come in red and blue.

Or you could go with some LED strips which plug into the PSU's 4 pin peripheral connectors.

Check the fan mounting points on the case to make sure you buy the correct size. Most cases have 120mm/140mm mounting points on the front and top. The one you've ordered has some RGB lighting on the front of the case which can be enough, but if you want something inside 120mm fans would be fine as all of it's mounting points support them (or 140mm). You would want fans which promote airflow really, which is why I linked the corsair AF series. Have a look on the internet for some fan mounting guides to make sure you have a good intake/outtake setup (not that the temps will get high enough to really trouble it).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #65
Slacky
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was thinking of getting the Corsair 3 pack 120mm fans. I was going to put one in the back and 2 In the top
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #66
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was thinking of getting the Corsair 3 pack 120mm fans. I was going to put one in the back and 2 In the top
Since you already have a fan on the back included with the case, I would put a fan or two on the front (to bring in the cool air) and the remainder on the top (to help exhaust the hot air with the back fan). Optimally you would fill the fan slots (3 front, 2 top) for maximum airflow (3 intake, 3 exhaust), but I highly doubt the PC will reach temperatures that would need it.
Appreciate 0