F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Looking to tune/upgrade stock 440i
Extreme Powerhouse

11-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Lukas Papwick
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 440i M-Sport+ MPPSK

Question Looking to tune/upgrade stock 440i

Hi there, first post on here but have been a voyeur for a while!

I have a stock 440i M Sport that I知 looking to get a bit more power and excitement out of. I知 doing a bit of research but would like to hear from people who know what they池e doing / have used the products.

I知 undecided between the RaceChip Black and a Stage 2 + downpipe installation. If anyone can help me decide between the two or any other viable options I壇 massive appreciate it! The RaceChip is halfback the price and an easy install but is a stage 2 tune and downpipe going to give me a big performance boost?

Also, I知 toying with the idea of upgrading my exhaust at some point in the future. Will what I install now help or hinder this?

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Did you lease or purchase the vehicle?

BMW 'factory tune' MPPSK - which includes an exhaust as well - comes with a warranty if that's important.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Hi mate... Get over to the b58 forum... Lots of guys trying different things... The new year should bring a few more mapping options and bits and pieces.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:44 AM   #4
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 440i M-Sport+ MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Papwick View Post

I have a stock 440i M Sport that I’m looking to get a bit more power and excitement out of. I’m doing a bit of research but would like to hear from people who know what they’re doing / have used the products.

I’m undecided between the RaceChip Black and a Stage 2 + downpipe installation. If anyone can help me decide between the two or any other viable options I’d massive appreciate it! The RaceChip is halfback the price and an easy install but is a stage 2 tune and downpipe going to give me a big performance boost?

Also, I’m toying with the idea of upgrading my exhaust at some point in the future. Will what I install now help or hinder this?

Cheers!
Quote:

I have a stock 440i M Sport that I’m looking to get a bit more power and excitement out of. I’m doing a bit of research but would like to hear from people who know what they’re doing / have used the products.

I’m undecided between the RaceChip Black and a Stage 2 + downpipe installation. If anyone can help me decide between the two or any other viable options I’d massive appreciate it! The RaceChip is halfback the price and an easy install but is a stage 2 tune and downpipe going to give me a big performance boost?

Also, I’m toying with the idea of upgrading my exhaust at some point in the future. Will what I install now help or hinder this?

Cheers!
I got the MPPSK after owning my 440i GC for 6 months. It transformed the car, really felt as though that's how it should have been from the beginning, a properly noticeable power increase and the sound is awesome from the M Performance exhaust, plus as others have said it keeps your warranty intact. Local BMW to me (Marshalls) wanted about £3k, however on the recommendation of people on this forum I spoke to Aran at Cooper BMW in Reading who is an awesome guy, a proper enthusiast, and did it for just under £2k! Well worth the drive to Reading.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:12 AM   #5
Lukas Papwick
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Did you lease or purchase the vehicle?

BMW 'factory tune' MPPSK - which includes an exhaust as well - comes with a warranty if that's important.
I purchased the car around a year ago.

What differences are there between the MPPSK tune and exhaust and say an Armytrix exhaust system in terms of performance and sound?

Thanks for the replies btw. I値l definitely have a look into the MPPSK and pricing with different BMW affiliates.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #6
hudson012003
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i Msport Tanzanite blue

Quote:
I purchased the car around a year ago.

What differences are there between the MPPSK tune and exhaust and say an Armytrix exhaust system in terms of performance and sound?

Thanks for the replies btw. I値l definitely have a look into the MPPSK and pricing with different BMW affiliates.
Have a look at Remus cat back exhaust system as well.

I致e got it on my 340i & eight months later it sounds even better than when first fitted. One of the other forum guys (Jay) introduced me to Remus - he had his fitted by http://motechperformance.co.uk who apparently have close links with Remus - there are a few threads on here if you use the search. Good luck with whatever you choose....
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Not sure about the Armytrix but for MPPSK (according to BMW's own figures) it's:

- Power: Up from 325bhp to ~360bhp.
- Torque: Up from 450Nm to 500Nm (auto) or 480Nm (manual).
- 0-60mph: Reduced by 0.2s (auto).
- Fuel: Consumption is comparable compared to stock.
- iDrive: Power/torque displays updated.

MPPSK installation is supposed to take an hour according to the manual but it's more like a day (two days in my case because they didn't do the software properly first time).

As for sound, very difficult as it's subjective but general consensus seems to be that it's brilliant! Quite a few videos out there giving examples of what it's like.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Lukas Papwick
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all the responses - mega helpful!

The MPPSK is the route I'm looking to take, but I've been quoted 」3k+ by Sytner Nottingham...! Looking for somewhere able to do it for under 」2k, but not looking likely at the moment.

I'm going to be getting a remap next week as a starter step. Seems to be anyone involved with remapping or chips says the other side is a bad idea... Can someone give me a more impartial view? Would getting a remap and then adding RaceChip see further improvements or would it be risky?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #9
Lukas Papwick
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, I've been looking at adding an F Series B58 intake. Has anyone got any experience with these? Apparently a 7-10hp increase and potentially a nicer sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses - mega helpful!

The MPPSK is the route I'm looking to take, but I've been quoted 」3k+ by Sytner Nottingham...! Looking for somewhere able to do it for under 」2k, but not looking likely at the moment.

I'm going to be getting a remap next week as a starter step. Seems to be anyone involved with remapping or chips says the other side is a bad idea... Can someone give me a more impartial view? Would getting a remap and then adding RaceChip see further improvements or would it be risky?
If you get it remapped then surely that makes the MPPSK upgrade pointless doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:08 AM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Blue Bell BMW Crewe are still advertising the MPPSK on eBay at 」1699 + 」204 fitting.

There are one or two who have gone down the MPPSK path and then had a different map done. BMWiltshire has done it in his '440i - tuned and dyno at 444hp with minimal mods' thread.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:16 AM   #12
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Blue Bell BMW Crewe are still advertising the MPPSK on eBay at £1699 + £204 fitting.

There are one or two who have gone down the MPPSK path and then had a different map done. BMWiltshire has done it in his '440i - tuned and dyno at 444hp with minimal mods' thread.
Yep I stuck with the MPPSK for the first 2 and a bit years of owning the car so I could keep the warranty intact - now in the final year of warranty all bets are off and the car will get a load of mods in 2019

OP - if the car is new or has loads of warranty left then I think you'd be mad to get it chipped by anyone other than BMW. I had to take mine back for a diff issue after about 18months and if they'd seen it had been mapped I imagine they'd have just blamed any diff problem on the extra power going through it and washed their hands of it.

The MPPSK gives a real boost to performance and noise and was enough to keep me happy for over a year before I started to get itchy modding feet.

That all not withstanding, if you want to get it mapped non-BMW then I can highly recommend DMS Automotive - there's others on here who've used them and also been very pleased, we're all ru ning approx 440bhp with no issues
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:21 AM   #13
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Also just seen this on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M-Per...m4383.l4275.c1

」1499 for the kit, the cheapest yet? Seems like it's being sold by Coopers BMW based in the east of the country.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:22 AM   #14
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Also, I've been looking at adding an F Series B58 intake. Has anyone got any experience with these? Apparently a 7-10hp increase and potentially a nicer sound.
I have this intake on mine. There's no noticeable difference to the power, however you do here a bit more of a 'swoosh' noise as the turbo spools up, which I like.

That being said, I am going to replace it with the Eventuri intake in the new year, as this also replaces the factory resonator box which means more noise! Also lots more money though - the Afe intake does the same for about £500 I think, it just doesn't look as cool
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:27 AM   #15
BMWiltshire
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Also just seen this on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M-Per...m4383.l4275.c1

£1499 for the kit, the cheapest yet? Seems like it's being sold by Coopers BMW based in the east of the country.
Coopers did mine, £1,995 Inc fitting, took them about 5hrs - it's a 20min walk into town so I went to the cinema and had a walk around while they were at it!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:38 AM   #16
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Can someone give me a more impartial view? Would getting a remap and then adding RaceChip see further improvements or would it be risky?
Don't do both. If warranty is not an issue get the DMS remap. Boxes like Racechip often just fudge the boost pressure sensor without any regard to correcting the air/fuel ratio. At low levels you can get away with this but if the car is already mapped it's pretty risky, and probably won't give good results either. If you have a target in mind speak to some proper tuners about a strategy for achieving it rather than trying to bodge together different power adders.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #17
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

MPPSK + JB4.... it's the future

Not only does the JB4 add more power, it adds epic noise to the MPPSK too.

I only run on map 1 but with the EWG cable you can custom configure to over 420bhp on map 6.

Note that the MPPSK increases fuel limits so it's not risky like many say. I've ran mine for 5k miles now.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #18
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post

I only run on map 1 but with the EWG cable you can custom configure to over 420bhp on map 6.

Note that the MPPSK increases fuel limits so it's not risky like many say. I've ran mine for 5k miles now.
Agree with this, although I'd go for just the JB+ , should see a little over 400hp and a huge whack of torque

I have JB+ on my 240i which is a bit like an MPPSK tune as standard. Dyno'd just under 400, and not set to max.

OP, don't waste your money on a sports cat or decat, the stock cat flows really well and.....well is legal, unlike a decat.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 07:22 AM   #19
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:

Agree with this, although I'd go for just the JB+ , should see a little over 400hp and a huge whack of torque

I have JB+ on my 240i which is a bit like an MPPSK tune as standard. Dyno'd just under 400, and not set to max.
But you miss the best bit of the MPPSK - the car back exhaust system which is phenomenal and so much better than a standard MPE.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:01 AM   #20
Lukas Papwick
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers for the answers/advice. Looking at getting the MPPSK from Sycamore in Peterborough or Coopers. Will probably give the chip/remap from 3rd party a swerve for the moment. My car's from 2016 so I think I've got a year left on the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:13 PM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:

But you miss the best bit of the MPPSK - the car back exhaust system which is phenomenal and so much better than a standard MPE.
I don't have a standard exhaust
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #22
Lukas Papwick
United Kingdom
Rep

Went with the MPPSK in the end. Got it installed for 」1599 at Coopers in Durham. Got to say it's much better than I expected and definitely worth the money and the peace of mind that an official BMW part provides.

The sound is far nicer than what you'll hear in Youtube videos and is noticeably different. It feels like an entirely new car! Highly recommend it if you're considering it.
Appreciate 1