F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Sedan_Clan's Personal Trainer Thread
Extreme Powerhouse

08-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #1233
Halewafa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO/SO M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
It depends on what you're trying to accomplish and how your body reacts to cardio. The advice that you received was sound simply because you don't want to burn all of your glycogen stores, etc. on cardio. Use it to move the weight, and then follow up your workout with low impact/low intensity cardio. No need to go balls to the wall. Slow & steady (...with long duration) will get you there. I've tried all of the approaches (..fasted cardio first thing in the morning, two-a-days, post-workout cardio, etc.), and each approach has it's pluses and minuses.
Great thanks. I'll stick to cardio post workout for a while to see how it goes. I just climb on the stair master. I'll be honest, I HATE cardio, so I usually only last 10 minutes before stopping. Not because I'm tired, just bored. Is 10 minutes at 50/steps a minute even going to accomplish anything (only about 100 calories burnt).

My goal is to lose some fat while maintaining or even gaining muscle. So far it seems to be working, just going very slowly. I've lost about 2 pounds on the scale in the last 2 months, but my pants are getting loose and I continue to PR every week in the gym.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 02:23 PM   #1234
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

On the scale, remember muscle weighs more than fat. So if the waist is shrinking but the scale shows the same total, you are probably moving in the right direction
Appreciate 1
gthal1901.00
      08-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #1235
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halewafa View Post
Great thanks. I'll stick to cardio post workout for a while to see how it goes. I just climb on the stair master. I'll be honest, I HATE cardio, so I usually only last 10 minutes before stopping. Not because I'm tired, just bored. Is 10 minutes at 50/steps a minute even going to accomplish anything (only about 100 calories burnt).

My goal is to lose some fat while maintaining or even gaining muscle. So far it seems to be working, just going very slowly. I've lost about 2 pounds on the scale in the last 2 months, but my pants are getting loose and I continue to PR every week in the gym.
To be honest, if you're not doing at least 30 minutes (...preferably 45-60 minutes depending on the goal and your current body composition), you're really wasting your time. The stairclimber is an extremely effective fat shredding tool (...as is walking on a steep incline on the treadmill at a slow/moderate pace). Both of the aforementioned cardio apparatuses are the body builder's fat shredding tools of choice; we use them because they work. The trainer in me assesses visually rather than through arbitrary numbers. Your weight may not change much at all, but your body composition can/might do a complete 180.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #1236
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
On the scale, remember muscle weighs more than fat. So if the waist is shrinking but the scale shows the same total, you are probably moving in the right direction
Very true... I've gone up 3 lbs over my lightest weight but my BF% dropped to around 8%. It's hard not to be paranoid when you see the scale stay the same or go up because it's harder to see 1lb of muscle gained than it is to see 1lb of fat lost.

My advice is to measure your waist and get calipers to do 3 or 7 point measurements. They won't be completely accurate but at least they are good to compare changes in BF% if you are consistent in how and where you measure.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #1237
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Question to everyone here, what kind of a diet are you guys keeping or doing to keep your physique? I've been using my fitness pal and trying to calories, and the type of food I am eating. Long story short, lost a lot of weight, hovering at a certain weight, gained weight, but still went down in waist size. I feel like I need to fine tune my diet even further to get the physique I want.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #1238
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla
Question to everyone here, what kind of a diet are you guys keeping or doing to keep your physique? I've been using my fitness pal and trying to calories, and the type of food I am eating. Long story short, lost a lot of weight, hovering at a certain weight, gained weight, but still went down in waist size. I feel like I need to fine tune my diet even further to get the physique I want.
What kind of physique do you want?
Appreciate 1
gthal1901.00
      08-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #1239
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
This is the right first question for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanszilla View Post
I watch my macros, eat nutritionally and track everything I eat. Nothing fancy... no cycling, fasting, etc... just basics. I used online calculators to estimate my maintenance calories and then experimented a bit to get the right number. They I adjust depending on whether I want to cut, lean bulk or maintain. I've decided to get lean and then eat around maintainance and it's been pretty easy. I ensure that over the week, I hit my maintenance calories. That way, I can be a little over or a little under in any given day to accommodate life but ensure I'm on for the week. I can maintain a sub 10% BF level and continue to build strength doing it. It's all about calories in and calories out... very basic, nothing fancy.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      08-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #1240
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal
Quote:
This is the right first question for sure

Quote:
I watch my macros, eat nutritionally and track everything I eat. Nothing fancy... no cycling, fasting, etc... just basics. I used online calculators to estimate my maintenance calories and then experimented a bit to get the right number. They I adjust depending on whether I want to cut, lean bulk or maintain. I've decided to get lean and then eat around maintainance and it's been pretty easy. I ensure that over the week, I hit my maintenance calories. That way, I can be a little over or a little under in any given day to accommodate life but ensure I'm on for the week. I can maintain a sub 10% BF level and continue to build strength doing it. It's all about calories in and calories out... very basic, nothing fancy.
Great response, and it tidied up his inquiry nicely.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #1241
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
To be honest, if you're not doing at least 30 minutes (...preferably 45-60 minutes depending on the goal and your current body composition), you're really wasting your time. The stairclimber is an extremely effective fat shredding tool
Two things: a)are you still lurking the fwy in Rancho? b) I agree on that point. When I lost 45 lbs in 3 months, most of my workout was extreme cardio. I ran 5 miles, then stair master for 45 minutes, and last elyptical for 30 minutes. My eating didn't Change much, and I was able to shed those unwanted pounds.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #1242
F80_M
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1/1 PSM F80, F36, G11

Quote:
Are you looking to have a lean/cut physique or something more bulky and cut?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 07:22 PM   #1243
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80_M
Quote:
Are you looking to have a lean/cut physique or something more bulky and cut?
I'm trying to get into a lean/cut build. I'm not trying to toss out my entire ward robe. I'd like to stay the same size, just a bit more cut.

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #1244
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
cool thread. In for updates.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #1245
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Have any good chest workout routine's, brah?

My body isn't really responding to my routine anymore.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #1246
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingwan View Post

What is your current routine?
Appreciate 1
gthal1901.00
      10-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #1247
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

Quote:

Incorporate isometric training.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #1248
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Not responding in what way? Size or strength? You don't necessarily need to change the routine as long as you are continuing to progress in strength and/or reps because, as we know, progressively overloading your muscle will result in muscle gain all else equal.

If you are stuck and plateauing at a strength level (and therefore not building muscle as effectively) then there are strategies to break that plateau.

Also, check your diet... maybe your routine is fine but your diet sucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2016, 05:31 AM   #1249
InternetFame
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F80 ZCP 6MT, '11 R55 S 6MT

That too.
Appreciate 0