F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Customized Exhaust
Studio RSR

05-02-2018, 06:07 PM   #1
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 VW Jetta GLI

Customized Exhaust

Hey everybody, I'm sorta new here, not really "new" i'm just a creeper.

I put an exhaust on the car, to be honest, I just welded it on there because i wasn't sure i was going to like it. However, for those of you who don't want to go the muffler delete option or the super expensive full exhaust replacement, I thought i'd upload a sound byte for you to see if maybe this might be something you're interested in getting too!

Right now the muffler has a stock resonator on the car still, i just took my car in for warranty repair at 52k for a seized turbo, luckily it was still covered by my CPO plan. Now that it's not spitting plumes of smoke out the exhaust heres what it sounds like with a little juice. Tell me your thoughts. I'm happy with the sound, therefore i'm going to finish it with the correct piping and relocate it to a better spot instead of at the back half.

It's been a super long time since i've posted on a forum to share anything, so if i'm in the wrong area, let me know!

Really good interior sound, no drone, whats your thoughts for the sound? I almost wanted to go a little louder, but i figure once i go catless downpipe, i figure it'll open up and be even louder

for those who may be interested, I ordered the part on amazon for approx 90$ USD and had the exhaust installed towards the rear section maintaining factory exhaust flap functionality for 120$ USD, so this exhaust cost me 215$ with tax.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #2
Ownnij
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

pretty nice. i think you would've been able to get it done cheaper at a exhaust shop. i paid 120.00 total with parts at my local exhaust shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

What muffler is this? And your location description is a bit confusing.
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Vibrant 1119 3' is the muffler it's using everything else is factory.

Right now it's right under neath the trunk and split into a Y. The problem with it is that from the back, it looks like it's out of place because it has to hang lower. So i'm going to be moving it closer to the middle of the vehicle and then running the y piping from the diff area.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #5
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownnij View Post
pretty nice. i think you would've been able to get it done cheaper at a exhaust shop. i paid 120.00 total with parts at my local exhaust shop.
Mann, i live in Tulsa, ever since street outlaws, everybody here thinks they're a "drag shop" thus the pricing being so much higher than i would of liked, I didn't feel like arguing, so i just paid it to see if i even liked the way it sounded..and since i do, i'm going to have another shop readjust it, and cut the resonator to see what difference it makes.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #6
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKZILLA View Post
Quote:
Vibrant 1119 3' is the muffler it's using everything else is factory.

Right now it's right under neath the trunk and split into a Y. The problem with it is that from the back, it looks like it's out of place because it has to hang lower. So i'm going to be moving it closer to the middle of the vehicle and then running the y piping from the diff area.
Ohhhhh ok got it. After Googling the part it makes more sense. So the y split is on the exit aide of the unit like AWE? It sounds nice.

I have two n1 style mufflers hanging around from an old project (Audi) but I believe it may be difficult go fit them in under the trunk becuase of their length. I believe it would be difficult to route to the inlets since the mufflers would have to be perpendicular to the bumper cut out

They are sort of the same as this vibrant unit other than the tips being already a part of the unit. I've seen them on e90s before and they look nice.

Do you think you would have been able to fit two of the vibrants with tips under there?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ohhhhh ok got it. After Googling the part it makes more sense. So the y split is on the exit aide of the unit like AWE? It sounds nice.

I have two n1 style mufflers hanging around from an old project (Audi) but I believe it may be difficult go fit them in under the trunk becuase of their length. I believe it would be difficult to route to the inlets since the mufflers would have to be perpendicular to the bumper cut out

They are sort of the same as this vibrant unit other than the tips being already a part of the unit. I've seen them on e90s before and they look nice.

Do you think you would have been able to fit two of the vibrants with tips under there?
Honestly, I would say you should definitely be able to fit them under there. I'm eager to see what it will sound like with the resonator removed, but where i'm at now, the tips of the exhaust still have about 15-18inches between the end of the muffler and where they connect to the piping. I bought this on a guess hoping it would maintain somewhat stock levels of interior noise, and it definitely does. So now that i'm certain I want to keep it, i'm gonna go ahead and make it purdy.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 04:05 PM   #8
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly, I would say you should definitely be able to fit them under there. I'm eager to see what it will sound like with the resonator removed, but where i'm at now, the tips of the exhaust still have about 15-18inches between the end of the muffler and where they connect to the piping. I bought this on a guess hoping it would maintain somewhat stock levels of interior noise, and it definitely does. So now that i'm certain I want to keep it, i'm gonna go ahead and make it purdy.
Hmmmm let us know when you remove that resonator. I'm going to get up on some ramps and see how these fit. They are about 5" than the vibrant unit you have

Edit: looking again and comparing just the body lengths the vibrant is longer by 2"!! 14" v the n1 style's 12".
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 04:44 PM   #9
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmmm let us know when you remove that resonator. I'm going to get up on some ramps and see how these fit. They are about 5" than the vibrant unit you have

Edit: looking again and comparing just the body lengths the vibrant is longer by 2"!! 14" v the n1 style's 12".
As soon as i do, i'm going to redo the video, see if i can't get fly-bys before and after and what not finish documenting.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #10
Ownnij
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Mann, i live in Tulsa, ever since street outlaws, everybody here thinks they're a "drag shop" thus the pricing being so much higher than i would of liked, I didn't feel like arguing, so i just paid it to see if i even liked the way it sounded..and since i do, i'm going to have another shop readjust it, and cut the resonator to see what difference it makes.
bro regardless i think it's hands down better than buying a $1000.00 axleback..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2018, 08:20 PM   #11
izaazk
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Interested in seeing how this sounds with a catless Downpipe...

If anyone's done it post a video please!!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #12
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izaazk View Post
Interested in seeing how this sounds with a catless Downpipe...

If anyone's done it post a video please!!
It's coming soon, I just bought wheels, so i'm "recouping" my funds right now lol gotta be careful as i'm in a transition into a different line of work, so i got the wheels right now.

Currently waiting on their arrival and then I've gotta order the TPMS and tires. If i can wing it. But i would agree that if anybody else has this same setup, please share!

I bought this and couldn't find any sound profiling, just ended up going for it because I've had good luck with their resonators.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #13
BLKZILLA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownnij View Post
bro regardless i think it's hands down better than buying a $1000.00 axleback..
This is 100000% true, I was thinking about purchasing the "official" exhaust options but all of them seemed to provide nothing special other than nice welds and flap control, all of which don't matter to me. I live in oklahoma where i drive the car on salted wintery roads or wet roads and so the exhaust is generally gonna rust ANYWAY to some extent.

With that being said, I am completely happy with my purchase and for a muffler at less than 100$ with exceptional quality, plus labor, this is by far a VERY clean sound, increased volume just slightly, exterior wise, it's much more pronounced, but interior remains stock like if you ask me. I'm intending to try and get major setups that people might have, so i'm going cut resonator, then downpipe. Hoping to do that all next friday and order it in. So i'll try and get a NON potato cam video lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 07:59 AM   #14
JaredG_F30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i, M-Sport, Manual

2014 F30 335i, M-Sport, 6MT, V804s, custom exhaust, CTS Turbo Intake & IC, FTP CP, VRSF DP, TMS Strut Brace, BM3 Stg 2, AEM WMI, H&R Sport Springs (381 whp, 429 wtq on Cali 91oct before WMI).
SPI Films Blog/DIY Vids
Appreciate 0