F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Fuel Tank level sender issue - input requested
Studio RSR

03-15-2020, 05:47 AM   #1
loanheadhouse
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Msport 2014

Fuel Tank level sender issue - input requested

Okay so i'm on a F31 320D manufactured Dec 13 . Car runs/ drives fine but fuel gauge is displaying wrong information . Issue is with fuel tank and signals sent from it about fuel level. Nb This issue Is common with many other 1 / 3 /4 series diesel engined cars of a similar age as they all use the same tank and pump and level measuring components / methodology.

There are two fuel level measuring devices in the 'saddle' type fuel tank - 1 in each side of the saddle. Problem is that the LH side level measuring equipment is not accessible with tank in car as inside the car under rear seat squab there is only one access 'hatch' - which is on the right and has the main low pressure fuel pump directly below it [ and the RH fuel level measuring is part of that assembly].

Looking at pictures [ on ebay] of the tank from a F series diesel there is a round cover where the LH level equipment is going to be located.
Nb I have already established the LH unit is causing my problems [ and i've replaced the rh one anyway as its easy to do].

SO - my questions:
1. Can anybody tell me if the LH tank cover is actually removable or has it been welded or glued in place at manufacture ie is it worth dropping the tank so that i can get at it ?

If thats a no no then thoughts on a plan B are:
2. Electrically both float levels connect to the low pressure fuel pump. I could fabricate a connection so that the RH float feeds an electrical signal to both the LH & RH connectors. [ Obviously i'm only then getting a RH reading but i can live with that as the LH fuel is pumped to the RH anyway ]
But as it is resistance that is being measured how would the ECU interpret that? [ i'm not very good at electrical stuff] Any electrical experts out there? HighlandPete?

Can post pictures of tank / sender if anyone wants to see what i'm on about

All help appreciated!
The E30 was replaced by an E36 325tds which was replaced by a E46 320d touring which was replaced by an E91 320d . Then my F31 320d msport arrived ..... but i'm still driving my E91.....and ignoring the F31!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
dmaxdmax
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6-spd

I don't know about diesels, per se, but with the gas engine, the fuel pump and sending unit use a 'hall sensor' and get gunked up...sometimes 'hang up' and send the wrong level. Many e46s have run out of gas because they thought they had a quarter tank, when they had none.

I use Techron fuel system treatment...same as bmw stuff. Not sure what analog might work for a diesel, but I'm sure there's some...and maybe, over time, it'll start working again without your needing to rip into it at all.

In the meanwhile, just estimate your fuel needs based on mileage.

dmax on FB

My last pre-covid standup set
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 06:00 AM   #3
loanheadhouse
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Msport 2014

Thanks but have tried the 'non evasive' approach! Have been filling it every 500 miles to ensure i dont run out but want to actually fix it.
Appreciate 0