F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > NEED to get to UK
ARMA SPEED

10-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryg View Post
I'm getting better as well I can now type American English on my keyboard.
The thing is we can understand americans, but they can’t bloody understand us!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #24
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr August Schmidhuber View Post
They can't understand themselves
Good point.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #25
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
Most people who learn English as a second language learn American English, mainly from TV, Movies () & Music.
I'm getting better as well I can now type American English on my keyboard.
Shall we get back on topic and ask which is the best color for a BMW? Perhaps ask how big the G20 is, in meters or perhaps how much aluminum was used for that car?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #26
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Shall we get back on topic and ask which is the best color for a BMW? Perhaps ask how big the G20 is, in meters or perhaps how much aluminum was used for that car?

News to me "nee wonda me magnet il not stick to it"

Now its me American Geordie
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 03:24 AM   #27
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Can we just change all the sign pointing to Turkey and change them to United Kingdom.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 03:37 AM   #28
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr August Schmidhuber View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Could be that Britain is a country that they have heard of and been aiming for. Perhaps Holland is less well known, fairly or not.

We are quite well known in most parts of the world.
You're having a giraffe. Are you Diane Abacus?
Rather a lot of the immigrants that I know selected Britain as they knew the language and had a pre-conceived (often outdated) view of the culture and progressive nature of the society.

I'm pretty sure that a similar motivation applies to the more desperate refugees too.

Of course, it could be that they want to sit on the sofa consuming J Kyle and cheap lager, courtesy of her majesty's generous benefits system. That seems unlikely to me.

As espoused further up the thread, it could also be that a large percentage want to kill and maim us. The evidence of my own eyes tells me that that is also unlikely. I'm not seeing the link between laughing at desperate refugees and stopping lunatics, often born here, from committing acts of terror.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
1 AKY459.00
      10-10-2018, 03:54 AM   #29
Bibbles
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 540i MPPSK

I think the language is a big factor in wanting to come to the UK, the other reason why they try and get over here by any means is you can only apply for asylum to the UK when in the UK. We're actually not anywhere near the top number of applications or granting asylum in the EU so I don't think we actually have a massive problem as is reported in the media.
Appreciate 2
1 AKY459.00
      10-10-2018, 06:25 AM   #30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

If maybe there was an English speaking colonial power with an empire so big that the sun wouldn't set...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #31
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5557223 View Post
If maybe there was an English speaking colonial power with an empire so big that the sun wouldn't set...
There is one, called the United States of America: )
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #32
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Rather a lot of the immigrants that I know selected Britain as they knew the language and had a pre-conceived (often outdated) view of the culture and progressive nature of the society.

I'm pretty sure that a similar motivation applies to the more desperate refugees too.

Of course, it could be that they want to sit on the sofa consuming J Kyle and cheap lager, courtesy of her majesty's generous benefits system. That seems unlikely to me.

As espoused further up the thread, it could also be that a large percentage want to kill and maim us. The evidence of my own eyes tells me that that is also unlikely. I'm not seeing the link between laughing at desperate refugees and stopping lunatics, often born here, from committing acts of terror.

I cant see your reasoning here there is a difference between immigrants and refugees but you are using them in the same post.

Lets say you wanted to go/work in another country you would apply legally then you would be allowed or not allowed to enter that is immigration, the people mentioned are they immigrants or refugees there is a difference.
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      10-10-2018, 07:31 AM   #33
Oceanic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post
You mean turn the country in to a shit hole? Yep, I think we are

That ship has sailed I'm afraid, have you been to Bradford or Southall?
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      10-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Quote:

I cant see your reasoning here there is a difference between immigrants and refugees but you are using them in the same post.

Lets say you wanted to go/work in another country you would apply legally then you would be allowed or not allowed to enter that is immigration, the people mentioned are they immigrants or refugees there is a difference.
I'm saying that much of the reasoning applied in the past by the immigrants (that I know) may well be applied by (what I assume to be) refugees in the apparently humorous video mentioned in the OP.

Whether they are economic migrants or refugees is immaterial to my point about the appeal of GB.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #35
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm saying that much of the reasoning applied in the past by the immigrants (that I know) may well be applied by (what I assume to be) refugees in the apparently humorous video mentioned in the OP.

Whether they are economic migrants or refugees is immaterial to my point about the appeal of GB.
You make some good points and one specifically regarding the draw of the UK which definitely needs looking at.

The plight of the people in the video is a totally different matter a refugee will look for refuge away from where they have suffered they can go to a country nearby and seek safe haven, the people in the video if as you say refugees have passed many safe havens but no they want to be in the UK.
They were trying to get off the truck because it was going to Holland another safe haven, but they didn't want that either.
Refugees enter a country and are allowed to enter once checked but they don't want that either.
So the haulier in this case say was you and you got back to the UK and found these people in the back and reported them you would then be fined highly for bringing them in I don't think you would be so enthusiastic then. These people don't give a toss about you and who wants someone who has ILLEAGALY entered the country a fine way to start your new life being a criminal.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2018, 08:55 AM   #36
Zippee
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CP SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
That ship has sailed I'm afraid, have you been to Bradford or Southall?
No. I don't qualify for the immigration rulings.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #37
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_M4CP View Post
No. I don't qualify for the immigration rulings.
No problem you will be fine you drive a BMW
Appreciate 0