F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Bootmod3 - please advise :)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-08-2017, 11:13 AM   #89
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by afranke View Post
Not great, actually, and I wonder if most of it was due to operator error (not me, as I was just a bystander). I'm currently looking around for another dyno to run on, and if it does the same thing, then I guess I have a problem to find. Here's how the day went:

1) BM3 final tune, put 385WHP
2) Stock Tune does 320WHP
3) Back to same BM3 tune, 420WHP/465WTQ

I don't think any of these numbers are correct. The last dyno I had on this same machine about a month or so ago was on a lower boost tune with a misfire on one cylinder and it made 416WHP. This current tune feels WAAAAY stronger, and I know is making significantly more boost. I looked at some of the logs I had from the runs and it looks to me like the guy 'driving' didn't know how to get a solid pull in 4th without a kickdown so he babied it a bit too much.

I pulled a few times against a stock Camaro SS (455HP crank) later in the day and we were pretty much dead even, but then got whooped by a 335is that claims only JB4 and catless downs. Logs look OK to me, but I'm no expert (clearly) otherwise I wouldn't feel like I have no idea what's going on.
How was the battery when you did the dyno? If for whatever reason it was exhausted you're losing 50Nm or 37lb.ft and probably about 35hp, which is exactly what you've got between 1 and 3...
      05-08-2017, 11:18 AM   #90
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
How was the battery when you did the dyno? If for whatever reason it was exhausted you're losing 50Nm or 37lb.ft and probably about 35hp, which is exactly what you've got between 1 and 3...
The AH3 is not easy to Dyno. I think you need at least 3 to 4 runs to have a good idea. My numbers last week went from 345 / 440nm to 353 / 513nm.
All with +95% battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #91
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackje View Post
Thanks for the update. That's strange.. and I believe you should be faster than the 335iS.
I tested against a m135i manual and m235i 8AT with both JB4 and downpipe and it was a draw.
Do you have a dyno graph?

Here are my numbers:
Stock 323 / 397nm

Stage 1 Flash tune: 397 / 578nm

After two weeks: Went in limp mode several times, so I went back.
They restricted the torque. Don't know the numbers.

After 4 weeks: Went in limp mode a few times again, brought the car back, they restricted the torque again. Didn't know the numbers untill last week:

Dyno last week (after 8 months): 353hp / 513nm

I'm not happy with this last dyno result. I'm now going back to my tuner to have the 397/578 map activated on Sport+.
In this case I don't think I will encounter any limp mode errors, because I barely drive on Sport+. And if that's doesn't work I'll also try BM3.

Kickdown is a problem on our cars, even in Sport+. I'm ordering the BMS Kickdown blocker.

However I think the 5th Gear is the correct Dyno gear? Or at least that's how they do it over here.

Will keep you posted!
Yeah, kickdown is a bitch. I swear "Manual" mode is just slightly-less-Automatic mode (as it kicks down and shifts up without me saying). I have the blocker, so I'll put that on next time. We did the pulls in 4th, so maybe 5th will be a better option next time. We also did them in Sport+, you think there's any benefit to using DSC off and manual instead? I don't like to drive that way on the street because I lose the tighter steering and suspension, but on a dyno it shouldn't matter.

I'll ask for the graphs, but they aren't much to look at from what I recall.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #92
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's a good point, and I honestly wasn't paying attention, but in my time with the AH3 I've never seen the battery drop below 80%. I don't think a dyno would change it, but who knows for sure. I'll keep an eye on that next time.
2013 ActiveHybrid 3 (335ih) • N55 PWG • Meisterschaft GT catback • Wagner tuning catless DP and Stage 2 Evo Comp Intercooler • ER chargepipes • CTS intake • io2V3 O2 simulator • Pure Stage 2 turbo with high-flow inlet and DV upgrade • Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP • JB4 ISO firmware • Fuel-It DIY PI Kit • bootmod3 •
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 01:22 PM   #93
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
That's a good point, and I honestly wasn't paying attention, but in my time with the AH3 I've never seen the battery drop below 80%. I don't think a dyno would change it, but who knows for sure. I'll keep an eye on that next time.
Do a 5 minute drive in Sport+ before you dyno. The battery keeps charging in Sport+!
Their will certainly be a difference on the dyno between a full and empty battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #94
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, kickdown is a bitch. I swear "Manual" mode is just slightly-less-Automatic mode (as it kicks down and shifts up without me saying). I have the blocker, so I'll put that on next time. We did the pulls in 4th, so maybe 5th will be a better option next time. We also did them in Sport+, you think there's any benefit to using DSC off and manual instead? I don't like to drive that way on the street because I lose the tighter steering and suspension, but on a dyno it shouldn't matter.

Always dyno on Sport+ (much better throttle responsiveness).
Does the BMS blocker work well? I just ordered it. It's so frustrating when pulling against a car and suddenly there is a kickdown.
When you pull your lever to the left, does it show S1/S2/S3? Or just DS?

And I believe 5th Gear is always recommended on the dyno. Right Darkiedm4?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #95
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do a 5 minute drive in Sport+ before you dyno. The battery keeps charging in Sport+!
Their will certainly be a difference on the dyno between a full and empty battery.
I pretty much always drive in Sport+, and I know I was in Sport+ during the 15 minute drive there and during every run we made. This makes me think the battery wasn't drained, but I can't say for sure as I wasn't watching that.

Quote:
Does the BMS blocker work well? I just ordered it. It's so frustrating when pulling against a car and suddenly there is a kickdown.

Haven't actually used the blocker yet, I might sometime this week just to test it out. When I pull the lever over, it's S1/S2/S3... until I hit a paddle or move the stick up or down, then it's M1/M2/M3....
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #96
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

OK, here's the dyno graphs (let me know if I formatted them incorrectly or am missing some information):

With OTS Tune after driving around with it for awhile

Stock Tune

Back to OTS Tune
Appreciate 1
frackje51.50
      05-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #97
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Dyno is in 5th gear manual (M5) for the 8AT and DSC OFF!!! Car will not kick-down in M5 - mine doesn't...
frackje51.50
      05-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #98
Bestodabest
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Xdrive

Why would the alternator be constantly charging in Sport+? Isn't that the one mode you'd want max performance, which would equate to minimal parasitic draw on the engine?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 12:55 AM   #99
PeterPure
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

Garage List
2017 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

5th gear manual mode dsc off
Appreciate 1
frackje51.50
      05-09-2017, 02:05 AM   #100
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestodabest View Post
Why would the alternator be constantly charging in Sport+? Isn't that the one mode you'd want max performance, which would equate to minimal parasitic draw on the engine?
Not exactly, it isn't the alternator here but the electric engine of the AH3 (in the gearbox) that plays this role and it's regenerating battery in all situations where you're braking/coasting, but conversely provides additional torque ("eBOOST") when accelerating.

Check this post here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791178

Also in the manual:
http://afvsafetytraining.com/downloa...brid3-2013.pdf

Quote:
eBOOST
Accelerating quickly, such as when passing, re‐
quires the maximum available power from the
electric motor. To do this, apply extra force to
the accelerator pedal.

Last edited by Lancelot; 05-09-2017 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 04:28 AM   #101
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
Dyno is in 5th gear manual (M5) for the 8AT and DSC OFF!!! Car will not kick-down in M5 - mine doesn't...
The AH3 still kick-downs in Manual..don't ask me why. Programming error perhaps .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestodabest View Post
I's the battery of the Activehybrid 3 I'm talking about .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
5th gear manual mode dsc off
Oops.
Quote:
Not exactly, it isn't the alternator here but the electric engine of the AH3 (in the gearbox) that plays this role and it's regenerating battery in all situations where you're braking/coasting, but conversely provides additional torque ("eBOOST") when accelerating.

Check this post here:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791178

Also in the manual:
http://afvsafetytraining.com/downloa...brid3-2013.pdf
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 08:55 AM   #102
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The AH3 still kick-downs in Manual..don't ask me why. Programming error perhaps .
I'm glad it's not just me then. I swear the non-AH3 doesn't do that. In my experience, Manual mode is only very just slightly manual. It seems to hold the gear just a little bit longer before it decides you have no idea what you're doing and need a different gear.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:27 AM   #103
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad it's not just me then. I swear the non-AH3 doesn't do that. In my experience, Manual mode is only very just slightly manual. It seems to hold the gear just a little bit longer before it decides you have no idea what you're doing and need a different gear.
Yes it seems like the AH3 has 8AT software instead of 8SAT. When i pull my lever to left it shows DS and M1/M2/.. like the normal 8AT. I heard an update solves this, but it looks like it only changes the gear display (S1/S2/..) but not the actual gearbox behavour. And yes this is extremely frustrating.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #104
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep

I got a software update last year, before it was DS now it's S1/S2/...
      05-09-2017, 10:06 AM   #105
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I got a software update last year, before it was DS now it's S1/S2/...
Yes but it still does a Kickdown in manual when you floor it right?
A real Sport-Automatic doesnt do that crap.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #106
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

After a Dyno my 335iH full stock have 295WHP

With a tmcmotorsport (+5psi settings) same day same Dyno table car show 330WHP
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #107
afranke
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post

Got graphs? Do you know what kind of dyno and what correction factor was being used?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 01:59 AM   #108
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Try to put a printscreen soon......

4th gear, DSC OFF, "start roller on secret menu ON"

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1178920
BMW F82 M4 Black MHD CS Map - GTS DKG - Navi -Performance Brake RSL1 Pads - USB - DivX-DVD - Bluetooth - VoiceControl - Connect - Apps - Online - H&K - TrafficInfo - SpLimInfo - WhiteMerino- PDC - Cam - Adaptive Led - Antitheft - CP Steering- Performance ST - Adaptive CP Setup - GarageDoorOpen - Pipercross - Stock Exhaust - Mdrivers Pack - 437M Wheels
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 02:06 AM   #109
franzzz
Captain
Italy
Rep

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 04:16 AM   #110
frackje
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzzz View Post

Full battery? And i think you should always ask for the runs per map.
Appreciate 0