F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > DTUK CRD3+ Discount code for forum members
proTUNING Freaks

09-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #45
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

As if by magic, I appear

Certainly no expert but can give you my experience of the RaceChip XLR throttle tuner.

I fitted it just over a week ago having purchased direct from RaceChip. I did a bit of research on the subject of tuning FBW throttles and thought it would be worth giving it a go. RaceChip do a 30 day money back so even if it was pants, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

How they work? As JLR has mentioned, the module adjusts the amplitude of the signal at a given setting. For example, if you press the accelerator 1cm, the signal may normally send out a value of 10 (potatoes, apples etc), at 2cm it sends 20 potatoes etc etc. With the pedal box, that value will be 15 at 1 cm, 30 at 2 cm. It not only changes the signal strength but also appears to be a rate change amplifier too. I.e the speed rate change is also increased.

Why you may ask? Some say pedal boxes are Snake Oil and dont really do anything, some say 'just press the pedal more/quicker'. All I can say is; they really do work.

Sure, they dont give you any more power whatsoever but the response in that early stage of the throttle is very quick and responsive now.

The RaceChip XLR has seven settings. Eco+, Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+, Race and Race+. Eco+ and Eco are akin to having a small damp sponge under your foot so I haven't used those settings. Normal basically reverts the throttle to the OEM setting of the car. Sport and Sport+ make it nice and crisp. Race and Race+ make the throttle telepathic and sharper than a very sharp razor blade.

To give you a comparison. When you select Sport in the usual way on the car, the throttle response sharpens, the gearbox sharpens its gearchange mode and the steering stiffens. All the box does is gives you independent control over that throttle sharpness in any vehicle mode. Comfort mode makes the car nice and comfy but throttle response is normal. Flicking the controller on XLR to Sport or Sport+ means you have the comfort but the quickness of throttle.

The XLR box is simple to fit. Unscrew the throttle pedal (one torx bolt), unclip it from its rear housing. Disconnect the pedal connector. Fit the XLR connector in to the throttle pedal and in to the disconnected harness. On the XLR box, fit the rotary remote controller and fit that somewhere to hand. Refit pedal and et voila. I got the XLR connected which has the ability to change modes via an app from the phone but I wouldnt bother with that as its easier to just spin the rotary controller.

Highly recommend.

In Sport+, manual gearshift and XLR set to Race+, my Stage 1 435d is fucking bonkers now!

Diagram to show how the signal is modified from demand on pedal.
Appreciate 2
      09-18-2017, 02:08 PM   #46
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
As if by magic, I appear

Certainly no expert but can give you my experience of the RaceChip XLR throttle tuner.

I fitted it just over a week ago having purchased direct from RaceChip. I did a bit of research on the subject of tuning FBW throttles and thought it would be worth giving it a go. RaceChip do a 30 day money back so even if it was pants, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

How they work? As JLR has mentioned, the module adjusts the amplitude of the signal at a given setting. For example, if you press the accelerator 1cm, the signal may normally send out a value of 10 (potatoes, apples etc), at 2cm it sends 20 potatoes etc etc. With the pedal box, that value will be 15 at 1 cm, 30 at 2 cm. It not only changes the signal strength but also appears to be a rate change amplifier too. I.e the speed rate change is also increased.

Why you may ask? Some say pedal boxes are Snake Oil and dont really do anything, some say 'just press the pedal more/quicker'. All I can say is; they really do work.

Sure, they dont give you any more power whatsoever but the response in that early stage of the throttle is very quick and responsive now.

The RaceChip XLR has seven settings. Eco+, Eco, Normal, Sport, Sport+, Race and Race+. Eco+ and Eco are akin to having a small damp sponge under your foot so I haven't used those settings. Normal basically reverts the throttle to the OEM setting of the car. Sport and Sport+ make it nice and crisp. Race and Race+ make the throttle telepathic and sharper than a very sharp razor blade.

To give you a comparison. When you select Sport in the usual way on the car, the throttle response sharpens, the gearbox sharpens its gearchange mode and the steering stiffens. All the box does is gives you independent control over that throttle sharpness in any vehicle mode. Comfort mode makes the car nice and comfy but throttle response is normal. Flicking the controller on XLR to Sport or Sport+ means you have the comfort but the quickness of throttle.

The XLR box is simple to fit. Unscrew the throttle pedal (one torx bolt), unclip it from its rear housing. Disconnect the pedal connector. Fit the XLR connector in to the throttle pedal and in to the disconnected harness. On the XLR box, fit the rotary remote controller and fit that somewhere to hand. Refit pedal and et voila. I got the XLR connected which has the ability to change modes via an app from the phone but I wouldnt bother with that as its easier to just spin the rotary controller.

Highly recommend.

In Sport+, manual gearshift and XLR set to Race+, my Stage 1 435d is fucking bonkers now!

Diagram to show how the signal is modified from demand on pedal.
You could have just said its better throttle response from foot to engine, and leave the rest of the bollocks out.

We know you're very brainy, as you fly heliwopters, no need to really rub it in.

Now go and laser some cows eh

PS. thanks
Appreciate 2
JLR19691882.00
      09-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #47
Darth Helmut
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 435d XD

Danny Fireblade , just for you;

Loud pedal better cos of wiggly amp stuff, yum yum, need food, burp.

Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 02:56 PM   #48
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmut View Post
Danny Fireblade , just for you;

Loud pedal better cos of wiggly amp stuff, yum yum, need food, burp.

Now that I understand..........except you only mentioned food once
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #49
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
Now that I understand..........except you only mentioned food once
Food food food food food food food food

That make you feel any better Danny
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #50
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Food food food food food food food food

That make you feel any better Danny
Yup
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:25 AM   #51
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Any other comments?
Rather than reply from the classifieds thread.

Early days, it's only been fitted for less than a day so not a great deal to report. Fitting was straight forward and took less than an hour, most of that was reading the instructions and figuring out where to put the box,which is behind the headlight and below the coolant expansion tank.
It was set up on program 2 when I install it and took it for a short spin. Everything was running well and a noticeable difference on pickup. Pulled over and increased it to +1 which is where it's been at since. Again a bit more pickup but smoother too. I'm still trying to calibrate my right foot to the increase as pulling out from junctions on the damp roads has had a bit slipping and the traction control coming on without being lead footed which it wouldn't do before.
I've reset the MPG to see how it translates to the economy too. Again early days but usual commute is showing around 10-12% improvement but will see how it pans out over a tank full for more realistic values.

I think Ashley (SquireTolley) who I bought it from summed it nicely in that comfort mode has now become sport. Over time I will see what Sport and Sport+ have become. For the price and ease of fitting it's a no brainer.
Only downsides is the auto gearbox seems a little confused at time and jumping down and up again with a little increase in the throttle. A gearbox reset may cure this which I'll try later to see how that goes.

This is on an F30 320D 184ps MSport for reference.

Last edited by Craig-SM; 09-21-2017 at 03:40 AM.. Reason: fat fingers
Appreciate 2
      09-21-2017, 05:33 AM   #52
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig-SM View Post
Rather than reply from the classifieds thread.

Early days, it's only been fitted for less than a day so not a great deal to report. Fitting was straight forward and took less than an hour, most of that was reading the instructions and figuring out where to put the box,which is behind the headlight and below the coolant expansion tank.
It was set up on program 2 when I install it and took it for a short spin. Everything was running well and a noticeable difference on pickup. Pulled over and increased it to +1 which is where it's been at since. Again a bit more pickup but smoother too. I'm still trying to calibrate my right foot to the increase as pulling out from junctions on the damp roads has had a bit slipping and the traction control coming on without being lead footed which it wouldn't do before.
I've reset the MPG to see how it translates to the economy too. Again early days but usual commute is showing around 10-12% improvement but will see how it pans out over a tank full for more realistic values.

I think Ashley (SquireTolley) who I bought it from summed it nicely in that comfort mode has now become sport. Over time I will see what Sport and Sport+ have become. For the price and ease of fitting it's a no brainer.
Only downsides is the auto gearbox seems a little confused at time and jumping down and up again with a little increase in the throttle. A gearbox reset may cure this which I'll try later to see how that goes.

This is on an F30 320D 184ps MSport for reference.

Just remember that the OBC will not work correctly now so you need to brim the tank and run it through and measure that way.

I also put Millers EcoMax in the tank now to keep everything clean and smooth.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #53
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

I expected as much and will do a manual calculation. With any look like the last time I mapped a car the reading become closer to the actual MPG.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #54
Stavnshell
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M850ix

Hi all. I've just bought a 430d and one of these DTUK boxes but have yet to install it. I'm just wondering if the sports dials of BHP and Torque on the OBC give a true reading? I'd just like to know how best to measure the actual effects of the tuning box changes. I have used a torque app on my phone previously and an OBD2 connector but don't feel that works accurately. Really hoping the OBC still works.
I'd also like to thank the forum member for the discount code. I checked the forum just before I clicked buy and found the code. £30 saved. Result.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 02:32 AM   #55
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stavnshell View Post
Hi all. I've just bought a 430d and one of these DTUK boxes but have yet to install it. I'm just wondering if the sports dials of BHP and Torque on the OBC give a true reading? I'd just like to know how best to measure the actual effects of the tuning box changes. I have used a torque app on my phone previously and an OBD2 connector but don't feel that works accurately. Really hoping the OBC still works.
I'd also like to thank the forum member for the discount code. I checked the forum just before I clicked buy and found the code. £30 saved. Result.
Thanks
The sports dials, which I think you're referring to, will not show the increase in power and torque. Even with a remap these need to be recoded in the ECU. They're more a gimmick anyway based on throttle position etc anyway as opposed to an accurate read out of engine power.

Only way to measure effect of the tuning box is to get to a dyno and do some before and after runs, but if you search on here you'll see others have done just that. Expect about 30bhp increase / 100nm of torque. These boxes do make good torque but I've yet to see one achieve advertised power.
      06-26-2018, 07:02 AM   #56
Burt4
Registered
Rep
Drives: F31 320 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturrock View Post
yeah that's where i stuck it. By that point i had a sweat on though and just wanted it done. It's fantastic though isn't it? Had a quick run tonight and was grinning like a kid when i put my foot down. All the flat spots have gone, so much smoother.

Hi, I’ve just purchased a 320xdrive F31 and reading through the thread, I’d be interested to see how the DTUK box is and if it worth getting one fitted.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #57
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8urton View Post
Quote:
yeah that's where i stuck it. By that point i had a sweat on though and just wanted it done. It's fantastic though isn't it? Had a quick run tonight and was grinning like a kid when i put my foot down. All the flat spots have gone, so much smoother.

Hi, I’ve just purchased a 320xdrive F31 and reading through the thread, I’d be interested to see how the DTUK box is and if it worth getting one fitted.

Thanks
I had one on my old Mazda 6 and 340i both of which were great especially in the 340i !
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #58
Burt4
Registered
Rep

Yeah. I’m just wondering how much it improved the 320d and if it is worth it before I buy one.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #59
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
Young burt the consensus here is that many have moved onto a remap after a tuning box. Yes the advantage of the box is it is DIY and can be removed whenever you go to the dealership or even put into an eco mode of sorts to make it appear as if there is no box. However, many threads on here talk of some hankering for more and caving into a remap. Some maps work out the same cost as a tuning box. The other thing is some claw back their money as they sell the box when they part with the car.

DTUK and Blue Spark are the main players for a box. Personally, I would say get a decent remap.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 01:56 PM   #60
Burt4
Registered
Rep

Thanks Surg_Capt_R, the issue is I had a 330d and miss a bit of the noise and fun, I just wondered how much it improved it.

I couldn’t find a decent replacement 330d so went with 320. I still have an option of returning the 320 and looking for a 330 or 335; they would just have a lot less kit ie sat nav, heated seats, tow bar etc

It would also be older or more mileage.

Last edited by Burt4; 06-27-2018 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13346.00